• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT4| Don't Bank On It

Firestorm

Doesn't make it right. There should be some sort of block done on them. What they should have done is put a hidden value into it that nobody will notice except the hack checks.

Hacks and RNG abuse ruined Gen V's online and VGC. That's why Kalos Native exists and now this is going to ruin that. It's horrific. Considering they let obviously edited Pokémon through Nationals this year too, I'm starting not to like things again.
Except they had hidden values last time that people figured out anyway. I'm not going to get into an argument with you over this again. I'm just going to say that "ruined" is hyperbolic. It's not "horrific". Obviously edited Pokémon weren't let through Nationals. It was something that was bred legitimately but from a parent (or grandparent or great grandparent...) that turned out to be hacked. I agree the hack check should be able to catch that and inform the player if the things they've received are legal given the game's emphasis on trading.

Yay! A pokemon thread. I'm a complete newb, is there a thread for me? I'm sure most of you are on another level. There are way too many pokemons! Is there a website that is simple and breaksdown each pokemon for x and y? Gives a overview of them and tells you what moves to keep/how to play them best?

The dang bulbapedias ect or wayyy too indepth and cover every single instance of them. I just need help with figuring out how to use them best...

I don't understand why you get so many of the same-ish skills. Thanks for any guidance! (My highest is 38 (delphox))

Firestorm

Yay! A pokemon thread. I'm a complete newb, is there a thread for me? I'm sure most of you are on another level. There are way too many pokemons! Is there a website that is simple and breaksdown each pokemon for x and y? Gives a overview of them and tells you what moves to keep/how to play them best?

The dang bulbapedias ect or wayyy too indepth and cover every single instance of them. I just need help with figuring out how to use them best...

I don't understand why you get so many of the same-ish skills. Thanks for any guidance! (My highest is 38 (delphox))
Don't worry about it for single player. Just go through the game blind. Competitive play can happen afterwards. Bulbapedia is a great resource for just regular stuff. http://veekun.com is the best dex online. However, you don't need any of that for the single player portion. Just go through and catch / use what you like. It's a pretty easy game.

Just came back to the game because of TPP hype, and I am already shiny hunting via fishing streaks. Hopefully I'll get one and move on to try and get my Greninja shiny that I wanted before I stopped playing.

JoeM86

Except they had hidden values last time that people figured out anyway. I'm not going to get into an argument with you over this again. I'm just going to say that "ruined" is hyperbolic. It's not "horrific". Obviously edited Pokémon weren't let through Nationals. It was something that was bred legitimately but from a parent (or grandparent or great grandparent...) that turned out to be hacked. I agree the hack check should be able to catch that and inform the player if the things they've received are legal given the game's emphasis on trading.

Of course you'd say it's hyperbolic, because you were doing it and defending it to death last gen.

Also, the combination was still illegal and thus modified. Rules state that a player is responsible, even if it's obtained through trades. Also, nothing bred with a hack is bred legitimately, especially if it results in illegal combinations. By your logic, people should be able to use Contrary Serperior, because even if the parents are hacked, it's legitimate. It isn't.

Firestorm

What? I never hacked in any generation. Hell, I was using one team through probably 2 years because making new teams is just too time consuming. Don't accuse people out of the blue.

Illegal, but not modified. I don't remember ever saying it should be allowed. In fact, I literally just said in my last post that the hack check should find it (but doesn't). I am pretty sure I also have said countless times that the hack check doesn't allow anything that would affect gameplay through and that I'm happy about that so I don't know where your logic on Serperior comes through.

I mean seriously, I agreed that hack checks need to be stronger and you just pulled a bunch of bullshit out of your ass to turn it into an argument.

JoeM86

What? I never hacked in any generation. Hell, I was using one team through probably 2 years because making new teams is just too time consuming. Don't accuse people out of the blue.

Illegal, but not modified. I don't remember ever saying it should be allowed. In fact, I literally just said in my last post that the hack check should find it (but doesn't). I am pretty sure I also have said countless times that the hack check doesn't allow anything that would affect gameplay through and that I'm happy about that so I don't know where your logic on Serperior comes through.

I mean seriously, I agreed that hack checks need to be stronger and you just pulled a bunch of bullshit out of your ass to turn it into an argument.

Balls do affect gameplay as they provide anticipation. With a Dream Ball, you can tell about potentially having DW ability. In Gen IV balls, you can tell about it not having it. Yet, with the instances at Nationals, the complete inverse of this was true with the Dream Ball Aegislash and his Lure Ball Drizzle Politoed & Lure Ball Ludicolo.

It's illegal because, somewhere down the chain, it was modified and thus the Pokémon was modified.

Also, I was more referring to the RNG abuse when referring to you using it last gen. However, you have spoken out before saying that if it appears legal then it is fine. It really isn't and it ruins things for people who try to play the game legitimately. I do apologise if offence was taken from my statement, it was not my intent. I should have worded it better.

Firestorm

Though true in Gen V (ie. no egg moves in non-Pokeballs), that is not true in Gen VI with any gender Pokémon able to pass down Dream World abilities and females able to pass down balls. You no longer gain information from balls.

JoeM86

Though true in Gen V (ie. no egg moves in non-Pokeballs), that is not true in Gen VI with any gender Pokémon able to pass down Dream World abilities and females able to pass down balls. You no longer gain information from balls.

Yes you can.

You cannot have Hidden Ability Pokémon in Apricorn balls, for example. There is still that element. It isn't as widespreadly useful as before, but it is still there.

Don't worry about it for single player. Just go through the game blind. Competitive play can happen afterwards. Bulbapedia is a great resource for just regular stuff. http://veekun.com is the best dex online. However, you don't need any of that for the single player portion. Just go through and catch / use what you like. It's a pretty easy game.
Ook, seems like it. But it's not fun sometimes because I dont know what skills I should be using. Also, I can't screw things up if I dont get the right skills can I?

JoeM86

Ook, seems like it. But it's not fun sometimes because I dont know what skills I should be using. Also, I can't screw things up if I dont get the right skills can I?

Na, you can always get the moves back (through a character in Dendemille Town) and retrain your Pokémon at a later point if you feel it should have had something you chose not to have earlier. Don't fret.

If you hover over a move, it should tell you all the info you need. You can do this during battle by holding a button that I never remember or outside of battle.

Generally you want moves with higher Power, as these will do more damage. But you also have to look at the additional effects and Accuracy.

Like Surf and Scald both do similar damage, but Scald can inflict Burn making it the more useful move. Although in Double Battles, Surf hits multiple targets, so sometimes things aren't always that clear.

Also check the Category of the move--whether it's Physical (red smash icon) or Special (blue spiral icon). Physical moves run off Attack and target the enemy's Defence, while Special moves work on the Special Attack/Defence stats.

Now, attack moves are the most important in the main campaign, but don't overlook the status moves too! It's just like any RPG really; inflicting Paralysis on an enemy can be useful for getting more free hits in.

I hope that was somewhat useful : o

Nebula

So last night I hatched my first shiny pokemon in months and it's a shroomish.

Shiny Breloom is one of my favourite shinies. Speaking of breeding. What do I do to up the chances of getting a shiny? I heard Japanese pokemon up the chance but not sure if I should use two japanese pokemon or one.

Does breeding an already shiny pokemon up the odds?

A link to a guide would be welcome.

Shiny Breloom is one of my favourite shinies. Speaking of breeding. What do I do to up the chances of getting a shiny? I heard Japanese pokemon up the chance but not sure if I should use two japanese pokemon or one.

Not the most liked forum, but here:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/696959-pokemon-x/68377412

Read the first 7 posts, ignore the rest and I think you will be fine. Smogon/Bulbapedia/Serebii probably have guides too, but this one I used before.

Two parents of different regions have higher chances of breeding a shiny (Masuda Method)

In other words, JPN/ENG or ENG/KOR/ or KOR/JPN or whatever regional combination, as long as they are different language regions.

lupinko

Two parents of different regions have higher chances of breeding a shiny (Masuda Method)

In other words, JPN/ENG or ENG/KOR/ or KOR/JPN or whatever regional combination, as long as they are different language regions.

Yeah that's why for fun and convenience I want to get 6iv dittos from different regions. I have a 6iv Adamant Shiny English and a 6iv Jolly Japanese.

I want 6iv Spanish, German, French, Italian and Korean.

I think those are all the languages.

I'm looking for a Beedrill with Drill Run and Knock Off . These were tutor moves in Black 2/White 2.
Sadly you can't catch a Weedle in B2. :(
Also looking for a HA Vulpix.

Muku

Well, they are definately prepping Yokohama for a Pikahu invasion. Would be hard to miss with all the ads LOL. When I get home later will post the pic of the big one they have on building here.

Also got my birthday Umbren. :D. Got some Pikachu chopsticks today and chibi Victini. So many Pikachu items in that it was tempting. I was going to get a chibi Diancie but man, couldn't bring myself to it.

lupinko

Well, they are definately prepping Yokohama for a Pikahu invasion. Would be hard to miss with all the ads LOL. When I get home later will post the pic of the big one they have on building here.

Also got my birthday Umbren. :D. Got some Pikachu chopsticks today and chibi Victini. So many Pikachu items in that it was tempting. I was going to get a chibi Diancie but man, couldn't bring myself to it.

That's awesome and with that said, I can't wait for the festival star that is coming to Sendai this Friday. It may not be a star sapphire but you can certainly wish you were home with it. ;)

Muku

So in the mall area they had this big Pikachu balloon with little Pikachu inside.

IMG_1711_zpsd60a1fbf.jpg

Outside on building a bit off from Landmark Tower.

And ads everywhere.

Muku

It's cool... and Surfing Pikachu will be awesome, but still doesn't come to awesomeness of a shiny legendary. D:

Edit: Though, will be cool to see in a couple weeks the place decked out in Pikachu stuff.

Muku

Nothing else can create this level of crazy. Only Pokémon.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aVcisdS8X0

Hahaha... yesssss!

Actually, Pokemon Center was pretty busy today. I imagine activity there has picked up a lot since movie came out. They have bunch of Pikachu plushies up front greeting you. And the guy who gave me the birthday Umbreon was so nice. They didn't really set the paper crowns up for the kids, but he put my Umbreon sticker on it then put it on my head, hahaha! Then some point a lady working inside stopped and wished me a happy birthday. Some of the craziest stuff ever. But they're always so friendly there.

Nebula

Going about my business getting into route 16 to get the super rod and speak to the guy about chaining bites for fishing and I get a battle with Articuno. I had no idea they were even on the game.

Do they act like the legendary dogs in Gen 2?

Muku

Going about my business getting into route 16 to get the super rod and speak to the guy about chaining bites for fishing and I get a battle with Articuno. I had no idea they were even on the game.

Do they act like the legendary dogs in Gen 2?

Depending on your starter choice, once you beat it (think it's beat it, right?) it releases the bird tied to your starter choice. From there you have to encounter it like 10 or 11 times. Then it flies to the cave in NW (can't remember name at moment) where you can then battle/catch it. So don't feel bad if you encounter him and he keeps flying away. He's supposed to do that.

But now you've encountered it, you can track it on the map.

Edit: Just got Umbreon and brought 'em over to my US X. He's adorable. Level 10 and has a move called Celebrate. My birthday ブラッキー。:D

Crown in top they give you, haha. Middle spot they put sticker of Pokemon you choose. They also give you a 5% off to use for the day. Not included here because I used it, haha. Chibi Victini and some Pikachu chopsticks. They had quite a few chopsticks to choose from but I was a sucker for those. I might get another set when I go back for Surfing Pikachu. And on left is the birthday card they give you. :D Two yellow bags are bags for when ya buy stuff. One was given to me with my birthday stuff and other was for Victini + chopsticks. The pink bag they included with my purchases in my Pikachu bag. Klefki is on that side, on otherside is Pikachu and Denenne.

Edit 2: Hey Joe, Pokeball Vivillon is still set to be released in Japan for all of August, correct? Was just reading something from earlier this month stating only July 31st to August 1st at certain PCs. So, just want to check. Now I'm a bit worried.

Edit: Just got Umbreon and brought 'em over to my US X. He's adorable. Level 10 and has a move called Celebrate. My birthday ブラッキー。:D

Edit 2: Hey Joe, Pokeball Vivillon is still set to be released in Japan for all of August, correct? Was just reading something from earlier this month stating only July 31st to August 1st at certain PCs. So, just want to check. Now I'm a bit worried.

Nice! Aww, I love the birthday card too.

For your question, Poke Ball Vivillon is during August, so don't worry ^^

(Official site)

BTW, what's everyone's plans for Pikachu hunting? Are you going to grab as many Pikachus as you can or only one? Or maybe just the ones close to home? : P

Muku

Nice! Aww, I love the birthday card too.

For your question, Poke Ball Vivillon is during August, so don't worry ^^

(Official site)

BTW, what's everyone's plans for Pikachu hunting? Are you going to grab as many Pikachus as you can or only one? Or maybe just the ones close to home? : P

Sweet, thank you.

Is there some Pikachu hunting thing I'm not aware of? :O

Edit: Joe, yeah when they said I was going to get a birthday card I was like "Oh..." then the guy showed it to me and I was like Holy crap this is an awesome card! Front of card is cool too.

Wish I had that birthday card. Ah well, the non-Pokémon ones my family got me will have to do :p

Aha, it's your birthday today isn't it? Happy birthday : )

Sweet, thank you.

Is there some Pikachu hunting thing I'm not aware of? :O

Sorry, I was referring to the upcoming Pikachu outbreak event in Japan : P

I'll probably just be watching you guys go on a wild adventure.

And hoping you come back with some spares XD

Muku

Happy Birthday Joe! :D

Ahh, I think I'm only one in area of Yokohama for the vent. As far as I know anyway. :eek:

From looking what was posted a page or two back, it sounds like you can get each different named Pikachu once per game, so you can have all location Pikachu in one game cart? If so means I could have up to three sets. (Though not complete, because it sounds like the Pacifico one is only 16th and 17th.)

Happy birthday!

I'm going to take a break, just got started on EV training my bred Pokémon and it's aggrevating as hell. Plus, holding the 2DS one-handed while doing super training is murder on my wrist. Starting to wish I could connect an external controller to my 2DS. :lol

Ahh, I think I'm only one in area of Yokohama for the vent. As far as I know anyway. :eek:

From looking what was posted a page or two back, it sounds like you can get each different named Pikachu once per game, so you can have all location Pikachu in one game cart? If so means I could have up to three sets. (Though not complete, because it sounds like the Pacifico one is only 16th and 17th.)
Mmm, three sets sounds tasty...

Also, dang, Pacifico Pikachu will almost be as rare as Mega Kick Pikachu.

Personally I really like the sound of the "Sea Captain" (せんちょう) Pikachu. I mean, he's already got Surf, right?

I'm going to take a break, just got started on EV training my bred Pokémon and it's aggrevating as hell. Plus, holding the 2DS one-handed while doing super training is murder on my wrist.

Just checking, but do you know about EV training via horde battles?

I find it much easier and quicker than super training. So much that I never touch super training, unless it's to get the last few HP EVs ^^

Personally I really like the sound of the "Sea Captain" (せんちょう) Pikachu. I mean, he's already got Surf, right?

Just checking, but do you know about EV training via horde battles?

I find it much easier and quicker than super training. So much that I never touch super training, unless it's to get the last few HP EVs ^^

I do, but I had no idea it was so effective. Any good guides out there? I'm currently training my Charizard for Speed.

I do, but I had no idea it was so effective. Any good guides out there? I'm currently training my Charizard for Speed.

I used Smogon's guide.

I think the best spot for Speed is Route 8 (Wingulls).

As a note, Attack and Defence are the easiest to raise thanks to Weepinbell and Durant.

Also, definitely invest in the Power items (eg. Power Bracer) if you can!

Breeding Bagon is a pain. Trying to get a HA 31/x/31/31/31/31 one, but it takes a looooong time.
Ugh eggs that take >3 minutes with flame body and o-power :(

If you use 252/252/6 splits use vitamins like so:
Stat 1. Vitamin 10 then 5 hordes 250. 252 DONE
Stat 2. Vitamin 10 then 5 hordes 250. 252 DONE
Stat 3 Vitamin gives last 6.
There you go, 3 fewer battles/no super training. As for money, if you have millions you can afford hundreds of vitamins and what was the purpose of money if there is nothing to buy (you could also go higher than 10 to like 60 to fight 4 hordes instead)?

If going for complicated spreads there are tricks like overshoot and use EV down berries and find single battles (or even hordes power item+wrong EV can work if you use EV down berry*). Basically its all in the planning. If you lack the berries getting the mutations down might take a week (from growth time) then building up stock another week.

*-I sometimes do this when RNG is giving me the wrong hordes.

There used to be a breeding guide in the OP that explained it but this Nugget bridge article will do.

As for power items. They are what really makes it effective. Doing a basic battle maison rounds 1-20 gives 48 BP, 2 of those will give you the BP to buy all 6 of the power items. The real boost to horde training is if you can plan/have patience to train multiple Pokemon at once (it takes a lot of failing super multi battle* to earn the BP for multiples of the same power item) as EXP all gives EVs too.
*-Or similarly succeeding, super rounds >50 give I think 7 BP per battle but it is hard to maintain focus there but some people get into the 100s (my best streak was ~59 and I lost because I forgot I could beat a Draco meteor spaming Latios by using sucker punch...I was watching the replay going "Why didn't I try sucker punch rather than try to survive that?")

Muku

To be honest, not sure if site I'm reading about it is up-to-date or anything. It definitely doesn't have the names. What site you pulling that from, because now I'm curious about the names. :)

Edit: Just got back from my trip to 7-11. One down street (away from station) FINALLY got the Pokemon lottery stuff in. Didn't go to one by station because almost all good stuff was already taken. >< Dropped down for 4 tickets. Love when they have Pokemon ones. Nothing major but got an adorable Pikachu key ring, towel type thing, little Pikachu thing (not sure what it does, haven't looked at it yet), and a 3DS LL case. Really good day for Pokemon, LOL. Ended up before heading home also nabbing a bunch of the newer XY set I hadn't bothered with yet. (Rising Fist) Ended up with a few nice cards in it.

To be honest, not sure if site I'm reading about it is up-to-date or anything. It definitely doesn't have the names. What site you pulling that from, because now I'm curious about the names. :)

This one ^^

PokéBall Pattern Vivillon to be downloadable at Gamescom next month

Sounds fun. I wonder when/if it'll arrive in the US and UK?

EDIT: Also, have you heard any rumours about Diancie in the UK?

Muku

Yes, thank you so much! Even has location you get each which, while I know where some things are, a more precise location within is amazing.

Edit: Yeah, other place I was reading was adding a 6th location which didn't sound right to me.

Edit 2: Hmmm, thinking about maybe hitting Yokohama on 16th or 17th to get all the Pikachu. Contemplating for now. Being able to get 3 full sets would be awesome. Though curious, I imagine it's a Wifi thing right? Does that mean I'd get a wonder card for each Pikachu on each cart?

Yes, thank you so much! Even has location you get each which, while I know where some things are, a more precise location within is amazing.

Edit: Yeah, other place I was reading was adding a 6th location which didn't sound right to me.

Edit 2: Hmmm, thinking about maybe hitting Yokohama on 16th or 17th to get all the Pikachu. Contemplating for now. Being able to get 3 full sets would be awesome. Though curious, I imagine it's a Wifi thing right? Does that mean I'd get a wonder card for each Pikachu on each cart?

It should be a Local Wireless distribution, unless I read wrong. In any case, you will get one Wonder Card for each Pikachu, so five Wonder Cards if you manage to get all five.

You can hold a maximum of 24ish Wonder Card, so I think you should be safe in terms of space.

Speaking of which, I have 4 Wonder Cards atm (GAME Magmar, VGC Mamoswine, Fancy Vivillon and GAME Charizard). But if you're in Japan, you probably have much more, haha.

Muku

It should be a Local Wireless distribution, unless I read wrong. In any case, you will get one Wonder Card for each Pikachu, so five Wonder Cards if you manage to get all five.

You can hold a maximum of 24ish Wonder Card, so I think you should be safe in terms of space.

Speaking of which, I have 4 Wonder Cards atm (GAME Magmar, VGC Mamoswine, Fancy Vivillon and GAME Charizard). But if you're in Japan, you probably have much more, haha.

Awesome. Was more concerned about amount of Wonder Cards. Sure dude was admiring all the Darkrai I had on my JPN copy of X this afternoon, LOL. Just want to make sure I'm good on that front. I'll be getting the Pokeball Vivillon that trip too, but all my copies should be fine then.

So let's count how many I have on my JPN copy right now. Right now I have 8.

- Corocoro Charizard
- my Darkrai
- PC Kangaskhan w/ stone
- GTS Vivillon
- two additional Darkrai (LOL)
- birthday Umbreon
- Diancie

So, the 5 Pikachu + Pokeball Vivillon should still leave me with room.

lupinko

Aha, it's your birthday today isn't it? Happy birthday : )

Sorry, I was referring to the upcoming Pikachu outbreak event in Japan : P

I'll probably just be watching you guys go on a wild adventure.

And hoping you come back with some spares XD

Iirc Pikachu is only limited to Yokohama or maybe Tokyo also, here in Sendai, we won't get Pikachu outbreak but a shiny red star instead. D:

I have 14 or so each on both eshop xy and 3 on my y cart. My X cart has 1 which is a fancy Vivillon.

Feb Gengar x2
Feb Scizor x2 (tho one of the cards was deleted I believe by mistake)
PCBC Gengar x3
PCBC Gyarados x4
PCBC Mawile x3
PCBC Tyranitar x3
PCBC Scizor x3 (one card was wiped I think)
PCBC kangaskhan x2
Corozard
Movie Darkrai
Movie Diancie x3
Fancy Vivillon x4
Event torchic

Muku

Iirc Pikachu is only limited to Yokohama or maybe Tokyo also, here in Sendai, we won't get Pikachu outbreak but a shiny red star instead. D:

I have 14 or so each on both eshop xy and 3 on my y cart. My X cart has 1 which is a fancy Vivillon.

Feb Gengar x2
Feb Scizor x2 (tho one of the cards was deleted I believe by mistake)
PCBC Gengar x3
PCBC Gyarados x4
PCBC Mawile x3
PCBC Tyranitar x3
PCBC Scizor x3 (one card was wiped I think)
PCBC kangaskhan x2
Corozard
Movie Darkrai
Movie Diancie x3
Fancy Vivillon x4
Event torchic

The joys to actually living in town with a PC, haha! :) As far as I know, Tokyo PC isn't getting it either. Pikachu is confined to Yokohama from what I saw from the ads today.

Top Bottom