• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 |OT| I heard it has a single cable. Is this true?

Three

John said that the PSVR2 doesn't fog up like his other headsets.
The PSVR2 has a fan that pushes fresh air through the light shield area.

“When I started to work on the design for the PlayStation VR2 headset, one of the areas I wanted to focus on first was the idea of creating a vent in the headset to let air out, similar to the vents on the PS5 console that allows airflow," said Marisawa-san. "Our engineers came up with this idea as a good way to allow ventilation and avoid having the lens fog up while players are immersed in their VR games. I worked on many design concepts to achieve this, and in the final design, you can see there is a little space in between the top and front surface of the scope that contains the integrated ventilation. I am really proud of how this turned out and the positive feedback I have gotten so far. I hope our PlayStation fans will also agree, and I can’t wait for them to try it out.”

Last edited:

sachos

I thought the same, but then remembered that foveat rendering: when you are in, where you look at is just as sharp as the PS5, everything else is blurry.
So you dont just dont care, when you are in you do not see the blurriness :messenger_beaming:
For sure foveated rendering will take care of the resolution but thats not the only difference, there is a clear difference in shading/shadows/AO. Still looks really good.

Last edited:

DryvBy

I was hyped but just got mine and my expectations were drastically overhyped. I'm not impressed and debating sending this back. Unless someone can help me.

The image quality is better than the original, I'm not noticing the screen door stuff others have said on the internet, and the set up was a piece of cake. But the two biggest issues I had with the PSVR1 have returned excluding the tracking.

1) If you've played VR stuff before, you'll probably be a little annoyed with how you feel like a giant? For example, humans look thin and tiny versus normal sized or how they would in a game. I was hoping the eye tracking could fix this with but nope. I sat in a car in GT7 and felt like I was a giant still. It's so off-putting to me and is my number one biggest issue with headsets I've used.

2) when you move your head left to right, you get a small ghosting, or maybe it's called something else. It's like the lenses need to catch up to your movement and it slightly has a ghosted image from it.

3) I zoomed into the seats of a cars in GT7. You can see details and they don't look amazing. It's nothing more than zooming into a textured file and it looks worse.

I only had 15 minutes to play around but yeah, anyone who was oversold on the PSVR2 from these reviewers are going to be disappointed. They were so poetic about everything so it's not shocking.

Edit: my biggest issue was No 1 and adjusting height fixed this. This was the biggest problem with my post. This also made the graphics look better. So manually adjust your height to get over the hiccups.

And don't skip this Kayak game. It's mind blowing.

Last edited:

sachos

This guy is a hardcore PCVR guy and says that PSVR2 is like having an HP Reverb G2, but with an OLED screen, better colors, and better FOV and edge-to-edge clarity. I'm assuming the better edge-to-edge clarity is do to Eye Tracking Foveating Rendering.

He said the Frenal Lens does have god rays and the sweet spot is small. So there's trade-offs.

Wow just watching this now, dude is gushing over the display/visuals and its coming from someone that seems to be trully experienced with VR headsets.

Final thoughts start here 18:48 for anyone wanting a summary

Last edited:

LostDonkey

refreshing to hear opinions here where people know their shit at least a little bit.

noobs on Reddit calling it blurry as hell, barely a step from PSVR1, i couldn't help but think they were sniffing glue or eating shit, nice to see that it's confirmed.

it seems sweet spot is a big deal just like the first one I had
I'm not gonna lie, it's not as pin sharp as the monitor I use for gaming, but Its also not a massive downgrade like the original unit was compared to native gaming.

Looking at the sun in GT7 as it's poking over the hills or thorough the clouds truly makes me squint and I don't get that from flatsreen gaming. It looks phenomenal for VR.

midnightAI

1) If you've played VR stuff before, you'll probably be a little annoyed with how you feel like a giant? For example, humans look thin and tiny versus normal sized or how they would in a game. I was hoping the eye tracking could fix this with but nope. I sat in a car in GT7 and felt like I was a giant still. It's so off-putting to me and is my number one biggest issue with headsets I've used.
Set you height lower in the setup? (unless you are talking about when you can see your character in VR and it seems small, thats down to the developers but FOV plays a part)
2) when you move your head left to right, you get a small ghosting, or maybe it's called something else. It's like the lenses need to catch up to your movement and it slightly has a ghosted image from it.
Thats due to reprojection (60hz to 120hz so it causes double frames), that isnt PSVR specific. I personally ignore it, not a huge deal at all and a bit of a needs must situation to get it to 90 or 120hz which is more important.
3) I zoomed into the seats of a cars in GT7. You can see details and they don't look amazing. It's nothing more than zooming into a textured file and it looks worse.
Zooming into a texture looks like a texture? seems like a nitpick with GT7, no?

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
As day one ends, I'm a happy man. GT7 is flawless, RE Village has a new breath of life, and everyone in my family suddenly digs kayaking.

The game that gave me chills was none of those however. It was a game from 2001: fucking Rez.

Sega dropped that synaesthesia trip on PS2 & Dreamcast 20+ years ago and today it has finally become what it somehow always was. It's the same game, but with Type-4 (eye-tracked) aiming turned on, it's like you're controlling it with your fucking mind. It's as if the technology has just caught up to what Rez always wanted to be.

Welp! That's $10 I'm going to be spending then! Did the eye-tracking feel "good" and accurate?

I can report back that GT7 with the PSVR2 headset is probably the best gaming experience I've ever had.

Bravo Sony, Bravo.

These reports of you guys are making my heart rejoice! I love that gaming has gotten to this point to provide such a different experience. Similar to what Nintendo has done with the Switch.

This is incredible! If you'd tell us that GT7 would look like this in VR just 3 months ago we would have thought you were crazy!!!

reinking

Gold Member
I saw UPS drive through my neighborhood.

I might be fucked.....

Wednesday
FEB
Awaiting Carrier Pickup
SHIPPING HISTORYHide Shipping History

TODAY
9:50 AM
SHIPPER CREATED A LABEL, UPS HAS NOT RECEIVED THE PACKAGE YET.

8:42 AM |
OUT FOR DELIVERY TODAY

7:26 AM |
OUT FOR DELIVERY

5:44 AM |
PROCESSING AT UPS FACILITY

..and the tracking number has completely vanished from the UPS website.

Not fucked...

costa rica smile GIF by Orson

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Seems UPS site might be fucked right now.

Manually entering the tracking number seems to work still. Linking from PS page is broken.

Last edited:

sachos

This guy is a hardcore PCVR guy and says that PSVR2 is like having an HP Reverb G2, but with an OLED screen, better colors, and better FOV and edge-to-edge clarity. I'm assuming the better edge-to-edge clarity is do to Eye Tracking Foveating Rendering.

He said the Frenal Lens does have god rays and the sweet spot is small. So there's trade-offs.

Here is his first time reaction to playing Horizon, dude can't keep himself from gushing about it lol. "This is magical, and i've been in VR since the beginning"
Starts at 2:37

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

WTF

Mine was Out for Delivery and just updated to Label Created and Awaiting Pickup...

UPS tracking shows as not existing now.

Probably a computer malfunction.

If it stays that way try this. It might work or it might not. Maybe it will show the last location.

Last edited:

DryvBy

Set you height lower in the setup? (unless you are talking about when you can see your character in VR and it seems small, thats down to the developers but FOV plays a part)

Thats due to reprojection (60hz to 120hz so it causes double frames), that isnt PSVR specific. I personally ignore it, not a huge deal at all and a bit of a needs must situation to get it to 90 or 120hz which is more important.

Zooming into a texture looks like a texture? seems like a nitpick with GT7, no?

I'm going to try the height thing. It looked right but I figured it was something with this.

And the GT7 thing isn't really a fault of the PSVR2 but the people claiming it blew them away are full of crap.

Freeman76

I personally wasnt as impressed with the visuals as I hoped I would be if I'm honest. I need reading glasses and havent tried with those on which could have been an issue?

Played 30 minutes of Star Wars, which was fun as a world to be in, but mechanically was just ok.
My friends are trying it out currently. I expect two of them will end up trying to buy their own before they get home.

Im looking forward to actually having it to myself later and exploring more games. Especially gt7 in my cab.

Last edited:

k1m1d4n

refreshing to hear opinions here where people know their shit at least a little bit.

noobs on Reddit calling it blurry as hell, barely a step from PSVR1, i couldn't help but think they were sniffing glue or eating shit, nice to see that it's confirmed.

it seems sweet spot is a big deal just like the first one I had
I'm going to share my experience.
When first trying it on it was a bit blurry. But this was while doing setup. Fortunately this one has a eye width option. Not everyone has a perfect simetrical YouTuber face, and this helps a lot.
I think some people expect this to be a plug and play type of device, but as a one size fits all it needs to be tailored to the user.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I saw UPS drive through my neighborhood.

I might be fucked.....

Wednesday
FEB
Awaiting Carrier Pickup
SHIPPING HISTORYHide Shipping History

TODAY
9:50 AM
SHIPPER CREATED A LABEL, UPS HAS NOT RECEIVED THE PACKAGE YET.

8:42 AM |
OUT FOR DELIVERY TODAY

7:26 AM |
OUT FOR DELIVERY

5:44 AM |
PROCESSING AT UPS FACILITY

..and the tracking number has completely vanished from the UPS website.

WTF

Mine was Out for Delivery and just updated to Label Created and Awaiting Pickup...

UPS tracking shows as not existing now.

Don't panic. The samething happened to me this morning. Then I saw this....

v2dHYUQ.jpg
l7N47ze.jpg

So everything is probably all good on your side too.

Last edited:
So despite having covid and feeling like absolute dog shit, I still found myself playing Pavlov and GT7 today. Even had a go at No Mans Sky.

Pavlov is great fun, going to be spending a ton of time on this. No Man’s Sky is good, immersive but I feel like it’s fairly low res compared to the other games I’ve played.

GT7 is absolutely bonkers though. What an amazing experience in VR, I can’t wait to play more of this later.

If I’m not feeling too bad then I might dive into both Demeo and RE8 later.

reinking

Gold Member
Don't panic. The samething happened to me this morning. Then I saw this....

v2dHYUQ.jpg
l7N47ze.jpg

So everything is probably all good on your side too.
Crazy enough, UPS just made a second trip through my neighborhood and dropped it off. Too bad I can't mess with it right now but glad it is in my hands. :)

Top Bottom