• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT3| Community Edition

Vyktal

There are random matches available at all times online. Check the person on the right side, upstairs of the Pokemon Centre. You can play ranked, or not. It's no hassle at all to do this.

There is a competitive online scene with simulators as well. It can save you plenty of time to try out a team too, even if you plan to breed all the Pokemon later. Singles is very popular in simulators, but doubles and VGC is gaining a large following.

Nintendo is also hosting online tournaments a few times per year. There's one coming up, and registration just opened for it. Sign up for an account (linking it with your game) and head over to http://en.pokemon-gl.com/gbu/ to sign up.

Awesome, thanks for the advice! I've just started the game again so I reckon it'll be a while till I'm at the point where I can play in proper tournaments.

As an aside, last night I was starting to think of a team using Smogon University tiers. Is this the standard tiers used in Nintendo and online events as well, or in a random online match are you still likely to fight someone sporting 'ubers' no matter what?

Cheers!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Awesome, thanks for the advice! I've just started the game again so I reckon it'll be a while till I'm at the point where I can play in proper tournaments.

As an aside, last night I was starting to think of a team using Smogon University tiers. Is this the standard tiers used in Nintendo and online events as well, or in a random online match are you still likely to fight someone sporting 'ubers' no matter what?

Cheers!

They're not exactly the same, but are 'similar' in the ban list. VGC / Nintendo ruleset bans the base 100s (Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Phoine/Manaphy, Shaymin, Victini) and the usual suspects in Mewtwo, Ho-Oh, Lugia, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Dexoys, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Darkrai, Arceus, and Reshiram, Zekrom, and Kyurem. Soul Dew is banned in both, and VGC carries item clause (but no Sleep, or Evasion clause)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
That was more than 12 hours!

I'll do it when I get home. :p

What do I need to add? Mewtwo event and...?

OMG Aero

For anyone wondering, you can get both the special c-gear skins for one version of the game.
Since this is now confirmed, I'd like to repost my request from earlier:
So does anyone want to be awesome and lend me their event Zekrom so I can get the skin for it in the Dream World? I only want to upload it to the Dream World, do the minigame to get the skin and then you can have it right back, and if someone with Black wants to do the same I can let you borrow my event Reshiram at the same time.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Major OP update-age!

• Zekrom/Reshiram Wi-Fi event and accompanying C-Gear skins added.

• Mewtwo Wi-Fi event has been moved to past events.

• The only Pokemon musical event (as far as I know) has been moved to past events.

• The remaining Pokemon Global Link event Pokemon, Banette, has been moved to past events.

• The Venusaur, Victini, Charizard, and Crustle C-Gear skins have been moved to past events. Blastoise is the last of the Kanto starter C-Gear skins and it'll be gone in four days. I can't believe the US still hasn't/will never get them, they're so damn cool.

• Concurrent with all my open source threads, I've refreshed the Google Docs icons used for the Friend Code and thread contribution buttons to match the current versions.
Tell me if I missed anything.
Or add it yourself. ;)

Wiseblade, you messed me up when you added the Euro Kanto starter skins. All events are supposed to be reverse-chronological based on the end date for the event. This way, the events ending sooner are closer to the top. Just everyone keep it in mind for the future~

Although I don't know how many things will still be given out with BW2 coming out in just three months. (Wow!) It's been a while since the "Happening Now!"s have been so few. Gentlemen, it's been an honor playing with you and keeping the OP up-to-date. *salutes*

Vyktal

I was wondering, do any of you guys tend to follow any particular guide/algorithm/thought process when building your teams?

I've personally gone with making a B&W only OU team (according to smogon) with pokes which I think are cool, but I don't really have any overarching tactic. The team is as follows:

- Scrafty (Bulk up, Drain Punch, Crunch, Rest) holding ??
- Haxorus (Outrage, Earthquake, Brick Break Dragon Dance) holding Life Orb/Lum Berry
- Hydreigon (Draco Meteor, Dark Pulse, Flamethrower, Focus Blast) holding Expert Belt
- Volcarona (Quiver Dance, Fiery Dance, Bug Buzz, Morning Sun) holding ??
- Serperior (Reflect, Light Screen, Taunt, Giga Drain) holding Light Clay
- Accelgor (Bug Buzz, Focus Blast, Spikes, Energy Ball) holding Choice Specs

I was thinking that Serperior sets up barriers, Vol+Hyd+Hax+Scraft all do their sweepy thang as they're all strong stand-alone pokes, and have Accelgor's speed clean up at the end.
If that wasn't working I was thinking of perhaps switching Accelgor for Zoroark (I dunno how to get him yet but he seems like fun) and maybe get rid of Serperior/an attacker for Ferrothorn since he's the perfect Stealth rock+ set-upper...

Any advice would be appreciated! There seem to be so many options for team building that its a little overwhelming!

upandaway

Oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck there's a Japanese Shiny Rayquaza WiFi sometime soon isn't there? Did it start already? Fuck. Fuck fuck fuck I don't have my Jap copy on me.

God help me.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Huh? I thought B/W wouldn't be in America until December?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Huh? I thought B/W wouldn't be in America until December?

Confirmed for Q3. Latest it could hit is September.

So what are we going to do for the BW2 thread?

We could collab on it if you want. I don't care who posts it as long as it's also on Google Docs.

Due to how close the Japanese and international releases are, there won't be a need for separate OTs I feel.

Gravijah

i'm pretty sure if you talked to a mod they would move it back to gaming for the international launch.

i'd personally just prefer two threads.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
- The Zoroark C-Gear skin, which expired in America a while ago, has now also expired in Europe and has been moved to the expired C-Gear skins section
- The Piplup C-Gear skin has been added, it is an international skin and should work for all non-Japan copies. End date is currently unknown.

lWcCN.png

OMG Aero

What the heck happened to Roto and Seks? :(

Poke-bros NOOOOO
Roto got banned for repeatedly bitching at people complaining in the Nintendo Download thread about eShop releases being delayed in Europe even though he would post the same thing about Virtual Console games in America.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I was wondering if anyone could trade me a spare Zorua. I am pretty early in my White game so the only thing of any value that I can offer is a Snivy, Oshawott, and Eevee. The other things I have are pretty much trade trash. The Snivy, Oshawott, or Eevee would be in egg form. The trade trash would not be because it's just whatever duplicates I could catch in the wild.

Ragus

Banned
I'm standing at the entrance of pokemon league. My team levels are around 41-48. I guess it's time for some grinding. I have a question:

Let's say, that I add a lvl 100 Reshiram to my party. Will the rest of my team lvl up faster because of that one 100 lvl pokemon?

Andrefpvs

Let's say, that I add a lvl 100 Reshiram to my party. Will the rest of my team lvl up faster because of that one 100 lvl pokemon?

No. In fact, if you battle with Reshiram, you will waste experience points, since Reshiram is already at level 100.

Ragus

Banned
I didn't mean to fight with it. I simply thought, that when I fight with a pokemon who has a lower level, he gets more exp than a pokemon with the highest level, so that he could faster achieve the same level.

OMG Aero

I didn't mean to fight with it. I simply thought, that when I fight with a pokemon who has a lower level, he gets more exp than a pokemon with the highest level, so that he could faster achieve the same level.
Nope, this doesn't happen. Maybe you got confused with the thing where the higher level the Pokemon you are fighting, the more exp you get.

Ragus

Banned
I've finally beaten the Elite 4 and now it's time for endgame content. I noticed something strange. My team consists of pokemon with levels 47, 51, 52, 52, 52, 53, and now I encounter trainers, whose pokemons are level 60 and higher.

The strange thing is that I have no problems whatsoever with defeating them, while I struggled to beat Elite 4, whose levels were much lower. How is it possible? Not that I'm complaining, but it still seems a little off.

LegoArmo

The Elite 4 use some of the strongest Pokemon in the game. The trainers after, not so much. Plus, I assume you know your type advantages and the AI isn't too clever.

Ragus

Banned
Yeah, I understand what you mean. I was a little suprised, because I thought that pokemons that are on lvl 60 would rape my party, but fortunately that is not the case ;).

OMG Aero

If I recall correctly, the trainers after the Elite 4 don't have full teams either which makes them way easier when you have a full team of battle ready Pokemon even if they are under-levelled.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I don't see a promotion page for the Piplup C-gear skin in the US?

Also it seems I didn't get the Zekrom skin despite putting him the dreamworld. Woe.

Top Bottom