• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Suairyu

Banned
When I was a young boy I had this 'friend' who swore in Japan there was Pokémon black and you could pick any Pokémon you wanted as a starter. He knew this because his mate's older brother had been to Japan. I rolled my eyes, said he was stupid for believing, but my mother was there and told me I was being rude by doubting him.

Mothers just don't understand.

Younicorn

Neo Member
I suppose now that I've been recruited, there is where all the SERIOUS talk goes down.

I've seen many people who have Pokemon from multiple generations on their Black and White carts, was this done via HG and SS?

Currently I'm playing through HG, but am wondering where the cutoff is for the Pokemon I'll be missing.

I take it HG doesn't have the Pokemon from Ruby and Sapphire? Are those acquired via a Ruby and Sapphire cart, or can those too be caught in HG? Are they in B&W?

Opens HeartGold...

Anth0ny

When I was a young boy I had this 'friend' who swore in Japan there was Pokémon black and you could pick any Pokémon you wanted as a starter. He knew this because his mate's older brother had been to Japan. I rolled my eyes, said he was stupid for believing, but my mother was there and told me I was being rude by doubting him.

My parents were the opposite.

"But mooooooooom, Jimmy has the new Pokemon Stadium! I want it too!"

"No he doesn't. I just bought you a pack of cards. go to school."

=(

My parents were the opposite.

"But mooooooooom, Jimmy has the new Pokemon Stadium! I want it too!"

"No he doesn't. I just bought you a pack of cards. go to school."

=(

"Mom, could you buy me a back of Pokemon cards?"

"Ugh, fine, if it'll stop your whining."

*she gets me a pack of Yu-gi-oh cards*

"Here, now shut up."

DDDDDD:

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Currently I'm playing through HG, but am wondering where the cutoff is for the Pokemon I'll be missing.

You'll really only be missing some Sinnoh Pokemon, and you can get the vast majority of them in Platinum.

I take it HG doesn't have the Pokemon from Ruby and Sapphire? Are those acquired via a Ruby and Sapphire cart, or can those too be caught in HG? Are they in B&W?

They can almost all be caught in the Safari Zone. It's how I caught them since I didn't want to bother with Sapphire.

"Here, now shut up."

DDDDDD:

She did the right thing.

Well where I lived Pokemon cards had long been out of vogue when Yugioh hit the scene.

Good afternoon, gentlemen.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to get back to my 4th playthrough of SoulSilver using my awesome team:

Ambipom (Martin)
Scizor (Edward)
Typhlosion (Kain)
Starmie (Dr. Squeaks)
Skarmory (Sawyer)
and Mamoswine (Wallace)

frostbyte

"Here, now shut up."

DDDDDD:

Oh wow, did that really happen to you?

and yu-gi-oh cards are fine too... is no one else a fan of both?

Younicorn

Neo Member
You'll really only be missing some Sinnoh Pokemon, and you can get the vast majority of them in Platinum.

They can almost all be caught in the Safari Zone. It's how I caught them since I didn't want to bother with Sapphire.

She did the right thing.

Well where I lived Pokemon cards had long been out of vogue when Yugioh hit the scene.

Great - now I have no reason to take Heart Gold out of my 3DS... Until I get White, which could be any second now.

So excited to have something to play while lying in bed. Wife falls asleep - Pokemon time!

PK Gaming

Wow, we have the same exact childhood friend. Freaky coincidence.

Suairyu

Banned
Same here. Pokémon cards, like all things Pokémon, hit their height of popularity in the aftermath of the first film blasting the franchise into everyone's mindshare. Post the second film, Pokémon as a non-videogaming thing was receding very quickly.

Yu-Gi-Oh came out sometime after the third or fourth movie. I forget which.

Boogiepop

Haha, I was totally within the nerd group in middle-school when Yu-gi-oh rolled in, but I totally managed to turn into a net gain by convincing everyone to play "Battle City" betting rules. This of course meaning I got a ton of rare cards from people, as I had the best deck.

Anth0ny

Yugioh may have been worse than Pokemon when it came to douchebag playground trolls.

"My uncle works for Yugioh and I have all the cards! But I'm not allowed to bring them to school."

:mad:

Okay cool.

In anticipation of Pokemon Grey, I've been playing a romhack called Pokemon Volt White. It's pretty much a difficulty hack of White. Here's a quick summary:

More info here

I beat the Elite 4 last week, and this hack has been really fun so far. The difficulty is perfect. I really wish the actual games followed this kind of difficulty curve. Oh, and being able to catch every Pokemon in a single game is nice too. But don't expect that ever happening.

Give it a try if you want a time killer during the wait for B2/W2. I'm having a blast with the post game content (shit is MAD HARD).

Woah man woah. I've been looking at that hack for the past three days thinking of whether or not I should play it. I really want to, but the thing that I really enjoyed about B/W that catapulted it way ahead of DPPt (in terms of me liking them) was the whole "only able to catch gen v pokemon until you beat the elite 4" which really kept things fresh.

But if you really think it's worth it to play I may just give it a shot.

Suairyu

Banned
Yugioh may have been worse than Pokemon when it came to douchebag playground trolls.

"My uncle works for Yugioh and I have all the cards! But I'm not allowed to bring them to school."

:mad:
I'm so fucking happy my peers were too old for trading cards (minus Magic: The Gathering as that always gets a free pass) by the time Yu Gi Oh hit.

... I was really into the anime though.

Younicorn

Neo Member
Woah man woah. I've been looking at that hack for the past three days thinking of whether or not I should play it. I really want to, but the thing that I really enjoyed about B/W that catapulted it way ahead of DPPt (in terms of me liking them) was the whole "only able to catch gen v pokemon until you beat the elite 4" which really kept things fresh.

This may sound a bit harsh, please don't take it that way - but why play a hack when you can try and level up, EV train, improve your Pokemon that actually carry over, or just hunt for shinies?

I'm all for trying out something new, but it seems like I'd rather play a current version that I know will be compatible with all other versions in terms of moving my Pokemon over than a version that I'll just play and toss once a real version of the game comes out.

It may be a weird thought process I have, but I feel like there are so many possibilities that I'd rather play a retail version that I can continue playing and incorporating into newer versions?

Anth0ny

Being only able to catch Gen V Pokemon is a cool thing when playing through the game for the first time. It introduces you to the new Pokemon much more efficiently than Gens 2-4 did.

But on replays, being able to catch every Pokemon is awesome. You can also catch almost every non legendary early in the game, too. I had my 6 man team set in stone less than 4 badges in.

wild charmander weeeeee

This may sound a bit harsh, please don't take it that way - but why play a hack when you can try and level up, EV train, improve your Pokemon that actually carry over, or just hunt for shinies?

I'm all for trying out something new, but it seems like I'd rather play a current version that I know will be compatible with all other versions in terms of moving my Pokemon over than a version that I'll just play and toss once a real version of the game comes out.

It may be a weird thought process I have, but I feel like there are so many possibilities that I'd rather play a retail version that I can continue playing and incorporating into newer versions?

No no I totally understand where you're coming from, which is actually one of the reasons I'm hesitant to play this one.(if i ever saw a shiny in a hack i would die lol) However, the reason for hacks in general is usually because of a new story or new regions so it's a totally different experience, they're not necessarily just a difficulty increase.

Being only able to catch Gen V Pokemon is a cool thing when playing through the game for the first time. It introduces you to the new Pokemon much more efficiently than Gens 2-4 did.

But on replays, being able to catch every Pokemon is awesome. You can also catch almost every non legendary early in the game, too. I had my 6 man team set in stone less than 4 badges in.

wild charmander weeeeee

Yeah I guess it was sort of a first time only thing pertaining to only being able to catch new pokemon. But it kind of ties into what Younicorn said; if I'm going to actually make a team spanning all 5 gens and then presumably taking time to make my team exactly how I want, i'd want to transfer those pokemon over.

I'll still probably end up playing this hack though, or perhaps a difficulty hack of an earlier game, like Firered or something.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I remember I convinced two of my friends to give me $40 and $50 to order them a BEUD (or some other rare card, but I think it was BEUD) online. I was like swimming in the money, never had so much cash, but I would have done it for them had my mom not gotten involved and was like YOU CAN'T DO THIS for some reason. Always felt bad about that.

Thinking about it, I dunno if I ever returned their money.
KuGsj.gif
My mom took it and we never saw it again...

I remember when I was young, my "friend" asked if he could come over to my house, just so he could steal my rare Celebi card. I think that was when I gave up on Pokémon cards.

No one at my school actually played the Pokemon card game they just collected the cards.
It's funny though how every school really did have that one kid who apparently had a Charizard but just couldn't bring it to school.
YuGiOh was where it was at though in terms of battling.

Boogiepop

I totally got pressured into trading away my Charizard when I was a kid. The kid just kept offering a load of random crap and I was like "no, I don't want to," but then he eventually wore me down. Of course I immediately regretted it, but he refused to trade back. Still regret that, but I eventually managed to get my hands on another Charizard to get a complete set of the originals.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure one of my friends had a Chinese knock-off Winged Dragon of Ra that we discovered was a sticker when we were playing Yu-gi-oh.

One of my friends said that his mother, while in Japan, got him a 'rare card' of a supposedly brand new Pokemon that none of us had seen before. He gave some name to it (I can't remember, but it was definitely not its Japanese name) and he brought up the whole *relative at Nintendo* thing, but I think I ignored it.

The card?
Dfzs6.gif

Note that this was before GS came out, so none of us knew back then, really.

Unrelated to that, the same 'friend' stole my copy of Pokemon Blue. Never really saw him again after I left that school...

Are we allowed to discuss ROM hacks here?

Actually here's the other one I was looking at as well.

Pokemon Pure White/Pitch Black

FEATURES:

*Rated X for eXtremely hard!
Because let's face it, Pokemon was made with children in mind so it's made possible for a 6-year old to beat it. These hacks will prove difficult even for adult Pokemon fans. You can beat the real games simply by using your most powerful attacks, but that won't work in Pure White/Pitch Black. You'll have to rely on more advanced strategies like status effects, stat-lowering moves, and switching constantly to keep your team alive. A guide will be given to tell you how to beat the Gym Leaders/Elite 4, but their actual teams won't be revealed because that's for you to find out!

*Old Places, New Faces
Non-Unova Pokemon will be available to you as soon as you begin your adventure. This gives you more team options to face the upcoming challenges. Of course, you should expect your opponents to use non-Unova Pokemon as well.

*Gotta Catch 'Em All!
All 649 Pokemon will be available in this game without trading, transferring, or accessing the Dream World. This includes legendary Pokemon as well, although they will be especially tough to find. A list of Pokemon locations will be provided.

*The Solution to Evolution
Pokemon that used to evolve by trade have new evolution methods so you won't have to trade anymore. A list of new evolution methods will be provided.

*Trainer is about to send in..."something"?
By default in the real games, you'll always be told what your opponent will send in which gives you a chance to easily counter your opponent's next Pokemon. In these games, the trainer's Pokemon name has been replaced with the word "something" which means you'll never know what your opponent will send in next!

*Smugleaf just got Smugger
The truth is, starting with a Snivy gives you a disadvantage since this game is especially tough on Grass-types. To make up for this, the Snivy line now evolves much quicker than the other two starters. In addition, it also learns two new moves - Earth Power instead of Wring Out and Dragon Pulse instead of Gastro Acid. If for some reason, you still want Wring Out and Gastro Acid, you can always learn them as a Servine.

*Pseudo Tutors
The reason a lot of Unova Pokemon don't learn many good moves is because the huge list of tutor moves from 3rd and 4th gens are missing. To slightly make up for this, some Pokemon now learn a "tutor" move by level up. For instance, Unfezant gets Superpower, Lilligant and Vanilluxe get Earth Power, and Klinklang gets Zen Headbutt.

*Doctors? More like Murderers!
Doctors will always heal your Pokemon to full health...if you can beat them! But they'll always engage in triple or rotation battles and have extremely powerful Pokemon with extremely powerful moves. They may be even tougher than Gym Leaders! Don't expect to win against them the first time. However they are completely optional, just like in the real games.
Nurses on the other hand, are very easy to beat and use Audinos, Chanseys, and Blisseys which are great for EXP.

*Maybe you'll actually Read this time.
Regular trainers in the real games never have anything to say other than a few generic lines. In these games, some trainers here and there will have a bit more interesting dialog. Expect to hear references to pop culture, world events, internet memes, innuendos, and maybe even a few things not appropriate for a Pokemon game!

*Gender Bender
Major trainers you'll meet in the game will have their genders switched, so males will become females and females will become males. Their overworld sprites, VS sprites, and battle sprites will be edited to reflect this change. This keeps the game fresh even when you're not battling or catching Pokemon.

*WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT GETS HARDER?!?
Don't expect the challenges to end once you've beaten the main storyline. Besides the rematches against the Elite 4 and your Rivals, there are more difficult battles in store for you. Can you beat the Riches family, who are even tougher than the Elite 4? Or how about clearing Challenger's Cave, where everything is at Level 100 (even the wild Pokemon!). Don't even think about beating Morimoto the first time!

A Dream Come True!
Now you can get Pokemon with Dream World abilities without actually having to access Dream World. All the best abilities have been added to Pokemon who need them such as Drizzle Politoed, Drought Ninetales, and Speed Boost Blaziken.

What a Steal!
Time to put Thief and Covet to good use. Many wild Pokemon will be holding items that are rare or completely unavailable in the regular games. This include Berries mostly, but also expensive or hard-to-get items such as Vitamins, Rare Candies, and Battle Subway prizes.

Link

QP3

Still plugging away through heart gold and loving it...plus I caught the red gyarados

I had a few questions though...

What are the biggest benefits to breeding? Are the offspring strainer than normal? Any tips/pointers for a breeding newb? Thanks!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Still plugging away through heart gold and loving it...plus I caught the red gyarados

I had a few questions though...

What are the biggest benefits to breeding? Are the offspring strainer than normal? Any tips/pointers for a breeding newb? Thanks!

Bred Pokemon are initially stronger because since they start battling and leveling up earlier, they gain more Effort Values. I won't blow your mind with what all that's about, but basically Pokemon get some extra strength if they win in battle (as opposed to stuffing them with rare candy.) Like I said, since bred Pokemon usually start battling at a lower level, they earn more of this strength quicker. However, there is a limit, and usually if you've leveled a Pokemon for 10-15 levels it should have its Effort Values maxed out.

As for breeding tips, here's a couple starters:

1. Any Pokemon can breed with a Ditto, and the resulting egg will be the same species as the non-Ditto parent.

2. There are egg groups. These allow any two Pokemon in that egg group to produce an egg together even if they're not the same species, e.g. Raticate and Vuplix.

3. "Baby Pokemon" (Pichu, Igglybuff, Munchlax, etc.) can't breed. Neither can genderless Pokemon (except for Ditto) like most legendaries.

4. Speaking of, to get those baby Pokemon, most of the time you usually have to make sure the parent is holding some kind of incense. Otherwise, say for Sudowoodo, you'll always get a Sudowoodo egg instead of a Bonsly one if the Sudowoodo parent isn't holding a Rock Incense.

5. When breeding two Pokemon of different species, the resulting species of the egg will always be that of the mother. (You can't breed with two Pokemon of the same gender.)

6. Some Pokemon take longer to hatch than others (particularly the rarer Pokemon.) To help with this, if you have a Pokemon that has the Flame Body or Magma Armor (for instance, Magmar) ability in your party while you walk around with the egg, that egg's hatch time will cut in half. (Hatch time is measured in steps, not actual time.)
That's the basics, there's more advanced techniques for passing down stats, abilities and natures but you don't need to worry about that yet.

QP3

Bred Pokemon are initially stronger because since they start battling and leveling up earlier, they gain more Effort Values. I won't blow your mind with what all that's about, but basically Pokemon get some extra strength if they win in battle (as opposed to stuffing them with rare candy.) Like I said, since bred Pokemon usually start battling at a lower level, they earn more of this strength quicker. However, there is a limit, and usually if you've leveled a Pokemon for 10-15 levels it should have its Effort Values maxed out.

As for breeding tips, here's a couple starters:

1. Any Pokemon can breed with a Ditto, and the resulting egg will be the same species as the non-Ditto parent.

2. There are egg groups. These allow any two Pokemon in that egg group to produce an egg together even if they're not the same species, e.g. Raticate and Vuplix.

3. "Baby Pokemon" (Pichu, Igglybuff, Munchlax, etc.) can't breed. Neither can genderless Pokemon (except for Ditto) like most legendaries.

4. Speaking of, to get those baby Pokemon, most of the time you usually have to make sure the parent is holding some kind of incense. Otherwise, say for Sudowoodo, you'll always get a Sudowoodo egg instead of a Bonsly one if the Sudowoodo parent isn't holding a Rock Incense.

5. When breeding two Pokemon of different species, the resulting species of the egg will always be that of the mother. (You can't breed with two Pokemon of the same gender.)

6. Some Pokemon take longer to hatch than others (particularly the rarer Pokemon.) To help with this, if you have a Pokemon that has the Flame Body or Magma Armor (for instance, Magmar) ability in your party while you walk around with the egg, that egg's hatch time will cut in half. (Hatch time is measured in steps, not actual time.)
That's the basics, there's more advanced techniques for passing down stats, abilities and natures but you don't need to worry about that yet.

Very helpful, thanks a lot!

So it seems Ditto's are useful, as I can then just stick any pokemon with them to breed, yes??

In other words, are the some pokemon that can only be had by breeding to different pokemon?

or are there any benefits to not simply throwing a pokemon that I want in with a Ditto?

So it seems Ditto's are useful, as I can then just stick any pokemon with them to breed, yes??

In other words, are the some pokemon that can only be had by breeding to different pokemon?

or are there any benefits to not simply throwing a pokemon that I want in with a Ditto?

Well, no egg moves, for one, and I think it's harder to control the baby's nature when using a Ditto.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Another thing to be careful of is if you leave a Pokemon at the Daycare too long, they may overwrite some moves. If it's a learned move I think the Move Relearner will be able to bring it back for you, but I don't think they can bring back egg moves unfortunately. (More on egg moves below.)

Yes. Except for babies, genderless Pokemon/legendaries, and other Ditto.

Not that I know of but I'm not sure I understand the question. Baby Pokemon usually aren't found in the wild and thus have to be bred (or traded for), and the only way to get a Pokemon like Phione is through breeding (or trading.)

Edit- Thought it was a general question on breeding. There's no real downsides but there's no real upside either, except for possibly getting a Pokemon that has better base stats and the nature/ability you want.

Well, an upside to breeding is egg moves. Like for instance Ekans can't learn Sucker Punch normally, but if you breed it with a Raticate that knows Sucker Punch then the egg Pokemon will have it. It can actually get somewhat complex, with some of the more involved setups requiring chain breeding to get a specific movie. But this is only really useful in competitive multiplayer.

Breeding specifically with a Ditto isn't any different than breeding with another Pokemon, except for egg moves.

Well, no egg moves, for one, and I think it's harder to control the baby's nature when using a Ditto.

Right yeah, egg moves are the only instance I wouldn't use my Ditto to breed.

It's actually a bit easier to control natures (by using an Everstone.) (Than trying to catch one with a specific nature, I mean.)

D-Pad

Oh wow, did that really happen to you?

and yu-gi-oh cards are fine too... is no one else a fan of both?

Right here! Of course I had no one to play them with. Even though my brother and sister collected them as well, they never liked playing by the rules. We ended up having imaginary Pokemon/Yu-Gi-Oh battles instead. :\

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Well whatever, you know what I meant. :p

I doubt they're making new art of it after all this time.

Emitan

If it wasn't for my friend trading me his shiny Graveler, I wouldn't believe shinies exist. They're a hoax by Nintendo to keep us playing for years and years between games.

Robin64

A long time ago, I took the Pokémon I gathered in Pokémon Coliseum and Pokémon Box and transferred them into Sapphire via the GBA Link Cable. Later, using two GBAs, I began the long process of trading them over to Fire Red. Next came the transfer to Diamond, which took a while given the limits. Diamond then went to Platinum via another DS and then Platinum ones were traded to Soul Silver. Later still, I sat through the horrible process of transferring them all to White and using the horrendous catching minigame. What were they thinking?

Anyway, wall-o'-text, but my points are thus:

a) Please make the transfer process less painful!
b) Please continue to let me transferring! I really hope GenVI isn't locked off from the rest..

Edit: On the topic of shinies, well... I've sunk hundreds hours into each generation thus far and I've never even seen one. My shinies consist of the red Gyarados, the Pichu event one and the Eevee event one. Sigh.

Milly79

So, if I played original G/S should I even bother picking up the remake or should I try out B/W? Really don't want to wait for B/W2.

Jheromes

Neo Member
The remake (to me) was a huge difference with the original G/S. I would almost say it's the definitive Pokémon game and feels the most complete. Definitely worth picking up for nostalgic reasons and overall charm, which B/W kinda lack in my opinion.

B/W does offer a whole new bunch of fresh Pokémon, has a better storyline and great (or better) online capabilities and feels like a small revolution of the gameplay.

I actually would recommend both, but HeartGold/SoulSilver before Black/White.

I'm currently replaying HeartGold and rocking a team with:
Togetic
Spr_4h_176.png
Quilava
Spr_4h_156.png
Heracross
Spr_4h_214_m.png

and having a great time again!

Wiseblade

So, if I played original G/S should I even bother picking up the remake or should I try out B/W? Really don't want to wait for B/W2.

Depends how much you like G/S. If you just want to go through that again, except better, then pick up HG/SS. B/W is a fresher experience, with the first story worth mentioning in the whole franchise. I'd recommend B/W especially since B/W2 is more a sequel than a remix, but you can't go wrong with either.

I would almost say it's the definitive Pokémon game and feels the most complete. Definitely worth picking up for nostalgic reasons and overall charm, which B/W kinda lack in my opinion.

iblmEf4pc7ODJn.gif

Most complete? Kanto might not be totally gutted like it was in G/S, but Johto is still the smallest region by a country mile and easily the dullest.

You know, I heard a rumor a while back that Mew's name was actually an acronym; a sort of Nintendo in-joke. Although I'm quite sure that's not true, I've always wondered what it could stand for.

Many Energetic Whales?

Morpheus Eats Waffles?

Most Entertaining Walrus?

Mary Elizabeth Winstead?

Top Bottom