• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Please recommend me some new bands

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for some new bands to listen to. I haven't found a new band I've really liked in a long time and most of my music tastes are stuck in the '90s with the likes of Curve, Cranes, The Smashing Pumpkins, Sneaker Pimps, Portishead and Garbage.

I like alternative/grunge music, usually preferring a female singer, and after listening to very little aside from Curve for the past five or so years I'm looking for some new bands to invest myself in. I would really appreciate some recommendations!

Some examples of my favourite music:

Curve - Chinese Burn

Curve - Dirty High

Curve - Recovery

Cranes - Jewel

Sneaker Pimps - Six Underground

White Town - Your Woman

Muse - Hysteria

Portishead - Glory Box

Lo-Fidelity Allstars - Battleflag

PJ Harvey - Long Snake Moan

Smashing Pumpkins - Quiet

Dredd OST - She's a Pass

I do like some more recent stuff but it's mainly composers, like Jasper Byrne (scored the videogames Lone Survivor and Hotline Miami) and Paul Leonard-Morgan (did the Dredd soundtrack, among others). Please help me find some new bands to enjoy :)

breakfuss

Can't help since I'm not familiar with these bands. Just want a throw lastfm out as a great tool for finding new music based on your tastes!

The Birthday Party

I take it you didn't like Third?

Third - can you link me? I can't find anything on YT, and Wikipedia is showing nothing for the term Third (band).

Listened to a couple of The Birthday Party songs. Not really to my tastes, but thanks.

@breakfuss - I know of last.fm, but I've never used it before. I'll go and take a look now.

EDIT - I will give The Pixies a listen. I know of them, but I've never really listened to them before.

EVOL 100%

Third - can you link me? I can't find anything on YT, and Wikipedia is showing nothing for the term Third (band).

Listened to a couple of The Birthday Party songs. Not really to my tastes, but thanks.

@breakfuss - I know of last.fm, but I've never used it before. I'll go and take a look now.

Was talking about the Portishead album. You'd probably like the 2 other bands after Neubauten I mentioned more in my edit

Thanks everyone. So far I'm listening to Pixies, and through Last.fm I've also found SPC ECO who are exactly the kind of sound I've been looking for (unsurprisingly, since it's also from the brains behind Curve). Will give other suggestions a listen later.

Slowdive

Banned
Thanks everyone. So far I'm listening to Pixies, and through Last.fm I've also found SPC ECO who are exactly the kind of sound I've been looking for (unsurprisingly, since it's also from the brains behind Curve). Will give other suggestions a listen later.

SPC ECO are awesome.

I think you might like The Joy Formidable, my favourite band nowadays.

Curve is such an awesome band.

Have you tried out Slowdive? My Bloody Valentine is also a must if you haven't indulged yourself yet. Maybe even Blonde Redhead, Unwound, Young Prisms, or Lilys would be up your alley.

oggob

Sahara Hotnights? All girl band from Sweden, not sure how active they are now, but their first 4 albums are glorious.

I'd kill to see them tour down in Australia again!

How I find new bands is pick a band I like put their song on in YouTube. Keep clicking related videos of bands/songs you like until you find something new. Eventually you'll run into Katy Perry/Justin Bieber videos at which point, game over, restart.

Its worked once or twice for me finding some decent bands.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I've been really getting into anything with Jack White in it; White Stripes, Dead Weather, Raconteurs, his solo shit. He's got a pretty unique sound about him. They all sound pretty different but uniquely gathered around him.

I've also been getting into True Detective lately and his music and the series have become intertwined in my mind and they both give me a hint of a Southern Gothic vibe, though there's nothing particularly gothic about his shit.

NinjaBoiX

OP, try Martina Topley-Bird, The Breeders, Death in Vegas, The Kills and Fugazi.

I see you like Portishead and Sneaker Pimps but mention no Massive Attack. So listen to Massive Attack damn it!

Can't be bothered to link sorry, at work.
sleater kinney

start with dig me out (the album)

http://killrockstars.bandcamp.com/album/dig-me-out

I don't know many bands on your list, but since there is Portishead - Glory Box on it you should definately check out The Sound Defects. Pretty similar and just awesome :)

A few songs that popped into my head while listening to your list

Tricky - Puppy Toy : http://youtu.be/irMr0qX8jNs
Thievery Corporationhttp - Lebanese Blonde http://youtu.be/04bg9IC9N6w
TV On The Radio - Halfway Home: http://youtu.be/q0L0v3bFBKw
Mark Lanegan Band - The Gravedigger's Song: http://youtu.be/mVCNSZPPr9M
Oceansize - Commemorative 9/11 T-Shirt: http://youtu.be/MI-us49j5-o
Oh god, so much good music!

Love music threads.

H3xum

Listen to Failure, in particular, the Fantastic Planet album

Also, give Autolux, Year of the Rabbit, The Life and Times, and Murder By Death a listen

Free spotify account that ish

I can't post links atm due to being at work, but here are a few that I've been jamming on lately. Mainly Funk/Jazz/Blues, some with hip hop feels, some with lyrics, some more traditional.

Bellaruche - similar in vein to Portishead, only less electronic, more natural instruments
KC Roberts and the Live Revolution
Snarky Puppy
Contemporary Noise Quintet

Lo-Volt

Fucking love Warpaint, but OP found Pavement a little dull so Warpaint may send them to sleep!

Oops, didn't catch that. But if Portishead can be on this list...

I'll throw a curveball, though it's a little outside the criteria in the original post. Remember UNKLE's Psyence Fiction from way back when? If you liked Portishead from the 1990s and "Battleflag", this might work out for the better.

faridmon

SPC ECO are awesome.

I think you might like The Joy Formidable, my favourite band nowadays.

Saw her live (I associate that band with Rose Berlin since Dean Garcia is only there as a background figure). One of the worst live gigs I have ever been to. She was uninterested and having her family up there to support her was just a killer!

I also echo the notion of The Joy Formidable. Amazing band with a lot of Grunge/Alternative influences. Love Ritzy Bryan!

If you are looking for a "new" 90's band to discover, check out Dinosaur Jr. Where you Been is probably their most well known album

technically an 80s band and... err You're Living All Over Me is their best record.

But Where You Been was released on a major label and I think the only one to crack the top 50 in the charts, which is why I said it was the most well known, not best.

NinjaBoiX

Not a new band.

But you could always try and listen to Frank Zappa. :)
The thing with Zappa is, he and his band are hugely talented, I just don't really like the music they make in the main.

Same with Primus, Claypool is one of my fav bassists and Brain is a machine, but I don't really dig a lot of their stuff.

*shrugs*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom