• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 3| "No Officer, I'm a Passenger"

Vipu

Banned
Meanwhile we are just asking for the tracking that Niantic promised or a working version which they launched with while you are defending a game that doesn't deliver its promises.

So if fps game have some problem with crosshair not being perfectly center of screen its fine to use aimbot?

Or if game should have some flying drone that scans for small area for short time to spot enemies on map its fine to use wallhack?

Sure thats all fine because something doesnt work perfectly and gives reason to use cheats.

Joni

So if fps game have some problem with crosshair not being perfectly center of screen its fine to use aimbot?

Or if game should have some flying drone that scans for small area for short time to spot enemies on map its fine to use wallhack?

Sure thats all fine because something doesnt work perfectly and gives reason to use cheats.
If No Man's Sky promises multiplayer, it should be okay to mod the game. It wouldn't be okay for the developer to work on blocking that mod while not actually implementing it.

Vipu

Banned
If No Man's Sky promises multiplayer, it should be okay to mod the game. It wouldn't be okay for the developer to work on blocking that mod while not actually implementing it.

But those scanners are not even close to 3step tracking etc.
Even if we had 3 step back people would cheat and use 3rd party trackers.

Joni

But those scanners are not even close to 3step tracking etc.
Even if we had 3 step back people would cheat and use 3rd party trackers.
You would have a point if Niantic had first the working solution they promised. They don't. That is what you don't seem to get. They actively make the game run worse to block a feature instead of implementing it. The game is now worse at actually showing Pokemon, takes more cycles and all of that to make the game worse for players. To this day they even refuse to rollout the half solution they have in California.

Dishwalla

Banned
Not every one would "sit at home at home scanning and drive to spot if they see good pokemon", I saw tons of people walking out and about with Pokevision and later FastPokeMap open on their phones going "hey there's a Growlithe two blocks away if anyone needs one". It was definitely a tool that was useful out in the field.

jariw

I'm pretty sure NMS has a license agreement that handles both modifications of the core game and the definition of "functional software" or a similar term. Players who don't agree with the license agreement should vote with the wallet.

Joni

I'm pretty sure NMS has a license agreement that handles both modifications of the core game and the definition of "functional software" or a similar term. Players who don't agree with the license agreement should vote with the wallet.

License agreements can't supersede the law. Modifications to software are allowed under the latter.

There are two improvements to the tracking that would actually make me feel a lot better about it while also not changing the specific tracking method in any way:

1) Make it actually work reliably. I don't see a lot of good things to track so it doesn't happen often, but yesterday I spotted a Bulbasaur and decided to try it out. The Bulb actually DISAPPEARED ENTIRELY from the sightings pane as I got closer to it. If I didn't trust my instincts and my experience with the area, I would've either figured it disappeared or was heading in the wrong direction. The few times I've tried tracking stuff using the in-game tracker, I've had similar glitchiness.

2) Show me a timer for each sighting. Yesterday night, there was a Blastoise on my tracker, but I was already in my apartment. The usual internal struggle begins: is it worth leaving the apartment, which will take a few minutes just because of the elevator and walking through the lobby and whatnot, to maybe-but-probably-not find the Blastoise? A big help in figuring that out would be knowing just how long I had to find it. It would also help with the glitchiness above, where a pokemon disappearing from my sightings map could be a glitch, or could just be an expired sighting. I have no way to know which.

Neither of them changes the poor man's version of three-step we have now, but would be an immeasurable improvement to real-world tracking.

Blank!

the new driving change may just kill this game for me. My gf and I do most of our catching on the road driving somewhere or other :( Sad times.

GulAtiCa

Well, I call bullshit on that! I have the latest update. Updated before I left work. I then saw a Snorlax while driving and was able to find and catch it. Saw plenty of other Pokemon pop up, even when driving 40+.

So, don't believe it. Same damn rumors that dumbly pops up after nearly every patch...

Blank!

Well, I call bullshit on that! I have the latest update. Updated before I left work. I then saw a Snorlax while driving and was able to find and catch it. Saw plenty of other Pokemon pop up, even when driving 40+.

So, don't believe it. Same damn rumors that dumbly pops up after nearly every patch...

Anecdotal, but I just went down the street to eat lunch. When I was below 25 on my street I had spawns show up, when I hit the main road to the first stoplight (35+) I saw nothing the moment the radar "refreshed". At the stop light for ~20ish seconds and my nearby list filled up instantly. It's a short trip with only one real stretch of road to go fast enough so it may have been a fluke, but that road always has stuff on the nearby list.

Heading out again later this afternoon across the state, I won't be driving so I'll know for sure then.

I don't believe the reports quite yet, but that's because I've found the Sightings list to be pretty unstable in general. Lots of times I've seen it go blank, and it often seems to be down to spotty connection or the app having a hard time waking up after I turn the phone off/switch back with Go+ enabled. The weird thing is I can still get Go+ alerts for pokemon even though I don't see them on the map, not even the pink marker. Haven't checked to see if I've been able to do it with a blank Sightings pane, though.

tl;dr Pokemon Go sightings stuff is as shitty as ever. If they did change it to restrict speeds even further, they'll be cutting out people who take public transit or carpool for commutes, which means the only people playing will be people who dedicate time to walking around playing the game. Goodbye userbase.

Dishwalla

Banned
Yeah I'm not sure I buy the driving thing quite yet either, since the game has been acting really funny for me for days now. Still thinking the performance of the game has taken a hit by whatever Niantic is doing on their side.

Vipu

Banned
Ah very cool to know.
Now is there any real proof an what razzberries actually do now?

Dont think so but at least I have too many berries always even if I use them on better mons.
I always use them so no matter what they boost its good.
I just wish there was button on side to use it instead going to inventory etc, takes too much time to do it every time.

Blank!

Yeah I'm not sure I buy the driving thing quite yet either, since the game has been acting really funny for me for days now. Still thinking the performance of the game has taken a hit by whatever Niantic is doing on their side.

I can't say for sure if intentional or not but it's 100 percent real. Been in this car for 40 minutes now with the app open and nothing is showing up the entire trip.

fritolay

Rumor was tracking was scratched, cause it led people to unsafe locations where pokemon were, like train tracks and stuff. The devs and team didn't want legal issues from leading kids to dangerous places such as this. I know the game still can, but to lessen the chances? If that is the case, no tracker may ever make it's way back to the game.

Memles

I don't believe the reports quite yet, but that's because I've found the Sightings list to be pretty unstable in general. Lots of times I've seen it go blank, and it often seems to be down to spotty connection or the app having a hard time waking up after I turn the phone off/switch back with Go+ enabled. The weird thing is I can still get Go+ alerts for pokemon even though I don't see them on the map, not even the pink marker. Haven't checked to see if I've been able to do it with a blank Sightings pane, though.

Weirdest Sightings detail I ran into today: shows a Lapras at outer edge of the radius, but as I actually get closer to where it ended up being, it disappears. Could only see it on sightings in two random spots, not closer.

(1100 CP. Terrible IVs. But some candy to upgrade my 2100.)

I'm just 10 Pokemon away from finishing the Dex, but I'm losing motivation to play due to Niantic's ridiculous actions. I was able to get more Machops from my nest today, so I'm getting close to that Machamp. My town has Dratini spawns in certain water areas, so I can eventually get that Dragonite.

The other Pokemon will probably just require me to hatch a whole lot of Eggs. I don't know if I should even buy more incubators in the future because Niantic is killing this game for so many people. FPM will at least invigorate this for me in the short term.

The driving change is real, and Pokemon Go Plus users are furious about it. I'm glad that I never cared about the accessory.

jariw

Wonder when Niantic take away this ability to make the game even more unpleasant to the players. After all, they've taken away many things that made the game enjoyable in the first place.

Yes, like the constant crashing and just getting the same type of pokemon all the time. Please Niantic, bring back the feature to only get nothing but pidgeys and weedles nearby!

Replicant

Yes, like the constant crashing and just getting the same type of pokemon all the time. Please Niantic, bring back the feature to only get nothing but pidgeys and weedles nearby!

What are you talking about?! The crashing is still there and if Pidgeys and Weedles are what you want, they are still aplenty more than anything else!

If you want to be the company's official shill at least do a better job at it!

deanote666

There is always defenders and people who say cheats are fine and they dont count it as cheating in every game.
This 3rd party tracking is no different.

Im happy that finally my town is pretty legit and not people sitting at home scanning and drive to spot if they see good pokemon.
Instead they have to go out first and try to find something good.

Plus if they have used scanners this whole time they dont know how to track with ingame tracker, poor them.

Its not perfect but it works with a bit more effort.

I turn on my game and have 5 pokemon in my nearby. 2 seconds later, #1, #4 and #5 spawn right on top of me. I was unable to find #2, which was the only one I really wanted.

I was tracking a ponyta earlier today and it disappeared and reappeared as I was walking in the same direction.

What am I missing here, oh gurus of the in-game nearby?

Screenshot_20161015_215439.png

Screenshot_20161015_215506.png

yup, tracking is totally accurate and useful.

and I can still catch pokemon with my go plus on the freeway I don't get the "speed update"... I don't think it's a real thing.

jotun?

yup, tracking is totally accurate and useful.

and I can still catch pokemon with my go plus on the freeway I don't get the "speed update"... I don't think it's a real thing.

I don't know why people expect the sightings list to be in order by distance

If they were gathering enough info to sort it, they would also have enough for the footsteps distance indicators. But since that was supposedly disabled to reduce server load, it makes sense that the list is built off of only vague proximity information, not precise enough to sort it

This is ridiculous. What the fuck are they waiting for? Has the San Francisco tracker even changed at all since it was rolled out in late summer? If not, what's the reason for not rolling it out further? What are they even testing for at this point?

I'm sure they're hard at work preparing for the Launch of Pokemon Go on the Moon, and of course, preparing three more layers of security for when all the Tracking Maps come back online.

If they were gathering enough info to sort it, they would also have enough for the footsteps distance indicators. But since that was supposedly disabled to reduce server load, it makes sense that the list is built off of only vague proximity information, not precise enough to sort it

he wasn't even on my "nearest 3" in the first picture. how am I supposed to find ANYTHING if I can't even tell what's close to me? when I'm tracking a mon how am I supposed to know I'm getting closer or if I have to change direction? the spawn times are limited, so these things need to be known otherwise you're just wandering around and you probably won't even get the mon you want because there's no way to find out where it is without dumb luck, which was never a part of the original vision of the game. the fun is in searching and finding, not desperately seeking the one you want on your sightings with your heart beating fast and there's absolutely no way you can know where it is then suffering frustration and disappointment when it despawns. it's fucken stupid.

-MB-

he wasn't even on my "nearest 3" in the first picture. how am I supposed to find ANYTHING if I can't even tell what's close to me? when I'm tracking a mon how am I supposed to know I'm getting closer or if I have to change direction? the spawn times are limited, so these things need to be known otherwise you're just wandering around and you probably won't even get the mon you want because there's no way to find out where it is without dumb luck, which was never a part of the original vision of the game. the fun is in searching and finding, not desperately seeking the one you want on your sightings with your heart beating fast and there's absolutely no way you can know where it is then suffering frustration and disappointment when it despawns. it's fucken stupid.

Heck, even if they WERE ordered properly on distance, it is still a crapshoot getting them, even if you triangulate the crap out of them. It is especially wbad here considering the layout of the streets here make it even harder to triangulate so you literally miss most of the 'mons using that method unless u luck out tremendously.

For 1 you gotta be lucky enough to be there when it actually spawns, most of the time you end up in the area when it spawned a few minutes ago, so you even have less time to find it. For 2nd, you lucky when some rare pokemon spawn at all, so missing out on them is even more tragic.

It isn't much of an issue when u start out, since there is allot new to catch, and leveling up isn't as much a chore yet, compounded by the fact that you will hatch plenty new mons with eggs as well.

But once you get to higher 20s in level, it basically becomes tiring as hell. Most of the pokemon you still need, are likely very rare, or else you would have had them by now, or need a load of candy for evolving to it, usually for pokemon that are rare to begin with so it could take even months before you get to them.

That would be months of basically just pidgey evolving to next levels, battling increasing numbers of level 10 gyms stacked with cheater pokemon that even when reported on aren't dealt with. And that goes equally well for gyms of the team you are on.

Most of them, by now, are level 10 as well, meaning you can't even put your 'mons in them anymore.

At least with the trackers like FPM and pokemonnearby u had a chance of getting to certain rares, and even then you are not guaranteed a catch anyway.
Even more so if you play legit and don't use a car or bike, and go on foot, like I do.

Even then, in most big European cities, people using cars isn't mostly an issue, since cars aren't allowed in inner cities for the most part, where most interesting pokemon spawn anyway. And then, why should I care if they do, does not hinder my game, unlike the cheaters.

jariw

he wasn't even on my "nearest 3" in the first picture. how am I supposed to find ANYTHING if I can't even tell what's close to me?

There is no "nearest 3". IMO, the only real issue with triangulating is when a Pokemon spawns in the area you're located. If you walk into an area and a Pokemon pop ups, you have one point in the triangle already set. I have never relied on trackers, so I usually track down the Pokemons pretty fast.

Blank!

I went on a roadtrip (passenger) yesterday driving for ~ 90 minutes both ways, 0 pokemon showed up on highways or long backroads (over 30+). Nothing in sightings or anything. Spend long enough in traffic or at a stop light though, and boom, shit just spawns around me.

BowieZ

Banned

Umm...

EXACTLY.

It isn't a tracking feature at all.

It's a mess. Sometimes it works, other times when you really want it to work it DOESN'T.

I don't get how people are never experiencing any issues with it. Do you guys live in Wyoming where there's only ever one 'mon on your sightings?

I spent 15 minutes walking around in circles yesterday looking for a fucking Exeggutor and I can honestly say I tried EVERY fucking available physical location in the vicinity of it appearing on my list and I found EVERYTHING on the list EXCEPT the Exeggutor.

Just hatched a 98% Squirtle and I'm at 122 Squirtle candy. What a glorious day. I evolved a crappy Squirtle to Wartortle ages ago just to get it then I hatched an 85% Squirtle and decided to start again to try and eventually evolve that one to Blastoise but I held off until I had the 125 candies just in case :') Blastoise and Gengar (who I also have a 98% one but unfortunately they suck) are my favourites so I'm pleased.

Firemind

Just hatched a 98% Squirtle and I'm at 122 Squirtle candy. What a glorious day. I evolved a crappy Squirtle to Wartortle ages ago just to get it then I hatched an 85% Squirtle and decided to start again to try and eventually evolve that one to Blastoise but I held off until I had the 125 candies just in case :') Blastoise and Gengar (who I also have a 98% one but unfortunately they suck) are my favourites so I'm pleased.
You just jinxed yourself. Bite / Flash Cannon incoming.

You just jinxed yourself. Bite / Flash Cannon incoming.

Haha yes. My first Blastoise was Bite/Flash Cannon.
Now I'm at 150 squirtle candy again but I don't have a single squirtle. I think my last 30 squirtles were all <300CP. And none with >75%. I'm fucking pissed. hope I will hatch one from one of my 2km eggs soon.

Looks like I'm only one Pokemon away from finishig the Pokedex! When I get Muk that will probably be the end of it since I don't care about gyms or perfect IVs.

zroid

Banned
Man, I still play this occasionally, but it's getting reeeaally hard to stay interested until they add more Pokémon. I'm getting desperate for an expanded Pokédex.

Umm...

EXACTLY.

It isn't a tracking feature at all.

It's a mess. Sometimes it works, other times when you really want it to work it DOESN'T.

I don't get how people are never experiencing any issues with it. Do you guys live in Wyoming where there's only ever one 'mon on your sightings?

I spent 15 minutes walking around in circles yesterday looking for a fucking Exeggutor and I can honestly say I tried EVERY fucking available physical location in the vicinity of it appearing on my list and I found EVERYTHING on the list EXCEPT the Exeggutor.

It's either they only have a pidgey and a weedle on their sightings or they are like level 10s telling me I don't know how to search for a Pokémon. I'm level 32 and have caught thousands upon thousands of these guys, using the various methods to find them, and throughout the entire experience I have honed my opinion on what the problem is with the game and why this doesn't work. you shouldn't settle for a broken game when you know they have previously made it work and you know there ARE ways to make it work.

Top Bottom