• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Trading Card Game Online |OT| Everything You've Ever Dreamed

udivision said:
Um... this game exists? Made by Nintendo?
Nintendo made an online game?
What?

Well, The Pokemon Company did. For the purposes of furthering a non-videogame business venture. So don't get excited and start expected Mario on Facebook or something :p

So playing this game made me miss my old Gameboy cart. A part of the charm was that the old Pokemon TCG game had great music (as far as I remember). I've finally hunted it down and I'm playing it now: it's so great.

Can't wait til the online version actually has online. Until then, I'm gonna get my Pokemon TCG fixing through the greatest version ever made.

btkadams

i don't understand how they intend to support this. there's no ads that i can see on the website. are they going to rely solely on microtransactions/people buying actual decks? this seems way more generous than anyone would expect nintendo to typically be.

btkadams said:
i don't understand how they intend to support this. there's no ads that i can see on the website. are they going to rely solely on microtransactions/people buying actual decks? this seems way more generous than anyone would expect nintendo to typically be.
The TCG is not as popular as it used to be. Not to mention that this doesn't seem to have a huge budget. It is a flash game after all. Yu-Gi-Oh! Online seems to be a bit more robust and it has that business model.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
ninj4junpei said:
The TCG is not as popular as it used to be. Not to mention that this doesn't seem to have a huge budget. It is a flash game after all. Yu-Gi-Oh! Online seems to be a bit more robust and it has that business model.

Yeah YGO Online is an actual MMO, microtransactions, walking avatars, and all.

I prefer this way. It's very sensible. You buy a card in real life, you can use it online. No dealing with walking around a giant empty map, no paying for cards you already have, just... the card game. That is why this is awesome.

Proven

Did the game recently freeze for anybody? For the last 15 minutes it just gets up to 99% downloaded and stays stuck there.

Calidor

Proven said:
Did the game recently freeze for anybody? For the last 15 minutes it just gets up to 99% downloaded and stays stuck there.

Yep 99% here as well, looks like the do a daily maintenance at this time... This so addicting! I'm about to finish the last cup and I unlocked all cards in all 3 decks haha...

I got stuck at 10/12 cards for my water deck =/ I unlocked everything for the others, though. It sucks that we can't just re-battle someone to unlock the rest if we've already done every cup.

DMG-01

dragonlife29 said:
I got stuck at 10/12 cards for my water deck =/ I unlocked everything for the others, though. It sucks that we can't just re-battle someone to unlock the rest if we've already done every cup.
You mean the decks won't upgrade if you win a battle with them that doesn't have a check mark? That means that I won't complete my Fire or Water decks, having used Grass for more than 12 matches. :/

DMG-01 said:
You mean the decks won't upgrade if you win a battle with them that doesn't have a check mark? That means that I won't complete my Fire or Water decks, having used Grass for more than 12 matches. :/
That's what it's looking like. I know I tried two different times (doing rematches) and didn't unlock anything.

I'll have to try again once the servers are up again to reconfirm. I personally used the fire deck the most. 14 wins with it. Each one is pretty damn awesome, though.

EDIT: I must have done rematches with people that had checkmarks and didn't notice for some reason. That's definitely why I wasn't unlocking anything. I just unlocked my Blastoise, finally, after battling someone without a checkmark. All's good!

btkadams

yeah, you can replay previous battles using different decks and unlock stuff for those decks. that would be lame if you couldnt!

I must say, this is quite fun! Although I wish I had more energy cards, but since it's still in beta, no biggie. I'm using the fire deck, and wow, arcanine is one helluva beast.

I'm getting a "Down for maintenance" error on 3 different browsers. Must be upgrading something now.

I hate how the new unlocks take place of other cards in the deck that you cant select. deck Editing would be gdlk!

D-Pad

^ gdlk?

Had nothing to do waiting for this bad boy to come back up, so I redrew my avatar.
3zF0Um.jpg

/showoff

lol oh... It's still down. :\ Guess I'll go back to that other Pokemon game...

D-Pad

udivision said:
Why isn't this game a bigger deal?

I've been waiting for TCG 3 for ages...
Because it's always freezing/down for maintenance! I'm sure once it gets out of beta the hype will grow somewhat.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Played this along with the TCG GB soundtrack last night and it was a blast. Can't wait to try it again.

BJK

ninj4junpei said:
From the articles I have read, it sounds like tokens are just going to be used for buying more options for you avatar.
FFFFFUUUUUU- I don't want to have to buy cards again. ;_; They should offer a subscription service that gives you access to all cards, but you can only challenge other subscribers. Something like that.

Played the beta enough to finish off all 3 decks and win the triple crown. It reminds me of how much I enjoyed the GBC game. (Bought a good number of the cards, but didn't have opposition readily available.)

As a freemium game (tokens unlock more cards; pay for additional tokens), with a robust deck editor, I'd play it every day.
If I have to pay real money for virtual cards, I'm out.

Gravijah

ninj4junpei said:
http://i54.tinypic.com/2eq835v.jpg[IMG]
Bring it![/QUOTE]

you are a constant reminder that i need to start case 5 in phoenix wright and then play all the other games. :( backloooooooooooooooog

vanty

Getting kind of addicted to this. Halfway through the second league, one more game with Fire and I'll have unlocked all the fire cards. If I get some good luck with getting a Flareon or the Cyndaquil evolutions up early I'm winning games 6-0. Seems to be impossible to stop unless you have a tough streak of finding no energy cards. Even beat a water deck like that since he could only get the energy to attack me once in the whole thing, so it ended up being 450 damage to 10 or something.

drizzle said:
Oh my god. This is going to be free? Micro transactions based, or what?

I'm starting to get afraid of it.
Well, I'm pretty sure it's gonna be micro transaction. Sounds simple enough. You get tokens for winning games. You use the tokens to buy booster packs or single cards, maybe? You pay 5 bucks to get an "S" load of tokens so you can get that mewtwo card.

Cels

how many unlocks are there for each deck? i beat 14 different trainers with my grass deck but i have only unlocked 11 cards for the grass deck.

edit - nvm it says "all rewards unlocked" so i guess i unlocked them all even though there are supposed to be 12....

vanty

Cels said:
how many unlocks are there for each deck? i beat 14 different trainers with my grass deck but i have only unlocked 11 cards for the grass deck.

edit - nvm it says "all rewards unlocked" so i guess i unlocked them all even though there are supposed to be 12....
I think mine also went from 11 unlocked to "all unlocked" without me winning another game. Arcanine is the last thing I can remember getting for Fire, I'm assuming that is supposed to be the last card and I didn't miss out on something with a glitch.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The Abominable Snowman said:
I unlocked all cards for each deck and won all three league championships.

So... is that it?

Well, it was a blast. I liked TCG more than the main RPG series

That's it for the beta. The full version will let you plat other people and customize your deck. And there will be more NPCs, I assume.

Andrex said:
That's it for the beta. The full version will let you plat other people and customize your deck. And there will be more NPCs, I assume.
I tried using just one deck per league, and I must say, I always had trouble when I was fire and was facing a water deck. Can't wait til this comes out of beta, cuz I can't stand only having under 20 energy cards.

D-Pad

At times I would draw nothing but energy cards, nearly ending my chances of victory, and at times I'd be praying for that trainer card. Feels good.

This....seems too good to be true. If they add some kind of currency system that allows me to buy booster packs and build up a collection and never charge me real dollars, I may never need another video game again.

If only it was on 3DS! Maybe it'll come to the e-shop once that goes up!

Just beat all the challenges.

It reminded my how seriously fucking strong my love for the tcg for gameboy was. I was instantly hooked. I will scream in joy if it should ever be announced as going portable again.

Izayoi

Banned
deVIZtator said:
Can't wait til this comes out of beta, cuz I can't stand only having under 20 energy cards.
Uh... Most decent decks play with around ten (usually under) regular energies. These decks are way too energy heavy.

Izayoi

Banned
dragonlife29 said:
How in the hell do they compensate? WTF? Abilities/Trainers, etc?
Draw power and search cards.

So yes, trainers and abilities, mainly.

Some cards have fantastic draw attacks as well.

I guess you really have to know a lot of cards to run with so few Energy cards. That said, I did spend some time looking at the card database on the official site. I'm glad I did because I finally saw who illustrated the Feraligatr from the water deck. SO AWESOME. I looked up his other stuff, too.

Honestly, this game has restarted my Pokemon craze again :( I mean, I already loved Pokemon but I feel like I'm a little too obsessed now. I bought a starter deck yesterday and went back today for another for a friend so he could play with me (I got it for free! Woo!). And solely because I love the Feraligatr I linked, I ordered the starter deck with him in it <_<

Izayoi

Banned
dragonlife29 said:
I guess you really have to know a lot of cards to run with so few Energy cards. That said, I did spend some time looking at the card database on the official site. I'm glad I did because I finally saw who illustrated the Feraligatr from the water deck. SO AWESOME. I looked up his other stuff, too.

Honestly, this game has restarted my Pokemon craze again :( I mean, I already loved Pokemon but I feel like I'm a little too obsessed now. I bought a starter deck yesterday and went back today for another for a friend so he could play with me (I got it for free! Woo!). And solely because I love the Feraligatr I linked, I ordered the starter deck with him in it <_<
Here's his pixiv. Fantastic artist.

Don't worry about being "too obsessed". You like what you like, right? I'm glad that you're enjoying it. The card game, in all of its forms, is a ton of fun.

Top Bottom