• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

I still don't get why Psychics are weak to Bugs.
It's so weird.

The minds of bugs are too small and puny to gain control over, or maybe it's because some people lose their minds when confronted with wasps and spiders, can't harness that psychic mind power when being deathly afraid of buzzing noises. Okay so I don't have an actual answer to this conundrum.

Wiseblade

The minds of bugs are too small and puny to gain control over, or maybe it's because some people lose their minds when confronted with wasps and spiders, can't harness that psychic mind power when being deathly afraid of buzzing noises. Okay so I don't have an actual answer to this conundrum.

The sound of a bug's wings are the the exact frequency to turn a Psychic type Pokémon's brain to mush.

I still don't get why Psychics are weak to Bugs.
It's so weird.

Psychic's weakness are the three most common irrational phobias: fear of the dark, fear of insects, and fear of ghosts/the supernatural. All three cause psychics to lose their concentration and become vulnerable.

The REAL question is why Dark is weak to Bug and Fighting. What's up with that?

Psychic's weakness are the three most common irrational phobias: fear of the dark, fear of insects, and fear of ghosts/the supernatural. All three cause psychics to lose their concentration and become vulnerable.

The REAL question is why Dark is weak to Bug and Fighting. What's up with that?

Insects are capable of seeing through the darkness with their various senses like antennae...stuff.

Fighting types, well if we consider Dark types to embody fear consider that a fighting type is more than willing to face fear and kick it hard in the face, this logic doesn't apply to ghosts since said kicks just go through them.

Fighting types, well if we consider Dark types to embody fear consider that a fighting type is more than willing to face fear and kick it hard in the face, this logic doesn't apply to ghosts since said kicks just go through them.

Steve Austin has proved this already:

1LmkR.jpg

Insects are capable of seeing through the darkness with their various senses like antennae...stuff.

Okay, well then riddle me this, Owlman:

Why is Fighting weak to Flying? If a "Normal" person can take down an aerial foe easily, why can't a trained Fighter?

Wiseblade

Dark Types are all about fighting dirty. Ganging up on people (beat up), sucker punches (Sucker Punch), throwing stuff (Fling), stealing the opponent's items(snatch)... But none of that stuff really works against a disciplined martial artist.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
If you're getting raped by an eagle, chances of you grabbing it are slim, and it has the higher ground advantage... Then again, it can fly, unless Hitmonchan is Kakashi and can bounce off trees at high speeds in a manner as to propel himself into the air, it won't happen.

Fighting types are weak to psychic because the whole 'brain over brawn' thing.

I think there's some people out there and that have nailed both down, them being the philosophical martial artists like Bruce Lee, and there's even some Pokémon who are both Psychic and Fighting, if I'm not mistaken.

I'd equate a psychic pokémon to a psychiatrist who is mindfucking you, and eliminating what confidence you had prior to having sessions.

I can't remember if Alakazam used to meditate, all Zen and put distrations aside, but I do remember he used to CONCENTRATE, and what breaks concentration? Distractions, like buzzing bugs.

If Alakazam and the other Psychic Pokémon were more Zen, this wouldn't happen.

Why does Poison type suck?

Because it SUCKs the life out of your Poketto Monsettu.

I tend to think that most of the type matchups (exceptions being obvious ones like Water beats Fire, Electric beats Water etc.) are just game mechanics and wouldn't have much relevance in a "real" Pokemon world. It's sort of like levels, just a formula made up by the game designers to even out the playing field.

In fact, the concept that in every game you play a 10 year old kid who rises through the ranks, beats out veteran trainers like Agatha and becomes Pokemon League champion in like a week is pretty unrealistic, so whatever.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
I tend to think that most of the type matchups (exceptions being obvious ones like Water beats Fire, Electric beats Water etc.) are just game mechanics and wouldn't have much relevance in a "real" Pokemon world. It's sort of like levels, just a formula made up by the game designers to even out the playing field.

In fact, the concept that in every game you play a 10 year old kid who rises through the ranks, beats out veteran trainers like Agatha and becomes Pokemon League champion in like a week is pretty unrealistic, so whatever.

No, no, YOU are the brains behind the operation, you possessed that 10 year-old vessel.
You beat Agatha, and the pokémon league.

Magnus

Because Fight or Flight.

I'm....stunned at how readily I'm accepting all of these explanations for type weaknesses that I never used to be able to rationalize.

Well done folks, lol.

Steve Austin has proved this already
Beer drink to be a new stat upping move in 6th gen, boosts all stats for 3 turns but then you get confused and lose the stat ups, oh hell yeah!

Okay, well then riddle me this, Owlman:

Why is Fighting weak to Flying? If a "Normal" person can take down an aerial foe easily, why can't a trained Fighter?
I cannot ignore such a direct challenge even hours later! Logically something that flies would easily be able to move out of reach of striking moves, fighting is somehow weaker than normal types because their moves require pinpoint precision for maximum effect which they cannont attain on those swift flying fellows.

Also considered why fighting moves are weak on bugs, i'm remembering how trying to strike down a pesky fly with my own hands is oddly ineffective compared to clapping it or going for the newspaper.

Dark Types are all about fighting dirty. Ganging up on people (beat up), sucker punches (Sucker Punch), throwing stuff (Fling), stealing the opponent's items(snatch)... But none of that stuff really works against a disciplined martial artist.
This works better than my idea, I like it!

Wiseblade

I cannot ignore such a direct challenge even hours later! Logically something that flies would easily be able to move out of reach of striking moves, fighting is somehow weaker than normal types because their moves require pinpoint precision for maximum effect which they cannont attain on those swift flying fellows.

comic163b.png

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
You guys are arguing about the wrong type. Poison, as a secondary defensive typing can help quite a bit. It has key resist in Grass, Fighting and Bug (lol, Heracross), giving it the ability to check a lot of Pokemon. You just don't want to be pure Poison typing because your STAB attacks would be terrible.

But the type that really needs to be improved is Ice. So many Ice Pokemon are built defensively.. but Ice only resist itself. On top of that, it has so many common weaknesses that it's tough to find Pokemon not carrying some sort of Super Effective move against it. What should be done is Ice should resist Water.. and most importantly Dragon. If Ice were the second Dragon resisting type, they would make much better checks to them and threaten with their nice offensive STAB. And that's another thing. It seems every special type Pokemon receives Ice Beam, or something similar, which means you don't have to run an Ice type Pokemon for your Ice type move which has awesome coverage.

Ultratech

But the type that really needs to be improved is Ice. So many Ice Pokemon are built defensively.. but Ice only resist itself. On top of that, it has so many common weaknesses that it's tough to find Pokemon not carrying some sort of Super Effective move against it. What should be done is Ice should resist Water.. and most importantly Dragon. If Ice were the second Dragon resisting type, they would make much better checks to them and threaten with their nice offensive STAB. And that's another thing. It seems every special type Pokemon receives Ice Beam, or something similar, which means you don't have to run an Ice type Pokemon for your Ice type move which has awesome coverage.

If we're going by real-life comparisons, Ice should technically be weak to Water. (Water can melt/break down Ice back into liquid.)

Resistance to Dragon would be kinda nice and reinforce the whole "Dragon-killer" thing they got going for 'em. (That and the only other thing that actually resists Dragon is Steel...)

Busaiku

Man, I remember when I was destroying everything with Articuno back in Red.
Everything died to Ice Beam and Blizzard (which never missed for me).

Also considered why fighting moves are weak on bugs, i'm remembering how trying to strike down a pesky fly with my own hands is oddly ineffective compared to clapping it or going for the newspaper

I know how that works from experience. A black belt in karate means nothing when faced by a group of angry seagulls... (long story)

You win this round, Owlman, but it's on to round two!

Why is Grass supereffective against water? And don't give me any of this "it floats" crap; ducks
and very small rocks
float on water and yet Flying only does neutral damage.

upandaway

Water makes plants grow/ Grass absorbs water? But plants can also die from too much water right?
There's no "too much" water. Think of every element as a 10x stronger when Pokemon use it. A Magikarp can use water with enough force to be normal effective on Steel, so it makes sense than an Oddish can take a lot of water without drowning.

I did something today that I didn't need to do, but have been promising myself that I'd do for 7 years, at the first available opportunity. It was pointless, and a waste of money, but I'm really happy with my purchase.

That's right, I bought a copy of Destiny Deoxys on UK DVD.

SO HAPPY :)

Top Bottom