• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Police In St. Louis County Admit They Beat Up The Wrong Young Black Man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rembrandt

Banned
Sigh, it's so sad that things like these aren't even surprising anymore. It's not shocking and I don't hear about it thinking the cops will get in trouble. It's the same thing every single time. It's such a weird feeling.

TheJLC

Seriously, wth...in good faith?

I understand detaining him because he might be the suspect, but beating the crap out of him? That's BS.

Hold up. Dude got his car hit by the suspect, wants to get away from a car filling with smoke and oh hey, probably the cops and robbers situation going on there, and the police jump him?

And somehow they didn't you know, stop and think? Or talk? Maybe be sure the person they were fucking up wasn't already an innocent bystander?

Two Words

The police chief is literally saying it would be okay for the cops to beat up a suspect like this. The apology is worthless.

ffdgh

The police chief responded, “This has zero to do about race.

He said the three detectives will not be disciplined because they were acting in good faith.

Had zero to do with race and they acting in good faith. Riiight.... They really did a number on his face.

jay

If this guy were the actual guy they were going for, I am unconvinced this wouldn't be police brutality.

I swear I fucking hate the police.
And, to clarify, J10 means ALL OF THEM. Just getting it out of the way..
cops-the-animated-series-20060227103349192-000.jpg

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Being a minority, the abundance of these kinds of things being reported makes me terrified to ever enter the US for a vacation.

danm999

I'd hate to see what would have constituted "bad faith" on the part of these officers.

Very disturbing story. An innocent man is assaulted to a degree that honestly, shouldn't even occur against an actual suspect.

esms

I'd hate to see what would have constituted "bad faith" on the part of these officers.

Very disturbing story. An innocent man is assaulted to a degree that honestly, shouldn't even occur against an actual suspect.

Bad faith = getting shot.

Police Chief: "Whoops."

Hold up. Dude got his car hit by the suspect, wants to get away from a car filling with smoke and oh hey, probably the cops and robbers situation going on there, and the police jump him?

And somehow they didn't you know, stop and think? Or talk? Maybe be sure the person they were fucking up wasn't already an innocent bystander?
See blacky. Attack 1st. Ask questions later.

Blader

He's gonna get a big amount of money from that civil suit settlement.

This kind of really baffles me about institutional racism among law enforcement. It's not like police departments are flush with cash. Why aren't police chiefs, like, severely cracking down on racial profiling and drilling into their officers' heads when the end result is a civil suit that eats hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of dollars out of their bottom line?

I can understand their disregard for the moral/ethical implications of police racism, but the money element is so fucking obvious, why is that not a bigger priority for the people in charge?

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
I read these things a few time a week and react in disbelief on such a consistent bases. I'm wondering right now if this is all part of the norm now and everyone else has a similar reaction and its just generally accepted that this is how things are. It really depresses me when I stare at the reality of the situation and compare it to the outlook of things actually improving. In the back of my mind, my real fear is that it may be my turn next.

Stories like this must be bone chilling for black people in that area. It basically announces to the whole community that being a law abiding, job holding, tax paying citizen is totally irrelevant if you have some chance encounter with the cops at the wrong time. You can be beat the fuck down like a common criminal if you're black and "fit the description" (black male, 12-60)
Talk about a failure of the social contract and all around nice environment to raise a family in.

spookyfish

[The police chief] said the three detectives will not be disciplined because they were acting in good faith.

Wow. Okay.

I just figured they weren't being disciplined because, you know, police officers.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I guess I don't get why they aren't punished for clearly abusing the guy's face. I mean, is this much force needed to arrest someone?

I guess I don't get why they aren't punished for clearly abusing the guy's face. I mean, is this much force needed to arrest someone?

Well he might be a high level Nigjutsu user. How would you fight someone who has mastered dehumanizing stare and aggressive step?!

boiled goose

good with gravy
Innocence is irrelevant. They can't beat people.

Fucking hell.
#notallcops

Any cop in that Department that tolerates this is a piece of shit.

JDSN

Banned
Dude was even wearing a tie which as we minorities know gives us a +5 Protection for getting fucked up by the Police.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Stories like this must be bone chilling for black people in that area. It basically announces to the whole community that being a law abiding, job holding, tax paying citizen is totally irrelevant if you have some chance encounter with the cops at the wrong time. You can be beat the fuck down like a common criminal if you're black and "fit the description" (black male, 12-60)
Talk about a failure of the social contract and all around nice environment to raise a family in.

It's incredibly terrifying.

I didn't catch the acting in good faith comment earlier. That's completely fucked up.

krazen

The police chief is literally saying it would be okay for the cops to beat up a suspect like this. The apology is worthless.

And that's the elephant in the room; if you're a suspect, you're allowed to get your ass beat.

Meanwhile, in civilized countries across the world their police force is able to arrest suspects, even those acting like assholes at the time, without treating their bodies like a piñata.

The cops SHOULD be disciplined: even if he was a suspected murderer your job as a professional is to bring him in as you found him, not qork out rage issues

leakey

Good faith? Riiiiiight. From the photo, it sure looks like they were acting in good faith and showing a whole lot of restraint.

Bgamer90

Banned
Anyone else noticed in the video at about 1:44 how he was seemingly about to say "What's his name?" (and/or it simply appearing as if he couldn't think of Swink's name?)

That + the cops not getting punished makes me believe that they really couldn't care less about Swink's injuries.

I mean, cops should be punished for mistaken arrests but if they aren't and the mistaken person is fine (no harm) then okay... but this though? His face was bloody and is bruised but no punishment? It's "whatever"/"good faith"?

Seriously?

Not shooting the negro=Good faith

Well done, police. You sure make me feel safe at night. Just fantastic work who've done lately.

I'll buy ya a round of Diet Racists. Or do you want the regular version?

xnipx

So basically the chief is admitting that police brutality occurs during regular arrests on the RIGHT suspects and is cool?

zaxon

Racial outrage based off a local TV news report with very few details? These never turn out to be more than they--

Swink suffered cuts and bruises to his face during the incident. He wouldn’t say how his injuries occurred but wants St. Ann to cover his medical bills and put money toward a new car. He said the 2001 Chevrolet Malibu he was driving was totaled.

Swink, a junior accounting major at the University of Missouri-St. Louis, said he does not have health insurance. He said he was driving home from his internship at Edward Jones Investments in West St. Louis County at the time of the crash.

Oh. Yeah, uhm. That don't look good.

The rest of the chief's comments that were not included in the thorough 90 second local tv news clip:

Swink “gets out and runs toward the back of the car, so they grab him, toss him on the ground,” Jimenez said. “They didn’t Tase him. They didn’t use batons. They didn’t kick him in the face. They definitely put him on the ground and were trying to get handcuffs on him while he’s squirming around. And he’s resisting arrest because he’s trying to tell the police that it’s not him.”

Jimenez says he believes Swink was injured by his own car’s air bag during the crash, though Jimenez acknowledged the scuffle with police could have aggravated any facial wounds. As soon as the officers realized Swink was not the fleeing driver, they uncuffed him and offered medical treatment, Jimenez said.

Rest of the article.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom