• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 3| "No Officer, I'm a Passenger"

Makarov Cubone

Neo Member
This is ridiculous. What the fuck are they waiting for? Has the San Francisco tracker even changed at all since it was rolled out in late summer? If not, what's the reason for not rolling it out further? What are they even testing for at this point?

That's always just been a Looking Busy tracker to get people off their backs. I don't think there was ever any intent for it to have a wide release, since it's not all that different from the scanners they're fervently against, but with the added fault that it's reliant on Pokestops, and I think they might have just enough self-awareness to anticipate their inability to sway people from places that aren't as Pokestop-dense as Niantic HQ away from scanners with a similar system of inferior utility. Unfortunately for everyone, they got preoccupied with fucking with scanners instead of working on their own game and making a tracker in the patience window it bought them, and then bugs were introduced in the recent patches that make even triangulating an unreliable mess.

If they're waiting for something before doing the things that their game needs, it's looking a lot like they're waiting for their userbase to self-cull to a certain target population.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Farmed a bunch of evolution fodder today, so I could do a lucky egg and do some long awaited evolutions. One is good, the others are disappointing.

Nidoking has Poison Jab and Earthquake. He was at 87%, so I powered him up a bunch.
Vileplume has Acid and Petal Blizzard :(
Victreebell has Acid and Leaf Blade :(
Took so long to get a) a good base mon and b) the required candies, so disappointed both turned out shit.
On the other hand, I now have 2 Parasects with Solar Beam, what a cruel joke.

I'm 2 candies away from Exeggutor, I pray to the rng gods I get solor beam on him.

I was tired of waiting for the perfect Poliwag to come along, so I evolved my 82%, and got mud shot and hydropump. Hydropump alone makes this one worth keeping right?

Dex is at 127 now.

And finally I evolved a bunch of 'strong' eevees, one with 71% turned out a Vaporeon with hydro pump, so keeping that one.

Firemind

- Nidoking is a terrible defender so no reason to power it up.
- Parasect with Solar Beam is a fantastic trainer against water types.
- Poliwrath only needs Bubble. Special attack doesn't really matter.
- 71% vape means its cp takes a bit of a hit so i wouldn't really power it up to be a defender. Good gym trainer though.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
- Nidoking is a terrible defender so no reason to power it up.
- Parasect with Solar Beam is a fantastic trainer against water types.
- Poliwrath only needs Bubble. Special attack doesn't really matter.
- 71% vape means its cp takes a bit of a hit so i wouldn't really power it up to be a defender. Good gym trainer though.

Why is bubble so important? Fast attack speed?

Anyway, with today's entries included the 130 is near. Still missing

Venusaur/Charizard/Blastoise
Sandslash
Alakazam
Machamp
Golem
Dodrio
Marowak
Pinsir
Hitmonlee
Gyarados
Kabuto/Kabutops

Golem is my next target since it's doable with walking. I know of some cities that have nests for certain types, but Machamp and Alakazam are going to be a problem, and I hope to get Kabuto/Hitmonlee out of a 10 km egg at some point, but no luck yet so far.

Vipu

Banned
Why is bubble so important? Fast attack speed?

Anyway, with today's entries included the 130 is near. Still missing

Venusaur/Charizard/Blastoise
Sandslash
Alakazam
Machamp
Golem
Dodrio
Marowak
Pinsir
Hitmonlee
Gyarados
Kabuto/Kabutops

Golem is my next target since it's doable with walking. I know of some cities that have nests for certain types, but Machamp and Alakazam are going to be a problem, and I hope to get Kabuto/Hitmonlee out of a 10 km egg at some point, but no luck yet so far.

Bubble is good because it have long animation and since defenders always attack with same speed that slow attack doesnt effect it.
In short, lots of dmg and harder to dodge(?)

Still poli have low cp so its not so amazing in gyms.

Firemind

Poliwrath has comparable cp to Blastoise and Slowbro and, unlike Gyarados, hits like a truck. Seriously, Poliwrath with Bubble is impossible to train, which can be a curse for your fellow teammates.

poliwrath with bubble and submission is one of the gods of the gym, right next to ice shard/blizzard Lapras, zen headbutt/body slam snorlax, and steel wing/Dragon pulse Dragonite.

I can only assume they haven't released their tracking update because they're still not happy with how it works.

Wish they'd go back to the original footprint tracking system. It was so damn fun. There's nowhere near as many people still playing when they claimed server load was too high plus that complicating things.

Plus, even if many came back with it once again, I doubt it'd be anywhere near as much. Plus colder weather is approaching in the US.

Replicant

Almost got all 142 except for Machamp, which I can technically evolve now but I'm waiting to get another good Machop to the one that I have just in case this one turns shit, at least I have a consolation prize. Damn that guy who went to US and got a Tauros and had it on one of the gyms here though. It'll have been fine if the other unavailable regional pokes are showing but as it is now it looks weird.

N9Dyrsv.png

Almost got all 142 except for Machamp, which I can technically evolve now but I'm waiting to get another good Machop to the one that I have just in case this one turns shit, at least I have a consolation prize. Damn that guy who went to US and got a Tauros and had it on one of the gyms here though. It'll have been fine if the other unavailable regional pokes are showing but as it is now it looks weird.

*wink wink*

Someone had a Kangaskhan in one of my nearby Gyms about a month ago, but haven't seen it since. Glad it was before it added it to the Seen records. ;o

Despite all of the BS, it still feels amazing to get the best offensive moveset on your Pokemon. The vast majority of Pokemon will not be used defensively, so attacking moves are the most desirable to me.

I didn't play today, but I evolved a Pikachu with 14 ATK, 15 DEF, 14 STA. The Raichu learned Spark and Thunder!

Lionheart

So, I haven't been keeping up with this game fully, but at launch it was claimed that all region specific Pokémon could be hatched from eggs in the other regions. I've never seen confirmation of this and nobody near me has ever hatched a Pokémon from another region. So what's the word on that?

Also, another rumor from the launch period that I've never occurred or heard of later: is it possible to obtain egg incubators from a Pokéstop?

Thanks!

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
So, I haven't been keeping up with this game fully, but at launch it was claimed that all region specific Pokémon could be hatched from eggs in the other regions. I've never seen confirmation of this and nobody near me has ever hatched a Pokémon from another region. So what's the word on that?

Also, another rumor from the launch period that I've never occurred or heard of later: is it possible to obtain egg incubators from a Pokéstop?

Thanks!

You can't hatch regio specific Pokémon (outside of your own of course), and you can't get incubators from stops.

jariw

No, that doesn't happen.

But there was an interview in July where Hanke said "You will see new Pokémon come into the game around special events at certain times in certain parts of the world."

Perhaps there will be a time (like at Christmas) where it's possible to catch the region-specific Pokemons?

Incubators are rewarded at different level ups only, or from the shop, IIRC it's at level 10-20-30.

Joni

No, that doesn't happen.

But there was an interview in July where Hanke said "You will see new Pokémon come into the game around special events at certain times in certain parts of the world."

Perhaps there will be a time (like at Christmas) where it's possible to catch the region-specific Pokemons?

Incubators are rewarded at different level ups only, or from the shop, IIRC it's at level 10-20-30.

Probably legendaries.

zulux21

I still don't get how we haven't had any events yet.

im not even talking big events like legendaries.

how do you not have

"grass week" grass pokemon are 25% more likely to spawn this week.

heck I don't know why they are changing nests unannounced instead of making them events.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

how do you not have

heck I don't know why they are changing nests unannounced instead of making them events.

Seriously. Even theme weeks like that that would get people to start up the game again.

jotun?

Bubble is good because it have long animation and since defenders always attack with same speed that slow attack doesnt effect it.
In short, lots of dmg and harder to dodge(?)

Not entirely accurate. The speed of the attack does matter, but the AI adds ~2 seconds of additional delay between each attack. Fast moves get hurt a lot more by this than slow moves

For example, water gun is normally 0.5 seconds and 6 damage for a total of 12 DPS. But when the AI uses it, it becomes 2.5 seconds and still 6 damage for only 2.4 DPS

Bubble is normally 2.3 seconds and 25 damage for 10.9 DPS. When the AI uses it, it's 4.3 seconds and 25 damage for 5.8 DPS. That's by far the highest for a defensive move, with the next closest being Steel Wing at 4.5

I suspect that the nests changing is really just a side effect of any change they make to the spawning algorithms, not something they do deliberately

GulAtiCa

Really wish they add events and such. Even simple X type increased or Y Pokemon increased sightings.

Also, now about 21 candies left till my Charizard. I'll keep walking for some more candy a little bit to level it up if the move set is any good. Either way, afterwards the only Pokemon I need to evolve is Machop. Just need 10 of those, but I want to make that more of a surprise, so I'll just wait till I hatch him in another 5k. So I'll likely do a Dratini, so I can get my next Dragonite a little easier & level it up.

AdanVC

how do you not have

Really wish they add events and such. Even simple X type increased or Y Pokemon increased sightings.

Yessss omfg. Water type pokemon here on my city are VERY rare. I could literally run 1 km as fast as I can just to catch a Squirtle. Water Week or stuff like that would be extremely helpful. Just as an example, been playing since july and I have only catched one single Squirtle. I still don't have a seel, I only have 2 horseas and only 1 goldeen... Oh and Magikarps? pffff they are as rare as a Lapras here! I haven't catched a single Magikarp on the wild, all the ones I have are thanks to 2km eggs, wich is nice because one of them has 95% IVs but still. Here is rock/fire/fighting and a little bit of grass type land. We're drowning in Growlithes, Geodudes, Machop, Ekans and Exeggcutes. All the gyms in here are filled with their evolutions it's starting to get bored of seeing the same pokemon here everyday. It desperately needs more variety.

Radec

Yessss omfg. Water type pokemon here on my city are VERY rare. I could literally run 1 km as fast as I can just to catch a Squirtle. Water Week or stuff like that would be extremely helpful. Just as an example, been playing since july and I have only catched one single Squirtle. I still don't have a seel, I only have 2 horseas and only 1 goldeen... Oh and Magikarps? pffff they are as rare as a Lapras here! I haven't catched a single Magikarp on the wild, all the ones I have are thanks to 2km eggs, wich is nice because one of them has 95% IVs but still. Here is rock/fire/fighting and a little bit of grass type land. We're drowning in Growlithes, Geodudes, Machop, Ekans and Exeggcutes. All the gyms in here are filled with their evolutions it's starting to get bored of seeing the same pokemon here everyday. It desperately needs more variety.

Yo I'll take those growlithes and exeggcutes for our magicarps, psyduck, slowpokes

Firemind

Also, now about 21 candies left till my Charizard. I'll keep walking for some more candy a little bit to level it up if the move set is any good. Either way, afterwards the only Pokemon I need to evolve is Machop. Just need 10 of those, but I want to make that more of a surprise, so I'll just wait till I hatch him in another 5k. So I'll likely do a Dratini, so I can get my next Dragonite a little easier & level it up.
Ha! Both my Charmander and Dratini candy count are up to 107. Just 17 to go!

deanote666

Just evolved to get my first Charizard! Ember and fire blast isn't bad I guess.

99.1km with my charmander buddy. I want to change it to geodude but must reach that 100km...

For the gym pokemon added to your dex, is it only if you battle the gym or just looking at who's in the gym?

zulux21

99.1km with my charmander buddy. I want to change it to geodude but must reach that 100km...

For the gym pokemon added to your dex, is it only if you battle the gym or just looking at who's in the gym?

I still don't have a charmander :/

I saw 2 on sightings when in vegas, but couldn't find them :(

at least I got some growlithes and now have a nice arcanine... well sort of nice it's a 2150 at level 24, but it's got garbage moves >.>

Just looking is enough

Joni

Just look.

how do you not have

Exactly. I mean, I wasn't expecting trading by now, but some sort of double XP event like normal freemium games, or at least a special catching session or something.

They can't keep using the we're focusing on releasing the game in every god damn country excuse anymore.

Such a shame.

I've yet to this day to hatch a Kangaskhan. So weird.

Well, it's not that surprising. Even while you're in Australia, it's still a 10k egg, which are hard enough to just get in the first place, and then you have all the other variables.

I've had a lot of 10k eggs myself and not a simple Kabuto myself, so yeah.

deanote666

I still don't have a charmander :/

I saw 2 on sightings when in vegas, but couldn't find them :(

at least I got some growlithes and now have a nice arcanine... well sort of nice it's a 2150 at level 24, but it's got garbage moves >.>

My sister was the same way until we got a nearby charmander nest in the last rotation. I only had 1 wild one before that nest.

There's a nest currently in Toledo, Ohio. There used to be one in Columbus, Ohio but I don't know if one's still there.

Here's a list of user generated nest locations:
https://thesilphroad.com/atlas

zulux21

My sister was the same way until we got a nearby charmander nest in the last rotation. I only had 1 wild one before that nest.

There's a nest currently in Toledo, Ohio. There used to be one in Columbus, Ohio but I don't know if one's still there.

yeah the next list doesn't help me as the nests aren't reported around me :p

I think there might be a charmander nest near a store I go to, but I am waiting for the scanner to come back before I head out (I need to clean out my freezer before I go there anyways)

Insaniac

the charmander nest in columbus was at Highbanks metro park and i believe is reported as a Sandshrew nest now :(

Firemind

yeah the next list doesn't help me as the nests aren't reported around me :p

I think there might be a charmander nest near a store I go to, but I am waiting for the scanner to come back before I head out (I need to clean out my freezer before I go there anyways)
Hatch more eggs. I hatched all 107 candy from eggs.

Despite all of the BS, it still feels amazing to get the best offensive moveset on your Pokemon. The vast majority of Pokemon will not be used defensively, so attacking moves are the most desirable to me.

I didn't play today, but I evolved a Pikachu with 14 ATK, 15 DEF, 14 STA. The Raichu learned Spark and Thunder!

I think one of the benefits for this particular bit of luck is that you also don't have to worry too much about candies if you don't find that many more wild pikachu since walking him for candy is "cheap" compared to others.

zulux21

Hatch more eggs. I hatched all 107 candy from eggs.

i hatch plenty of eggs.
I've gotten 40 or so candy for each bulb and squirt.
haven't ever gotten a pikachu or charmander from the eggs though :p

plus while I use the app to motivate me to get up and walk around, I really don't want to only get stuff from random chance eggs.

JavyOO7

No idea where Miami players are getting lapras... I still don't have any. Shieeet.

Last new Pokemon I got was Graveler last week around my apartment complex... now I'm at 104/108.

edit - And bro, the Pokemon Go gods have to hook me up with Tauros... but he's all the way in Daytona Beach, FL supposedly. Fak.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Can anyone clarify (or post a link) on how spawns work and how the pokemon variation from them is determined? Think I read here that player activity doesn't influnece spawns, but I have noticed something at my work place. In the early weeks of the game a rare Pokémon would occassionally spawn. There was a Wartortle and even a Muk once. The last few weeks though the variation has decreased. I'm usually surrounded by birds, rats, bats and caterpillars now. What sucks is that there are a bunch of spawn points in this short range, but only crap spawns. It's weird because it used to be different. Is this because they change the algorithms sometimes, like when the nests reset? I have no clue how this works, but I'd welcome the variety I got when the game launched.

(mat)

Pretty disappointed I can't drive around with my girlfriend anymore until she spots something cool on the tracker for us to pull over and walk around to find. It's all snowy and shitty here and we can't just up and walk around aimlessly. At least with the way things were, we could get a rough idea of what to look for and a small sense of "sort of" progression. Now it's just, "Is there anything on the tracker at this gas station? Pidgey? Alright. Let's continue on our way home."

This game used to pull me into hours worth of adventuring around my city. Now I just go home. That's a shame.

GulAtiCa

I'd be ok with it if it was maybe 40+ MPH. But as it is now, really sucks. :(

Also, caught a Gengar today! Not sure why I did, since already had a fully leveled one, but kinda fun seeing it.

Top Bottom