• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

PK Gaming

I need to relax...

EDIT: Oh... but that kind of information has no place on the smogon dex. I'll use veekun for that extraneous info, and Smogon for competitive analysis.

Firestorm

Did you quote the wrong post? That's exactly what I said.

Edit: Except for that point about unnecessary information. What's unnecessary to you isn't unnecessary to others.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I don't think we've ever had a real argument in PokeGAF, mostly we just have some heated banter...

Firestorm

We'll have to agree to disagree. When I'm trying to make a team I usually like knowing what type a move is, if it's physical/special, priority, and what game it's from (illegal movesets) so I use Veekun. I do like how we have what target it affects at a glance on Smogon. If Veekun implemented that their dex would be perfect but right now you have to click to find that out x.x

Suairyu

Banned
Back in the Red/Blue days I had all the type relationships memorised. I also knew the entire 151 Pokémon and their elemental types so I'd never put a foot wrong.

These days, I'm always having to go to bulbapedia and look up the each element to remind myself what it's weak to etc. Sad times.

Boogiepop

I always forget what Drapion is, constantly mixing it together as some combination of Bug/Poison/Dark and forgetting what it actually is.

Suairyu

Banned
I think the problem is that I'm not watching the anime. I mean, back in the day you'd see a new episode every week that dealt with some new Pokémon which served to educate you on it. You also had a weekly Pokérap to drill the names and pictures into your head.

Without it, learning every Pokémon is tough.

Boogiepop

Yeah, I think actually playing the TCG in Gen IV really helped drill those pokemon into my head, but my Gen V knowledge is pretty poor, at least off the top of my head. Trying to watch the anime or something would probably help.

Kaper

Argggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Having read all the posts about favorite route music, I've really wanted to play a Johto game again, but my friend who sold me his DS can't find the flash cart that was part of the deal. My copy of Gold still has a working battery. Play Gold, or wait for the flash cart for an indeterminate amount of time?

Argggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Having read all the posts about favorite route music, I've really wanted to play a Johto game again, but my friend who sold me his DS can't find the flash cart that was part of the deal. My copy of Gold still has a working battery. Play Gold, or wait for the flash cart for an indeterminate amount of time?

Both! Gold version is still my favourite game ever so perhaps I'm biased (that's pretty obvious at this point) but you can't beat the charm of the 2nd gen games.

EDIT: and speaking of route music...

I always forget what Drapion is, constantly mixing it together as some combination of Bug/Poison/Dark and forgetting what it actually is.

l3Di4.gif

I'm doing the nuzlocke challenge in Pokemon Red. It was going pretty well until Mount Moon.

Remy the Rattata died to a wild Zubat who spamed Supersonic.

Then Harry the Beedrill and Edgar the Zubat died to that cheating Team Rocket asshole with his fucking level 16 Raticate.

So now I'm left with Lv 20 Charles the Charmeleon, Lv 19 Scuttle the Pidgeotto, and Lv 13 (as of now) Jafar the Ekans.

Suairyu

Banned
I'm just about to reach Elesa in my white replay. Normally she's the easiest gym leader in the game but because for this playthrough I'm forcing myself to use Pokémon I've did use originally she's going to be the toughest.

I miss Blitzle :(

Can someone explain this nuzlocke thing?

1) Can only catch the first Pokemon you encounter on each route (miss it? too bad, that's you're chance for the route gone)
2) Any fainted Pokemon are dead and must be released

Needing to nickname all your Pokemon isn't a strict rule, but it's general practice for a Nuzlocke run.

LeleSocho

Banned
1) Can only catch the first Pokemon you encounter on each route (miss it? too bad, that's you're chance for the route gone)
2) Any fainted Pokemon are dead and must be released

Needing to nickname all your Pokemon isn't a strict rule, but it's general practice for a Nuzlocke run.

interesting... after i released a dead pokémon from let's say route 20 can i go again and capture a pokémon from route 20?

Emitan

I'm just going to refresh this thread because I have no idea where to go to for the news.

Yeah. I hate it when news threads pop up in gaming because I refresh my subscriptions to browse GAF. I don't really look at the different forums anymore.

Suairyu

Banned
Boney don't ever invite people into this community thread ever again. The kid we're talking with right now is incomprehensible and I don't want him here he isn't cool enough for us.

Quick question. I've been out of the Pokemon game for a while, and forgot how some things work. According to Serebii, they're giving away Arceus on "Global Link".

Can someone explain to me like I'm 5 how exactly I get him?

Quick question. I've been out of the Pokemon game for a while, and forgot how some things work. According to Serebii, they're giving away Arceus on "Global Link".

Have to use the dream world site I think.

Suairyu

Banned

Go here.

If you haven't already, create an account and register your game.

Login.

Click 'Promotions'

Select the Arceus event.

Enter password 'ARCEUSVOTE'

Congratulations, you have an Arceus.

Now go back to the global-link main page and click on 'Dream World'. Follow the instructions on how to sync a Pokémon to the dream world. Once you've done that, you can collect Arceus from the dream world and you'll be able to catch him in-game in the entralink.

Boney

Banned
Boney don't ever invite people into this community thread ever again. The kid we're talking with right now is incomprehensible and I don't want him here he isn't cool enough for us.

I just feel so lonely cause you guys talk about pokemon games and anime so much and i don't understand a word you guys say!

;_;

Salvadora

Are there any Pokemon you guys would love to use but for one reason or another are useless? I really like Stantler for some reason but i just can't bring myself to put it on my team.

Rarutos

Are there any Pokemon you guys would love to use but for one reason or another are useless? I really like Stantler for some reason but i just can't bring myself to put it on my team.

Butterfree, Beautifly, and Mothim! Though I used Butterfree once anyway, it wasn't too bad. But it died fast. :(

Suairyu

Banned
I went through a period of always having a Pikachu on my team. One day I graduated to Raichu but he's still not that amazing.

I don't think I was alone in this.

In game I can't think of a single pokemon I like that doesn't have at least some viabilty, if any thing my desire for every pokemon on my team to be a different type holds me back more. Online though I could prob name a few I like but that aren't that good like espeon,gallade and gardevoir.

Pigeot. It's so cool-looking, but oh god it sucks so much. I can never bring myself to NOT use it, though.. ;-;

ffdgh

I wouldn't say it's completely useless but floatzel due to its horrid defenses.
i demand swords dance and extreme speed

Excluding situations where I vastly prefer the previous form of a pokemon (Krokorok and Charmeleon)there have been some pokemon I liked but due to poor stats or movepools I tend to ignore, back in the days of Silver I liked Delibird but it sucks, Qwilfish isn't too great either.
Heatmor almost suffered the same fate, I like it a lot but its moves are pretty poor, regardless I kept it in my Balck version team, Beartic wasn't so lucky.

And while not quite the same thing Abomasnow is one of my top 5 pokemon but curse the ability Snow Warning!

D-Pad

rmIuQ.gif

Mightyena would make for a cool-looking house pet, and that's about it. I also wish I could carry a team of Zubat all the way through the Pokemon league but the game doesn't really allow for awesome runs like that, despite the it constantly declaring otherwise.

Edit - Phrased that wrong, as I'm pretty sure with enough grinding you can take almost ANY Pokemon through the league, but...

Top Bottom