• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Police In St. Louis County Admit They Beat Up The Wrong Young Black Man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enzom21

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2015/01/17/3612876/police-beat-wrong-person/
http://fox2now.com/2015/01/16/st-ann-police-chief-apologizes-for-mans-mistaken-arrest-injury/
swink-638x415.jpg
ST. ANN, MO (KTVI)-The St. Ann police chief is apologizing after an innocent man was injured and bloodied when he was mistakenly arrested Thursday afternoon. Joseph Swink, 22, is a college junior studying accounting. He was on his way home from an internship at Edward Jones when it all unfolded.

His grandmother, Marettree Sanders, says, “I’m angry. I’m upset. I didn’t sleep last night.”

She didn’t sleep because of what happened to her grandson. The family has a photo showing Joseph’s bloodied face.

Swink said he feared for his life.

“I’m just glad that I’m still here.”

St. Ann police says it was a case of mistaken identity on I-70. St. Ann police were pursuing a suspect wanted for 17 warrants. The suspect’s car crashed and went down into a ditch where he was arrested. The chief says Swink’s car had been clipped by the suspect and also crashed.

When a second police car arrived, the three detectives inside only saw Swink’s car and him running from it. Police assumed the worst.

St. Ann Police Chief Aaron Jimenez said, “Most of the time when you see that you know this is the bad guy. He’s running. Unfortunately, he was a citizen.”

Swink was totally innocent. It turns out he was running from his car because it was filling with smoke.

“This is all we ask of our young men, to do the right thing, become productive citizens in this country and he’s not being given that opportunity because someone has mistaken him for a criminal and that upsets me very much,” said Sanders.

Chief Jimenez said, “I do apologize. As the police chief who runs this city, I do apologize to Mr. Swink that this has happened.”

Joseph Swink said, “There was nobody black on the scene, just a lot of white cops. I didn’t feel safe around them. I think they probably felt they could get away with it because I was and they can do this.”

The police chief responded, “This has zero to do about race.”

He said the three detectives will not be disciplined because they were acting in good faith. Swink said he’s still in pain and needs to return to the doctor. He is considering hiring a lawyer for a civil suit.

St. Louis County police are investigating the incident.
No punishment... surprise surprise. I am curious how beating someone is acting in good faith.
"Oops, wrong negro."

He's gonna get a big amount of money from that civil suit settlement.

I love how "HOLY SHIT HE'S RUNNING KICK THE SHIT OUT OF HIM" is the instant response.

So, because they had good intentions they face no penalty? I know people who would kill to have that kind of work place security.

Hope the guy sues and is compensated, but I really wish he could sue directly, just so there's more accountability, but who am I kidding?

Still can't believe police officers are by and large above the law in every respect. Zero repercussions for ganging up on a completely random person and beating the shit out of them.

This is why Ferguson became a thing.

This is decades of stuff like this.

And Diet Racists wonder "omg why don't ppl on Ferguson just get a job and get a life!! i'm tired of hearing about this!!!!"

esms

Some say all black people look alike. We don't get bent out of shape. We normally just call those people ''police,'' okay? Just learn to live with it. That's all I can tell you.

- Dave Chappelle, For What It's Worth

“This is all we ask of our young men, to do the right thing, become productive citizens in this country and he’s not being given that opportunity because someone has mistaken him for a criminal and that upsets me very much,” said Sanders.

Good quote from Grandma

Patryn

So, because they had good intentions they face no penalty? I know people who would kill to have that kind of work place security.

Hope the guy sues and is compensated, but I really wish he could sue directly, just so there's more accountability, but who am I kidding?

Wonder if they're not being punished because of the incoming civil suit. Punishing the officers would indicate that the department knew what they did was wrong, and probably could be used against it. By not punishing them, the department isn't admitting any wrong-doing.

Same reason a lot of people say that you shouldn't apologize in a lot of cases, because it's the same as you admitting fault.

Welp..they can't take THIS away!!! :(

Take the fucks to court. Look at this man. He looks like they finished him off with a brillo pad..I tell you.

commedieu

Banned
Welp..they can't take THIS away!!! :(

Take the fucks to court. Look at this man. He looks like they finished him off with a brillo pad..I tell you.

dudes wearing a tie and a nice shirt too..

Just goes to show you, it doesn't matter how you appear. The black skin is the dead giveaway 99% of th, 100% of the time.

Blair

Banned
Yeah but was the smoke from the car accident, or from the many marijuanas that were no doubt ablaze in the vehicle? Take him down boys!

andycapps

He was probably giving the officers furtive glances as he ran away.

But seriously, I hope he files a civil suit and wins.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
What the fuck at those injuries. I'm assuming based on the article that was caused all by the cops and not the car "accident".

Dude was coming back from his internship at an accounting firm too :(

Wonder if they're not being punished because of the incoming civil suit. Punishing the officers would indicate that the department knew what they did was wrong, and probably could be used against it. By not punishing them, the department isn't admitting any wrong-doing.

Same reason a lot of people say that you shouldn't apologize in a lot of cases, because it's the same as you admitting fault.

Yeah which is another problem with our society, but that's just personal opinion.

Enzom21

fitting the description doesn't = Green light to be beaten by police.
This piece of shit chief is pretty much saying it does. "Good faith"
Law enforcement in the US is fantastic.

What the fuck at those injuries. I'm assuming based on the article that was caused all by the cops and not the car "accident".

Dude was coming back from his internship at an accounting firm too :(
I don't think he was injured by the crash at all. Those are all from the "good faith" beating.

Imagine the shit these departments got up to in the decades prior with minorities. At least today there's a marginal possibility for corrupt, asshole cops to be publicly shamed for their behaviour.

This story makes my blood boil...I should expect these every day it seems.

I'm so glad the protests are still happening...

I seriously hope he sues them penniless....

You are not alone..

I don't know, my thoughts are this: People shouldn't lie, but obviously it happens. Our society though seems to ding everyone for being honest (This doesn't apply here, the police were clearly in the wrong.). There's also so much more risk in being honest or even vocalizing your concerns.

Instead of principles, we now play the arguing game with one another with the courts deciding who's hand was last in the cookie jar as it were. As stupid as it sounds, we're a society all flash and little substance at the moment. We're too busy being offended instead of trying to build a bridge of understanding.

I'm not great at expressing how I feel exactly, but I hope this made sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom