• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point n Click Adventure GAF 2013 The pixel hunt continues.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
About 70% through Broken Sword 2: The Smoking Mirror.

This is excellent, and I like it more than BS1 in some places. I'm glad I finally got around to playing through these classics, as they are every bit as good as people have suggested.

Want to switch it up a little bit with something more modern and get a little more "out there" with the atmosphere. What should I play next:

Gemini Rue
Gray Matter
To the Moon

Edna and Harvey: Harvey's New Eyes is on sale for $5 on greenmangaming:
http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/om/en/pc/games/adventure/edna-and-harvey-harveys-new-eyes/
...and cheaper if you use the 20% discount code~
Tempted to get it at this price tbh...

It's pretty good. I picked it up for $5 for the Steam Winter Sale. I think it's better than the first Edna & Harvey (which wasn't a bad game), but not quite as good as the Deponia games. I liked the main character and found the conceit of her barely getting a word in edgewise during the game to be pretty charming.

It's a pretty easy adventure game, but definitely engaging enough to play all the way through. However, most of the achievements have ridiculous bullshit requirements, if that bothers you.

My primary disappointment with the game (end of act 1 spoilers) is that
the restriction system isn't as fleshed out as I hoped it would be. I was optimistic about the puzzle opportunities when the restrictions were introduced, but it ends up not amounting to much since the restrictions end up getting required and unlocked in a very linear manner.
. Still, I found it to be a worthwhile adventure game overall and would easily recommend it at that price.

epmode

Want to switch it up a little bit with something more modern and get a little more "out there" with the atmosphere. What should I play next:

Gemini Rue
Gray Matter
To the Moon

Gray Matter is the best traditional adventure game of the bunch. Gemini Rue is good although I feel like people overrate it a little. To the Moon is a visual novel

jon bones

Gray Matter is the best traditional adventure game of the bunch. Gemini Rue is good although I feel like people overrate it a little. To the Moon is a visual novel

woah i had mo idea Gray Matter was released on the 360. in digital form, no less!

anyone know if i can buy it and play on my US box?

I've noticed text adventures creep into the games I've played.

Kentucky Route Zero. Enter the Matrix (the best part of it). Frog Fractions. Coming soon with Quadrilateral Cowboy. And now a Ke$ha text adventure from a "why do I like violent video games?" article. Someone even made a Dishonored text adventure, unfortunately you can't play it.

kesha-1.jpg

Dhtext3a.jpg

(this is so fucking true it hurts)

Has someone been forming a gateway drug for me all this time to get into this sub-genre? XD

Tizoc

Slightly off-topic questions gang:
Jack Orlando, Enclave & Gorky 17 are on sale over at dotemu.com-
http://www.dotemu.com/en/download-game/4232/jack-orlando-directors-cut
http://www.dotemu.com/en/download-game/4261/gorky-17
http://www.dotemu.com/en/download-game/4266/enclave-gold

Tempted to get these, anyone got feedback on them? ...and are dotemu.com games DRM-free?

Speaking of which, how's Tony Tough:
http://www.dotemu.com/en/download-game/4601/tony-tough-and-the-night-of-roasted-moths

Re: Edna & Harvey: Thanks for the feedback mate, thing is I'd get it but I prefer going DRM-free route so will wait for the games to go for less than $10 on gog.com @_@
...unless this GMG.com ver. also comes with a DRM-free copy as well?

Almost everyone will be at the concert and it's your chance to be detective. The goal is to find the
firebird egg
=)

I played the Last Express a couple of weekends ago and I was really enjoying it until I came to a game breaking bug:

At the concert bit I climbed on the roof of the train (really loved this bit by the way!) walked along and dropped down to find the suitcase full of money. Walked back through the concert (to a few sideways glances) and tried to stash the case in my carriage. However, when I opened my carriage door the case would vanish from my hands.

This would happen EVERY time. Nothing I did seemed to change it, rewinding the clock, picking up the case and putting it down etc. It would always vanish when I got to my carriage.

It's such a shame because I really enjoyed the game up to that point. The style and the story were really well done, and I got up to that point virtually on my first run with no rewinding because it all felt so natural. I'm a bit gutted that I'll never get to see the end :-(

Berto

I played the Last Express a couple of weekends ago and I was really enjoying it until I came to a game breaking bug:

At the concert bit I climbed on the roof of the train (really loved this bit by the way!) walked along and dropped down to find the suitcase full of money. Walked back through the concert (to a few sideways glances) and tried to stash the case in my carriage. However, when I opened my carriage door the case would vanish from my hands.

This would happen EVERY time. Nothing I did seemed to change it, rewinding the clock, picking up the case and putting it down etc. It would always vanish when I got to my carriage.

It's such a shame because I really enjoyed the game up to that point. The style and the story were really well done, and I got up to that point virtually on my first run with no rewinding because it all felt so natural. I'm a bit gutted that I'll never get to see the end :-(
I'm afraid i don't know how to help you =( TLE unfortunatly is a game with some game breaking bugs if you're unlucky. Have you tried to hide the case somewhere else and returning there later?

Slightly off-topic questions gang:
Jack Orlando, Enclave & Gorky 17 are on sale over at dotemu.com-
http://www.dotemu.com/en/download-game/4232/jack-orlando-directors-cut
http://www.dotemu.com/en/download-game/4261/gorky-17
http://www.dotemu.com/en/download-game/4266/enclave-gold

Tempted to get these, anyone got feedback on them? ...and are dotemu.com games DRM-free?

I played Jack Orlando with my dad back when it was originally released, so I don't recall too much about the game. But I remember that I really liked the noir atmosphere and the graphical style.
What I didn't like was that there some scenes where you can die. It probably fit the whole noir setting, but I almost never like that in adventure games. I don't remember how numerous they were, though.

I'm afraid i don't know how to help you =( TLE unfortunatly is a game with some game breaking bugs if you're unlucky. Have you tried to hide the case somewhere else and returning there later?

I thought about that but there didn't seem to be anywhere else I could put it down.

Doomshine

Got The Testament of Sherlock Holmes for Ps3 and looking forward to The Cave next week too, not to mention the crazy amount of games I still have on the PC. Adventure game life is good.

Tizoc

Juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust checking but Walking Dead from Telltale counts as Point n' Click Adventure game, correct?
If so,
How do you guys feel about a PnC game being considered a GotY? Do you think it can get more people interested in the genre, if they get into it via Telltale's PnC games?

Got The Testament of Sherlock Holmes for Ps3 and looking forward to The Cave next week too, not to mention the crazy amount of games I still have on the PC. Adventure game life is good.

A warning that Testament sadly has frame rate issues on the PS3 ver., but the Platinum is do-able, but otherwise its a good game. IMO Should've gotten the PC ver. if possible ^_^;

Doomshine

A warning that Testament sadly has frame rate issues on the PS3 ver., but the Platinum is do-able, but otherwise its a good game. IMO Should've gotten the PC ver. if possible ^_^;

To be honest I was almost expecting that, but it's an adventure game so it doesn't really matter. With the PC I have currently I would've had frame rate issues anyway :)

jon bones

nearly 15 years later i finally beat that wheelchair puzzle... and now i get it.

With bony hands I hold my partner
On soleless feet we cross the floor
The music stops as if to answer
An empty knocking at the door
It seems his skin was sweet as mango
When last I held him to my breast
But now we dance this grim fandango
And will for years before we rest...

Juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust checking but Walking Dead from Telltale counts as Point n' Click Adventure game, correct?
If so,
How do you guys feel about a PnC game being considered a GotY? Do you think it can get more people interested in the genre, if they get into it via Telltale's PnC games?

I'm ecstatic that TWD won so many awards. I loved it and it got some old friends who hadn't played a PnC since back in the day to sort of jump back in. It sold extremely well which means Telltale has more money for their Fables game (love the first 10 trades of this book my gawd) and it'll encourage other devs to have faith in the genre.

Tizoc

I'd rather they first get to fixing the PC save bug first, which boggles my mind that they haven't gotten around to yet...

Jacqli

nearly 15 years later i finally beat that wheelchair puzzle... and now i get it.

With bony hands I hold my partner
On soleless feet we cross the floor
The music stops as if to answer
An empty knocking at the door
It seems his skin was sweet as mango
When last I held him to my breast
But now we dance this grim fandango
And will for years before we rest...

I love that part, beatiful poem and so well set... Even when you listen to the OST, you can feel how the game was made with care (yes, I finished it a little while ago too!)
And sorry, but you give me the perfect excuse to post this poster I made recently:
Someday I will make a pair of small ones (with adventure graphic theme as well) to put them below it.

The next adventure I will choose I think is going to be "The Dig", a classic that I found really hard when I was younger.

And my first post on Gaf!

jon bones

I love that part, beatiful poem and so well set... Even when you listen to the OST, you can feel how the game was made with care (yes, I finished it a little while ago too!)
And sorry, but you give me the perfect excuse to post this poster I made recently:

Someday I will make a pair of small ones (with adventure graphic theme as well) to put them below it.

The next adventure I will choose I think is going to be "The Dig", a classic that I found really hard when I was younger.

ah, welcome to GAF! i'm also going through all the adventures I found too hard as a kid. just wrapped up Broken Sword 1 & 2 and absolutely loved them. now i'm playing Grim Fandango and it's beautiful through and through. will certainly cop the OST after i'm done.

great poster, btw.

Jacqli

ah, welcome to GAF! i'm also going through all the adventures I found too hard as a kid. just wrapped up Broken Sword 1 & 2 and absolutely loved them. now i'm playing Grim Fandango and it's beautiful through and through. will certainly cop the OST after i'm done.

great poster, btw.

I think this season of the year, sooo cold, it's perfect for some adventure graphics. The bad side is I think I was better at absurd puzzles than now!

Broken Sword are really good choices, I even liked the third (not as much as the rest although I keep recommending playing it) but, from that game, I got completely lost in the series... And I do not like the aspect of the Kickstarter one.

Thank you for the welcome and the comment!

jon bones

I think this season of the year, sooo cold, it's perfect for some adventure graphics. The bad side is I think I was better at absurd puzzles than now!

Broken Sword are really good choices, I even liked the third (not as much as the rest although I keep recommending playing it) but, from that game, I got completely lost in the series... And I do not like the aspect of the Kickstarter one.

Thank you for the welcome and the comment!

i'm excited for the Kickstarter one - especially if it's bringing 2D back. if you think the 3rd is worth playing though, i may have to add it to the steam wishlist...

And yeah, i noticed i had more patience as a kid... now if i can't solve a puzzle in 15-20 minutes, i look it up. ain't nobody got time for that.

i'm excited for the Kickstarter one - especially if it's bringing 2D back. if you think the 3rd is worth playing though, i may have to add it to the steam wishlist...

And yeah, i noticed i had more patience as a kid... now if i can't solve a puzzle in 15-20 minutes, i look it up. ain't nobody got time for that.

I love the writing and characters so much of Broken Sword that I would recommend Sleeping Dragon too.

mclem

I hope everyone in this thread at least has voted for Gray Matter. It's really one the best games in the genre that's recently released.

I love the game, but as someone who lives in Oxford, the geography is hilarious.

I want to visit the magic shop that's hidden somewhere behind Pret-a-Manger.

Tizoc

It's a casual hidden object title with the usual traditional logic puzzles (Towers of Hanoi etc.) interspersed amongst the object hunting. I guess that's the same as the PSN version?

Should be satisfying for $2 at least right? =P

BluWacky

Should be satisfying for $2 at least right? =P

I dunno. I have more than enough games in my backlog, including point and click titles, to not be bothered about having another one that I don't really want. I've played enough hidden object games to last me a long time, I'm not going to play any more right now just because it's cheap :p

Tizoc

I dunno. I have more than enough games in my backlog, including point and click titles, to not be bothered about having another one that I don't really want. I've played enough hidden object games to last me a long time, I'm not going to play any more right now just because it's cheap :p

I was actually asking that question in regards for me, I wasn't trying to convince you to buy it ^_^;

Believe I may still have a sealed copy of Simon the Sorcerer 4 laying around somewhere. Never got round to playing it, had heard it was better than 3 (3D).
I will admit I never did play Simon the Sorcerer 2, I only had an Amiga back then and I remember it being cancelled, couldn't afford a PC in them days. Always remember loving the Chris Barrie talkie version of the original.
Vividly remember the wood worm. Mahogany!

I think this season of the year, sooo cold, it's perfect for some adventure graphics

This is so true. We've been having snow in the UK, and last Sunday I just stayed in bed playing Flight of the Amazon Queen on my iPad. Cosy!

You made that poster yourself? Wow, it's really good, I want one.

Welcome to GAF!

nny

So I ordered a plush doll of Josef, Machinarium's main character and I got this lovely email:

Robot Josef Machinarium said:
Hi,

thanks again for ordering me! I'm just being dispatched but please be patient, it can take around 10 days before I make it to your home - it's a long way from our small country surrounded by woods, mountains and broken highways.

I'm looking forward to meet you!

Cheers,

Josef (that robot guy from Machinarium)

Amanita <3

Tizoc

^Haha brilliant.
So this february, after I get paid, I'll grab Primordia from GOG.com. Granted it might go on sale during Feb. or March, but I want to support Wadjet Eye and $10 sounds good for a Point n' Click game for me~

wouwie

Botanicula is getting a collectors edition. Worth it? I've had my eye on this game for a long time but was sort of waiting until it was released on other platforms (iPad). I might grab this collectors edition instead. I bought the Machinarium collector's edition and loved it.

Also, the new Sherlock Holmes game will use the Unreal 3 engine.

Tizoc

Also, the new Sherlock Holmes game will use the Unreal 3 engine.

Wait does that link say the game's getting a PS3 release as well? Testament was OK, but I would've spent $20 for it (will grab it if it goes for $5 in a future sale XO), and for this one I'd get it for $20 as well when if gets released.

Ledsen

Just finished Resonance. I've come to the conclusion that I really don't like Wadjet Eye games. I stopped playing Gemini Rue after what I thought was a very poor first impression, and now that I've actually finished one of their games I don't think I'll be getting any of them in the future. The voice acting is alright, but the characters seemed strangely written, unsympathetic and occasionally stupid. The puzzles are okay most of the time, but towards the end (the dialogue puzzles MY GOD) some are just horrendous and rely on trial and error. The UI is extremely cumbersome and the "short-term memory" mechanic seems like one of those ideas that are good on paper, but ends up needlessly complicating the game and frustrating the player with its clunkiness. It should've been cut early on. Combined with the poorly paced and confusing plot, with important characters seemingly thrown in as an afterthought and contributing very little to the story (
the black Antevorta guy and Japanese girl
), I just didn't enjoy myself at all. Compared to the gorgeous, charming and thoroughly enjoyable Book of Unwritten Tales that I finished recently, this was on the opposite end of the scale.

Top Bottom