• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Trading Card Game Online |OT| Everything You've Ever Dreamed

eJawa

would probably like a hook in his jaw for that matter
I stayed up too late last night playing this. It was probably a good thing that it stopped working, because I probably would have stayed up even later. Though I was only one match away from finishing it with the Fire deck.

I saw this at PAXEast. At first I was disappointed it was browser game and still am, but I'm looking forward to when the Online part is launched. I talked to one of the reps about how to unlock cards and I know of at least 2 ways. The free way is to play all the challenges with each deck, as that will unlock all the cards in the deck for use. Also, if you buy one of the new B/W starter decks, it comes with a code that unlocks those cards for use in the game as well. I'm guessing there's other ways too, like maybe buying boosters with tokens.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Don't like the fact that it's a browser game, nor the style of the characters, but this did at the very least bring back some good memories of playing the TCG a decade ago.

Bo130

I played the GBC game some weeks ago, and this is all kinds of awesome. Would buy a 3DS for this portable, thank you!

Woffls

I think the bug where it becomes unresponsive happens if you issue an action, then look at your hand too quickly afterwards or something. I'm sure it's something to do with clicking on stuff too quickly!

I just destroyed Penelope :p
pended.png

eJawa said:
I stayed up too late last night playing this. It was probably a good thing that it stopped working, because I probably would have stayed up even later. Though I was only one match away from finishing it with the Fire deck.

I saw this at PAXEast. At first I was disappointed it was browser game and still am, but I'm looking forward to when the Online part is launched. I talked to one of the reps about how to unlock cards and I know of at least 2 ways. The free way is to play all the challenges with each deck, as that will unlock all the cards in the deck for use. Also, if you buy one of the new B/W starter decks, it comes with a code that unlocks those cards for use in the game as well. I'm guessing there's other ways too, like maybe buying boosters with tokens.
From the articles I have read, it sounds like tokens are just going to be used for buying more options for you avatar.

I found these two articles from PAXEast.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...kemon-TCG-Expanding-to-Digital-Realm-for-Free
Defeating these opponents raises your rank and awards tokens that can be used to purchase more avatar options.
For those that get into it, new decks purchased in physical retail stores (released quarterly) can be scanned into the game, tying the real and digital worlds of the card game together and eliminating the necessity for consumers to pay for the content twice.
http://gamerant.com/pokemon-tcg-online-trainer-challenge-hands-on-hold-73343/
Those who are active in the card game community can purchase future decks and import them into the online version via a QR code or serial number. The QR code can be scanned with a webcam and instantly added to the game, without having to type anything in. This is a welcomed change from the standard micro-transaction model that would be expected with this type of product. Instead of paying money for a virtual item, people can just buy a physical deck and have the best of both worlds.

FFFFFUUUUUU- I don't want to have to buy cards again. ;_; They should offer a subscription service that gives you access to all cards, but you can only challenge other subscribers. Something like that.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Andrex said:
XD

Lol iPad.

i used both the ipad 2 and the xoom before coming to a purchase conclusion.

i've also had an android phone since the OG droid.

it's very clear which phone OS ecosystem is robust & reliable and which is isn't. this is not the thread to discuss this.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Whoah, they're using QR codes? That's pretty progressive. Although it seems like they're dissuading people from purchasing single cards...

Seems like I have to start buying the card games IRL now in order to get good stuff for this ;)

jon bones said:
i used both the ipad 2 and the xoom before coming to a purchase conclusion.

i've also had an android phone since the OG droid.

it's very clear which phone OS ecosystem is robust & reliable and which is isn't. this is not the thread to discuss this.

I'm just saying, if you want to play this on a tablet, you're not going to be able to do it on an iPad. Ever. Whereas the Flash update for the Xoom should be hitting pretty soon. That's all I meant.

I just found a bunch of my old Pokemon cards, though I think I threw some of them away. I still have the original Charizard. :O Too bad I probably won't be able to use these online. :\

eJawa

would probably like a hook in his jaw for that matter
Son of a... I was just about to win a match and the game froze. I backed out and saw that there is a message that the game is currently offline for maintenance.

eJawa said:
Son of a... I was just about to win a match and the game froze. I backed out and saw that there is a message that the game is currently offline for maintenance.
Lol, same thing happened to me except I had just beat the final match. Hopefully I don't have to do it again, my Blastoise kicked some major ass.

Andrex said:
Firefox 4 actually looks pretty good.

Edit- Except for that bottom status bar. Blech.

Purely optional. I use it for FoxyTunes, it's more convenient then switching back to the Spotify window.

btkadams said:
does anyone know how long the maintenance will be?
I don't know, but it better get back up--and soon!

I am a weak motherfucker. I went out to a Comics N Stuff and bought a starter deck :( I even messaged my friend to buy one so we can play :p Oh, I also told him about this game, too. So. Fucking. AWESOME.

Oh, and I played for HOURS. This is going to ruin my life even more. Good thing I play in the AM...it's usually working for me at that time.

btkadams

dragonlife29 said:
I don't know, but it better get back up--and soon!

I am a weak motherfucker. I went out to a Comics N Stuff and bought a starter deck :( I even messaged my friend to buy one so we can play :p Oh, I also told him about this game, too. So. Fucking. AWESOME.
my friends have all thought i've gone crazy over the pokemon games lately so i extremely doubt any of them would buy a pack of cards with me haha. i wish though!

do all of you guys (the ones who have just bought decks) have people to play with? i'm just curious as to how people are going to actually use theirs.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Hrm I might be able to play with one person but maybe not. It's all about dat online.

Woffls

So, if physical decks can be scanned by a webcam using QR... that pretty much guarantees that Nintendo intends to use them for 3DS? Would seem wasteful to make all this stuff and not have it work on 3DS.

For me, having someone to play with didn't matter. I just wanted a deck to feel like a kid again and have that "NEW CARDS!" feeling again. Of course, I will vehemently pester my friend to purchase a deck himself so we can play. If anything, I'll buy one for him to use.

I've actually brought it up before, though. I told him once that we should buy some Pokemon starter decks. "Are you serious?" he said. "Of course!" It never went anywhere, though--mainly because he's cheap. I'm sure if I bought him one he'd play and come over.

I also brought it up with my best friend, too. She thought I was joking, haha. I'm simply a man that loves his fucking Pokemon <3

btkadams

dragonlife29 said:
For me, having someone to play with didn't matter. I just wanted a deck to feel like a kid again and have that "NEW CARDS!" feeling again. Of course, I will vehemently pester my friend to purchase a deck himself so we can play. If anything, I'll buy one for him to use.

I've actually brought it up before, though. I told him once that we should buy some Pokemon starter decks. "Are you serious?" he said. "Of course!" It never went anywhere, though--mainly because he's cheap. I'm sure if I bought him one he'd play and come over.

I also brought it up with my best friend, too. She thought I was joking, haha. I'm simply a man that loves his fucking Pokemon <3
yeah i think i might buy 2 starter decks and force someone to play with me so that they want to buy one after. it just is so fucking fun online so i'd be totally down for playing with friends.

is there a good place to buy online?

TreIII

Awesome stuff. Like some others, I put so much time in that GBC version. Nintendo really needs to bring us another DS/3DS ready game.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Andrex said:
I'm just saying, if you want to play this on a tablet, you're not going to be able to do it on an iPad. Ever.

there are actually a bunch of flash enabled browsers for ios

btkadams

wait!!!!!!!!! i was just reading through the thread more... so this trading card game online, will it be like a full game almost? i'm reading that you'll be able to buy decks in stores and use them to unlock decks in the game?

if this is a free game and actually will be as deep as it sounds, this could be the best thing ever haha. i'd totally buy cards if they'd work in the game. that way i could have cards to play with people in-person if possible, but it wouldn't be wasted money since they'd be in the online game too.

Michan said:
Just gone to try this out and it's down for maintenance. Does anybody know how long this downtime will last?
It sounds like it's already been down for a few hours, but considering it's a Sunday I'm not exactly hopeful of it coming back online tonight.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
jon bones said:
there are actually a bunch of flash enabled browsers for ios

Oh really? Now I'm curious. How's performance? My netbook seems to do well except for the transitions, which are OK but low framerate.

Michan

OgTheClever said:
It sounds like it's already been down for a few hours, but considering it's a Sunday I'm not exactly hopeful of it coming back online tonight.
Sorry, skimmed the last few posts and didn't see anybody mention it. Thanks for the heads-up. :)

btkadams

Andrex said:
Yeah those look like the new decks.

Although I was wondering about the Oshawott and Reshiram tins.
yeah i read more about those and those are "previews". they have a figure of the starter as well as the card of the starter, but then there is just 4 booster packs from previous sets. that's why they're available now.

Wiseblade

Buying real cards? I'm going to have to draw the line there. I'm already too far into the Yu-Gi-Oh rabbit hole to switch now, and my bank account can't handle two card games at once.

btkadams said:
nomnomnom

also, what do the pokemon black/white starter sets look like? i was looking around online and so many sites are so confusing. would buying one of these be a good way to start?
I guess I'll have to get one of those. On another note, wow the final forms of the starters are really funky looking. :\ To think they started out so cute. Ken Sugimori must be getting really worn out at this point.

Forkball

I loved the GBC game, but I won't get into this because you will eventually have to buy new cards to get them. This is a major flaw with video game version of card games. On one hand, you can't make all the cards available in the game because then no one would buy the actual card game, but the other hand you don't want to make it so whoever spent the most money has the best advantage. Even if you crate a new card game franchise that is video game exclusive, the formula of having microtransactions for cards is so hardwired into developer's minds that they think it would be too risky to change it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Wiseblade said:
Buying real cards? I'm going to have to draw the line there. I'm already too far into the Yu-Gi-Oh rabbit hole to switch now, and my bank account can't handle two card games at once.

YVD + Pokemon TCG IRL + Pokemon TCG Online = Harmony

ninj4junpei said:
I guess I'll have to get one of those. On another note, wow the final forms of the starters are really funky looking. :\ To think they started out so cute. Ken Sugimori must be getting really worn out at this point.

Nah, last gen's starters' final forms were the best in the series. Everyone has their off days.

And Sugimori doesn't even come up with a lot of the designs (although he does "finalize" all of them.)

wow the pokemon card game, some friends back in school just before I finished there had some cards, can't remember the rules at all anymore.

Will give this a look.

Andrex said:
Nah, last gen's starters' final forms were the best in the series. Everyone has their off days.

And Sugimori doesn't even come up with a lot of the designs (although he does "finalize" all of them.)
Ah. I still really like his artwork, and the gen IV starters did have awesome final forms.

Nirolak said:
Why can't my avatar actually look like a Pokemon character instead of some Yahoo Answers abomination. : /

Personally, I like being a faceless shadow tearing apart the hopes and dreams of children and Pokemon nerds.

Nirolak said:
Why can't my avatar actually look like a Pokemon character instead of some Yahoo Answers abomination. : /
They don't look that bad, at least mine doesn't. >_> However, I'm not sure why they went with this style. It seems like they are aiming this at an older crowd.

Is there a Japanese version of this? I'm curious what their avatars look like. I tried to navigate the Japanese website, but I couldn't find anything.

Michan

ninj4junpei said:
They don't look that bad, at least mine doesn't. >_> However, I'm not sure why they went with this style. It seems like they are aiming this at an older crowd.
Not so sure about that. The style is very similar to current-day cartoon shows. I'd say 13 or 14 is the age cap for this.

Of course, we manchildren are exceptions to this rule.

Michan said:
Not so sure about that. The style is very similar to current-day cartoon shows. I'd say 13 or 14 is the age cap for this.

I meant like older teens. I wonder if the base avatar changes based on the user's age. The NPCs definitely vary in age. I imagine that for security reasons they would want to have the older users distinguished from the younger.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Michan said:

egoktx.jpg

Top Bottom