• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pluto New Horizons |OT| New images. Pluto/Charon still geologically active

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not

Banned
Those aren't the real colors in the composition photo, it's enhanced to show chemical diversity throughout the planet.

Seanspeed

Banned
I think that chances of being hit my meteorites decreases when being farther removed from a large and heavy body like the sun or jupiter. Being closer to the focal point of gravity increases the chance of being hit.
Pluto is way out there, though. Its in the midst of the relatively heavily populated Kuiper Belt and scattered disc region.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
"For perspective, New Horizons cost as much as 2 F-35 fighter jets, or about 5 hours of Social Security."

Solar System portrait:

FCKvlte.png

Pluto against others:

1gUROJ7.png

Pluto is way out there, though. Its in the midst of the relatively heavily populated Kuiper Belt and scattered disc region.

The thing is, its size tells us that it just didn't get much mass added by impacting meteorites. Also, in the off chance that a Kuiper body gets rocked and enters an orbit to the center of the solar system Pluto will probably won't be there to intercept it.

It does look though that the giant Pluto shape is the result of a massive impact and maybe created in the aftermath of the possible creation of Sharon. That is my guess.

Edit, NASA just said the moon looks to be older than Pluto. So they don't seem related like the Eath and Moon. I stand corrected.

spekkeh

Banned
So each half of the heart is made from different compounds?
I was intrigued by this too. I kind of figured beforehand that it would be a huge impact crater from a large collision, wouldn't be surprised if we found one of the moons to be of similar composition. Then it would make sense the other compound is stuff that rained down after collision.

pulsemyne

Ah ok. Still, should be interesting.

We should get images with about 10 times the resolution sometimes tomorrow. It's a slow process however as the datastream is only about 1.5kb a second. Basically about the speed of a 28.8k modem. Remarkable considering how far away it is.

HTupolev

Yep and venus is the closet place to an actual hell you could find in the solar system. That planet is really, really messed up. Boil up up and crush you to death.
The first lander that we ever sent to Venus had a parachute failure, landed on its side, and spent its 20-minute life doing nothing but spamming temperature data back to Earth.

rjinaz

Acoording to photos taken by the "messenger" probe in one of its flybys by venus, this is it..

where does that copper color in the solar system portrait come from?

The sulfur clouds completely cover the surface, but underneath you have that copper volcanic land. I'm guessing it's not an actual photo but some kind of photo sensor or rendering.

KarmaCow

Acoording to photos taken by the "messenger" probe in one of its flybys by venus, this is it..

where does that copper color in the solar system portrait come from?

I'm pretty sure it's a false colour image from a probe using radio waves to penetrate the atmosphere of the planet.

edit: Yup it's from the Magellan probe.

jmdajr

Back in the day we thought there might be people on Venus. Venusians. A tropical planet! Hah..so much for that.

Overall, I am sure it was a gradual disappointment that we are the only intelligent beings in our solar system.

But hey, the views and planets are still super cool!

please Europa..have aliens!

The Cowboy

Back in the day we thought there might be people on Venus. Venusians. Hah..so much for that.

Overall, I am sure it was a gradual disappointment that we are the only intelligent beings in our solar system.

But hey, the views and planets are still super cool!

please Europa..have aliens!

I watched that Europa documentary, it clearly showed aliens on Europa - big ass ones that light up.

I really like Europa Report :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom