• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pluto New Horizons |OT| New images. Pluto/Charon still geologically active

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Wouldn't be science without XKDC.

lymCchw.png

HTupolev

Something interesting that many don't know is that the GPS satellites have to be constantly updated and monitored because of time dilation. GPS timing is so precise that a single day without the constant monitoring and updating would result in GPS units being off by 6 miles.
One interesting consequence is that some test instruments with very accurate timing can be synchronized off of GPS signals. These are systems that already use $100+ oven oscillators with absolutely ridiculous long-term stability as reference clocks.

Jedi2016

Something interesting that many don't know is that the GPS satellites have to be constantly updated and monitored because of time dilation. GPS timing is so precise that a single day without the constant monitoring and updating would result in GPS units being off by 6 miles. But unlike the ISS, the GPS satellites are going faster than we are, since they are much further away than the ISS.
I was under the impression that the GPS drift was due more to gravity than to speed.

Chichikov

It has a larger effect, but both absolutely need to be accounted for.
The GPS system don't actually account for any particular source of drift, it just have a super clever system the correct the clocks based on a well established singular time source (well, to be extra technical, it doesn't correct the clock but keep track of the difference in time).

The accuracy of the GPS time is really a technological marvel.

HTupolev

The GPS system don't actually account for any particular source of drift
Looked it up, seems like they opted for the elegant approach of using slightly slower oscillators on the satellites than the ground reference.

The satellites do have their clocks corrected occasionally, but that's theoretically just for issues of precision.

cameron

I didn't expect to see so many women in the team. That's so cool !

Where can I find a video of the team's reaction ? I missed it live :(

NASA's youtube channel just uploaded the team's reaction to the signal acquisition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3pvlI0WFi0

From the NASA TV press briefing and Q&A, the "autonomy" subsystem reporting back with "Nominal status. No rules have fired" indicating no faults occurred during the blackout was the big moment.

Very infectious applause and joy right there.
Hearing all the controllers/stations reporting "nominal status" to the the Mission Operations Manager ("MOM") was awesome.

Megasoum

Banned
NASA's youtube channel just uploaded the team's reaction to the signal acquisition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3pvlI0WFi0

From the NASA TV press briefing and Q&A, the "autonomy" subsystem reporting back with "Nominal status. No rules have fired" indicating no faults occurred during the blackout was the big moment.

Hearing all the controllers/stations reporting "nominal status" to the the Mission Operations Manager ("MOM") was awesome.

Why is Stephen Harper working at NASA now?

Yeah, I hear ya. I don't think people really understand (or care) just how little we knew about Pluto before this mission. I mean, it really wasn't much beyond "we know it's there" if you think about it. Now look at what we know. I saw one of the animations the other day that showed that Pluto and Charon are tidally locked to each other. Did we even know that before a week or so ago?

People don't want knowledge anymore, it seems. This may just be "knowledge for the sake of knowledge", but dammit, I like it when I know something today that I didn't know yesterday. I'm waiting with baited breath for the first closeup images, this whole thing is awesome as far as I'm concerned.

I feel as though it goes deeper than knowledge for the sake of knowledge. Whenever I speak to someone about astronomy, it blows their mind away, especially when I explain what the speed of light is and how we technically live in the past as to how the sunlight that we get is 8 minutes from the past. Just the philosophical approach of what we understand about our universe alone can create so many interesting conversations with people unknown to such vast elements of our universes show that those who are open minded truly want to know more.

It seems that the way society is nowadays in the west, specifically in North America. There really isn't much of a drive from the general public to know more. I remember a student told me that he isn't interested in the solar system due to how we already know the planets and he's more interested when we start exploring other solar systems or galaxies. I know, sounds ridiculous doesn't it? I personally feel as though many people believe that due to our impressive advancements in the past 100 years or within their generation, we know a lot, when in reality, we can always learn more.

Just food for though. I hope I'm alive for long enough to learn even more about the universe.

Best wishes.

That heart is possibly the best coincidence that Pluto (and NASA) could ever hope for. It is instantly iconic like Jupiter's Great Red Spot of Saturn's Rings. I wonder if that is a more permanent fixture or it grows or recedes depending on Pluto's seasons.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Awsome pic.

Im so glad we get such a good picture from this, only thing im a lil sad about is that pluto isnt actually blue like almost everything related to pluto assumed pluto was. why did we see pluto as a blue planet? Is it because its so cold we just assume it was a gigantic ball of ice?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Im so glad we get such a good picture from this, only thing im a lil sad about is that pluto isnt actually blue like almost everything related to pluto assumed pluto was. why did we see pluto as a blue planet? Is it because its so cold we just assume it was a gigantic ball of ice?

Probably that and because it's the color of Neptune

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom