• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2011: Of Weiners, Boehners, Santorum, and Teabags

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amir0x said:
no i'm doing the don't hide behind the social construct of marriage to try to define something as morally reprehensible. And I'm going to further one up it by saying if you're going to try to insult me and then go further by not showing the respect to actually bother contributing, you'll be removed from this thread faster than you could say "another spineless liberal who cannot follow his political positions to their logical conclusion."
I find it to be a sad and nihilistic philosophy. I'm not sure why banning me is your response to that observation. I'm addressing the argument, you happen to disagree...isn't that a discussion? I am not hiding behind anything. The social construct of marriage involves an exchange of vows and promises between two people. If you want to define away the integrity of a bond between two people as meaningless as a result of base biological impulses, that's your philosophy and you're welcome to it. I disagree with the entire premise that morality is not involved when discussing fidelity to another person to whom one has made a committment. Am I not allowed to do that without you threatening to ban me?

mckmas8808 said:
Ami cheating on your wife is not being a man. It's being a little bitch! If he wanted to phone sex hoes all over the country then he should have taken the Derek Jeter route and never got married.

Wow. Bet there are plenty of "lil bitches" in your life.

Not taking up for the act of adultery, but come off it. With all the shitty things we do to each other, and the ones we love, adultery is the one thing people can be high and mighty about because everyone can be a saint; until they're caught.

A real man doesn't cheat on his wife. Call me old fashioned or whatever the fuck, but there are general moral principles when it comes to relationships. Statistics don't prove anything here: regardless of whether a large amount of men cheat, that doesn't make it right. A lot of men don't take care of their children either, yet a real father would not site those numbers to justify being a deadbeat.

Weiner is no John Edwards, but cheating* on your pregnant wife is pretty high on the POS meter.

*We don't know whether he physically cheated, or was only sending pictures and explicit messages. Given how blatant his behavior was, there's no doubt in my mind he sexed up someone.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
TacticalFox88 said:
When are we gonna move on from Wiener? What's done is done. He's already resigned and as such we should move on.
Nah, somebody needs to rage on how others still believe in monogamy first. :p

ToxicAdam

mckmas8808 said:
Ami cheating on your wife is not being a man. It's being a little bitch! If he wanted to phone sex hoes all over the country then he should have taken the Derek Jeter route and never got married.

In the real world, people change after they get married. I know this might be a difficult concept for you to grasp onto.

Commutes and not seeing your significant other can drive even more of a wedge into a marriage.

Real men, real husbands... REAL AMERICANS.

I have my own moral positions on infidelity, but I suppose I'm mature enough to realize that there is a entire suite of reasons that leads to cheating within marriages. None of those reasons have much to do with someone's ability to govern.

I still find it hilarious that people pull out "she was pregnant" ::gasp::: or "she was ill" , oh no!!! People do realize that those situations typically precipitate infidelity cause they lead to really stressful times in a marriage, right?

Amir0x

Banned
elrechazao said:
I find it to be a sad and nihilistic philosophy. I'm not sure why banning me is your response to that observation. I'm addressing the argument, you happen to disagree...isn't that a discussion? I am not hiding behind anything. The social construct of marriage involves an exchange of vows and promises between two people. If you want to define away the integrity of a bond between two people as meaningless as a result of base biological impulses, that's your philosophy and you're welcome to it. I disagree with the entire premise that morality is not involved when discussing fidelity to another person to whom one has made a committment. Am I not allowed to do that without you threatening to ban me?

No, you can disagree and think it nihilistic all you want. What is poor form, and what is being raged about, is the dismissive, reductive posting response to a greatly detailed and supported post that YOU actually prompted with your initial inflammatory post.

If you are going to contribute to the conversation, contribute. I have no problem with you disagreeing with me. in fact I only like participating in conversations where people disagree with me because I learn things. What isn't kosher is that reductive garbage posting you just did wherein instead of actually responding to the points raised - which included links, statistical backup - you just go to further the reductive vomit posting by roundly ignoring everything and just making a sardonic quip.

polyh3dron said:
Either a teatard nutjob like that Alaskan republican senate candidate Whatshisface, or some idiot lapdog plucked out of obscurity.

Michelle is crazy, but politically she is savvy. My guess would be she would try to moderate out the ticket.

And for a moment I thought people were talking about Michelle Obama winning the nomination is 2016...

TacticalFox88 said:
When are we gonna move on from Wiener? What's done is done. He's already resigned and as such we should move on.
Catchy phrase. Perhaps you can start a political movement based on it to get people focused back on the challenges at hand. Oh wait . . . ;-)

GhaleonEB said:
I hope he's asked about that tweet at the next debate. T-Paw will say something along the lines of how he was responding to a tweet someone else made, wasn't insulting that tall intimidating man standing next to me please don't hurt me ohgod

TPaw's dead in the nominationp process.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I still believe in monogamy...

Personally I think a man who thinks with his Dick isn't smart enough to govern or leaf much of anything. How did weiner not think he would get caught? He was a congressman for goodness sakes! Stuff like that could never stay a secret. How, then could I trust him to make rational decisions elsewhere?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
AlteredBeast said:

Personally I think a man who thinks with his Dick isn't smart enough to govern or leaf much of anything. How did weiner not think he would get caught? He was a congressman for goodness sakes! Stuff like that could never stay a secret. How, then could I trust him to make rational decisions elsewhere?
obviously you are 100% perfect or 100% flawed.

AlteredBeast said:

this can extend to so many politicians who committed far worse things yet still stayed in office and were considered smart enough to lead/govern

AlteredBeast said:

I don't understand why the popular perception is that people committed to an institution as irrational as marriage are likely to make better decisions.

ToxicAdam

AlteredBeast said:

Monogamy is not the natural state of man.

There are billions of people in this world who do good work and do not let their personal lives (or the bad decisions they make in them) infringe on that. Do you have any proof that Weiner was bad at his job? Was Bill Clinton or JFK bad at their job?

Opiate

ToxicAdam said:
Monogamy is not the natural state of man.

From what I've read, it varies. For a minority of man, it is the natural state. For most, it isn't. For some, polygamy is natural. For others, it may be no marriage at all, just a variety of short term partners.

I'd add that there are lots of things that we do in nature that we don't do any longer, and often for good reason. Saying something "isn't natural" doesn't make it a bad idea. Whether monogamy should be one of those don't-follow-nature things is the question; I think polyamory should be acceptable.

Jackson50

Suikoguy said:
In other news:
The Senate has voted to end about $6 billion in taxpayer subsidies for the ethanol industry. The vote on an amendment was 73 to 27.

Under the amendment, co-sponsored by Sens. Tom Coburn, R-Okla., and Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., refiners would lose the 45-cent-a-gallon subsidy, and the 54-cent-per-gallon tariff on imported ethanol from Brazil and other countries would be eliminated, Reuters writes.

Backing the repeal were 33 Republicans, 38 Democrats and both of the chamber's independents, who caucus with Democrats, The Hill reports. Voting to keep the tax breaks were 14 Republicans and 13 Democrats.

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...ol-subsidies/1]
Hey, the Senate worked. And it was outside of a lame duck session! In all seriousness, this is quality legislation. Hopefully, in conjunction with the pressing matter of cotton subsidies, they will consider removing additional agricultural subsidies, quotas, etc. Furthermore, while only a minor issue, this will please Brazil and further bilateral relations.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
ChoklitReign said:
This article is going to make your head spin and explode.

Its thesis? Fox News and Druge are MODERATE.

http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/wa...1/06/16/book-liberal-media-distorts-news-bias
"Fox News is clearly more conservative than ABC, CBS, CNN, NBC and National Public Radio. Some will conclude that 'therefore, this means that Fox News has a conservative bias,'" he writes in an advance copy provided to Washington Whispers. "Instead, maybe it is centrist, and possibly even left-leaning, while all the others are far left. It's like concluding that six-three is short just because it is short compared to professional basketball players."
What's more, he says, "this point illustrates a common misconception about the Drudge Report. According to my analysis, the Drudge Report is approximately the most fair, balanced, and centrist news outlet in the United States. Yet, the overwhelming majority of media commentators claim that it has a conservative bias. The problem, I believe, is that such commentators mistake relative bias for absolute bias. Yes, the Drudge Report is more conservative than the average U.S. news outlet. But it is a logical mistake to use that to infer that it is based on an absolute scale."
Embarrassing that this guy is a professor at UCLA.

Opiate said:
From what I've read, it varies. For a minority of man, it is the natural state. For most, it isn't. For some, polygamy is natural. For others, it may be no marriage at all, just a variety of short term partners.

I'd add that there are lots of things that we do in nature that we don't do any longer, and often for good reason. Saying something "isn't natural" doesn't make it a bad idea. Whether monogamy should be one of those don't-follow-nature things is the question; I think polyamory should be acceptable.

I think this is all true.

XMonkey said:

Yet, the overwhelming majority of media commentators claim that it has a conservative bias. The problem, I believe, is that such commentators mistake relative bias for absolute bias. Yes, the Drudge Report is more conservative than the average U.S. news outlet. But it is a logical mistake to use that to infer that it is based on an absolute scale."
Absolute bias?

This is not a scientific endeavor where where this an absolute zero temperature or an absolute fastest speed such as the speed of light.

If he wants to broaden the scale and include the rest of the world's free press, Drudge & Fox would only come off as being even more right wing.

UCLA political science professor Tim Groseclose in Left Turn claims that "all" mainstream news outlets have a liberal bias in their reporting that makes even moderate organizations appear out of the mainstream and decidedly right-wing to news consumers who are influenced by the slant.
Well, this makes perfect sense if you agree with . . . . say it with me now . . . "Reality has a well-known left-wing bias"! Seriously . . . that is what he appears to be saying.

Gallbaro

Banned
Jackson50 said:
Hey, the Senate worked. And it was outside of a lame duck session! In all seriousness, this is quality legislation. Hopefully, in conjunction with the pressing matter of cotton subsidies, they will consider removing additional agricultural subsidies, quotas, etc. Furthermore, while only a minor issue, this will please Brazil and further bilateral relations.

Bigger news than that dirtbag Weiner.

Opiate said:

I personally don't mind either way. I'm fine with monogamy, but a really good friend of mine tried marriage twice, and just decided it doesn't work with him, which is fine.

That said I do think you can still involve being honest as part of it. I also think being non-monogamous does open one up potential to claims of being skeezy, but that's mostly from just have sex with skanks, junkies, etc, and isn't something that is a guarantee to happen or likely.

I guess I'm saying I don't mind as much as long as people show respect, honesty, and well not dumpster diving.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
ChoklitReign said:

http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/wa...1/06/16/book-liberal-media-distorts-news-bias

Wow, that's the most revolting article I've read all week. This is why political discussions will always be a headache. Because shitheels like that writer consistently shift the political spectrum to the right. Pretty soon believing the Earth is round will be a liberal only domain.

Oblivion said:
Wow, that's the most revolting article I've read all week. This is why political discussions will always be a headache. Because shitheels like that writer consistently shift the political spectrum to the right. Pretty soon believing the Earth is round will be a liberal only domain.
Um....about that....

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
XMonkey said:

My favorite part is that his conclusion includes the word "Maybe."

Instead, maybe it is centrist, and possibly even left-leaning, while all the others are far left.

Also, I could see Drudge Report being called 'centrist' if they purely analyze the headlines and completely ignore the font size, color, and position of the story on the page.

Oh, and the sirens.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Amir0x said:
because, and this is a general rule, it looks a lot better politically to be married. The public at large has been shown to often look a bit suspect at politicians who are at a certain age and still not married, it has even been polled to show this in past years.
If that was/is the case then shouldn't Weiner take most of the responsibility for faking a marriage?

ChoklitReign said:

Trying to understand it requires walking the line on letting your brain fall out due to open mindedness.

This twat has been trolling on this for years. The concept of the scale is based on the Senate. Specifically the ADA report card. Original article is from 2005 so I went and looked at 2004 scores.

Blanche Lincoln 95
Bayh 90
Landrieu 85

Inhofe 10
Santorum 15
Bunning 15

The score is based on 20 votes and they acknowledge the limitations of it in the list. But this is the Rosetta Stone of politics. The thing that says 3 Moderate/Corporate Democrats are 10% away from perfect Liberalism while 3 lunatic Republicans are actually a bit further, 13.3%, away from the inverse. How they get from there to the media is this.

Michelle Bachman's Husband:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...ann-s-first-dude-husband-marcus-bachmann.html

Marcus, a Christian counselor, believes in a “homosexual agenda” and has referred to gays as “barbarians.” David Graham reports.

That’s hard to reconcile with other statements he’s made, however. “Barbarians need to be educated, they need to be disciplined, and just because someone feels it or thinks it, doesn’t mean we need to go down that road,” he said while discussing homosexuality during the radio interview. “We have a responsibility as parents and authority figures not to encourage such thoughts and feelings.”

I think Democrats should vote for Bachman in any caucuses/primaries they can.

GhaleonEB

Amir0x said:
Link

Others roughly put the figure at 30~60%. The point is, humans aren't mean to be caged in marriages. They do it because they were taught to in the society they were raised in. That it was something to aspire to. And that, ultimately, it's a good political decision for someone who is in politics.
I wouldn't say we're "meant" to be with just one person, or that we're "meant" to be with more than one, post-marriage. I don't think you can use the data you posted and conclude "humans aren't mean to be caged in marriages". One could just as easily use the same data to argue that people get married for the wrong reasons (which you touched on), at the wrong time, how modern society makes many marriages unworkable or easily splinter. I don't think everyone should be married, and about half of the people who do marry do so at the wrong time and for the wrong reasons. Which is why about half of all marriages end in divorce and have adultery as a component of them.

I'm biased, of course, since I've been married 11 years and am very happy in it. But I married the right person at the right time for the right reasons, and I wanted to get and stay married. Zap just one of those factors and you've got the other half of the coin.
cartoon_soldier said:
Not to mention that is only US statistics.
That, too.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Byakuya769 said:
Wow. Bet there are plenty of "lil bitches" in your life.

Not taking up for the act of adultery, but come off it. With all the shitty things we do to each other, and the ones we love, adultery is the one thing people can be high and mighty about because everyone can be a saint; until they're caught.
Then may be there are. And if I cheated on my wife it'll be a bitch move on my part. Fidelity is one of the top 3 things that matter in a marriage imo.

GhaleonEB said:
I wouldn't say we're "meant" to be with one or more people. I'd argue you can't use the data you posted and conclude "humans aren't mean to be caged in marriages". One could just as easily argue that people get married for the wrong reasons (which you touched on), at the wrong time, how modern society makes many marriages unworkable or easily splinter. Me, I'd argue that not everyone should be married, and that about half of the people who do marry do so at the wrong time and for the wrong reasons. Which is why about half of all marriagtes end in divorce and have adulty as a component of them.

I'm biased, of course, since I've been married 11 years and am very happy in it. But I married the right person at the right time for the right reasons, and I wanted to get married. Zap just one of those factors and you've got the other half of the coin.

Not to mention that is only US statistics.

cartoon_soldier said:
Michelle Bachman's Husband:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...ann-s-first-dude-husband-marcus-bachmann.html

I think Democrats should vote for Bachman in any caucuses/primaries they can.

I really dislike this type of thinking. The get the worst candidate nominated idea for two reasons, the disturbing chance the person may win, and I'd rather have the better candidate nominated. Because even if my candidate doesn't win, I don't want some batshit crazy loony nominee running the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom