• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 3| "No Officer, I'm a Passenger"

Only seen One Wild Dragonite ever here.

First ever Alakazam I saw earlier. According to Pokemonnearby, it was the rarest Wild encounter there is.

2600cp Dragonite ran away after 15 ultra balls and bunch of berries. Was gonna be my highest CP mon :|

That's absolutely crushing. Knowing my luck, it would have been less than 1000 CP. I would still be stoked to catch a wild Dragonite, though. I'll eventually evolve one.

I tried the new training, and it doesn't seem much different than before. I battled 7 or 8 Pokemon in a row, and I got 3635 Prestige from it. This way is less punishing overall, but I yielded more EXP per defeat with the old way.

I made my first ever bag upgrade after I hit level 30. After receiving those rewards and getting access to Max Revives, I was forced to upgrade. I'm very good with 400, and I think 1000 is just overkill. I don't see a need to upgrade when there isn't much to catch here.

I will have to upgrade my Pokemon storage to 300, because my mass evolutions are going to be insane. Before the update, I evolved a maximum of 79 Pidgeys with the Lucky Egg. I want to know how many more are possible from other speedy evolvers.

deanote666

I missed a wild dragonite by under a minute. Someone called me and told me where it was.

It was near where I found a wild charizard. I encountered that and it ran after 3 berried ultra balls.

jariw

2600cp Dragonite ran away after 15 ultra balls and bunch of berries. Was gonna be my highest CP mon :|

I suspect those Dragonites are just bait to empty the pokebag.

Two days ago, I saw a 2200 CP Dragonite (I saw it on the nearby list just after I caught a 1600 CP Snorlax close to my house late at night). I tracked it down, wasted all remaining raz berries, all remaining ultra balls and about 10 great balls, then it ran away.

Replicant

Don't sweat it. These days they'll have shit IVs (ie. In the 20s) and awful move sets. You are better off catching some good Dratinis and evolving them.

There was a time when they got out with 82% and above IVs with Dragon Breath/Claw as move sets but these days that instance is one in an already slim chance.

Radec

30km more for my first Hypnos

I suspect those Dragonites are just bait to empty the pokebag.

Two days ago, I saw a 2200 CP Dragonite (I saw it on the nearby list just after I caught a 1600 CP Snorlax close to my house late at night). I tracked it down, wasted all remaining raz berries, all remaining ultra balls and about 10 great balls, then it ran away.

Probably. Those 15 ultras are just the times he eacaped. I missed a bunch of throws as well since his hitmarker is tiny as fuck. Lol

I'll just have to power up my evolved 2.2k DB/DC Dragonite then.

Only 500m for my 10km egg, wish me luck.

Also only 200m until I finally can evolve Ekans, yay.

Fucking Onix...
Well at least I got some candy for Steelix (if it ever comes).
With Arbok I'm now at 131

Does the CP you gain from a level up lower if your Pokemon is at a high level? Only got 22CP from leveling up Snorlax. Guess I'll stop leveling up him now.

Firemind

Fucking Onix...
Well at least I got some candy for Steelix (if it ever comes).
With Arbok I'm now at 131

Does the CP you gain from a level up lower if your Pokemon is at a high level? Only got 22CP from leveling up Snorlax. Guess I'll stop leveling up him now.
After level 30, yes. (which means lvl. 29 trainer level since max pokemon level = trainer level + 1.5)

GulAtiCa

So what are these 2 circles that are showing at the top of the screen when I go to catch a Pokemon now?

Your catch bonus for that Pokemon type(s). There are 3 levels per type (+0, +1, +2, +3). Not sure how much it really effects the catch rate, but does seem easier in my experience so far.

Yrael

FastPokeMap have written a blog post of sorts:

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sp6pkg

With the new API about to be fully reversed (It's still not done but shouldn't be much longer, definitely this week-end), there are a few points I'd like to discuss about the recent changes made by Niantic.

I understand about a company trying to keep the integrity of its game. As long as it doesn't hurt their userbase that is.
Niantic has made pretty terrible choices lately and I believe they're self-sabotaging the game on purpose to try to to "control" the growth of their game.

For me, the tracking isn't the biggest issue with Pokemon GO, it's all the security measures Niantic is taking in trying to stop people from tinkering with their codebase which in turn hurts the real users.

Has anyone noticed how battery hungry the game has become after the 0.37.0 patch? How sluggish the game feels since 0.37? How the game doesn't run on some phone brands anymore unless you do advanced manipulations?

Those are all measures they implemented to try to stop us, reverse engineers, from trying to understand their game protocol and logic.

Let's tackle the first issue, battery usage increase due to their obfuscation.

Prior to 0.37, to do 1+1, the only issued "command" was 1+1 (simplifying, this isn't how arm assembly works) , it was a single cpu cycle. Right now, to try to hide the real 1+1 from us, they do lots of random operation such as 5*39, 45/9.45, 1+1 , etc etc, which add a lot of cpu cycle aka battery usage + lag.

This is why reversing the API has taken a long time this time around, this obfuscation adds lots of bogus code flow and instructions that are useless for the end result, they're just here to slow us down from trying to understanding the code. In the long run it doesn't stop us. But it stops older model phone from running the game smoothly because what was once a game that ran on almost most android 4.4+ is now a game that can be run smoothly on only 600+€ devices.

The second issue is SafetyNet which in my opinion is Niantic/Google's dumbest business decision. SafetyNet is like GameGuard for Android. It stops root and modified kernel from running the game. Side effect: Most chinese brand, blackberry are blocked without even being rooted.
The android ecosystem is dev friendly and encoruages rooting as well. Cheaters don't need root to cheat. Reverse engineers can bypass safetynet easily to deobufscate & reverse engineer the code. Once again this security measure doesn't stop us but it stops legit users from playing.

SafetyNet was meant as a measure to make Android Pay run only on trusted environment. It wasn't meant as an Anti Cheat system.

Now this is my message to Niantic: Keep obfuscating if you don't care about performance issue on your game, keep using SafetyNet if you want to block 5-6% of android phones.

But don't be surprised if your userbase is tanking and don't be surprised about the huge backslash from the community.

Don't be another Hello Game. Listen to your community and open the api. You can still save Pokemon GO.

We'll keep reversing your game as long as your game is popular.
FastPokeMap will continue to come back no matter how hard you try to kill it.
But if you keep trying to kill it don't be surprised if soon there won't be anyone playing your game anymore.

The hotspot in my area used to have 300-400 people playing. Since all your changes + changing the api there are only 3-4people playing.
The game is dying and it is all because of your poor choice to try to fight the wishes of your community.

This is where you show off your true colors:. Are you making the game mostly for profits or for your community?

The last line is silly - of course Niantic are trying to make money. They're a business. Making a profit and building a community also go hand in hand, since when more people are playing the game there will be more in-app purchases. This makes their actions more questionable from the perspective of maintaining long-term profit, since the particular methods they're currently using to increase their security (making the game chew through battery life faster than a Snorlax that hasn't eaten in ten years and removing access to the game from rooted phones) is effectively driving down interest in the game even faster. I wish they would "combat" the maps by vastly improving their own tracker or releasing an API specifically for developers.

In any case, the cat and mouse game continues: Niantic spends weeks adding layers of security in a way that unfortunately ends up locking out many legitimate players, reverse-engineers take a few days to crack it again, and the cycle starts over.

jariw

Pokemon badges. They increase the capture rate of the Pokemon you're about to catch. Sometimes when captured the badges will shine for a bit too.

Yes, when the badge shines up during a catch is when the badge is activated and protects the catch, where the Pokemon otherwise would escape.

Hycran

Banned
Kinda the whole chicken/egg scenario going on. If there wasn't a need (they fixed their own tracker), we wouldn't need a 3ed party tracker, would we?

I remember when my the tracker worked based on which pkmn was closest to you so you could do the ABCD strategy more easily. I remember walking in the park with my buddy and finding my first onyx. Tons of fun.

I'm really looking forward to the in game tracker working again

JavyOO7

Kinda the whole chicken/egg scenario going on. If there wasn't a need (they fixed their own tracker), we wouldn't need a 3ed party tracker, would we?

Players who are so used to larger scan radiuses like with what Pokevision had and other scanners, they'll never be able to adjust to whatever Niantic brings out. There will still be scanners until the game finally reaches it end.

Awayze

Neo Member
The game is pretty much dead, I open my app sometimes but at university, no one plays it in breaks, no lures, no groups of people, nothing.

At least trackers coming back is a great thing, not sure how people have the time and patience to track officially or even find it fun.

Dishwalla

Banned
Whatever Niantic is doing with their security measures really is screwing with the performance of the game, it routinely freezes or glitches or plain doesn't load. Get a lot more errors when trying to catch Pokémon lately and even the occasional "GPS signal not found" red banner. Currently playing on an iPhone 7, so my phone shouldn't be the issue.

jariw

The hotspot in my area used to have 300-400 people playing. Since all your changes + changing the api there are only 3-4people playing.
The game is dying and it is all because of your poor choice to try to fight the wishes of your community.

Such hyperbole from the fastpokemap developer. AFAIK, fastpokemap is based in Sweden. Pokemon launched at a time where everyone was on vacation and the schools were closed in Sweden, and the weather was warm and pleasant. Now, it's freezing cold and everyone is back at school/work.

smh this new leveling up the gym system is shit. It's taking much longer to do something that wouldn't have been as long before. it also removes some of the strategy of it.

this may be my tipping point. i might be done with this game

Firemind

The three step tracker was busted from the beginning. People would use third party trackers no matter what because human beings are lazy. Using them to scan for rare Pokemon in a three mile radius, especially with programs to notify you, IS cheating. Some may not abuse it, but that's how it goes. It only takes a small group to ruin it for others.

30km more for my first Hypnos

Probably. Those 15 ultras are just the times he eacaped. I missed a bunch of throws as well since his hitmarker is tiny as fuck. Lol

I'll just have to power up my evolved 2.2k DB/DC Dragonite then.

if you ever run into ultra Rares like that, make sure you have AR turned on, it makes the balls travel further.

The three step tracker was busted from the beginning. People would use third party trackers no matter what because human beings are lazy. Using them to scan for rare Pokemon in a three mile radius, especially with programs to notify you, IS cheating. Some may not abuse it, but that's how it goes. It only takes a small group to ruin it for others.
I wouldn't need a tracker at all if at least I could find what appears in the app easily. They've cut the time for a few Pokemon (they upped it to 22 minutes but lately they disappear after 10) which makes triangulation that much harder.

So, if a gym is level 10 and the same team as mine, there's nothing I can do to get my own Pokemon in there until another team knocks one out, right?

Replicant

Whatever Niantic is doing with their security measures really is screwing with the performance of the game, it routinely freezes or glitches or plain doesn't load. Get a lot more errors when trying to catch Pokémon lately and even the occasional "GPS signal not found" red banner. Currently playing on an iPhone 7, so my phone shouldn't be the issue.

Yeah same here. All around annoying and like another person said, the stupid "Nearby" is absolutely bonkers. I found the #5 pokemon in the area where I was whereas #1 was nowhere to be seen.

Also gym is a painful experience these days with bots taking over without even battling the gym. It's really weird seeing red transforms into another red in a matter of seconds right in front of your eyes. As in the first group of 3 pokemons are not even dead yet when all of a sudden they are replaced by 3 completely different pokemons but still in the same red team.

GulAtiCa

Caught this buddy on my way home from work! Highest CP Pokemon I've caught now. 4th from the top of my list. IVs around 60%, so nothing special, but still another Pokemon i can now use in top gyms.

CuwlxupWYAA9sPx.jpg

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Such hyperbole from the fastpokemap developer. AFAIK, fastpokemap is based in Sweden. Pokemon launched at a time where everyone was on vacation and the schools were closed in Sweden, and the weather was warm and pleasant. Now, it's freezing cold and everyone is back at school/work.

Yes and...?

That doesn't change the fact that people aren't playing this game anymore

What the fuck does "lazy" even mean in this context? It pops up every time we talk about scanners, but really, what does it mean? Because it's not like there's some grand actual, legit strategy to playing the game that involves hard work and effort. Without scanners it's literally just praying to RNGesus. I had a Weepinbell in my nearby today. I really wanted it because that whole evolutionary line is rare as fuck in Arizona. As in, I'll be lucky to get a Victreebel by next March rare. I couldn't catch it though, because it was literally impossible to track it down.

People talk about "triangulating" but that doesn't work with a shit. Case in point: walk 10 step forwards -> disappears from nearby entirely, keep going forwards -> pops up as number 1, keep going forwards -> 5th Pokémon on the list pops up to catch, keep walking forward -> disappears entirely. That exact chain of events (well, not the fifth Pokémon every time) happened in all four major compass locations while trying to catch that Weepinbell. ALWAYS either the first Pokémon or not on the list, cycling back and forth no matter which direction, and Pokémon at lower positions on the list constantly popped up before any of the others.

If the sightings actually worked as an indicator of distance that above chain would be literally impossible. And yet it's how it plays out all the time.

So how is it "lazy" to use a map when the alternative is literally just blindly wandering? How is blindly wandering with a broken in-game scanner even good gameplay?

Furthermore, how is it even cheating? It doesn't make capturing it easier, nor does it actually teleport you to where the Pokémon is. It's not giving you the Pokémon for free.

deanote666

Yeah same here. All around annoying and like another person said, the stupid "Nearby" is absolutely bonkers. I found the #5 pokemon in the area where I was whereas #1 was nowhere to be seen.

Also gym is a painful experience these days with bots taking over without even battling the gym. It's really weird seeing red transforms into another red in a matter of seconds right in front of your eyes. As in the first group of 3 pokemons are not even dead yet when all of a sudden they are replaced by 3 completely different pokemons but still in the same red team.

People talk about "triangulating" but that doesn't work with a shit. Case in point: walk 10 step forwards -> disappears from nearby entirely, keep going forwards -> pops up as number 1, keep going forwards -> 5th Pokémon on the list pops up to catch, keep walking forward -> disappears entirely. That exact chain of events (well, not the fifth Pokémon every time) happened in all four major compass locations while trying to catch that Weepinbell. ALWAYS either the first Pokémon or not on the list, cycling back and forth no matter which direction, and Pokémon at lower positions on the list constantly popped up before any of the others.

If the sightings actually worked as an indicator of distance that above chain would be literally impossible. And yet it's how it plays out all the time.

So how is it "lazy" to use a map when the alternative is literally just blindly wandering? How is blindly wandering with a broken in-game scanner even good gameplay?

Glad I'm not the only one that feels this way! I had the 3 people instantly take over gyms before I finished clearing it a few times too...

If the in-game scanner did work right, I know I would use 3ed party ones less. It's cool to know what spawned on the other side of town but I know I wouldn't make it there in time so there's no real point unless you are looking for nests.

Plus, with winter coming (it can get -20F here), I'm not going to wander aimlessly unless I know there's something out there.

If it wasn't for FPM, I wouldn't have found a charmander nest a few towns over and I would still be at 50 charmander candies, using the buddy system to get the rest (only had 1 charmander from starter, 1 wild, 3 from eggs before the nest).

Also, does that new in-game scanner in CA only scan near pokestops? There's a LOT of pokemon that spawn no where near pokestops so that limits the effectiveness at the start.

jotun?

Also, does that new in-game scanner in CA only scan near pokestops? There's a LOT of pokemon that spawn no where near pokestops so that limits the effectiveness at the start.
It does both. If it's nearby but not in range of a pokestop, it just shows grass like how they all are for the rest of us. If it's in range of a pokestop it shows the pokestop image behind it and lets you tap it to show where that pokestop is. The pokestop detection range is pretty huge, but the whole list is limited to 9 pokemon.

It does both. If it's nearby but not in range of a pokestop, it just shows grass like how they all are for the rest of us. If it's in range of a pokestop it shows the pokestop image behind it and lets you tap it to show where that pokestop is. The pokestop detection range is pretty huge, but the whole list is limited to 9 pokemon.

Whoa, I didn't realize it was that good.

If that's the case, this makes me even more pissed that Niantic shut down the 3rd party trackers without having the SF tracking available for everybody.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
After 2 months the Rapidash I has stashed in a tiny, rural Colorado Town came home beaten this afternoon. :(

R.I.P. part of daily bonus.

13ruce

Banned
Sad to see the place to go for Pokemon Go in my neighbourhood is dying slowly. Was full of players there during summer till last month, anyway had a great time it was such a surreal experience glad that i was part of it. Still going with a friend from time to time to check it out.

Anyway there was a little problem the place was called Pokemon Capital of the country, so from all places in the Netherlands people would come there. Because it would go on into deep of the night and people running in mass on streets roads and nature protected area's and ofcourse loudness people who live there filled a lawsuit against pokemon go, even the politics did while they called it the pokemon capital of Holland themselves lol but anyway now all pokemon in protected areas and on roads need to be deleted.

One funny thing tho Niantic put a extra pokestop after the first lawsuit claim wich was hilarious.

If you are wondering what the town/place was called it's Kijkduin, in the Netherlands in Europe.

But yeah it was a insane ride i will never forget running miles for pokemons with 100s of people at peak time there were like 1000-2000 people.

Hopefully when new pokemons are released it all happens again loved it.

The Pikachu board is still there tho or atleast a few weeks ago when i was there

Even police officers were playing in their cars etc amazing.

Companies around the spot ofcourse had no complaints they made bank.

Firemind

What the fuck does "lazy" even mean in this context? It pops up every time we talk about scanners, but really, what does it mean? Because it's not like there's some grand actual, legit strategy to playing the game that involves hard work and effort. Without scanners it's literally just praying to RNGesus. I had a Weepinbell in my nearby today. I really wanted it because that whole evolutionary line is rare as fuck in Arizona. As in, I'll be lucky to get a Victreebel by next March rare. I couldn't catch it though, because it was literally impossible to track it down.

Furthermore, how is it even cheating? It doesn't make capturing it easier, nor does it actually teleport you to where the Pokémon is. It's not giving you the Pokémon for free.
Blizzard doesn't allow keyboard macros and have banned accounts for using them. How is this any different? You're using a progam that violates their terms of service, effectively creating an unlevel playing field where other people have to make more effort. Whether you think their tracking system is ineffective is irrelevant.

Vipu

Banned
There is always defenders and people who say cheats are fine and they dont count it as cheating in every game.
This 3rd party tracking is no different.

Im happy that finally my town is pretty legit and not people sitting at home scanning and drive to spot if they see good pokemon.
Instead they have to go out first and try to find something good.

Plus if they have used scanners this whole time they dont know how to track with ingame tracker, poor them.

Joni

There is always defenders and people who say cheats are fine and they dont count it as cheating in every game.
This 3rd party tracking is no different.

Im happy that finally my town is pretty legit and not people sitting at home scanning and drive to spot if they see good pokemon.
Instead they have to go out first and try to find something good.

Plus if they have used scanners this whole time they dont know how to track with ingame tracker, poor them.
Meanwhile we are just asking for the tracking that Niantic promised or a working version which they launched with while you are defending a game that doesn't deliver its promises.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Sad to see the place to go for Pokemon Go in my neighbourhood is dying slowly. Was full of players there during summer till last month, anyway had a great time it was such a surreal experience glad that i was part of it. Still going with a friend from time to time to check it out.

Anyway there was a little problem the place was called Pokemon Capital of the country, so from all places in the Netherlands people would come there. Because it would go on into deep of the night and people running in mass on streets roads and nature protected area's and ofcourse loudness people who live there filled a lawsuit against pokemon go, even the politics did while they called it the pokemon capital of Holland themselves lol but anyway now all pokemon in protected areas and on roads need to be deleted.

One funny thing tho Niantic put a extra pokestop after the first lawsuit claim wich was hilarious.

If you are wondering what the town/place was called it's Kijkduin, in the Netherlands in Europe.

But yeah it was a insane ride i will never forget running miles for pokemons with 100s of people at peak time there were like 1000-2000 people.

Hopefully when new pokemons are released it all happens again loved it.

The Pikachu board is still there tho or atleast a few weeks ago when i was there

Even police officers were playing in their cars etc amazing.

Companies around the spot ofcourse had no complaints they made bank.

Kijkduin was like Lillo in Belgium, only way bigger even I'd imagine. Wish I lived closer so I could've seen the madness. Last I heard surprsingly it's even better for rare catches than it used to be? Don't know how true that is, read it on another board.

I went to Brussels last week and going again tomorrow, and there are still people playing. There's even a park in Ghent that got popular again because it became a Bulbasaur nest. I made a quick stop there last weekend and there were still people with power banks running around.

Top Bottom