• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Police In St. Louis County Admit They Beat Up The Wrong Young Black Man

Status
Not open for further replies.
Racial outrage based off a local TV news report with very few details? These never turn out to be more than they--

Oh. Yeah, uhm. That don't look good.

The rest of the chief's comments that were not included in the thorough 90 second local tv news clip:

Rest of the article.

Yes, let's take the police version of events at face value. That's always the way to go.

wildfire

Banned
I wonder how much of those injuries came from the crash. It's inexcusable that the police would say it's ok to beat up a suspect but those injuries are so far beyond what you could expect from capturing anyone you outnumber 3 to 1. If they are caused by their actions that's infuriating.

JDSN

Banned
Racial outrage based off a local TV news report with very few details? These never turn out to be more than they--

Oh. Yeah, uhm. That don't look good.

The rest of the chief's comments that were not included in the thorough 90 second local tv news clip:

Rest of the article.

He was no angel while being arrested and for having no health insurance. Im glad we can count on the "other side of the story" to talk about never jumping to conclusions while making problematic non-committal hints about the situation.

I wonder how much of those injuries came from the crash. It's inexcusable that the police would say it's ok to beat up a suspect but those injuries are so far beyond what you could expect from capturing anyone you outnumber 3 to 1. If they are caused by their actions that's infuriating.
You are giving the police far too much credit.

It's a blessing he's not dead.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon

Unless the image was flipped, those injuries look to be on the right side of his face. You would think that as a driver in a car crash, you would be more prone to injuries to the front of your face or the left side given the proximity of the windows, steering wheel, etc. But I guess you never know what crap may fly out at you and from where either.

I'm still trying to figure out how you beat the shit out of someone "in good faith". That literally makes no sense. It's a completely incorrect use of the phrase "in good faith".

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Well, you're a complete fool if you think an airbag can't mess up your face in a car accident, don't know what else to tell you.
You're a complete fool if you think that facial injuries on the side of the face are from an airbag. Keep up that downplaying through, it'll work out well for you.

I'm still trying to figure out how you beat the shit out of someone "in good faith". That literally makes no sense. It's a completely incorrect use of the phrase "in good faith".

Simple! It's quite clear they feel this is within the acceptable boundaries of their job and is not citizen abuse because it was an accident. When it's an accident, it's always in good faith and we know they won't let it happen again!

"Well, he was black and trying to avoid police officers, your honor."

"But black people have no reason to avoid police officers! Aren't you there to protect them?"

"Yes sir your honor, which is why we had to beat him to remind him of that fact."

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Before I say, fuck the police, do we know what kind of super powers this man had? The cops might have saved lives.

ciridesu

You're a complete fool if you think that facial injuries on the side of the face are from an airbag. Keep up that downplaying through, it'll work out well for you.

If this getaway situation happened on a highway as per the news reports with both cars crashing off lane, then it's quite reasonable to assume that the bruises/injuries mostly came from the crash. Especially if the person in question also doesn't refute that assumption and doesn't claim he was 'beat up'.

"His car was also totaled in the accident."

http://stlouis.suntimes.com/stl-news/7/139/68305/st-ann-police-arrest-wrong-man/

I really don't understand where the title is coming from considering there's no evidence of such. Yeah the cops were shit and screwed up, the guy deserves to sue them and get paid accordingly, but based on the available information, this is just blowing ineptness out of proportion.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
What am I downplaying?

The point I was addressing was the 'batteries and rocks' comment, which makes it sound like airbags are good fluffy fun. That's foolish, airbags mess people up all the time.

Frog-fu

Banned
I'm assuming Swink knew better than to resist arrest (a term the meaning of which I am aware is often stretched and twisted to justify misconduct) so my question is: how in hell did a simple case of mistaken identity escalate to, judging from the injuries sustained, a vicious and prolonged beating?

If the police aren't held accountable, then the apology is fake. If that happened to me, I would be more concerned with these dangerous white guys getting punished for what they did instead of getting an empty PR apology.

If the police aren't held accountable, then the apology is fake. If that happened to me, I would be more concerned with these dangerous white guys getting punished for what they did instead of getting an empty PR apology.

And this is the MAIN issue. Yes, there are bad cops, but the policies and way things are handled make them have zero accountability. To those who ARE bad in the system, why should they care about their conduct if there is no harsh penalty for it? Things need to be looked at with a fine tooth comb and rethought. BOTH sides should be considered.

I'm not even sure it can be fixed with what we have since change can take so long to occur.

sue the pigs for all their worth. dude should be able to retire off what he'll clean up in civil court. im so tired of police in this country, their such a fucking disgrace. i dont even care about #notallpolice, if your a good person then just pick a different community service type of profession that doesnt victimize communities.

boiled goose

good with gravy
sue the pigs for all their worth. dude should be able to retire off what he'll clean up in civil court. im so tired of police in this country, their such a fucking disgrace. i dont even care about #notallpolice, if your a good person then just pick a different community service type of profession that doesnt victimize communities.

I don't like the idea of taxpayers having to pay for this everytime and making police Departmentments even more poor. Iindividuals need to be held accountable to change the culture.

I don't like the idea of taxpayers having to pay for this everytime and making police Departmentments even more poor. Iindividuals need to be held accountable to change the culture.

Taxpayers need to force a change in the policy. Too many defend this shit because they either don't like or are afraid of Black people. Or so centered on their own experience they can't fathom that others would have a different perspective.

Log4Girlz

I bet he complied with officers and was completely peaceful so he was rewarded with a beating, otherwise he would have likely been shot, you know, in good faith. Despicable. It's so sad to say he's lucky if anything. Fucking cops man.

Taxpayers need to force a change in the policy. Too many defend this shit because they either don't like or are afraid of Black people. Or so centered on their own experience they can't fathom that others would have a different perspective.

Or they're fine with their tax dollars paying off people that this happens to if it means maintaining the status quo.

Did they ever catch the guy they were chasing?

Yes they did he was in a ditch at the scene because he hit the guy's car that was assaulted by the detectives.

And this is the MAIN issue. Yes, there are bad cops, but the policies and way things are handled make them have zero accountability. To those who ARE bad in the system, why should they care about their conduct if there is no harsh penalty for it? Things need to be looked at with a fine tooth comb and rethought. BOTH sides should be considered.

I'm not even sure it can be fixed with what we have since change can take so long to occur.

Funny thing is change has occurred. Police used to do stuff like this because they could. Things have gotten better even though police rarely get punished for bs like this and killing innocent people at least they cannot just randomly hang innocent people from tree's and or shoot them because of the color of their skin. All this is just an effect of the US past sins and the mass incarceration that has caused the US to have the largest prison populations in the world.

diaspora

"We beat the utter shit out of someone but nobody gets punished because it was in good faith."

I can't imagine fucking up so royally on the job and keeping it because I had the right intentions.

-beat up the wrong guy (who happens to be black ,nothing to do with race though pinky swear ...)
-calling beating up a suspect 'in good faith' (fml)
-suggesting the criminal they were after is no longer a citizen (wow)

so much wrong , condensed into this super concentrated ball of racism , disregard for other human beings and for the 'protect' part of their job description

its not like the kid can sue the specific officers considering theyre protected by the department and their union. his only option is going after the city/department for settlement. so dont blame the tax payers for the asinine cops.

Yes they did he was in a ditch at the scene because he hit the guy's car that was assaulted by the detectives.

Funny thing is change has occurred. Police used to do stuff like this because they could. Things have gotten better even though police rarely get punished for bs like this and killing innocent people at least they cannot just randomly hang innocent people from tree's and or shoot them because of the color of their skin. All this is just an effect of the US past sins and the mass incarceration that has caused the US to have the largest prison populations in the world.

Yes they still can. You are just privileged enough that you live somewhere that you don't have to see it. Mass incarceration is no past sin. It's very alive and well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom