• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT3| Community Edition

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Anastacio said:
Thanks for your answers Andrex, I'll read through them here in an hour.
I'm signing up for Global Link just to secure my username as well.

Oh, and I tried watching if there were any gifts and to my surprise I just got the Liberty Pass, thought the event ended at April 10th and that it just wasn't updated in the OP yet. But I can't get Victini anymore then, right?

No, you can. And the OP says it ends at April 27, which is what it does end at. It was extended for whatever unknown reason.

Ravidrath

I keep forgetting this thread is over here in Community now.

Does anyone else hate the Eevee game? It seems far too difficult for something kids are supposed to play, in my opinion.

Also, has anyone gotten one and tried breeding it? Will the offspring have Anticipation, which can then turn into their DW-specific ability when they evolve?

Boss Man

I saw someone mention in OT2 that they had slowed down the flash player on Global Link to play the Eevee game. While I hate to 'cheat', the game is so laggy that it's pretty much unplayable so if anyone knows how to do that I'd love to know how.

Ravidrath

StateofMind said:
I saw someone mention in OT2 that they had slowed down the flash player on Global Link to play the Eevee game. While I hate to 'cheat', the game is so laggy that it's pretty much unplayable so if anyone knows how to do that I'd love to know how.

I finally beat it and got my Espeon, but I don't really have any tips for it.

The main thing that was screwing me up was hitting other menus and things while controlling my paddle, but I also felt that my ball was occasionally going through the paddle.

Boogiepop

Is there any way to keep going to the island without picking up a pokemon each day? As in, can you stockpile in the dreamworld? It let me do this before I registered my cart, but now it keeps saying I have a pokemon ready for transfer and won't let me go to the island again. Is there any way around this? I only have WiFi access three days of the week, which is making this REALLY annoying.

Roto13

Zzoram said:
do you have to local link or can you online link?
It has to be local.
Mank said:
Is there any way to keep going to the island without picking up a pokemon each day? As in, can you stockpile in the dreamworld? It let me do this before I registered my cart, but now it keeps saying I have a pokemon ready for transfer and won't let me go to the island again. Is there any way around this? I only have WiFi access three days of the week, which is making this REALLY annoying.
If you have a Pokemon waiting for you, you can't go to the Dream Island. When you're finished with the Dream World, sign out and prepare to wake up. It will send the waiting Pokemon to your in-game forest thing. Once it's there, you don't have to catch it right away if you don't want to. I have like five just sitting in the forest. As long as it's in your game and not in your Dream World, you can go to the Dream Island.

Boogiepop

Roto13 said:
If you have a Pokemon waiting for you, you can't go to the Dream Island. When you're finished with the Dream World, sign out and prepare to wake up. It will send the waiting Pokemon to your in-game forest thing. Once it's there, you don't have to catch it right away if you don't want to. I have like five just sitting in the forest. As long as it's in your game and not in your Dream World, you can go to the Dream Island.
Damn, that sucks. So I'm pretty much crippled for having registered my game cart. Thanks Ninty :|

upandaway

JVIDICAN said:
Nice. Now prove your worth by battling me! >:D
I could battle you! I just battled my friend yesterday and it was tons of fun.

By the way can you only do level-snap 6 on 6 locally? Through online we could only do level-snap with 3 on 3. And my Pokemon are all level 74.

JVIDICAN

upandaway said:
I could battle you! I just battled my friend yesterday and it was tons of fun.

By the way can you only do level-snap 6 on 6 locally? Through online we could only do level-snap with 3 on 3. And my Pokemon are all level 74.
Yeah, I believe flat rules with 6 pokemon is only available via local connection. Which is a shame. :/
I'm always up for a battle, but it'd have to wait until tomorrow. I needz ma sleeps. :p

Forkball

Ok since I beat the game a while ago, I want to just throw out my final thoughts on the game.

I've been a Pokemon fan since Red/Blue. While I enjoyed Black/White, I feel like it didn't do enough to be considered Gen V. The jump from each gen was pretty enormous, and always introduced something that completely changed how Pokemon played. Black and White didn't do anything to the series that really changed the way we play the game.

Also, while this game has some of the best looking and most interesting cities, the overworld is incredibly lacking in variety. All the routes are the same, none of them stand out or have variety. The landmarks are also pretty boring. Moor of Icirrus? This place has nothing. NOTHING. There are also now cool caves or huge labyrinths to explore. Twist Mountain came close, but BW's Victory Road is a joke compared to the others. Think about all the cool places D/P had. Mt. Coronet. Valley Windworks. Stark Mountain. Great Marsh. Solaceon Ruins. The Underground. Old Chateau etc. BW has a bunch of bridges and tiny caves. Chargestone Cave was quite good though. I like Pokemon primarily for it's well-designed overworld and huge places to explore, but I felt like everything in this game was pretty much just nothing unless I was in a city.

Ok, enough with bashing, let's get to the positives. Reusable TMs. FINALLY. Unfortunately this is less awesome since you can't put items on Pokemon you transfer from Gen IV. Also, this generation probably had the best Pokemon to battle with. In the previous generations, I always had trouble making a team of six because frankly, many useful Pokemon aren't until post game or they're so late in the game you become too lazy to level up. In this game, I had TOO MANY awesome Pokemon I wanted to train before I even beat the E4. This game does a great job of giving you a lot of good Pokemon early on and keep introducing really interesting ones. This is probably the best Pokemon game if you're into battling, I was really impressed by how unique each Pokemon was in battle. There were less jobber Pokemon, each one seemed to have a lot of strengths instead of just filling space.

I haven't delved into the post-game a whole lot, maybe that will change my opinion. But overall, I feel that this game did a great job when it came to the actual Pokemon, but failed when it came to an interesting world.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Forkball said:
I haven't delved into the post-game a whole lot, maybe that will change my opinion. But overall, I feel that this game did a great job when it came to the actual Pokemon, but failed when it came to an interesting world.
Man I couldn't disagree more. It feels like there are literally a dozen secret or hidden caves, paths and routes that I am still finding at 80+ hours logged. I've been on a media and Serebii blackout so I've been figuring it all out on my own.

Just tonight I discovered the double waterfall route that leads to Landorus's shrine. I had passed by that route a lot and knew that I would eventually want to go up that waterfall, but I hadn't expected it to lead to where it did (with a little house and a scripted event of people at the shrine. Super cool.).

It took me forever to figure out the "secret" of the Giant Chasm. I think I went in there four or five times knowing that there was more to it until I finally got it.

When I was preparing for the Elite Four, I had a heck of a time figuring out how to get into the area that Axew could be found in. I could see it on my Pokedex since I'd fought a trainer who had an Axew, but I had no idea how to get in there to search for one. I think I tried before the 7th gym and then again after the 8th gym but couldn't figure it out either time. Right before the E4, I searched one last time and finally found the entrance (and caught an Axew and raised him up for the E4).

In the post-game, when I walked past that house where the lady comes out to tell me about Thundurus, I was blown away - I'd swear I'd walked that route a dozen times and that event had never happened.

I went back to the mine when Winter hit and found it awesome that the whole thing was packed with snow and there were new routes that I don't think I'd had access to before. I think I found a TM or two.

And I somehow missed the entire Desert Resort during my run-up to the Elite Four. I had just 100% bypassed it somehow. So when I went there in the post-game and Professor Juniper was there looking at the statues of the Pokemon who had been asleep for a thousand years (or whatever), that was awesome. I think I caught a rare or Legendary Pokemon at the bottom of the relic, too.

And considering there are Legendaries that I haven't run into yet, I'm assuming there are even more secret routes that I haven't found. I am in the process of coming out of my Serebii blackout now so I'm sure I'll end up using Serebii to locate the rest, but it was an amazing run. I've never seen so many interesting things outside of the cities in a Pokemon game. :)

So yeah, I totally disagree about the world.

Articalys

My biggest complaint about the world was how incredibly linear it was. Yes, I know Pokemon games usually have a railroading plot, but at least the routes would cross each other at some points or have some closed loops or something. Unova is almost literally a straight line from home to the Pokemon League, moreso than any game before it.

isny

napkin dispenser
Articalys said:
My biggest complaint about the world was how incredibly linear it was. Yes, I know Pokemon games usually have a railroading plot, but at least the routes would cross each other at some points or have some closed loops or something. Unova is almost literally a straight line from home to the Pokemon League, moreso than any game before it.

It seems like more of an introductory Pokemon game. Something to hook the new generation of kids who have never played a Pokemon game before. (As opposed to Heart Gold and Superior Silver which was total fanservice)

I'm sure the remakes of Ruby and Sapphire will be totally amazing compared to B/W, as they're probably going to be 3DS enhanced.

Articalys

isny said:
It seems like more of an introductory Pokemon game. Something to hook the new generation of kids who have never played a Pokemon game before. (As opposed to Heart Gold and Superior Silver which was total fanservice)

I'm sure the remakes of Ruby and Sapphire will be totally amazing compared to B/W, as they're probably going to be 3DS enhanced.
Fair enough, I guess -- the endgame made up for a lot of the simplified world design, at least.

isny

napkin dispenser
Farfetch with Roost and Defiant today from the DW. Still only at 1800 pts though =(

Guess that's what happens when I take 4+ days off, lol

upandaway

Got a male Tangela with Leech Seed today so I just went with that. Besides him and a Shinx knowing Magnet Rise, the rest of the Pokemon knew shitty DW-only moves.

Ability-wise I've stopped caring. It's way harder to get a good move, so when you do it takes priority.

By the way, unless I'm mistaken somewhere just today I got something like 600 points. That even possible? By this rate I'll unlock the new area tomorrow.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Forkball said:
Black and White didn't do anything to the series that really changed the way we play the game.

No.

Forkball said:
There are also now cool caves or huge labyrinths to explore.

No. (Undella Ruins.)

Forkball said:
Think about all the cool places D/P had. Mt. Coronet. Valley Windworks. Stark Mountain. Great Marsh. Solaceon Ruins. The Underground. Old Chateau etc.

Yes.

Forkball said:
Also, this generation probably had the best Pokemon to battle with.

...yes and no.

OMG Aero

upandaway said:
Got a male Tangela with Leech Seed today so I just went with that. Besides him and a Shinx knowing Magnet Rise, the rest of the Pokemon knew shitty DW-only moves.

Ability-wise I've stopped caring. It's way harder to get a good move, so when you do it takes priority.

By the way, unless I'm mistaken somewhere just today I got something like 600 points. That even possible? By this rate I'll unlock the new area tomorrow.
Speaking of Dream World moves, can you get a Pokemon with more than one DW move? I have never seen a DW Pokemon that knows more than one move and, while I might not be that good at the other mini-games, I think I am getting pretty much the best score I can in the Pelipper game.

isny

napkin dispenser
OMG Aero said:
Speaking of Dream World moves, can you get a Pokemon with more than one DW move? I have never seen a DW Pokemon that knows more than one move and, while I might not be that good at the other mini-games, I think I am getting pretty much the best score I can in the Pelipper game.

Is it not random which one you get?

upandaway

OMG Aero said:
Not through the DW as far as I know. I once found the missing Pokemon in 4 seconds (it was 1:26) including the lost item, and got one move. I'm not even sure if the move was a DW one.

Is might be possible through some convoluted breeding route

Edit: by the way, is there anywhere which has a list for minimum scores in the games for DW moves?
I think with the missing Pokemon it's 4000, and the lowest I've got with wailord is 28 balls. Dunno about the others.

Boogiepop

Ondore said:
Gen 2: Special split, Dark/Steel types

Gen 3: New EV/IV system, natures

Gen 4: Correction of physical/special to per-move

Gen 5: ... Dream World?
Don't forget Hold Items in Gen 2, and abilities in Gen 3.

Morokh

Ondore said:
Gen 5: ... Dream World?

Infinite TM's has to count for something, and definitely Alternate abilities via Dream World are a big deal in the metagame (but DW wasn't really necessary for that)

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Oh yeah!

Shiny Ferroseed today in Chargestone Cavern! :D

Black and White have been good to me in terms of Shiny Pokemon...Leavanny, Sewaddle, and Ferroseed now.

Ondore

You have to go to the Name Rater and have him rename it, then put in the regular name for the new nickname.

If it's traded though, you're out of luck. You have to be the original trainer.

xSL4INx

I'm almost done breeding for Solosis, after I pick the one I want I'll have tons left over. If anyone wants Solosis at Lv 1, with a quiet nature, let me know.

I took a break because I needed to get back into MvC 3 to get somewhat decent with TAXMaster and make people pay, but I'll probably play Pokémon some more once I figure out something else to do now that my team is done.

Pachimari

Ondore said:
You have to go to the Name Rater and have him rename it, then put in the regular name for the new nickname.

If it's traded though, you're out of luck. You have to be the original trainer.
Do you happen to know where this Name Rater is?

Pachimari

yeb said:
The big city, Castelia. Go to the northernmost street, and he'll be in a building on the left.
Oh that's great, because I just got my second badge and is slowly on my way there.
Just gotta find that Fossil head Team Plasma took
. =)

dc89

xSL4INx said:
I'm almost done breeding for Solosis, after I pick the one I want I'll have tons left over. If anyone wants Solosis at Lv 1, with a quiet nature, let me know.

That'd be awesome seeing as I only have Black, need any Pokemon Black mon in return? :p

Top Bottom