• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 2: "This is the Real Power of Johto..."

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
If you don't buy a 3DS for Harmoknight then you should be barred from participating in any other threads about Game Freak's games.

If you don't buy a 3DS for Harmoknight then you should be barred from participating in any other threads about Game Freak's games.

Dude, I'm not concentrating on the 3DS at all. The amount of games that I care about on that system can be counted on an amputee's fingers.

Anth0ny

I don't buy systems for one game only. As much as I love Ace Attorney, it's simply not going to be enough to make me get a 3DS.

-Pokemon
-Ace Attorney
-Awesome Mario
-Okay Mario
-Mario Kart
-Kid Icarus
-OOT and Star Fox 64

That's not bad for $200. Maybe you should wait for the inevitable 3DS + Pokemon Gen 6 bundle next fall.

I don't buy systems for one game only. As much as I love Ace Attorney, it's simply not going to be enough to make me get a 3DS.

the-miracle-never-happen.jpg.jpeg

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Dude, I'm not concentrating on the 3DS at all. The amount of games that I care about on that system can be counted on an amputee's fingers.

Then why buy a DSi? It literally has nothing except for a very small selection of bite-sized digital games.

3DS is backwards compatible with DS and DSi and also, obviously, forwards compatible with 3DS games.

-Pokemon
-Ace Attorney
-Awesome Mario
-Okay Mario
-Mario Kart
-Kid Icarus
-OOT and Star Fox 64

That's not bad for $200. Maybe you should wait for the inevitable 3DS + Pokemon Gen 6 bundle next fall.
AA is the only appealing thing on that list. I'm not interested in the direction 3D Mario has gone, and I've played enough of NSMB2 on my friend's 3DS to know that I want nothing to do with it. I hate Kid Icarus and I'm not interested in buying ports.
I really don't see the advantage in going for the DSi which outweighs the complete lack of future compatibility, that the 3DS will avoid.

It can hook up to my router. Plus DSi's are cheaper.

Buying a 3DS XL without any games you want on the horizon might not be the best decision in the world.

Buying a DSi for router compatibility certainly is a worse decision, though.

As an aside; your Kid Icarus hatred baffles me.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Buying a 3DS XL without any games you want on the horizon might not be the best decision in the world.

Yeah, USB dongles on Amazon can do that for like $15 bucks.

As an aside; your Kid Icarus hatred baffles me.

I want to be able to enjoy everything that the DS can do without being gimped due to router security.

And I've never liked Kid Icarus. Not the NES game, not his character in Brawl, not anything. I don't know why me choosing to not play a game in a series I don't like is baffling.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
That's like saying you played Donkey Kong and as Mario in Brawl, so you know you won't like Galaxy.

I want to be able to enjoy everything that the DS can do without being gimped due to router security.

The 3DS does this, with new stuff on top.

And I've never liked Kid Icarus. Not the NES game, not his character in Brawl, not anything. I don't know why me choosing to not play a game in a series I don't like is baffling.

The 3DS game has absolutely zero in common with the rest of the franchise in gameplay, tone, characterisation or whatever else you want.

Anth0ny

AA is the only appealing thing on that list. I'm not interested in the direction 3D Mario has gone, and I've played enough of NSMB2 on my friend's 3DS to know that I want nothing to do with it. I hate Kid Icarus and I'm not interested in buying ports.

Fair enough.

Uprising is totally different from the other Kid Icarus games, though. It's pretty much Star Fox on crack. I didn't think I'd like it either, but I picked it up and really enjoyed it. You should give it a try.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
It's pretty much Star Fox on crack. I didn't think I'd like it either, but I picked it up and really enjoyed it.

Yeah if I played it it'd be for that.

Not for

OMG NINTENDO FINALLY LISTENING TO THE HARDCORE AND MY PRAYERS AND MY DREAMS AND MY ONLINE PETITIONS THANK PALUTENA

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Good games get well liked. Strange, but true.

The Kid Icarus IP has very, very little to do with it. I made the OT, and I wasn't even born when the original came out.

Yeah I'm sure there are people who do like the game for what it is. Which is great.

I just hate the people who think Kid Icarus is some sort of coveted IP that NEEDED to return.

It's funny you mention that because everytime I encounter these people I doubt they were born when the first game came out also.

Yeah I'm sure there are people who do like the game for what it is. Which is great.

I just hate the people who think Kid Icarus is some sort of coveted IP that NEEDED to return.

It seems to me that the most popular characters and mechanics have absolutely nothing to do with classic Kid Icarus but, you know, whatever.

The 3DS does this, with new stuff on top.

The 3DS game has absolutely zero in common with the rest of the franchise in gameplay, tone, characterisation or whatever else you want.
I still don't see any reason why I should get a 3DS when I know I'm not going to be buying any games for it in the foreseeable future. Seems like a waste of money.

And Uprising still has Kid Icarus all over it, which is enough for me to stay away. Like it or not, branding is one of the things I look for when purchasing games.
I don't hate Kid Icarus I hate the drone-like love for it.

This was annoying as fuck, too.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I don't even have Uprising yet lol, and I'm not too hot on the idea of the ground sections. Plus I never really gelled with Sin & Punishment 2, I like my railshooters in Houses and full the the Dead.

But really I'm just waiting for it to hit the eShop.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
B2 has an INSANE amount of content. I've been too busy working and playing pokemon to even think about not posting about pokemon in here.

I take it back, I won't do it...or maybe just a team with Monferno and Ambipom again. If only the elemental monkey designs were much better.

MikeMyers

Hey Man God, I found a Soul Silver run with only Grass Pokemon used. I feel like you would enjoy it, let me know if you want to see it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Hey Man God, I found a Soul Silver run with only Grass Pokemon used. I feel like you would enjoy it, let me know if you want to see it.

Did they only use in region pokemon? If so that could get ugly fast. Johto is not kind to grass types even though it has two of my favorites in Chikorita and Jumpluff.

Hey, here's a crazy idea: what if next Gen, instead of Gym Leaders sticking to one type they built their team around a specific theme? Here are some examples:

Leader Melody (Team: Chatot, Loudred, Kirlia, Ludicolo)

Leader Gorge (Team: Snorlax, Vanilluxe, Swalot, Tropius, Crawdaunt)

Leader Morpheus (Ditto, Castform, Kecleon, Cherrim, Zen Darmanitan)

Leader Narcolepta (Hypno, Jigglypuff, Musharna, Snorlax)

Something like that.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Basically what I expected. Probably would have traded his kingdom for a Torterra or a Breloom. Could have gone for an extremely late game bulbasaur!

Meganium
Jumpluff
Victreebel
Belossem
Tangrowth
Exeggutor

Haha that would be pretty difficult. Shows how dumb gym leaders are. I like how Red and Blue (and probably a couple others) are the only trainers to listen to the advice everyone in the game tells you about diversifying.

Top Bottom