• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

PK Gaming

I agree completely. It's the equivalent of if Capcom listened to the rants of morons on forums when balancing Street Fighter IV.

Oh, wait...

Trust me when I say this that the best and brightest worked on making the Pokemon metagame significantly better, so yeah comments like these aren't warranted. I for one am damn glad Excadrill is finally banned, the grip it had on the BW OU metagame was insane.

Firestorm

So I see that the US VGC nationals is taking place from June 29th - July 1st (Fri-Sun). Does anybody have a clue of how the event breaks down over the course of the weekend? I've already scheduled some time off the following week for EVO and am wondering if I could swing VGC as well if I don't have to be there Friday.
Last two or three years it was LCQ on Friday followed by Swiss on Saturday and Top Cut on Sunday. This year there's no LCQ (Nationals is open without any qualifications required) so I assume it'll be just registration and side events on Friday followed by Swiss on Saturday and Top Cut on Sunday. You can still register Saturday morning I'm sure.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Trust me when I say this that the best and brightest worked on making the Pokemon metagame significantly better, so yeah comments like these aren't warranted. I for one am damn glad Excadrill is finally banned, the grip it had on the BW OU metagame was insane.
If they were so bright, they'd either be playing a BW metagame that was reasonably balanced out of the box (doubles) or a singles metagame that conformed to their ridiculously outdated notion of what "should be" OU (Advance). Gamefreak has been steering away from 6v6 singles as a competitive standard since at least DPPt and it only gets more obvious with each iteration.

Modern Smogon is pretty much a bunch of old cranks that don't want to get with the times.

Last two or three years it was LCQ on Friday followed by Swiss on Saturday and Top Cut on Sunday. This year there's no LCQ (Nationals is open without any qualifications required) so I assume it'll be just registration and side events on Friday followed by Swiss on Saturday and Top Cut on Sunday. You can still register Saturday morning I'm sure.
If you're reasonably certain that I can skip out on Friday that'd be perfect. I need to double-check.

Svafnir

Almost done Pokemon white! Glad I came back to this game, also is the anime worth watching anymore? I stopped very quickly after johto league or whatever it was.

Robin64

Anyone from the UK heading to the Birmingham Pokémon VGC Championship on March 3rd? Last time I went, the StreetPasses were just insane and this year more people will have a 3DS. It will be StreetPass heaven!

Suairyu

Banned
Anyone from the UK heading to the Birmingham Pokémon VGC Championship on March 3rd? Last time I went, the StreetPasses were just insane and this year more people will have a 3DS. It will be StreetPass heaven!
You know I'd be half tempted just to run around for 30 minutes and collect enough street passes to complete that 'quest'. There's no other way to do it really.

Other than using a second DS, a flashcart and a heap ton of different .sav

Wichu

Nooo, don't taunt me :(
I don't have enough time to go (and probably won't for the next couple of years either)...

OMG Aero

I've had a hard enough time justifying a train ride to other cities for event Pokemon before, I'm not sure if I can do it just for streetpasses.

PK Gaming

If they were so bright, they'd either be playing a BW metagame that was reasonably balanced out of the box (doubles) or a singles metagame that conformed to their ridiculously outdated notion of what "should be" OU (Advance). Gamefreak has been steering away from 6v6 singles as a competitive standard since at least DPPt and it only gets more obvious with each iteration.

Modern Smogon is pretty much a bunch of old cranks that don't want to get with the times.

And you're titled to your opinion over what metagame is "better" but again, I won't have you insulting Smogon users with your petty generalizations. Cranks? Give me a break. Gamefreak has been steering away from singles since RSE IIRC. Just so you know, there are a ton of other metagames endorsed by Smogon, including VGC (2012).

And you're titled to your opinion over what metagame is "better" but again, I won't have you insulting Smogon users with your petty generalizations. Cranks? Give me a break. Gamefreak has been steering away from singles since RSE IIRC. Just so you know, there are a ton of other metagames endorsed by Smogon, including VGC (2012).

They can't control every facet of VGC, though.

Pollux

This is probably a silly question, but why are there two different versions of the game each generation? i.e. red and green, red and blue, gold and silver, ruby and sapphire, black and white, etc.

And then why is there a combo game? i.e. yellow, crystal, platinum, etc.?

What's the point? Are there any real differences between the different versions of the games besides the cover art pokemon being in the game? Am I missing something?

ffdgh

somewhat different stories.
exclusive pokemon to each game.
Give the incentive to trade with the other game for said pokemon.
preference
stuff left out for the eventual combo*lol

for the "combo"

Adds stuff that could have been in the first two*lol*
pokemon from both past games are accessible.
gym rebattles
battle frontier
vrs seeker *hopefully*
move tutors
expanded plot.
access to legendary pokemon that can be obtained in the other two

Pollux

somewhat different stories.
exclusive pokemon to each game.
Give the incentive to trade with the other game for said pokemon.
preference
stuff left out for the eventual combo*lol

for the "combo"

Adds stuff that could have been in the first two*lol*
pokemon from both past games are accessible.
gym rebattles
battle frontier
ve seeker *hopefully*
move tutors
expanded plot.
access to legendary pokemon that can be obtained in the other two

Ok, thanks.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
On my work computer I now have all 678 PLDH Pokemon wallpapers on rotate every 20 minutes.

I got the itch again. Gray can't come soon enough.

ffdgh

halolz-dot-com-pokemon-ygotas-pokemononmotorcycles.jpg

Firestorm

He's also a Smogon member so I doubt he was generalizing all of Smogon, just those involved in the suspect test process.

Wiseblade

So you;re going to ignore the fact people are complaining about the fundamentally flawed idea of a competitive community creating their own banlists based on the votes of top ranked players? OK then.

I wouldn't have a problem with that kind of system if it weren't for those in power who squander the potential of the B/W metagame as we speak. And, to be fair, they don't represent all of Smogon—there are assy peeps everywhere, and oftentimes they can be annoyingly vocal.

This vitriol, however, isn't going to elevate our moral standard. Best to keep the discussion respectful.

PK Gaming

They can't control every facet of VGC, though.

Who said anything about controlling it >_>

Smogon plays VGC 100% untouched. No bans, proper timer on the simulator, etc.

So you;re going to ignore the fact people are complaining about the fundamentally flawed idea of a competitive community creating their own banlists based on the votes of top ranked players? OK then.

Who's complaining, really. There are scrubs who have lambasted the Smogon ruleset, but from what i've seen from the general populace, people are on decent terms with Smogon ruleset. Even Gamefaqs is coming around, and the "Hate on Smog00n" threads are pretty extinct.

Again, I don't think I like your sarcastic attitude. I know how ridiculous it sounds to have an entire metagame based around the opinions of a few, but its really useful in practice. Though nowadays, "suspect tests" are done away with. Replaced by the more efficient but less fun council system. What would you personally change if you were in charge of tiering an entire metagame?

Wiseblade

Who said anything about controlling it >_>

Smogon plays VGC 100% untouched. No bans, proper timer on the simulator, etc.

Who's complaining, really. There are scrubs who have lambasted the Smogon ruleset, but from what i've seen from the general populace, people are on decent terms with Smogon ruleset. Even Gamefaqs is coming around, and the "Hate on Smog00n" threads are pretty extinct.

Again, I don't think I like your sarcastic attitude. Like, what would you personally change if you were in charge of tiering an entire metagame?

Have you played any other game competitively before? I have. All you need to do is look at those to see how backwards the Smogon suspect testing system is and how lazy it has made a lot of people.

Why does it feel like I'm arguing with Big One?

Firestorm

Again, I don't think I like your sarcastic attitude. I know how ridiculous it sounds to have an entire metagame based around the opinions of a few, but its really useful in practice. Though nowadays, "suspect tests" are done away with. Replaced by the more efficient but less fun council system. What would you personally change if you were in charge of tiering an entire metagame?
Get outta your bubble PK Gaming x.x There exists a world outside Smogon and the clusterfuck that is GameFAQs. People who follow / play other competitive games in addition to Pokemon do for the most part think the way we do things on Smogon is the very definition of scrubish. It's one of the things I tried to explain but gave up on doing a while back on Smogon.

Anyway, as we've all mentioned earlier, OU is just another custom metagame. As time passes, VGC will likely become more and more seen as the competitive standard (especially if their expansion plans are what I think they are). There won't be any people bitching because the control over the ruleset will be taken out of the hands of the players and put back where it belongs. And it's not like the players have zero influence because the people in charge of the rules do actually read the forums and listen to player feedback.

As for the bolded, I wouldn't =P

Shut down Smogon
Believe it or not, artificially shaping a metagame is not Smogon's primary function. Although it has been getting away from it in recent years, it's called Smogon University for a reason. The site centres around knowledge sharing. It's about helping each other get better at Pokemon battling. Tournaments are also a core focus and that's where you put your knowledge to practical use. This tiering bullshit didn't happen until about 4 years after the creation of the site and unfortunately now that it has been almost 8 years since the site's conception it feels like we've been doing it forever. It has tarnished Smogon's image but I hope moving forward that will change...

PK Gaming

Have you played any other game competitively before? I have. All you need to do is look at those to see how backwards the Smogon suspect testing system is and how lazy it has made a lot of people.

Why does it feel like I'm arguing with Big One?

I've played dozens of competitive games before, so your assertion is unfound (though predictable).Try to make your responses have content, better before attempting to
impress us with your insight. ad hominem or so they say. The evidence that you were churned out by Smogon is obvious; but at least try pretend you aren't bitter by the way things are run. And if you aren't... then whats your deal?

Anyway, I think i've had just about enough with your weary and stale comments. I'd rather argue with Big One than with you. At least he didn't think he was a better person than the person he was arguing with.

Get outta your bubble PK Gaming x.x There exists a world outside Smogon and the clusterfuck that is GameFAQs. People who follow / play other competitive games in addition to Pokemon do for the most part think the way we do things on Smogon is the very definition of scrubish. It's one of the things I tried to explain but gave up on doing a while back on Smogon.

Anyway, as we've all mentioned earlier, OU is just another custom metagame. As time passes, VGC will likely become more and more seen as the competitive standard (especially if their expansion plans are what I think they are). There won't be any people bitching because the control over the ruleset will be taken out of the hands of the players and put back where it belongs. And it's not like the players have zero influence because the people in charge of the rules do actually read the forums and listen to player feedback.

As for the bolded, I wouldn't =P

DRAW YOUR SWORD TRAITOR!

Though i'll wait and see if your claim rings true. OU, UU, Ubers and the rest of the metagame have been for years, I don't think they'll get overcome by VGC that easily.

Wiseblade

Not trying to troll Smogon, but are there any other websites that go over competitive Pokemon?

Pretty much every fansite does, but not nearly to the same degree.

I've played dozens of competitive games before, so your assertion is unfound (though predictable) Try to make your responses have content, better before attempting to
impress us with your insight. The evidence that you were churned out by Smogon is obvious;
but at least try pretend you aren't bitter by the way things are run.

Anyway, I think i've had just about enough with your weary and stale comments. I'd rather argue with Big One than with you. At least he didn't think he was a better person than the person he was arguing with.

You. Are. Not. Serious.

survivor

Banned
I've played dozens of competitive games before, so your assertion is unfound (though predictable) Try to make your responses have content, better before attempting to
impress us with your insight. The evidence that you were churned out by Smogon is obvious;
but at least try pretend you aren't bitter by the way things are run.

You are so wrong here it's hilarious

Firestorm

Not trying to troll Smogon, but are there any other websites that go over competitive Pokemon?
There are others but really not as well. WishMKR sort of flopped. SkarmBliss does VGC but aside from their Pokemon Online server they don't have anything over Smogon. There's a lot of effort on the site. There's still work to be done to make it more cohesive (and I think people will really like some of what's coming up) but it's still the premier destination for competitive Pokemon.

Our dex is ass though. If you just want straight up information I recommend using Veekun and Bulbapedia.

Though i'll wait and see if your claim rings true. OU, UU, Ubers and the rest of the metagame have been for years, I don't think they'll get overcome by VGC that easily.
If Game Freak stopped making their campaigns so singles-focused, I have no doubt VGC would take over =P But yeah, we'll have to see. Singles Pokemon is just so ingrained in people because that's what they play for 20 hours in every game. I'm just wondering what it'll be like when there are VGC events every month at hundreds of locations which is what I think is going to happen over the next few years.

Top Bottom