• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pluto New Horizons |OT| New images. Pluto/Charon still geologically active

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seanspeed

Banned
I wonder what the temperature variance is between the light and dark side of Pluto. Cant imagine it'd be that great, but I could always be wrong about that.

Just saying, the coolest thing about the heart shaped region(for me at least) isn't that it's heart-shaped, but that its the result of fucking solid precipitation(snow). For one, I had not ever entertained the notion of Pluto having an atmosphere before yesterday, and two, it's a bit of a shame we'll probably never know just how much that heart shaped region changes shape based on any potential seasonal variation other than theoretical estimations or guesses.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
7C2GfIF.gif

AWWWWWW :(

Time dilation is very small until you get up to the higher speeds. I think with speed and gravity taken into account that an astronaut on the ISS would age 0.01 second less than people on Earth if they were up there for year.

Yeah, the hockey stick is really dramatic. I was just curious of the cumulative effect because New Horizons was, I think, our fastest moving spacecraft ever, and 9 years was long enough to pique my curiosity. Conventional propulsion ain't shit, I conclude. We put an awfully tiny craft on an awfully huge rocket -- we are maxing out what is possible with this tech.

I was mainly curious because at relativistic speeds, time dilation is our friend as far as getting to far away places alive. Although I suppose that if we warp spacetime to do it (Alcubierre drive!) that time dilation wouldn't apply.

Prez

Yeah, the hockey stick is really dramatic. I was just curious of the cumulative effect because New Horizons was, I think, our fastest moving spacecraft ever, and 9 years was long enough to pique my curiosity. Conventional propulsion ain't shit, I conclude. We put an awfully tiny craft on an awfully huge rocket -- we are maxing out what is possible with this tech.

I was mainly curious because at relativistic speeds, time dilation is our friend as far as getting to far away places alive. Although I suppose that if we warp spacetime to do it (Alcubierre drive!) that time dilation wouldn't apply.

Earth is hurling through space at 67,000 mph so New Horizons is actually moving slower than we are.

They really need a better way of communicating. I wonder if they considered a physical tether.. cat5 or something.
Entangled quantum particles that can be excited at high enough frequencies could act as a lagless (no 5-hour delay) communication protocol. I think some patent trolls even filed some bullshit on that one.

cameron

Yup, NH is collecting 100 times the data it could send to Earth in a day.

Here is a website that shows you signals to different crafts including Voyager. I don't know how to read it, but it looks cool: http://eyes.nasa.gov/dsn/dsn.html

Check out the different options too.
Yeah, it's one of the cooler sites NASA has produced. Basically the waves going up are sending signals, and coming down are receiving. The shaky waves are carrying data, while waves that look like nicely-curved sine waves are carrier signals to establish a communication link. NHPC (dish 63 in Madrid) is currently assigned to New Horizons transmissions.

It's a neat little website. The novelty hasn't worn off for me. Haha.

Voyager 1 is hogging.

I wonder if there are people who believe this mission is all Hollywood theatrics.. Like the moon missions?

I have a close seemingly intelligent/very successful fam member who believes we never walked on the moon all because the flag waved.

I wonder if there are people who believe this mission is all Hollywood theatrics.. Like the moon missions?

I have a close seemingly intelligent/very successful fam member who believes we never walked on the moon all because the flag waved.

I sent pictures to everyone in the office and not a single person knew what the hell it was or knew we even had a probe going to Pluto

Not enough people care for there to be conspiracy theories. Besides, only North Korea would take 10 years to fake a trip to a dwarf planet nobody cares about anyway

Someone might suspect the "heart" was all orchestrated to sell Hallmark cards though. Maybe Dale Gribble

In a world where people believe that nation's leaders are reptilian aliens in disguise and 9/11 was CGI then yeah of course there are "seemingly intelligent" people who will believe none of this is real.

#wakeupsheeple

Entangled quantum particles that can be excited at high enough frequencies could act as a lagless (no 5-hour delay) communication protocol. I think some patent trolls even filed some bullshit on that one.
Quantum entanglement sadly can't be used for communication. The particles change instantly (no 5 hour delay) but the recieving team has no way to conclude if this change was desired or random. To them all particles act normal.

Quantum entanglement sadly can't be used for communication. The particles change instantly (no 5 hour delay) but the recieving team has no way to conclude if this change was desired or random. To them all particles act normal.
Huh? How about, if decoding the change results in a message, it was desired?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

I know a guy who doesn't believe we walked on the moon because there aren't stars in the background of most of the moon pictures from the Apollo missions. I always try to explain photography to him and exposures and such, but he just thinks I've been brainwashed by the Democrats and scientists. And I'm not kidding.

Some people just see conspiracies everywhere and live very scared and ignorant lives. :(

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I don't think so much people screaming fake, as a lot of people saying that NASA found life and is withholding info.

Also:

Next data set will be WAY better images and data on the small satellites... Tomorrow is going to be AMAZING!!!!

By tomorrow, they mean today. Tweet is from last night.

Its just a big fucking rock in space guys

Holy hell

As adorable as it may be, I do agree that it's kind of getting out of hand that the heart and "its still a planet to me" is getting more attention than the subject matter. I can only imagine Neil Degrass Tyson losing his mind over this after seeing that damn heart on it.

At least its getting some form of recognition despite One Direction members being perched at the top of trending topics for the past few days.

Best wishes.

LakeEarth

Just think, if we ever get another good photo of it someday and the heart wasn't a permanent fixture, people will be angry that we "got rid" of the heart just like they're angry about "killing" it as a planet.

And just like people still talk about the face on Mars, even though a second picture showed it's just a hill.

Why would that burn out the camera? From that distance, the sun would just be a bright star, not the dominating feature of the sky that it is for us.

Apparently it's really sensitive.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/3d9luh/were_scientists_on_the_nasa_new_horizons_team/ct31u6p

Earth is hurling through space at 67,000 mph so New Horizons is actually moving slower than we are.

Wow. Didn't realize this somehow...

As adorable as it may be, I do agree that it's kind of getting out of hand that the heart and "its still a planet to me" is getting more attention than the subject matter. I can only imagine Neil Degrass Tyson losing his mind over this after seeing that damn heart on it.

At least its getting some form of recognition despite One Direction members being perched at the top of trending topics for the past few days.

Best wishes.

What's the connection with Neil Degrasse Tyson?

Chichikov

You can't force a state on an entangled particle, you can measure it and collapse it, but you'll just end up with a "message" which is random 1s and 0s at 50% distribution.
You could immediately tell what message your counterpart has, but it will gibberish.

GulAtiCa

Disney's 1957 Mars & Beyond

154961.jpg

It really sparked my imagination as a child. Too bad that whole life on other planets didn't really work out.

God, this takes me back. Not sure if it was the same video, but I remember another Walt Disney video from back then were they discussed what we might find on other planets. I remember "thinking, wow this is cool!" back in the mid 90s as a kid. Of course, I was viewing it on an older black & white TV in my parent's bedroom (only 1 in the house that had Disney at the time, main TV downstairs didn't) and didn't realize for many years that it was actually very old. heh

We can't control the particles, they are 100% random. The receiving team will always and forever see their particles act normally.

It's only by directly comparing the receiving team's random results with the sending team's random results that we can tell the random results are linked/entangled. It's called the no-communication theorem if you're interested in learning more.

jmdajr

God, this takes me back. Not sure if it was the same video, but I remember another Walt Disney video from back then were they discussed what we might find on other planets. I remember "thinking, wow this is cool!" back in the mid 90s as a kid. Of course, I was viewing it on an older black & white TV in my parent's bedroom (only 1 in the house that had Disney at the time, main TV downstairs didn't) and didn't realize for many years that it was actually very old. heh

Yup. To me all these old cartoons/animations were new! Loved em.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom