• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pluto New Horizons |OT| New images. Pluto/Charon still geologically active

Status
Not open for further replies.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i just learned new horizons wasnt going to orbit Pluto, so i wonder what the long-term plan for this thing is now -- its just gonna keep flying out into space like Voyager?

i just learned new horizons wasnt going to orbit Pluto, so i wonder what the long-term plan for this thing is now -- its just gonna keep flying out into space like Voyager?

Yes but along the way they are changing course to flyby one of 2 KBOs and then onwards and outwards. They are travelling too fast to establish an orbit around Pluto and they cannot carry the fuel required to perform the maneuvers anyway. They have just enough fuel left to change course to investigate another object and there was a scramble to find suitable targets. They had 2 but i don't know if they've chosen which one they'll visit yet. They do need to decide soon so they can change course correctly though.

Flyby of Kuiper Belt object next, then out into interstellar space. It's in the OP I believe.

It will have enough power to explore another Kuiper Belt object, but its power source will apparently run out sometime before it reaches interstellar space, and will drift off dreaming through the outer heavens.

WTF, how the hell did I miss out on Hale Bopp? I was a total trekky back then and would have loved this.

Actually, looking at the dates, this is when I got to enjoy a 2nd divorce and was kicked out of the house with my mom and sister, and also when I was graduation high school. My life was a festering pile of shit back then. Damn. I would have loved seeing this. Im always looking at the stars when I take my dog out at night.

davepoobond

In the OP. Heading towards a Kuiper Belt Object.

oh! thanks. you added a lot more since i last looked at it.

Yes but along the way they are changing course to flyby one of 2 KBOs and then onwards and outwards. They are travelling too fast to establish an orbit around Pluto and they cannot carry the fuel required to perform the maneuvers anyway. They have just enough fuel left to change course to investigate another object and there was a scramble to find suitable targets. They had 2 but i don't know if they've chosen which one they'll visit yet. They do need to decide soon so they can change course correctly though.

interesting. hopefully its something neat.

Epix

When contemplating the vast emptiness of the Universe I'm always reminded of this stark comparison....

If the Sun were the size the of a basketball....

• Mercury would be the size of a grain of sand 36 ft away...
  • Venus would be the size of a BB 67 ft away...
  • Earth would be the size of a BB 93 ft away...
  • Mars would be the size of a grain of rice 142 ft away...
  • Jupiter would be the size of a golf ball 486 ft away...
  • Saturn would be the size of a ping pong ball 891 ft away...
  • Uranus would be the size of a marble 1794 ft away...
  • Neptune would be the size of a marble 2810 ft away...
  • Pluto would be the size of a pinhead 3695 ft away...
Proxima Centauri (next closest star) would be the size of a tennis ball 4300 miles away!

It'll be back as New V-Ger eventually.

Somehow it will also sound like Arnold Schwarzenegger while doing its dirty deed. Unicron aka T-10 billion will then throw a jealous hissyfit.

I was told this true story by Science Man before he had to go to an unrelated period in time for no reason.

WTF, how the hell did I miss out on Hale Bopp? I was a total trekky back then and would have loved this.

Actually, looking at the dates, this is when I got to enjoy and 2nd divorce and was kicked out of the house with my mom and sister, and also when I was graduation high school. My life was a festering pile of shit back then. Damn. I would have loved seeing this. Im always looking at the stars when I take my dog out at night.

I actually do remember seeing that one. ^_^
I was also a kid, so it's not like I didn't have the time or anything. Probably would have missed it as an adult.

davepoobond

It'll be back as New V-Ger eventually.

Somehow it will also sound like Arnold Schwarzenegger while doing its dirty deed. Unicron aka T-10 billion will then throw a jealous hissyfit.

I was told this true story by Science Man before he had to go to an unrelated period in time for no reason.

i like how you frame that as a plan instead of chance happenings

Pluto having 5 moons is also crazy to me, never really looked into that before.

sono

The good stuff starts coming in around Wednesday at 7 am EDT.

While we will wait for that with huge interest, there is another thought of how it is possible to beat this photo of a beautiful sphere with a giant white heart suspended in the blackness of empty space..

WTiPXjG.jpg

sphinx

the piano man
When contemplating the vast emptiness of the Universe I'm always reminded of this stark comparison....

If the Sun were the size the of a basketball....

• Mercury would be the size of a grain of sand 36 ft away...
  • Venus would be the size of a BB 67 ft away...
  • Earth would be the size of a BB 93 ft away...
  • Mars would be the size of a grain of rice 142 ft away...
  • Jupiter would be the size of a golf ball 486 ft away...
  • Saturn would be the size of a ping pong ball 891 ft away...
  • Uranus would be the size of a marble 1794 ft away...
  • Neptune would be the size of a marble 2810 ft away...
  • Pluto would be the size of a pinhead 3695 ft away...
Proxima Centauri (next closest star) would be the size of a tennis ball 4300 miles away!

I'd love to know what's a BB.

sphinx

the piano man

Aiii

So not worth it
It's so beautiful.

Also, I am left wondering how insanely small the sun must look from that far. Did, or will, New Horizons ever turn to the sun for a picture?

DieH@rd

Banned
Paul Atreides: What do you call the duck shadow on the first dwarf planet?

Stilgar: We call that one Muad'Duck.

Paul Atreides: Could I be known as Paul Muad'Duck?

HTupolev

It will have enough power to explore another Kuiper Belt object, but its power source will apparently run out sometime before it reaches interstellar space, and will drift off dreaming through the outer heavens.
Yeah, the RTG in New Horizons just doesn't have enough plutonium to keep it running for absurdly long timescales. It's a small craft tightly designed for its exploration mission of one or two KPOs, and by the end of the 20s the wattage will likely be too low for it to do much more than hibernate.

Voyager differs in that it's a much larger design that launched with an RTG with twice as much juice and the ability to extend its lifespan extremely far by shutting down the more power-hungry instruments. Voyager's 1 and 2 are both expected to continue gathering data into at least 2025, at limited capacities.

sphinx

the piano man
. Voyager's 1 and 2 are both expected to continue gathering data into at least 2025, at limited capacities.

another thing that blows my mind

space is so vast that our probes will fly for perhaps millions of years and will remain undisturbed, nothing will hit them.

that being said, can they maybe go straight into the direction of another body with enough gravitational pull and then rotate forever around it?

I'm intrigued as to why there are few craters in there. I imagined it would be covered of them everywhere. Huh.

I think that chances of being hit my meteorites decreases when being farther removed from a large and heavy body like the sun or jupiter. Being closer to the focal point of gravity increases the chance of being hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom