• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

OMG Aero

Just watched this week's episode of the cartoon, fuck Team Rocket/Plasma/Galactic/whatever, Cryogonal Man is now the best Pokemon villain.
8kDtP.jpg
iVYHx.jpg

His evil plan is to steal all the ice cream in Unova so he can feed it to wild ice Pokemon to get them to join him. Also he doesn't even have a Cryogonal because he isn't strong enough to catch one.

We're all behind ya guys :)
Just watched this week's episode of the cartoon, fuck Team Rocket/Plasma/Galactic/whatever, Cryogonal Man is now the best Pokemon villain.
8kDtP.jpg
iVYHx.jpg

His evil plan is to steal all the ice cream in Unova so he can feed it to wild ice Pokemon to get them to join him. Also he doesn't even have a Cryogonal because he isn't strong enough to catch one.
That is the best thing ever
Been listening to this for the last half hour. What's it with sidegames and cool music?

Also he doesn't even have a Cryogonal because he isn't strong enough to catch one.

Ever since I watched the Jap version of this episode, this has always bamboozled me. How can you fail to catch a Pokémon with like, 30 base Defense? You could speak firmly to it and it would fall to pieces.

Ever since I watched the Jap version of this episode, this has always bamboozled me. How can you fail to catch a Pokémon with like, 30 base Defense? You could speak firmly to it and it would fall to pieces.

You cannot catch those that have fainted! (for some reason)
Though I guess this logic doesn't apply to the anime where beating the pokemon to death's door seems to be the best approach.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
More like he couldn't find one.

Cryogonal has, like, 1% appearance rate outside of winter where it goes up to 5%. His catch rate is also one of the lowest, down there right before Volcarona and the Legendaries.

The colours are a tad bit too saturated and the shading is a bit worse than Yellow, I agree. On a GBC screen they'd look different though. The colouring part obviously.

Edit: Just for shits and giggles, evolution of Arcanine, the best fire dog.

059.png
059.png
059.png

059.png
059.png
059.gif

059.png
059.png
059.png
059.gif

059.png
059.png

059.gif
Excellent choice. How come nobody told me you're so cool?

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad

Busaiku

8kDtP.jpg
iVYHx.jpg

Seriously, he is amazing.

More like he couldn't find one.

Cryogonal has, like, 1% appearance rate outside of winter where it goes up to 5%. His catch rate is also one of the lowest, down there right before Volcarona and the Legendaries.
I don't know if it actually helped, but I led my party with a level 31 Pokémon and used Super Repels to find Cryogonal. Cubchoo is the only other level 31 in Winter, so that cuts out any chance of Woobat, Boldore, or Gurrdurr random encounters. I found Cryogonal after only four or five tries, so I think my method helped!

Brother? ;_;
<3

I just wanna say how under appreciated the music that plays right before you fight cynthia is. It's beautiful and right up there with the scherzo from Bioshock's aka Cohen's masterpiece.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
I just wanna say how under appreciated the music that plays right before you fight cynthia is. It's beautiful and right up there with the scherzo from Bioshock's aka Cohen's masterpiece.

So I've heard, I bought Platinum even though I have Pearl just to relish in the atmosphere again and catch that centipede thing on the cover, so I'll definitely be on the lookout for the music.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Apparently Movie 15 merchandise is still advertising a New Pokemon, even thought most people thought it was simply Meloetta's Pirouette Form. It's apparently going to be in CoroCoro next month.

The most prominent speculation I've seen is...

A) They're already revealing Genesect, as he'll possibly have a presence in Black 2 and White 2. I know a lot of people think Akuroma has involvement in his creation.
B) My speculation that it's a new Cryogonal Form (the dude needs some love), due to his involvement in Movie 15, and the "Attract" issue.
C) A new Eeveelution, since he's being hyped up to be included in B2/W2, and there's a new Eevee merchandise set coming out around June.
D) First Gen VI Pokemon, could be included in B2/W2 like Munchlax and Bonsly were in XD (as a cameo and "guest" Pokemon in a rental battle mode)

Apparently Movie 15 merchandise is still advertising a New Pokemon, even thought most people thought it was simply Meloetta's Pirouette Form. It's apparently going to be in CoroCoro next month.

A) They're already revealing Genesect, as he'll possibly have a presence in Black 2 and White 2. I know a lot of people think Akuroma has involvement in his creation.
B) My speculation that it's a new Cryogonal Form (the dude needs some love), due to his involvement in Movie 15, and the "Attract" issue.
C) A new Eeveelution, since he's being hyped up to be included in B2/W2, and there's a new Eevee merchandise set coming out around June.
D) First Gen VI Pokemon, could be included in B2/W2 like Munchlax and Bonsly were in XD (as a cameo and "guest" Pokemon in a rental battle mode)

Any of these would be fine with me.

A) With the last Gen V 'mon out of the way, GF would be free to reveal Gen VI details.
B) Poor guy needs some love. His dismal Defense is making people give him the cold shoulder (*ba-dum tish!*)
C) New Eeveelution, woo!
D) Gen VI, woo!

Gravijah

wouldn't a new eeveelution technically be a gen vi pokemon?

though, if you put gen vi pokemon in a mainline gen v game... doesn't that technically make them gen v?

I've been rereading the Iwata Asks on Pokemon HGSS and BW but I'm looking for something more in-depth. Anybody have a good article on the development side of Pokemon, preferably the older titles?

I've been rereading the Iwata Asks on Pokemon HGSS and BW but I'm looking for something more in-depth. Anybody have a good article on the development side of Pokemon, preferably the older titles?
Well, you can start with this:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/nom/0007/gfreak/index.html (Japanese)
http://www.glitterberri.com/pokemon-red-blue/ (Translated)
Small interview concerning Red/Green development, among other things. Speakers are:
Jun'ichi Masuda
Tetsuya Watanabe
Ken Sugimori
Kouji Nishino
Shigeki Morimoto

It's gotta be Genesect, surely. Cryogonal can't have a new forme (the placeholder data doesn't exist in Black and White in the same way it does for Kyurem), I doubt they'll introduce a new Eeveelution completely separate to everything else, and revealing a new Gen VI Pokemon for a movie releasing a week before Black and White 2 go on sale makes not a damn lick of sense,

Sagitario

It's gotta be Genesect, surely. Cryogonal can't have a new forme (the placeholder data doesn't exist in Black and White in the same way it does for Kyurem)

I hope it's Genesect... I want to know what the hell was GameFreak thinking when they designed that thing.

What Kyurem placeholder data?

I hope it's Genesect... I want to know what the hell was GameFreak thinking when they designed that thing.

What Kyurem placeholder data?

Basically, every Pokemon in Black and White has a set of numerical values attributed to it, for the purpose of calling up sprites, movesets and the like. One of these values is the number of formes the Pokemon has. The vast majority of Pokemon have one, with the exceptions being the likes of Deoxys, Rotom etc. Now, obviously Kyurem's formes weren't revealed at the time of Black and White's release, and were not programmed into the game. However, a system has to be put in place to ensure backwards compatibility, so any stat changes Kyurem's formes have aren't automatically reverted. As a result, the value for the formes data for Kyurem was put in as zero, as was the case with Giratina and Shaymin in Diamond and Pearl. This was one of the main hints that we had that Kyurem had formes, along with the existence of Freeze Shock and Ice Burn. Cryogonal's number is one, so there's no scope for another forme.

The presence of Attract is just a fumble, not a clue.

Gravijah

Basically, every Pokemon in Black and White has a set of numerical values attributed to it, for the purpose of calling up sprites, movesets and the like. One of these values is the number of formes the Pokemon has. The vast majority of Pokemon have one, with the exceptions being the likes of Deoxys, Rotom etc. Now, obviously Kyurem's formes weren't revealed at the time of Black and White's release, and were not programmed into the game. However, a system has to be put in place to ensure backwards compatibility, so any stat changes Kyurem's formes have aren't automatically reverted. As a result, the value for the formes data for Kyurem was put in as zero, as was the case with Giratina and Shaymin in Diamond and Pearl. This was one of the main hints that we had that Kyurem had formes, along with the existence of Freeze Shock and Ice Burn. Cryogonal's number is one, so there's no scope for another forme.

The presence of Attract is just a fumble, not a clue.

i can't remember, did rotom have placeholder data in diamond/pearl?

Top Bottom