• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
So guys, I want to ask this away from the madness of the actual B/W2 thread.

Conceptually, do we prefer the idea of a two-version direct sequel to a "director's cut" third version? Even if it adds no new Pokémon?

I think I do.

I like the idea more but it's up to Game Freak to capitalize on the potential. Like I said, a 3rd game is 90% the same as the first two, whereas as a sequel this has the possibility to be much more.

I would take a new generation over both options though, but I knew that probably wasn't going to happen right now.

LeleSocho

Banned

Conceptually, do we prefer the idea of a two-version direct sequel to a "director's cut" third version? Even if it adds no new Pokémon?

I think I do.

Yep i prefer the dual version

With this new look finally Reshiram looks somewhat decent (it's awesome just like Zekrom2)
I'll take the Black Sapphire version.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Do not tell me you're one of these "anime =/= cartoon" people.

I dunno I just think they mean two different things. And I'm not militant about saying anime only comes from Asia, I wouldn't raise an eyebrow if someone said Avatar was an anime.

frostbyte

I like White's Music a bit more so I guess I'm going to go with that.

I think I do.

I'd rather play a sequel than a director's cut tbh. I remember loving GSC since it had all those little references to RBY even though it wasn't really that great of a gen. Just going back through to see what changed was a delight. Although this time round with BW, I don't have nostalgia goggles so it's going to be slightly different this time.

Suairyu

Banned
I dunno I just think they mean two different things. And I'm not militant about saying anime only comes from Asia, I wouldn't raise an eyebrow if someone said Avatar was an anime.
I wouldn't use the term "cartoon" to describe most adult orientated anime, but I wouldn't think it incorrect either. It's especially appropriate for something like Pokémon.

Boogiepop

Speaking of move tutors, it'd be real nice if they'd just bring back ALL the old ones for B/W2. The idea that if I want, say, a Body Slam Togekiss, I have to give it that move back in Gen III and then transfer it up is pretty nuts, and kinda pointlessly annoying.

Also, anyone else think it's possible we may get actual new pokemon in these games? It's definitely unprecedented, but I don't really see what else could get new forms outside of Kyurem.

Oh, and I really hope they introduce an item or something to make it so that Luvdisc can evolve into Alomomola or vice-versa, or something to that effect. They really need to be tied together.

Wiseblade

Recently I've been thinking that HGSS missed a trick. Imagine if when you first started a new save file the game secretly checked for a completed copy of FRLG in the GBA slot and would give Red a levelled up and fully evolved version of the team you beat the E4 with the first time on that game.

Suairyu

Banned
Recently I've been thinking that HGSS missed a trick. Imagine if when you first started a new save file the game secretly checked for a completed copy of FRLG in the GBA slot and would give Red a levelled up and fully evolved version of the team you beat the E4 with the first time on that game.
If it was a secret check, almost no-one would have activated it. You have to get quite a bit into the game to even Pal Park, right?

Wiseblade

If it was a secret check, almost no-one would have activated it. You have to get quite a bit into the game to even Pal Park, right?

I don't know, I had Emerald in my DS when I started playing Diamond. Although it could just pull a Mother and say "Before we start, do you have FireRed or LeafGreen? If so, you might want to pop it in the GBA slot. Why? Oh, no reason really."

frostbyte

I don't know, I had Emerald in my DS when I started playing Diamond. Although it could just pull a Mother and say "Before we start, do you have FireRed or LeafGreen? If so, you might want to pop it in the GBA slot. Why? Oh, no reason really."

I haven't played much of Mother/Earthbound. What does that do?

Put it this way; I will buy Pokemon White 2 on DS. I probably would not have bought Grey on DS.

It's considerate that Game Freak made White Kyurem so goddamned dope, so I can feel confident in buying White 2 to go with White and dopest Zekrom.

I'd imagine that, if this game expanded the region both to the west and the east, we could head into both New Jersey and New England simultaneously, albeit done in the Pokemon style. Heck, I'd love to see a Pokemon version of Albany or Ithaca—a capital city and a college town!

The idea is really cool, but execution is always what matters the most. After the increase in presentation and quality of the plotline in B/W, I don't think it'll be too difficult to come up with some interesting plot twists and interesting things to do, what with the fused Kyurem forms posing a new threat.

And Pokemon the anime can be cartoony at times, though it also tries to be too Speed Racer-esque at times too. Anime is just a broad category for all Japanese animation, and cartoons are and have always been a subset of Western and Japanese animation.

Emitan

Anyone else hoping they add in innate characteristics to Pokémon eventually? Levitation shouldn't be an Ability if it's the Pokémon's natural state. Flying Pokémon naturally evade Ground type attacks, why not Bronzong?

survivor

Banned
This WiFi shit is honestly pissing me off. I was able to connect and do the Game Sync in the afternoon and now it refuses to connect to the GTS. then I do a test connection and it works but still refuses to connect to the GTS. Fuck

Firestorm

Anyone else hoping they add in innate characteristics to Pokémon eventually? Levitation shouldn't be an Ability if it's the Pokémon's natural state. Flying Pokémon naturally evade Ground type attacks, why not Bronzong?
That'd be a little annoying. It's sort of like figuring out if a move makes "physical contact" right now.

Kokonoe

Banned
I may be the only that wants this, but I kinda want the original Gold and Silver on the 3DS Virtual Console, to have a digital Pokemon version for once.

frostbyte

I may be the only that wants this, but I kinda want the original Gold and Silver on the 3DS Virtual Console, to have a digital Pokemon version for once.

I'd rather have the original Red and Green version. Those sprites were deliciously disgusting.
not to mention RBYG > GSC

Suairyu

Banned
not to mention RBYG > GSC
When people say stuff like this I can only presume what they really mean is "at the place I was at the time, I enjoyed the RBYG experience more than I did the GSC a couple of years later" rather than making any statement of quality.

Emitan

The rock makes contact.

Should I get paralyzed by electricity for throwing a rock?

While the move itself is classified as Physical and runs off the Attack and Defense attributes, the attacking Pokémon doesn't actually touch the defending Pokémon in the attack

Kokonoe

Banned
Should I get paralyzed by electricity for throwing a rock?

While the move itself is classified as Physical and runs off the Attack and Defense attributes, the attacking Pokémon doesn't actually touch the defending Pokémon in the attack

Maybe it's how hard they throw it?

frostbyte

When people say stuff like this I can only presume what they really mean is "at the place I was at the time, I enjoyed the RBYG experience more than I did the GSC a couple of years later" rather than making any statement of quality.

I thought RBYG was a more balanced experience overall than GSC. GSC had a lot of forward thinking ideas such as the Pokegear, Apricorns, Time of Day events and breeding. Some of them weren't implemented very well and felt they put it in out of obligation. These ideas are refined and are actually well thought out in later generations rather than feeling like they were shoehorned in half-heartedly. For example, Time of Day events such as the Bug-Catching contest and the Week Siblings seemed just like the developers trying to pad the game out for more game time. Apricorns seemed pretty useless, as its only function was for creating circumstantial Pokeballs. I far prefer the berry system's implementation of being used as items as well as being Pokeblocks. I felt GSC did Pokegear and breeding very well though. RBYG didn't have as many innovations persay, but I didn't feel like any part of it was underdeveloped or cheap.

In terms of story events, I regard GSC as being quite well structured, although some of it is out of RBYG's book. For example, when you beat the last gym, you return to the home town before heading of to E4 felt like a moment of great game design in GSC but RBYG did the exact same thing. The whole return to Kanto in GSC was fun (although the gyms were way too underleveled) but some of it just felt lazy and uninspiring. For example, Cinnabar City becoming just a rock and a half felt like the developer's gave up. Viridian Forest, the closed Safari Zone and Celadon City are victims of this as well.

Ultimately, this is just my opinion and I just don't like it when people try to justify GSC as being heaps better than RBG, just because of nostalgia and returning to Kanto again. Some of it may sound like bitching about minor points or anything that doesn't agree with me but this is just what I think when I compare Gen 1 to Gen 2. I enjoy Gen 2 a lot but just not as much as Gen 1.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Speaking of move tutors, it'd be real nice if they'd just bring back ALL the old ones for B/W2. The idea that if I want, say, a Body Slam Togekiss, I have to give it that move back in Gen III and then transfer it up is pretty nuts, and kinda pointlessly annoying.
Honestly, I wish they'd just erase any old-gen-only moves from any Pokemon you transfer forward. It would help stem the power-creep, and it means you wouldn't have to jump through so many hoops to get specific movesets.

Top Bottom