• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poachers break into Paris zoo, shoot white rhino dead and steal its horn

Status
Not open for further replies.

okdakor

It's a first time in Europe, the risk was known, but still...
We live in a world where you can still sell a rhino horn for $50 000+, because some stupid people think that it's magical.

Poachers broke into a French zoo, shot dead a rare white rhinoceros and sawed off its horn in what is believed to be the first time in Europe that a rhino in captivity has been attacked and killed.

The four-year-old male white rhino called Vince was found dead in his enclosure by his keeper at the Thoiry zoo and wildlife park about 50 km (30 miles) west of Paris on Tuesday morning after an overnight break-in, the zoo said.

[...]

The poachers broke through a gate at the wildlife park during the night and forced the metal door of the enclosure where the rhino lived, the zoo said.

The two other rhinos living at the park, 37-year-old Gracie and five-year-old Bruno, were unharmed. Vince's second horn was partially cut, leading the zoo to believe that the intruders were disturbed or their equipment failed.

Link to the article

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Fuck these people for killing a Rhino, let alone in a zoo, and fuck the people who are willing to pay for this superstitious shit.

Echo the sentiments already shown in the thread. Absolute cunts for killing the rhino. Hope they get caught. Disappointing how the zoo couldn't have prevented this.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck these douchebags and fuck whatever douchebag buys the horn to get a magical boner. Hope your dick falls off instead.

Daedardus

The use as a aphrodisiac has been debunked

Interesting how easily the myth propogated in the internet

What's even sadder is that the horn is just made (slightly differently folded) keratin, which is the same stuff hair and nails are made from. It has no useful properties whatsoever, you could better ground up your own nail clippings and sell them as rhino horn.

Iksenpets

Banned
It's going to be bad news for zoos if keeping rhinos and elephants is going to mean you need round-the-clock armed guards on staff.

Also, fuck poachers.

okdakor

How does a zoo let this happen? Where is the security?

The zoo had security measures in place, including surveillance cameras, and five members of staff live on site.

But this zoo is the kind where you stay in your car during a safari-like visit... Maybe they don't put the animals inside at night.

About security, I found this 2012 article, about security measures that had to be reinforced in Britain after warnings from the National Wildlife Crime Unit that poachers could be targeting the animals for their horn : https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2012/feb/03/zoos-security-animal-poaching-threat

What's even sadder is that the horn is just made (slightly differently folded) keratin, which is the same stuff hair and nails are made from. It has no useful properties whatsoever, you could better ground up your own nail clippings and sell them as rhino horn.

Interesting idea...

But this zoo is the kind where you stay in your car during a safari-like visit... Maybe they don't put the animals inside at night.

About security, I found this 2012 article, about security measures that had to be reinforced in Britain after warnings from the National Wildlife Crime Unit that poachers could be targeting the animals for their horn : https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2012/feb/03/zoos-security-animal-poaching-threat

They should at least be watching the rare animals closely. If someone fucks off with a random chimp no one really cares.

RinsFury

What the FUCK? In Paris even? I have no words, how the hell can this happen? Poaching endangered animals needs to carry a death sentence.

dankir

What the fuck man...... protect the fucking animals you pieces of shit. Cut the horns off of Rhino's right away so this shit doesn't happen.

kswiston

It's going to be bad news for zoos if keeping rhinos and elephants is going to mean you need round-the-clock armed guards on staff.

Also, fuck poachers.

For Rhinos, zoos could probably just cut off the horns themselves. It makes them look cooler, but they don't need horns in captivity.

has anyone tried this to make a quick buck?

Fuck those rich deluded fantasy driven idiots who drive the illegal market in the first place. The only thing that pushed people to doing something like this is greed.

Sadly, it's likely some old rich asshole in China offering a huge sum of money for something this rare. And I am Chinese myself and well aware they exist out there - they are very well off and will pay anything because they can.

For Rhinos, zoos could probably just cut off the horns themselves. It makes them look cooler, but they don't need horns in captivity.

No I'm pretty sure cutting it off might be painful - isn't it like an elongated tooth? There's likely nerve endings going into it, much like your own tooth.

What the FUCK? In Paris even? I have no words, how the hell can this happen? Poaching endangered animals needs to carry a death sentence.

I think it actually does, at least in certain areas. Poachers are typically shot on sight in African preservations.

AndersK

This is horrible. Like, imagine being imprisoned for people's amusement, and then some motherfuckers break into your prison to kill and skin you.

A most sophisticated burglary.

Much easier for the Police to catch them.

Whoever stole this have the knowledge and the knowhow to do it.

I hope they catch them and YANK THEIR NAILS OFF ONE BY ONE.

Monsters.

fuuuuuuuuuuuucccccccccccccck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this makes me so angry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jail these fuckers for life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom