• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2011: Of Weiners, Boehners, Santorum, and Teabags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Jane Hamsher said:
You gotta feel sorry for the guy. His most ardent supporters are the dumbest motherfuckers in the world, and they don’t realize he thinks they are digging his political grave.

:O

Dude Abides

Banned
Bulbo Urethral Baggins said:
I'm a little uncomfortable saying my exact job, but I'm a molecular biologist. (I can't be that stupid, right?)
Thanks for your replies. I must admit that I'm not really upset about getting a pay freeze. I often feel guilty for the pay I do get in these tough times. I think federal salaries have far exceeded the private sector. I just think there is some hypocrisy in Obama's handling/viewpoint of unionized public workers vs non-unionized public workers. Am I wrong?
And I'm just messing about my tanning at work. My workplace doesn't even have a window in it. I get my sun on the weekends.

You're not wrong at all. Of course the boss will treat you better if you're in a union. That's why you should be in a union.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Here we go! I bet this was corporate culture across News Corp. Looks like a shady company.

Someone explain this to me....

Republicans distrust government right? Its too big, they meddle too much, theyre incompetent bureaucrats etc.

....so shouldnt they be 100% in favor of unions that can challenge the power of the dysfunctional government...?

jamesinclair said:

Republicans distrust government right? Its too big, they meddle too much, theyre incompetent bureaucrats etc.

....so shouldnt they be 100% in favor of unions that can challenge the power of the dysfunctional government...?
Circular logic. It's like the deficit. They want to solve the deficit. K, cool. You need revenue to fix a deficit. They want to lower taxes. Less taxes=less revenue. Less revenue=deficit never solved.

Oblivion

jamesinclair said:

Big gubment = big unions.

Chichikov

jamesinclair said:

Many think it's too big but they're not against the government as a concept or believe that it's inherently evil.
At least they didn't used to.
But that was before they decided to base their entire entire ideology on one Reagan quote taken out of context (he was taking about a specific situation, "In this present crisis")

Clevinger

TacticalFox88 said:
You know your party fucked up if Donald is calling you a fool.

Not really, when you read what he's calling them a fool about.

he told Greta van Susteren, were “making Obama look so great it’s incredible,” because “it looks as if they’re folding,” both on raising the debt ceiling as well as other concessions.

So, they're fools because they showed an extremely vague hint of responsibility.

Rubenov

Clevinger said:
Not really, when you read what he's calling them a fool about.

So, they're fools because they showed an extremely vague hint of responsibility.

Instead of responsibility, I would call it blind and dangerous allegiance to a failed concept.

Jackson50

The UNAMA released its Mid-year Report on Protection of Civilians in Armed Conflict today. The data are disappointing. Conflict-related civilian deaths increased by 15% in the first half of 2011 to 1,462 civilian deaths; 1,170 deaths were caused by anti-government forces ( The Taliban, al-Qa'ida, Haqqani network, et al.). A further 204 deaths were caused by pro-government forces; this includes Afghan and ISAF forces. 368 civlians perished in May making it the deadliest month since the UNAMA began documenting civilian deaths in 2007. 360 civlians perished in June. June was also a record month for security incidents and IED attacks.

There are a few reasons for the increased violence. With an expanding role for Afghan forces, anti-government forces are hoping to exploit their inexperience; additionally, they want to further destabilize the government and inhibit any nascent political reconciliation. And I think this is another indication that reconciliation is a pipe dream. It is a phantom panacea.
besada said:
I kinda miss watching Ford fall down. We need more clumsy Presidents. It's been awhile since anyone vomited in a dignitary's lap or took a truly impressive fall.
The last incidents I recall were Bush falling off a Segway and choking on a pretzel. And the latter incident was in private. We only saw the consequences. Unfortunately.
Incognito said:
lol! pray tell, how did rove's enduring permanent republican majority end up? and 2002 wasn't historic at all when you consider the fact that bush lost the popular vote in 2000, and uh, 9/11.
That is one of the limitations of microtargeting. If the fundamentals are detrimental, then it is practically irrelevant. And the fundamentals for 2006 and 2008 were atrocious. Consequently, Republicans suffered terrible losses.

jamesinclair said:

The way they see it as far as public employees are concerned, the unions and collective bargaining rights are taking away more from our tax dollars. Remove those two things, and less of our tax money goes to public employees. Government as the big boogeyman doesn't feature in the union vs employer debate.

Replace our tax dollars with corporate profits in the first sentence and it's suitable for private employees vs corporations.

RustyNails said:
The way they see it as far as public employees are concerned, the unions and collective bargaining rights are taking away more from our tax dollars. Remove those two things, and less of our tax money goes to public employees. Government as the big boogeyman doesn't feature in the union vs employer debate.

Replace our tax dollars with corporate profits in the first sentence and it's suitable for private employees vs corporations.

But doesnt the tea party hate "the man" and those "big wig fatcats" and the "wall street bankers" and the "greedy ceos"?

What better way to stick it to them then by bargaining for liveable wages?

jamesinclair said:
But doesnt the tea party hate "the man" and those "big wig fatcats" and the "wall street bankers" and the "greedy ceos"?
No.

They are the 'job creators'. T-partiers bow down and kiss their ass.

mj1108

TacticalFox88 said:
Circular logic. It's like the deficit. They want to solve the deficit. K, cool. You need revenue to fix a deficit. They want to lower taxes. Less taxes=less revenue. Less revenue=deficit never solved.

Also, less revenue = be forced to cut things like education, social security, medicare, etc.... So they want less revenue so they can cut those things. They don't want any positive revenue coming in since then those kinds of things will be funded.

jamesinclair said:

I don't want to speak for them, but from what I understand, they fail to connect the dots. That's the crux of the problem the way I see it. The greatest trick the devil pulled was convincing simpletons that their interests are aligned with the interests of corporations and multi-millionaires. If they connect the dots, they will see the full picture. But that requires wearing a thinking cap and we're short on those around this country.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
jamesinclair said:

The Tea Party's thinking WRT those groups is "Where's my bailout?"

Beyond that I doubt those groups figure prominently into their mythology.

leroidys

BigSicily said:
If Obama is stupid enough to run with Sen. Kennedy's line of attack from '93 (which your comments basically are), then he will get routed by Romney. Kennedy could make the argument about cutting-jobs as a proxie for making Romney out into being an outsider executive only after profits. That worked back in the 1990s when the economy was booming again.

Today, if he tries to pull that shit again, Romney can just respond that if Obama had ever had a leadership position out in the real world, in the private sector, instead of sitting on academic boards and in guaranteed tenured positions living off the states money where all decisions can be outsourced to a committee or sub-committee, he'd understand that a real leader sometimes has to make hard decisions to cut some parts to shave the whole. True? Who knows... but the political optics of it are fantastic with the middle class suburban/exurban voter who's up for grabs.

PS. Call him whatever you like, as most on the left usually do when confronted with something they immediately can't recognize -- like getting protein from red meat -- but the psychological association he's made between business leader Romney and jobs is something important to keep in mind.

Slightly off-topic, but AFAIK Obama was not tenured.

Link

Oblivion

I'm surprised no one's posted this, either here or on most sites. Obama prefers spending cuts over McConnell's plan:

WASHINGTON -- The White House on Wednesday closed the door a little more on the debt proposal being floated by Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), a measure already under siege by conservatives.

"This is not a preferred option," White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said of McConnell's proposal in his daily briefing.

McConnell's proposal for avoiding debt default -- to transfer full power to raise the debt ceiling to the White House for the remainder of Obama's current term, cutting Congress out of the process -- does nothing to address deficit reduction, Carney said. And Obama is set on making sizable cuts.

"The president is firmly committed to significant cuts in spending and to dealing with our deficit and debt problems in a balanced way," he said. "Bigger is better. ... It's an opportunity for a game-changer, to put the United States on much firmer ground as we really get into the 21st century and the economic competition that confronts us."

On Tuesday, the White House made a point to publicly embrace the sentiment of McConnell's proposal, reaffirming that default is not an option. But it stopped short of supporting its particulars. Carney's comments Wednesday clarified that the White House has little desire to actually move on the GOP offer.

Conservative Republicans have assailed McConnell's proposal from the moment it was unveiled. Conservative blog RedState calling McConnell "a weasel" and slammed his proposal as the "Pontius Pilate Pass the Buck Act of 2011." Sens. Mike Lee (R-Utah), Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) and Jim DeMint (R-S.C.) have already signaled they will oppose the plan if it comes to a vote.

Regardless the fate of his proposal, McConnell cast more gloom on the overall debt debate when, during an interview on Laura Ingraham's program earlier Wednesday, he predicted that no Republicans will vote to raise the debt limit in the end. Carney questioned why McConnell would say that when he made clear with his proposal that a debt default is not acceptable.

Sigh.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
eznark said:
He has spent the last few years calling this an inherited problem, of course he doesn't want to take ownership now.
you realize revenues are down roughly $600B since fiscal year 2008 and $500B since fiscal year 2009, right?

Note that the revenue decreases since obama became president are actually greater than the spending increases. Oh, and the increase in spending trails the GDP increase percentage-wise (GDP increased by ~25%), and they exceed hte requested spending numbers by obama to congress by $100-$150 billion

Yet you want to insist he didn't inherit this mess, or that the US doesn't have a revenue problem, only a spending problem?

Revenues are going down, expenses and GDP are going up (expense increase trailing GDP increase).... clearly there is one problem, and it is spending!

I would like it if you conservatives could live in reality for once. It would help you come up with sensible solutions to problems.

eznark

Banned
GaimeGuy said:
you realize revenues are down roughly $600B since fiscal year 2008 and $500B since fiscal year 2009, right?

Note that the revenue decreases since obama became president are actually greater than the spending increases. Oh, and the increase in spending trails the GDP increase percentage-wise (GDP increased by ~25%)

Yet you want to insist he didn't inherit this mess, or that the US doesn't have a revenue problem, only a spending problem?

Revenues are going down, expenses and GDP are going up (expense increase trailing GDP increase).... clearly there is one problem, and it is spending!

I would like it if you conservatives could live in reality for once. It would help you come up with sensible solutions to problems.

You have a very real problem with finding things that are not there. At no point did I say or insinuate this was anything other than an inherited problem.

Bulbo Urethral Baggins said:
Do the current textbooks exclude the contributions of gay Americans?
The struggle for equal rights for gay people is an important part of America's social history and it obviously deserves a place in textbooks along with the women's rights movement and the civil rights movement.

eznark

Banned
Mercury Fred said:
The struggle for equal rights for gay people is an important part of America's social history and it obviously deserves a place in textbooks along with the women's rights movement and the civil rights movement.

Is there any sort of push within the community for an honorific month a la Black History Month? If so, which month and whose birthday do we get to take off on?

GaimeGuy

Something as simple as mentioning how in the holocaust gays had to wear a pink triangle like jews had to wear ayellow star of david would go a long ways.

Also Harvey Milk, Matthew Shepard, and Stonewall .

eznark said:
Is there any sort of push within the community for an honorific month a la Black History Month? If so, which month and whose birthday do we get to take off on?
There already is one, June. How about Harvey Milk's birthday, May 22?

Mercury Fred said:

I agree, but it's not like American history books have ever even approached a hint of accuracy before. As I look back on it now, I can't think of a single textbook that I read in K-12 that wasn't riddled with whitewashing or lies by omission.

It's really no wonder that most Americans never can come to grips with the "America is the best at everything!" attitude being a falsehood; it's what we're taught in every "educational" book in school.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Mercury Fred said:

Heh, they were talking to someone about this on the morning news.

First they got her to admit that homosexuality is not a choice. Then the very next sentence he asked how is this struggle different than civil rights movement and women's rights movement. And she said well its a choice... then stopped and realized what she had just said.

I just saw it in passing I wish I knew what channel it was.

eznark

Banned
Mercury Fred said:
There already is one, June. How about Harvey Milk's birthday, May 22?

Nice. Finally a Monday during baseball season. That Jan/Feb off day stuff is garbage.

I had no idea about June. It's not an officially official thing is it? Or is Black History Month "official" just because? Are they somehow recognized by the government?

GaimeGuy

eznark said:
Nice. Finally a Monday during baseball season. That Jan/Feb off day stuff is garbage.

I had no idea about June. It's not an officially official thing is it? Or is Black History Month "official" just because? Are they somehow recognized by the government?
It is.

Also, July is national ice cream month :)

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I thought February 3rd was also recognized as the worldwide day for Gay Rights?

Mercury Fred said:
Sure. I was just wondering if it's in the textbooks now.

besada

Banned
Cain, teaching the others how to dish up ugly stupid:
http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/...tn-mosque-project-is-not-innocent.php?ref=fpb
"It is an infringement and an abuse of our freedom of religion," Cain told reporters when asked about the case, according to the AP. "And I don't agree with what's happening, because this isn't an innocent mosque."

"This is just another way to try to gradually sneak Shariah law into our laws," Cain said, "and I absolutely object to that."

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
GaimeGuy said:
Something as simple as mentioning how in the holocaust gays had to wear a pink triangle like jews had to wear ayellow star of david would go a long ways.

Also Harvey Milk, Matthew Shepard, and Stonewall .

Wow! Is this true?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom