• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point n Click Adventure GAF 2013 The pixel hunt continues.

Hey guys, I'm a PnC noob, looking for suggestions on some of the best of the genre. I've found my taste in gaming has changed now that I'm older. So what would be the top 5 games of the genre to play first?

*Monkey Island 1&2 for the old classic - available on Steam.
*Gray Matter for something new that's still challenging - available on Amazon and Gamersgate
*Machinarium for something new, indie, that's a bit easier - available pretty much everywhere
*Sam&Max: The Devil's Playhouse - to try out Telltales episodic adventure games. - available
pretty much everywhere

And an upcoming one, that looks promising
*The Cave - New game from the creator of Monkey Island, that's being released during the end of this month. Done in a pretty different style, where you choose three characters, out of seven, for each playthrough, with less focus on inventory items then other adventure games. Available for preorder on Steam.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Machinarium is great, but the problems I have with it are the same as with Full Throttle, but stronger; those damn mini-games!

Cartman86

Banned
gonehome_1600x900.png

Gone-Home-bed-610x343.jpg

This Edge feature on Gone Home (house exploration game set in 1995) has put it on my radar. Mid-2013 release?

And the Gamespot video preview with Steve Gaynor (former Irrational dev who worked on Bioshock Infinite, Bioshock 2 Minerva's Den).

Gone-Home-room-610x343.jpg

Website

It's Shenmue! Always loved when games try to simulate entire rooms. I'd love to say someone do an experiment where the goal was to create one house (or maybe room) that was simulated entirely, and I mean entirely. Carpet could be ripped up, Walls could be hammered away, paper torn. Just curious if someone was only focused on simulation instead of gameplay could they do it? I think in the end the most difficult thing to do would be to get the interface working. Limited control options make it tough to perform the same actions you could in real life.

Ledsen

Hey guys, I'm a PnC noob, looking for suggestions on some of the best of the genre. I've found my taste in gaming has changed now that I'm older. So what would be the top 5 games of the genre to play first?

For modern games, I'd recommend Book of Unwritten Tales. Fits right in with the old classics, but with modern graphics (that look pretty amazing).

epmode

For modern games, I'd recommend Book of Unwritten Tales. Fits right in with the old classics, but with modern graphics (that look pretty amazing).

Eh, I'm not so sure the writing is on par. Or maybe I didn't like the art. I stopped playing shortly after finishing the intro.

I think the classics are still well worth playing so he might want to start there.

edit: Oh, lots of people recommended the old stuff. Good work, GAF.

If we're going newer, my favorite games are

Ben There, Dan That + Time Gentlemen, Please! (don't play this until you're familiar with the old Lucasarts games since there are a lot of references)
Machinarium
Dreamfall (play The Longest Journey first)
The Blackwell games

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
I'm still waiting for that DoTT Special Edition with a strategic Vita port...

...but noooooo. They aren't that smart, and my hopes are down now it's Disney property. :(

Tr4nce

So I've been playing Kaptain Brawe and so far I'm enjoying it. It's got a classic Monkey Island feel to it. Graphics are rather colorful and the humor is OK.

Yep, great game. Too bad it doesn't have any VA. I finished this some time ago, and some of the puzzles where a bit frustrating I must say. But it's a great game, yes.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

Grim Fandango is my personal favorite, but people have made some great suggestions (Secret of Monkey Island, Machinarium, etc)

- Broken Sword: Shadow Of The Templars (NOT the director's cut! It's kinda slow, but I like that. If it click, it's a delicious adventure).

why not the DC? i just started playing it and i love it. great cast, beautiful locations, clear puzzles, excellent voice acting and sound direction. what mDe the non-DC version better?

szaromir

Banned
why not the DC? i just started playing it and i love it. great cast, beautiful locations, clear puzzles, excellent voice acting and sound direction. what mDe the non-DC version better?

They ruined the opening (BS1's opening is a classic, it really didn't need that prologue), and in general all Nicole stuff doesn't add anything to the game, in fact it ruins one aspect of the story for me.

epmode

They ruined the opening (BS1's opening is a classic, it really didn't need that prologue), and in general all Nicole stuff doesn't add anything to the game, in fact it ruins one aspect of the story for me.

Not to mention that it has those annoying blue circles all over the place. It feels like a shitty iOS port (which is what it is).

jon bones

Not to mention that it has those annoying blue circles all over the place. It feels like a shitty iOS port (which is what it is).

different strokes, i guess. nico is a great character and i actually like controlling her more than george. dat accent.

the blue circles also keeps me from having to pixel hunt, streamlines the game and keeps the pace moving.

i'm a big fan

...but noooooo. They aren't that smart, and my hopes are down now it's Disney property. :(

I take issue with the Monkey Island Special Editions. The original games looked so much better on an artistic level. Higher resolution and color depth are kinda pointless when you apply them on inferior artwork and animation.

With DOTT, I doubt even more that they could match the original 2D handdrawn animation.

Tizoc

Gilbert and co. just need to speak with whoever handles the game department on Disney's end for the release of these classic games on Steam, etc. I'm sure they'll work something out.

BTW what's the best ver. of Maniac Mansion & Zak McKraken? Wikipedia lists various systems its been released on.

Maxwood

The biggest problem with the Director's Cut is the fact it's a stripped down version. Lot's of scene's have been deleted and puzzles made easier. The infamous goat is a piece of cake! :(

And yeah, they shouldn't fiddle around to much with DoTT's look. Didn't have any problems with the Monkey SE's though, thougt they looked gorgeous. Although a bit flashy at times.

Grim Fandango though. Higher resolution and port it to consoles, already got the controls. :p

jon bones

The biggest problem with the Director's Cut is the fact it's a stripped down version. Lot's of scene's have been deleted and puzzles made easier. The infamous goat is a piece of cake! :(

Grim Fandango though. Higher resolution and port it to consoles, already got the controls. :p

aww they removed stuff? that makes me a sad panda

Grim Fandango needs an HD port to consoles my gawd.

are there plans for any of this stuff? i like to think the monkey island remakes sold well...

epmode

An HD port of Grim Fandango would be big deal. Even though the backgrounds look 3D, they're still just 2D images as far as the game is concerned, and you can't just increase the resolution or convert them to 16:9. A 3D update would basically require an entirely new game.

the blue circles also keeps me from having to pixel hunt, streamlines the game and keeps the pace moving.

I don't mind a hotspot display feature. I take offense when there's no way to disable it. Those stupid circles never completely go away if I remember correctly.

And yeah, the change to the game's intro is criminal.

I just finished Dreamfall and damn... what a cliffhanger. I'm kinda glag I played this now and not in 2006. After all the sequel will come out in 2014.

What I liked:
- The writing - especially in the later half of the game - was really good.
- I liked the personal aspects of the story/stories. Of course, this also has a lot to do with the writing. It sometimes actually felt like a mature story. And not the usual video game kind of mature.
- Female characters that are more than wanking material for teenagers and actually have a personality.
- Some of the character switching stuff was really neat like when
April and Kian first meet and you switch characters during the conversation and can pick answers for both of them
- The small connections between the first and second game that are not shoved into our faces.
Like Lady Alvane (April... or Zoe?) and Kian Alvane

What I didn't like:
- The controls. I played it with a controller but it was still clunky as hell.
- The sneaking
- The combat. Combined with the first two points you can really feel that this game was made during a time when adventure games desperately wanted to attract the action crowd. And had to fail miserably because the none adventure game aspects were mostly horrible. At least the combat in Dreamfall was that broken that you could just mash the attack button and be done with it.
- Some of the voice acting wasn't that stellar.
- The overall plot. There's always another layer and another twist. I think the universe in The Longest Journey with the twin worlds was complex and interesting enough. Now it just feels like Lost. And not in a good way.
- The need to constantly show Zoe in her underwear. One of the instances in which the game's not mature at all.

Overall I liked it better than I expected and I'm glad I played it.

You'll get a lot of recommendations for the Lucasarts stuff. And while some of them really are amazing games many of them follow the same formula and quite a few of them have terrible maze sections. That could get boring if you play too many of them in a row.

jon bones

An HD port of Grim Fandango would be big deal. Even though the backgrounds look 3D, they're still just 2D images as far as the game is concerned, and you can't just increase the resolution or convert them to 16:9. A 3D update would basically require an entirely new game.

I don't mind a hotspot display feature. I take offense when there's no way to disable it. Those stupid circles never completely go away if I remember correctly.

And yeah, the change to the game's intro is criminal.

Hmm, yeah I guess you're right. Hell just dump the game as is into iOS and I'll buy a dozen copies for everyone I know with an iPad.

The hotspot display feature is great, the dots only shows up if you glide your finger near where they are. If you're looking at a new screen, it's not littered with permanent blue dots everywhere.

You'll get a lot of recommendations for the Lucasarts stuff. And while some of them really are amazing games many of them follow the same formula and quite a few of them have terrible maze sections. That could get boring if you play too many of them in a row.

This is true, I'd mix up Lucasarts classics with modern offerings.

epmode

The hotspot display feature is great, the dots only shows up if you glide your finger near where they are. If you're looking at a new screen, it's not littered with permanent blue dots everywhere.

On iOS, you're right. The PC version behaves like the mouse pointer is a finger so you're often seeing the stupid hotspots.

- The need to constantly show Zoe in her underwear. One of the instances in which the game's not mature at all.

This happened a few times in The Longest Journey as well. I guess I agree with this RPS guy (spoilers for Dreamfall and Broken Sword: The Sleeping Dragon): http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/08/03/having-a-good-cry/

This happened a few times in The Longest Journey as well. I guess I agree with this RPS guy (spoilers for Dreamfall and Broken Sword: The Sleeping Dragon): http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/08/03/having-a-good-cry/

But in The Longest Journey it felt more like a funny allusion to dreaming you're in your underwear to me. I don't want to make a fuss about it and it only bothered me a little bit, but I think pajamas would've also signalled a sense of fragility in this seemingly harsh environment.

And thanks for the link! There are two articles linked in that article that also seem very interesting.

jon bones

user_475_tn_george_stobbart.jpg

Well, I've been institutionalized to the point of god-like aloofness.

george stobbart with the realness. glad i played it. considering going straight to Broken Sword 2 or mixing it up with The Longest Journey.

The latest greenlit games from valve are in.
Asylum made it as did Leisure Suit Larry Reloaded, can't help that be happy those two will arrive when they are eventually released. On flip side of that Gray Matter is still in limbo alongside other point n click games that deserve to be on Steam, they're just not getting the votes required.

I'm not sure if Devil's Attorney is from 2013 or not but I'd never heard of it until it popped up as an Editor's Choice on the Play Store about a week ago. It's a nice blend of adventure/turn based RPG/puzzle game. There's actually not a lot of adventuring I suppose, and it has an inverted difficulty curve as it actually gets easier since your new skills outpace those of the prosecutors. The voice acting is top notch (I was really surprised since it's a mobile game) but the script runs out of gas probably around the 2/3 mark.

uFj6f.png

BluWacky

The latest greenlit games from valve are in.
Asylum made it as did Leisure Suit Larry Reloaded, can't help that be happy those two will arrive when they are eventually released. On flip side of that Gray Matter is still in limbo alongside other point n click games that deserve to be on Steam, they're just not getting the votes required.

I would have thought that the vast majority of the potential audience for Gray Matter has already bought it, hence a reluctance to vote for it on Steam. It's US$10 on Amazon.com - if you want it, you've got it by now...

Wouldn't surprise me if there were people who still didn't have it because it wasn't on steam.
I got 360 version on launch. Totally know what you are saying though about Steam release via Greenlight, hard to get those votes when you have already sold through to your audience. I'm more pleased new games are being greenlit pre-release though, I just hope others like Fester Mudd don't get ignored. Seems like you only have a small window of time to get greenlit.

Rock Paper Shotgun has a write-up today about a free release of Ben Chandler's PISS. Don't let the name throw you, it doesn't appear to be anywhere near as immature as the name might imply; RPS seems really up on it.

I'm at work, so I haven't had a chance to play it, but it looks promising enough to link to.

BluWacky

Rock Paper Shotgun has a write-up today about a free release of Ben Chandler's PISS. Don't let the name throw you, it doesn't appear to be anywhere near as immature as the name might imply; RPS seems really up on it.

I'm at work, so I haven't had a chance to play it, but it looks promising enough to link to.

Interesting. Ben304 has excellent ideas and is a great artist, but his game are always so short! I will give this a play tomorrow no doubt.

TrutaS

That Gonne Home game looks absolutely incredible. I have been waiting for game to bring back a true sense of exploration and freedom and I think the House setting may be just the right mix of comfortable/strange.

I also like the fact that the graphics are not gritty or terror-like, just simple and straightfowad it adds to the feeling that this is just a house, despite what may be happening in there.

It's Shenmue! Always loved when games try to simulate entire rooms. I'd love to say someone do an experiment where the goal was to create one house (or maybe room) that was simulated entirely, and I mean entirely. Carpet could be ripped up, Walls could be hammered away, paper torn. Just curious if someone was only focused on simulation instead of gameplay could they do it? I think in the end the most difficult thing to do would be to get the interface working. Limited control options make it tough to perform the same actions you could in real life.
What's the release date on this?

Tizoc

Did this just get added? Had no idea it wason GMG. Thanks!

Fixed ;3

Playing To the Moon atm, altho FTL is cutting into it's play time @_@. So far I'm liking it and might let my sister try it (she's not into games but will prob. find the mystery intriguing).

BluWacky

Interesting. Ben304 has excellent ideas and is a great artist, but his game are always so short! I will give this a play tomorrow no doubt.

So I played, and finished, PISS this evening. It took me about an hour.

It's like every other Ben304 game, really. Lots - and LOTS - of generall well-written flavour text and dialogue, great art, interesting narrative concepts, super easy, super short. Also, this one ends completely unfinished, right when it's about to really start.

So business as usual.

And the devs already said this if you buy the game.

We've been developing Kentucky Route Zero for the last two years. We'll be releasing it in five acts over the course of the next year. Act one is available now at http://kentuckyroutezero.com for Windows & Mac. It's $7, or $25 to buy all five acts in advance (along with some extras like soundtrack mp3s and a private newsletter). Folks who purchase the game directly through us will also receive a Steam key when the game is available on Steam.

Top Bottom