• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murkas

Izayoi said:
Fire is a shitty type anyway, nobody cares about it.

Fine, how about:

Water/Fighting
Fire/Psychic
Grass/Dark

This I would have liked! A good looking Water/Fighting starter could have dethroned Empoleon as my favourite starter ever.

Actually no, It's impossible to design a starter better looking than Empoleon

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Is there any real point to Challenger's Cave besides
getting some neat loot including Stone Edge
?

Izayoi

Banned
EvilMario said:
All three of these typings exist. Water/Fighting (Keldeo, Poliwrath), Fire/Psychic (Victini), and Grass/Dark (Cacturne, Shiftry)
Talking about starters here, man.

You can't deny that would be awesome.

Okay, okay. How about:

Water/Bug
Fire/Electric
Grass/Rock

Murkas said:
I like you.

Wiseblade

Murkas said:
This I would have liked! A good looking Water/Fighting starter could have dethroned Empoleon as my favourite starter ever.

I like you.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Just for those wondering, these are the types we have not seen yet. Rotom ate up a lot of the missing Electric forms.

Normal/Fire
Normal/Poison
Normal/Electric
Normal/Ground
Normal/Rock
Normal/Ice
Normal/Bug
Normal/Dragon
Normal/Ghost
Normal/Dark
Normal/Steel

Fire/Grass
Fire/Poison
Fire/Ice

Fighting/Flying
Fighting/Electric
Fighting/Ground
Fighting/Ice
Fighting/Dragon
Fighting/Ghost

Water/Fire

Grass/Dragon
Grass/Ghost

Poison/Electric
Poison/Psychic
Poison/Rock
Poison/Ice
Poison/Dragon
Poison/Steel

Electric/Dark
Electric/Rock
Electric/Psychic

Psychic/Bug
Psychic/Ghost

Rock/Ice
Rock/Dragon
Rock/Ghost

Ice/Bug
Ice/Steel

Bug/Psychic
Bug/Dragon
Bug/Dark

Ghost/Steel

Ghost/Steel would be amazing, and Grass/Dragon would have a 4x weakness to Ice, so I'm surprised we haven't seen it yet. Normal/Ghost would be interesting as well, covering up two major weaknesses (Fighting, and Ghost), leaving it only vulnerable to Dark. Psychic/Ghost is interesting, because it's the only possible combo with a 4x weakness to Dark.

Mush

Imma at Victory Road, gonna get ma ass handed to me in some caves. :(

Serperior lv.43
Krookodile lv.42
Reuniclus lv42
Swanna lv.43
Galvantula lv.43
Mienshao lv.50

Wiseblade

EvilMario said:
Just for those wondering, these are the types we have not seen yet. Rotom ate up a lot of the missing Electric forms.

Normal/Fire
Normal/Poison
Normal/Electric
Normal/Ground
Normal/Rock
Normal/Ice
Normal/Bug
Normal/Dragon
Normal/Ghost
Normal/Dark
Normal/Steel

Fire/Grass
Fire/Poison
Fire/Ice

Fighting/Flying
Fighting/Electric
Fighting/Ground
Fighting/Ice
Fighting/Dragon
Fighting/Ghost

Water/Fire

Grass/Dragon
Grass/Ghost

Poison/Electric
Poison/Psychic
Poison/Rock
Poison/Ice
Poison/Dragon
Poison/Steel

Electric/Dark
Electric/Rock
Electric/Psychic

Psychic/Bug
Psychic/Ghost

Rock/Ice
Rock/Dragon
Rock/Ghost

Ice/Bug
Ice/Steel

Bug/Psychic
Bug/Dragon
Bug/Dark

Ghost/Steel

You may as well add water/bug, Surskit barely counts.

Izayoi

Banned
EvilMario said:
WHY DO THEY ALL SOUND LIKE THE COOLEST TYPINGS

God damnit, Gamefreak. Stop that shit.

Delio said:
God a Grass/Dragon would get ripped apart. Unless it's packing good stats.
No worse than Dragon/Flying.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Just realized you can't give TMs to Pokemon to hold for trading between games. :( Makes sense I guess.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Delio said:
God a Grass/Dragon would get ripped apart. Unless it's packing good stats.

I thought this fit Serperior when I first saw it. I was pretty surprised it didn't end up with Dragon typing.

Murkas

Nothing but love for Empoleon bros, infact all 3 Gen 4 starters were very well designed.

Has this gen introduced a new Psuedo-legendary pokemon?

Izayoi

Banned
Murkas said:
Nothing but love for Empoleon bros, infact all 3 Gen 4 starters were very well designed.

Has this gen introduced a new Psuedo-legendary pokemon?
Yes. Hydreigon.

And he's a little bitch.

Roto13

Andrex said:
Just realized you can't give TMs to Pokemon to hold for trading between games. :( Makes sense I guess.
Well, you know. It's not like anyone will ever need one of yours. They can just find it in their own game and use it forever, right?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Loads of 'psuedo' Legendary Pokemon, but nothing that's going to get banned, it seems. Excadrill and Conkeldurr seem to be having some of the largest effects on the metagame, outside of Drought/Drizzle Pokemon.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
And let it be known that Farfetch'd should have had an evolution this generation and it should have been the amazing Fighting/Flying type.

Roto13 said:
Well, you know. It's not like anyone will ever need one of yours. They can just find it in their own game and use it forever, right?

It also gives them an excuse to change up the TM list in every game from now on... and I haven't decided whether that'd be a good thing or not.

Murkas

Hydreigon looks insane, I like its hybrid type alot.

On my way to the 5th Gym leader, Oshwatt at 36, Sandile, Simisear and elctric zebra at 30. Could do with another Pokemon.

Mush

EvilMario said:
I thought this fit Serperior when I first saw it. I was pretty surprised it didn't end up with Dragon typing.
Dragon is usually reserved for Legendary's (and crap like Druddigon) so I don't know how you came to the conclusion that they might give it to a starter lol.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Hydreigon is an amazing looking Pokemon and it's great to have another Specially based Dragon, but his Dark type, competitively, does little for him. He rarely uses Dark Pulse, in favor of better coverage, and Psychic is an attack type that is seldom used. And now priority Fighting is everywhere. He has anti-trolling speed too, being just under 100. If he was at 100 base, or a bit above, he'd be amazing. I'd give up 5 base power of SpAtk to pull above Garchomp and the base 100.

Still, he's pretty powerful, but it's a shame he didn't receive Nasty Plot. Just look at that beast.

Izayoi said:
WHY DO THEY ALL SOUND LIKE THE COOLEST TYPINGS

God damnit, Gamefreak. Stop that shit.

No worse than Dragon/Flying.
A lot of them don't make a whole lot of sense.
Normal and Ghost?
Water and Fire?
What kind of Pokemon would those be?

Wiseblade

Izayoi said:
Fast.

Dragon Pulse.
You see this guy?
<--
He'll take that easy and OHKO back with Ice Beam.

2wode8i.jpg

Even this guy will just outspeed (after 1 turn of speed boost) and OHKO with Hi Jump Kick.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
EvilMario said:
And let it be known that Farfetch'd should have had an evolution this generation and it should have been the amazing Fighting/Flying type.

There should have been lots of evos this gen... sadly the "Start fresh" mantra put a kibosh on that. Part of the reason I loved Gen 4 so much is that it introduced so many cross-gen evos and gave a much needed boost to many lines.

Electivirus said:
It also gives them an excuse to change up the TM list in every game from now on... and I haven't decided whether that'd be a good thing or not.

Well I'm doing that just now. I'm going down the list of what I need and cross-referencing with Bulbapedia, and apparently the following TM's have no known location as of yet: TM51
Ally Switch
, TM60
Quash
, and TM87
Swagger

And of course, the final TM, TM95
Snarl
, is unobtainable because the Gen 4 item needed to unlock it was never distributed.

Wiseblade

Andrex said:
I'm going down the list of what I need and cross-referencing with Bulbapedia, and apparently the following TM's have no known location as of yet: TM51
Ally Switch
, TM60
Quash
, and TM87
Swagger
All three of those are available in the battle subway for 36/48 BP.

out of those the types i want to see the most are
Bug/Dragon
Fighting/Flying
Fire/Water
Fighting/Ghost
Fighting/Electric
Ghost/Steel

actually the only typings on that list i wouldn't want to see are the Normal ones as i can't see what could conceptually be any of those that couldn't simply be a pure type instead.

Roto13

Achtius said:
What's the best place to grind post-national dex? I can't take the elite 4 yet. :(
The Big and Small stadiums refresh every day. (Maybe twice a day.) And the rich family in Undula Town or whatever it's called. Aside from that, I've done some grinding in the dark grass west of Black City. Lots of level 60s in there.

Mush

Weird question, how is the Battle Subway? Is it easier/faster to get points than Gen IV or is it more of the same luck-sack crit-o-mania bullshit?

Mr. Sam

How do you max out a pokemon's beauty in Black/White? I need to evolve a Feebas w/o trading. You can catch a Milotoc but the lowest it's available is about level 60.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Wiseblade said:
You see this guy?
<--
He'll take that easy and OHKO back with Ice Beam.

2wode8i.jpg

Even this guy will just outspeed (after 1 turn of speed boost) and OHKO with Hi Jump Kick.

All calcs are considering Modest Life Orb 252 SpAtk EV Hydra.

To be fair, the most common Empoleon, the Agility/Sub set, takes 50.3% - 59.6% from Draco Meteor which it RESIST. 116% - 136.5% from Focus Blast, and 86.5% - 101.9% from Earth Power do it no favors either. Even Fire Blast will ALWAYS 2HKO (57.7% - 67.9%).

Even the most defensive Empoleon (252 HP / 92 SpDef) you're likely to find takes 60.2% - 71% from Earth Power and up to 94% from Focus Blast. And Sub/Agility set with never OHKO with Ice Beam, Life Orb does 89% - 104.9%, and only Choice Specs is a 100% OHKO on 4HP Hydra.

As for Blaziken, with Protect, he has a chance because he'll be able to outspeed. Although if Hydra is sporting a Choice Scarf, he'll be in trouble. The only move Blaziken can switch in on is Fire Blast.

Just saying. :p

P90

Can souldew be found in Unova? When I get to transfering him over to Unova, my Latios from Platinum will want one.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
P90 said:
Can souldew be found in Unova? When I get to transfering him over to Unova, my Latios from Platinum will want one.

Not yet, I believe. You'll have to wait for it in Dream World, or event.

Mr. Sam said:
How do you max out a pokemon's beauty in Black/White? I need to evolve a Feebas w/o trading. You can catch a Milotoc but the lowest it's available is about level 60.

You can't. Only way to evolve it in B/W is via trading with that scale item.

Wiseblade

EvilMario said:
To be fair, the most common Empoleon, the Agility/Sub set, takes 50.3% - 59.6% from Draco Meteor which it RESIST. 116% - 136.5% from Focus Blast, and 86.5% - 101.9% from Earth Power do it no favors either. Even Fire Blast will ALWAYS 2HKO (57.7% - 67.9%).

Even the most defensive Empoleon (252 HP / 92 SpDef) you're likely to find takes 60.2% - 71% from Earth Power and up to 94% from Focus Blast.

As for Blaziken, with Protect, he has a chance because he'll be able to outspeed. Although if Hydra is sporting a Choice Scarf, he'll be in trouble. The only move Blaziken can switch in on is Fire Blast.

Just saying. :p

What defensive Empoleon set is only running 92 SDef? Last time I checked most were running 152 if not max. Yeah, standard Defensive set in Gen IV had ~100 Def EVs to survive (Just!) a LO EQ from Mence and dumped the rest in HP/SDef.

But yeah, neither of them have good odds when they switch in. And Blaziken can't even revenge without protect (and who's using that?).

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Wiseblade said:
What defensive Empoleon set is only running 92 SDef? Last time I checked most were running 152 if not max. Yeah, standard Defensive set in Gen IV had ~100 Def EVs to survive a LO EQ from Mence and dumped the rest in HP/SDef.

But yeah, neither of them have good odds when they switch in. And Blaziken can't even revenge without protect (and who's using that?).

Personally, I've seen almost no Empoleon usage. It's wildly outclassed on both sides now, and has too many common weaknesses to things like Earthquake, and the now common Mach Punch. Ferrothorn did Empoleon no favors.

And that's another reason to run more Defensive EVs too, in my opinion. Being 2HKO by nearly every Outrage in the game when you're trying to predict a Draco Meteor is no fun, nor is take a huge chunk from Ferro's Power Whip, or being OHKO by Roobn's Mach Punch.

Don't get me wrong, I love Blaziken and Empoleon, but they really can't touch Hydregion. But then, I don't think I'd switch Hydra in on either of them too. ;)

Cmagus

is there a guide out there that lists what level each pokemon evolve at? cause im grinding some and turns out some need stones

Roto13

Cmagus said:
is there a guide out there that lists what level each pokemon evolve at? cause im grinding some and turns out some need stones
Pretty much every online Pokedex can tell you that. Go to any Pokemon's page on Bulbapedia and it will tell you when or how it evolves, or what it evolved from. There are also lists of Pokemon that evolve using stones or by trade or happiness or whatever, if you want to know up front.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom