• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gravijah

iirate said:
How strange is it that simple world domination is small-scale bad guy stuff in this series?

On another note, I was just thinking about how cool it would be if we got Gen I and II on the 3DS shop along with some method to transfer to Gen V, finally linking all gens together in some capacity.

IVs and EVs are completely different, no abilities or natures... Would be a nightmare, unless when transferred the Pokemon are randomized or something. Plus, with FRLG and HGSS all gens are basically linked anyway.

Teknoman

The cutscene with N before seeing the first legendary was kinda cool. N seems like he's kinda losing it now that he's closer than ever. Or maybe its just me and the voice I imagined him speaking with.

iirate

Gravijah said:
IVs and EVs are completely different, no abilities or natures... Would be a nightmare, unless when transferred the Pokemon are randomized or something. Plus, with FRLG and HGSS all gens are basically linked anyway.

True, and I can't believe that I wasn't thinking about that, especially since I've been around day 1 every gen, and have always been in the know about the hidden mechanics and whatnot.

It would probably be way more trouble than it's worth to Nintendo, but if they'd just update the Special stat and the IV/EV system in the first 2 gens to gen III-V standards, they could randomly assign natures and abilities on transfer. No solution would ever be perfect here, I just hate the complete break between gens II and III.

The Lamp

789shadow said:
This is because they don't have a ludicrous plot to reshape the world/universe.

Yeah they have a morally noble cause (and a pretty strange theme for Nintendo to tackle considering their games revolve around cockfighting creatures you snatch away from their natural homes), it's just too bad Team Plasma is pants-on-head stupider than your average Pokemon crime organization (at least as far as I am in the game).

iirate

The Lamp said:
Yeah they have a morally noble cause (and a pretty strange theme for Nintendo to tackle considering their games revolve around cockfighting creatures you snatch away from their natural homes), it's just too bad Team Plasma is pants-on-head stupider than your average Pokemon crime organization.

I felt like there was a lot of self parody this gen, with Cheren being the know-it-all at the beginning interrupting the professor constantly, and Plasma making the world aware of how fucked everything is. Of course, Pokemon is in a magic fairy land where these creatures apparently LOVE being enslaved, so it all falls apart, but I thought it was some nice intentional self parody/minor fourth wall breakage.

Teknoman

iirate said:
I felt like there was a lot of self parody this gen, with Cheren being the know-it-all at the beginning interrupting the professor constantly, and Plasma making the world aware of how fucked everything is. Of course, Pokemon is in a magic fairy land where these creatures apparently LOVE being enslaved, so it all falls apart, but I thought it was some nice intentional self parody/minor fourth wall breakage.

Isnt it kinda on the same level as domesticating animals though?

D-Pad

Teknoman said:
Isnt it kinda on the same level as domesticating animals though?
Don't know about you, but I didn't find my two dogs by chasing down a pact of wolves, throwing a leash around their necks, and then immediately proceed to bathe and teach them to rollover because we were very suddenly the best of friends. :p
Gravijah said:
Speaking of Gen 1/2... As big as the Pokemon fanbase is, why can't I get some full demakes of Gen III/IV, GB style?!
If I knew all of the formulas, stats, etc, used in the games, I totally would have put something together a long time ago. :(

Teknoman

Heh when I was a kid, I ended up catching a wild Chow using bait. Looking back, that might not have been so safe, but it worked out great in the end. Chuck was an awesome dog.

D-Pad

I need to start recording my catches. Izayoi made a nice checklist and I've yet to even open it. :( Guess I'll do that tomorrow. Or today, since it's 4:15 in the morning now.

The Lamp said:
Sometimes I think about choking the life out of Spoinks by stapling their tails to the ground.
W-wh... Wha.. Okay... I suppose it's somewhat alright to have such thoughts... Sparingly...

I just spent over 2 hours transferring my Pokemon from Soul Silver. Did they really have to make you play a minigame? >_< Just let me transfer them all at once, damn! I have even more in Diamond.

zumphry

Banned
Wow. Just....wow. So I finally got to the Pokemon League and
wow. WOW. WOOOOOOOOW. The gates are such a awesome throwback to R/B/Y/FR/LG's gates and the music buildup was so awesome. Victory Road actually gave me a challenge, mostly because I think I'm underleveled. I think this is my favorite Victory Road. It blows every other Gen's out of the water.

Plus the reveal of the League building itself?! I thought D/P/Pt's was kinda cool, but holy crap!

As for my stats, I'm probably underleveled so any advice would be great:

34:27 | 8 Badges

Going to try to get everyone either up to level 50 or 55...

l4UZT.gif
King Han the Serperior | lvl 41 | Moves: Mega Drain, Leaf Tornado, Leaf Blade, Grass Pledge

CslaG.gif
Buddha the Darmanitan | lvl 45 | Moves: Flare Blitz, Hammer Arm, Dig, Fire Punch

TXaKJ.gif
Bono the Panpour | Lvl 45 | Moves: Crunch, Cut, Scald, Surf

bBPpJ.gif
Roosevelt the Rufflet | lvl 46 | Moves: Fly, Aerial Ace, Sky Drop, Air Slash

24nR2.gif
Blitzkrieg the Zebstrika | lvl 42 | Moves: Discharge, Thunder Wave, Flame Charge, Volt Switch

Njfom.gif
Marshmellow the Beartic | lvl 43 | Moves: Icicle Crash, Strength, Slash, Frost Breath

I'm going to replace my Beartic with either a Archeops, or Haxorus. What one is better against the Elite four? Rock/Flying with a few Dragon moves, or a pure Dragon?

Articalys

Izayoi said:
You haven't played for very long if you think the story is worse.

They've also eliminated a lot of the grind with Generation, the level scaling is far better than it has ever been before.

So play a little more, give it a chance.
I agree the story is better, but have to disagree with the scaling. The grinding isn't too bad, but if you didn't put together the right kind of team you will need to either spam items or pick up some extra levels for the big fights. It does help a little that the E4
and end fights only cover about a 6 level range instead of the usual 10 or so
, though.

edit/disclaimer: upon second thought I may have been moving at a faster-than-average pace through the main story, so the scaling may not realistically be as bad as it seemed to me.

JVIDICAN

ZayneH said:
wow. WOW. WOOOOOOOOW. The gates are such a awesome throwback to R/B/Y/FR/LG's gates and the music buildup was so awesome. Victory Road actually gave me a challenge, mostly because I think I'm underleveled. I think this is my favorite Victory Road. It blows every other Gen's out of the water.

I'm going to replace my Beartic with either a Archeops, or Haxorus. What one is better against the Elite four? Rock/Flying with a few Dragon moves, or a pure Dragon?

I'd personally go with a Scrafty since type wise it destroys most of the elite four. :p
Between Archeops and Haxorus, either should work fine. An Archeops with acrobatics would be great for at least one of the battles I know, and the only real threat(that I remember) for both of them is a single Ice type one of the four has.

r4z4

JVIDICAN said:
Sounds like something made with pokegen. Do the stats seem 'off' at all?

Attack: 126
Defense: 124
Sp. Atk: 114
Sp. Def: 131
Speed: 158

Also the Link trade date is 5th May 2010.

It's a female so at least I can breed for a legit one I suppose. Is there anyway to avoid these types of trades? I should start to set a lvl limit maybe?

r4z4

UltimateIke said:
It is straight up fake. There isn't a way to get a Snivy in a Master Ball.

Sorry should have been clearer, it was carrying a master ball as an item. But yes, it is definitely fake.

r4z4 said:
Sorry should have been clearer, it was carrying a master ball as an item. But yes, it is definitely fake.
Oh, my bad! I made the wrong assumption. Haha.

JVIDICAN said:
Oh, ok. I thought it was holding the masterball.
Yeah, definitely fake then.
You were right about it holding the ball. I didn't think of it that way.

Zertez

ZayneH said:

Plus the reveal of the League building itself?! I thought D/P/Pt's was kinda cool, but holy crap!

l4UZT.gif
King Han the Serperior | lvl 41 | Moves: Mega Drain, Leaf Tornado, Leaf Blade, Grass Pledge

CslaG.gif
Buddha the Darmanitan | lvl 45 | Moves: Flare Blitz, Hammer Arm, Dig, Fire Punch

TXaKJ.gif

bBPpJ.gif

24nR2.gif
Blitzkrieg the Zebstrika | lvl 42 | Moves: Discharge, Thunder Wave, Flame Charge, Volt Switch

Njfom.gif
Marshmellow the Beartic | lvl 43 | Moves: Icicle Crash, Strength, Slash, Frost Breath

Ditch the monkey, they are horrible. I would recommend picking up a Psychic or Fighting Pokemon, I like the Solosis line a lot.

xSL4INx

Well, I've beaten the Elite 4 and now doing post game stuff. Just working up to the hours in my Japanese White copy and then I'll start moving everything over from Soul Silver to start competitive breeding/EV Training/PokeRus spreading.

Team is:

Chandelure 50
Scrafty 50
Krookodile 52
Samurott 53

JVIDICAN

r4z4 said:
Attack: 126
Defense: 124
Sp. Atk: 114
Sp. Def: 131
Speed: 158

Also the Link trade date is 5th May 2010.

It's a female so at least I can breed for a legit one I suppose. Is there anyway to avoid these types of trades? I should start to set a lvl limit maybe?

Yeah breeding should be fine as far as I know. Check if the guy gave it Contrary(dream world) as its ability. Even if it's not legal for online you could have some great fun with that ability offline. :)

EDIT: Looks like the stats are actually in line with what they should be.
At Lv. 100
HP:
200 - 294
Attack:
85 - 207
Defense:
103 - 229
Sp.Atk:
85 - 207
Sp.Def:
103 - 229
Speed:
117 - 247

The Lamp

D-Pad said:
W-wh... Wha.. Okay... I suppose it's somewhat alright to have such thoughts... Sparingly...

I can't be the only one with sad, twisted thoughts towards Pokemon sometimes :(

Sometimes I wonder about dropping Charmanders into things like beer vats. Would the beer snuff their flames and instantly kill them, or would they incinerate the alcohol and burn themselves in a furnace? Or would neither happen, but they drown?

If Igglybuff truly can't stop rolling once it starts, then what happens if you were to strand it on the moon and kick it? Would it roll forever?

What happens when Drifloon uses Explosion? Does it just...pop? If I approached a Drifloon with a needle and popped it, would that be the end of Drifloon?

So many questions.

The Lamp said:
I can't be the only one with sad, twisted thoughts towards Pokemon sometimes :(

Sometimes I wonder about dropping Charmanders into things like beer vats. Would the beer snuff their flames and instantly kill them, or would they incinerate the alcohol and burn themselves in a furnace? Or would neither happen, but they drown?

If Igglybuff truly can't stop rolling once it starts, then what happens if you were to strand it on the moon and kick it? Would it roll forever?

What happens when Drifloon uses Explosion? Does it just...pop? If I approached a Drifloon with a needle and popped it, would that be the end of Drifloon?

So many questions.
A true scholar asking the tough questions.

OMG Aero

The Lamp said:

So many questions.
I'm pretty sure when Pokemon use self-destruct or explosion they just release so much energy they can't continue battling, they don't actually explode.
That's why in the anime and games like Pokemon Snap when you see Electrode use explosion they are just really tired and can't do anything after the attack.

Izayoi

Banned
OMG Aero said:
I'm pretty sure when Pokemon use self-destruct or explosion they just release so much energy they can't continue battling, they don't actually explode.
That's why in the anime and games like Pokemon Snap when you see Electrode use explosion they are just really tired and can't do anything after the attack.
Yeah.

It's not an explosion in the traditional sense. More an explosion of energy.

Self-destruct I think is supposed to be similar but the wording is a little fishy, to be honest.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm disappointed with my old Uni. I walked by it with the thought that if there's one place I'm bound to find Pokemon lovers, it's a Univeristy.

Not one single passerby. King's, I am disappoint.

farnham

Banned
ZayneH said:

l4UZT.gif

CslaG.gif

TXaKJ.gif

bBPpJ.gif

24nR2.gif

Njfom.gif

you need fight and dark imo

r4z4

seady said:
What is a good place to ask for people to help me trade?

I badly need to evolve my Conkeldurr and Escavalier….

Do they evolve right after trading? If so then I'm happy to trade them and then give them straight back to you now. FC - 0475 7071 3967

seady

r4z4 said:
Do they evolve right after trading? If so then I'm happy to trade them and then give them straight back to you now. FC - 0475 7071 3967

For Conkeldurr yes, but for Escavalier to evolve the opposite party need to trade in Shelmet (of course I will trade it back to you).

My Friend Code is 0862 2735 9545
Name is billysea

r4z4

seady said:
For Conkeldurr yes, but for Escavalier to evolve the opposite party need to trade in Shelmet (of course I will trade it back to you).

My Friend Code is 0862 2735 9545

OK, don't have a Shelmet sorry but we can trade to get our Conkeldurrs? Be in wifi room in 2 mins.

A little question around moves with better type range/effect. I am thinking of breeding Acheolops with either Earth Power or Dragon Pulse. I know Dragon Pulse is important incase people use a lot of dragons, and dragons tend to have high def, so a move thats in special attack can be decent. Earth Power is unique due to being a Special attacker, and can lower the stat. Also ground has a good type range too and id be able to hit Electric pokemons.

seady

r4z4 said:
Are you trading with another person at the moment? I see you in the Wifi Club but it says you are already trading...?

Oh yes, sorry about that. Someone was trading with me already.
Do you want to trade something else to fill some pokedex?

r4z4

seady said:
Oh yes, sorry about that. Someone was trading with me already.
Do you want to trade something else to fill some pokedex?

I'm ok as far as B/W pokemon go. Any previous gen starters would be nice if you have them, else don't worry about it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom