• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 |OT| I heard it has a single cable. Is this true?

Yep, two headsets in two boxes and my charging station. Checked my order and I only ordered 1, only charged for one. Shipping boxes have the exact same info on them lol. I have UPS my choice and the second box never showed up in tracking.
Hmm something is not right.

I tried to pre order it back when its revealed. Never got a Email or any confirmation that it went through. Even on my Payments and buylist its not listed but somehow...
..today the 600€ for the headset got booked from my Bankaccount.

I still got no Email lol.
Ill guess i try to contact the Customer Service tomorrow
This can't be...

Last edited:

dorkimoe

Don't be stubborn with the free turn. Try the snap turn. set it to a big turn. I don't get motion sickness easily but there are games where the smooth turn gets me. And in almost all games, the smooth turn gives me eyestrain. Even on psvr1 where you could only operate in a <180 degree arc in front of you, I tended to use snap turn in large increments and just pan with my head and body. Now you can turn all the way around so it will be mmuch better.

Snap turn makes more sense to me anyway. Unpopular opion alert: so does teleporting.
So really didn’t like the teleporting. Was kinda weird and didn’t think it was as fun. Then again it could just be that game I tried. Thought the snapping was jarring

R6Rider

Gold Member
So really didn’t like the teleporting. Was kinda weird and didn’t think it was as fun. Then again it could just be that game I tried. Thought the snapping was jarring
Yeah Smooth turn vs Snap Turn and Teleport vs Smooth locomotion are preferences. I prefer smooth turn and movement (with the turning speed as high possible).

There's also another preference that some games offer: Headset/Head based movement or Hand/Controller based movement.

Crayon

It's very weird. No lies. I considered it a critch for people who get sick for like a year. I tried it and it felt like a huge compromise.

After a year or so and talking to someone who got into vr r&d early, I tried it again and realized it make more sense. In standing vr, I have a "stage" that is my play area. When I use smooth movement, I'm just sliding the stage around. It's actually more immersive to me to just blink my stage over the the area I want to be. Also turns out to save strain on my eyes which is good because I like to do long sessions.

So yeah I eventually came around to teleporting and snap turn even though I never needed them!

ssringo

So got done with my first hour session. The setup was simply enough and the guided help is easy to follow. I'm a part time wearer of glasses (when reading stuff at a distance like when driving) and decided to use them for VR. Everything is quite comfy and nothing gets in the way. I never "forgot" I was wearing a headset (as some reviewers claimed) but it didn't become uncomfortable. If you're a VR vet I could see you "forgetting". I only stopped because it's been a while since I was last in VR and need to get my "legs" back. Also VR makes my body feel like I need to shit even if I don't actually :messenger_grinning_sweat: Probably needed to charge the controllers for a bit as well.

Played Village up to just after meeting the crone. That first big battle was rough. I got stuck on a ladder because you have to actually climb it yourself and it seems you need to put your hands a bit further out than what feels natural (especially if you climb ladders regularly) for it to register the movement correctly. Meanwhile the baddies kept slapping my ass like I was Lady D.

It looks good and stuff works fine but I think RE4 on Quest felt a bit better using and interacting with items in the environment and your weapons. Could be because it's simpler or maybe I just need more time to adjust. I also think I need a laser pointer for the weapons because where the bullets are hitting seem slightly off from where I'm aiming which makes accurate shots a little tricky.

I had no problem with fuzziness or stuff being out of focus in general but on screen text like when reading a note is definitely out of focus. Not sure if it's a game rendering issue, foveated rendering/eye tracking issue or I'm slightly slightly off of the actual sweet spot for my eyes. It's not fuzzy, it's like the lens are not the correct distance apart for my eyes. I dunno but for me it's not a big deal as I've beat the game before and don't need to read the stuff but I'm interested if it's a problem for anyone else.

Edit: Forgot to mention, it's really weird when Ethan falls to the ground and you're still looking through his eyes while the floor is rendered through your neck.

Last edited:

dorkimoe

It's very weird. No lies. I considered it a critch for people who get sick for like a year. I tried it and it felt like a huge compromise.

After a year or so and talking to someone who got into vr r&d early, I tried it again and realized it make more sense. In standing vr, I have a "stage" that is my play area. When I use smooth movement, I'm just sliding the stage around. It's actually more immersive to me to just blink my stage over the the area I want to be. Also turns out to save strain on my eyes which is good because I like to do long sessions.

So yeah I eventually came around to teleporting and snap turn even though I never needed them!
I’ll probably deal with it for games like Star Wars . But I wanna really experience stuff like pavlov

LostDonkey

I’ll call or email them when I get a moment but there is no theft, laws in place to protect recipients.
There's no theft at the minute. You still have it.

But give it away or sell it knowing that you acquired it mistakenly and I wouldn't want Sony's lawyers on the case.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
641 likes
601 dislikes

Should be way more dislikes imo.

My hype level has always been high, but everytime they started too talk about PSVR2 in general, they tanked my hype in a bad way.

"We are fan's of VR but also Critical of VR"
"Buy a Quest 2 instead"

Get out of heeeeeere!

RIGHT! I never understood the "Buy a Quest2 instead" statements from the guys that run a Playstation Podcast lol.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I think a lot of devs are just really fucking bad at controls. It's like, they try to add all these things like teleport and blinders, and I'm like, "How about instead you learn what a smooth analog curve is." Their controls are just pure fuckin jank. It's like how input lag and bad analog controls can ruin an otherwise good shooter.... that same shit affects the other stick too. And in VR it's magnified, unfortunately.

Good example is RE4 on Quest. Now a lot of people really like that game, but if you honestly examine the movement controls they're fuckin terrible. They put ZERO thought into or adjusted the actual player movement. Aside from the usual dumb VR add-ons. The main issue on the stick is momentum. You have to have a smooth input, and a lot of games don't.

Last edited:

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
So its launching with three AA-AAA games, two of wich are already old hats. The rest seem like indie games or stuff thats old as hell in thr VR space (Thumper etc.). Not gonna lie, I expected more. Not gonna be there day 1 like i was with PSVR1.

Ronin_7

Got mine. It's pretty great, not sure if because I'm older i get sick playing too much time ffs. Didn't happen in the OG but I was Younger might be that 🤣

Horizon looks insane & Moss is still a Masterpiece.

Crayon

I’ll probably deal with it for games like Star Wars . But I wanna really experience stuff like pavlov

Ah. Keep in mind that some games you really need to get your legs and step up to. Never played pavlov but it seems like one of those. Boneworks was famous for being uncomfortable for a lot of people, largely from having no restrictions on your movement.

Anyone else stuck on the setup screen due to tracking issues?

So far, I haven't even managed to get past setup. My Left sense controller is basically spinning around in the "Grab your sense controller" section and won't register me moving it. I can turn around and all it does it pretty much think its in the same position it was when I picked it up, with the glowing Orb going ballistic. I've reset the controllers , reset the ps5, turned my light brighter/dimmer, the lot. Nothing :(

tmlDan

So far, I haven't even managed to get past setup. My Left sense controller is basically spinning around in the "Grab your sense controller" section and won't register me moving it. I can turn around and all it does it pretty much think its in the same position it was when I picked it up, with the glowing Orb going ballistic. I've reset the controllers , reset the ps5, turned my light brighter/dimmer, the lot. Nothing :(
I had no issues at all with tracking in a dimly lit room, is your room really bright? I know it says not to be in a brightly lit room with sunshine coming in as it may affect tracking but it could be that

Crayon

IT'S HERE!

And people weren't wrong about it being tiny to what I imagined.

People are saying this and it's a little funny because I thought the box looked huge in the pictures lol. And I don't watch unboxing videos so idk from there.

Ah shit, that's pretty harsh. Is the cable long wnough for you to tryy it around the corner or anything? or can you change the lighting in the room drastically? That mmight help troubleshoot at least.

I had no issues at all with tracking in a dimly lit room, is your room really bright? I know it says not to be in a brightly lit room with sunshine coming in as it may affect tracking but it could be that

People are saying this and it's a little funny because I thought the box looked huge in the pictures lol. And I don't watch unboxing videos so idk from there.

Ah shit, that's pretty harsh. Is the cable long wnough for you to tryy it around the corner or anything? or can you change the lighting in the room drastically? That mmight help troubleshoot at least.
The right one works fine, which makes me think it's just the one controller rather than a general light issues. I have dimmers and I've tried multiple levels.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
... Or maybe SHOULD I get it....
Is this impressive for anyone who is a long term pc vr user? Anyone here who finished old timey vr games and alyx multiple times on good vr headests ?

Crayon

... Or maybe SHOULD I get it....
Is this impressive for anyone who is a long term pc vr user? Anyone here who finished old timey vr games and alyx multiple times on good vr headests ?

Check vr-centric channels to see what they say about it. They are more tempered by having tried the best of the best.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Are you sure? Do you think this is why it's been so hard for us to have a baby? We've been trying and my ass is killing me.
Ryan Gosling Clap GIF

Forsete

Time to call it a night.

I played about 5 hours I think. No motion sickness or uneasy feeling at all, and I've never tried VR before. What am I doing wrong? :p
Anyway, here are some of my game impressions.

Gran Turismo 7 - Only got about an hour in the game, but holy fuck this is amazing. Driving Japanese cars feels weird though, right-hand driving. :p Really impressive scale in the game.
Horizon - Beautiful game, I don't mind the climbing at all. Climbing with the pickaxe got my hands all sweaty. Combat felt good, but I mostly spammed arrows in panic. ;) I missed most of the intro because I was obsessed looking at the detail of the hands.
Kayak VR - A little tedious paddling after a while, but damn the game looks amazing Finding animals really put a smile on my face. Really strong feeling of being in the world in this game, same with GT7.
Moss (I bought it yesterday because of that cute little mouse) - What a fun little game. The mouse is so damned cute with its little fingers and toes. Looking forward to playing more of this later on. Impressive 3D effects.

Hardware wise I think PSVR2 is very impressive, but I don't have any experience with other headsets. The tracking never missed a beat during my playtime (however the hands in Horizon got stuck once in game geometry, but that was not the fault of the VR tracking). Initially it complained about my room being to dark, so I just turned up the lights.
I wear glasses and have pretty bad eyesight. I had some issues with setting up the eye tracking, so I had to do it without my glasses. After that was complete I just put my glasses back on, so I dont think the eyetracking is working 100% for me. It would spaz out sometimes in the Horizon menus. I never noticed any issues with the foveated rendering though.
Didnt have much trouble finding the sweet spot (you notice it pretty easily) and the helpful guide made it super easy getting started.
Didnt have any comfort issue during my 5 hours, expect getting pretty warm during the end of the session.

Well, time to hit the sack.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
So its launching with three AA-AAA games, two of wich are already old hats. The rest seem like indie games or stuff thats old as hell in thr VR space (Thumper etc.). Not gonna lie, I expected more. Not gonna be there day 1 like i was with PSVR1.

So are indie games just bad by definition now?

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Initial impressions...Fucking Hell this thing is a next generational leap over the original.

• Typcial Sony seemless setup, up and running in no time
  • Visuals are outstanding, sweet spot was a piece of piss for me to find and lock in, this mura effect people talk about is barely noticeable if at all and oh my the increase in resolution is like going from Standard Def to HD
  • I played the Kayak game with a stupid grin on my face the whole time, it looked incredible and was really relaxing to play and the kids loved it
  • Stuck on GT7 lol fucking hell, I haven't played a GT game in like 20yrs and when the game opened with me sat in the cockpit of car racing I near crashed, the visuals and sense of being in the car are second to none, the graphics are class including all the reflections inside the cockpit
  • my controllers came with little to no charge so only really played the above, have the day booked off tomorrow to give Resi8, Call of the Mountain and NMS a proper rattle
All in all zero buyers remorse, this thing is just what I'm after, a proper next level gaming experience that's plug and play with what looks to be zero compromise on graphics, really looking forward to Horizon tomorrow

Markio128

Gold Member
One thing that stands out, having just tried Star Wars and NMS, is how realistic the Weapons/gadgets look up close - they are so tangible in VR.

I still haven’t mustered up the courage to try RE:Village yet. What’s the general consensus for those who have played it?

Crayon

Some of that stuff is great. I wanted to try song in the smoke but the vr2 upgrade is huge. Been looking at project wingmand and pavlov from afar for awhile.

Anyone awiting for a full slate of aaa's is going to be waiting a great long while though. We just went like 3 years since alyx. It's going to be an uphill battle to cure vr of quest disease.

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
I dont have too much money to buy games after this purchase lmao
I got the Horizon pack. What other game would you recommend? Kayak? The rat platformer?

R6Rider

Gold Member
I dont have too much money to buy games after this purchase lmao
I got the Horizon pack. What other game would you recommend? Kayak? The rat platformer?
Excuse me. Her name is Quill and she is a mouse!

Jokes aside, Moss 1 and 2 are worth it.

Lots of good games to pick from depending on what you are wanting to play.

Also, try out some of the demos available.

Last edited:

Spank_Magnet

The Male Lewinsky
One thing that stands out, having just tried Star Wars and NMS, is how realistic the Weapons/gadgets look up close - they are so tangible in VR.

I still haven’t mustered up the courage to try RE:Village yet. What’s the general consensus for those who have played it?
I've loved the short time I've had with RE8. Not had any combat, just explode but it's good an' creepy already.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Finally. I'm actually gonna take a shower and go get some food while these controllers charge (they came real low) and then play a bunch later.

Big relief the thing shipped on time / intact. Sounded like the UPS guy tossed it down. Thanks bro.

Top Bottom