• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2011: Of Weiners, Boehners, Santorum, and Teabags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackson50

GhaleonEB said:
I am glad for the drop, but take it with some caution:

The headline decline in jobless claims is good news though there's special factors at play that cloud the July 9 week. Initial claims fell 22,000 to an as-expected level of 405,000 but the period is a shortened one that includes the July 4 holiday (prior week revised upward to 427,000). Another factor is uncertainty over the week-to-week timing of shutdowns, including auto retooling, in the manufacturing sector, a seasonal factor that lowers claims after adjustment and always makes for uncertain readings at this time of year. One factor that is clearly inflating claims is the government shutdown in Minnesota which added 11,500, before adjustment, to the week's total.​
http://bloomberg.econoday.com/byshoweventfull.asp?fid=446488&cust=bloomberg-us&year=2011#top

They may be volatile over the next few weeks.
True. And that is why the rolling average is useful. Also, I remember reading that the automakers implemented their shutdowns unusually early because of the supply chain problems. It is a peculiar period.

Mr. Serious Business said:
Creeper? To me, he just seems like a typical southern Republican, albeit not white. And his approval ratings have been very strong, but I haven't checked the most up to date ones.

As for Mitt Romney, he CAN NOT get elected president. I'm not generally a Sith and I don't enjoy speaking in absolutes, but really. Romney was a weak candidate in the weak 2008 field of McCain, Giuliani, Thompson, and the other forgettable people whose names I can't remember. He was generally laughed at in the debates for flip-flopping on what he said. Romney can't attack Obama on health care (which is arguably his weakest point). He's not Catholic or Protestant, raised taxes as governor (and balanced the budget, but I don't think that matters to Republicans), and is a rich CEO running against two relatively modest earners (Obama and Biden). He just feels like a weak compromise candidate (Bob Dole 2.0, if you will), and not very exciting.
Romney can be elected president. With a weak economy, nearly any nominee from a major party can defeat the incumbent party. Moreover, the economy is currently Obama's weakest point. Healthcare is a superficial distraction. While fundamentals may be less important in midterm elections, they are preeminent in presidential elections. If the economy remains anemic, Obama is in trouble. And Romney can attack Obama's economic performance.

Furthermore, this leads to my next point to an earlier post. Clinton had a middling approval rating in 95. However, after an economic hiccup in the summer of 1995, the nation experienced robust growth. Employment, output, and real income were increasing robustly. That is why he won reelection. The strength of Dole's candidacy was ancillary.

I still think that's a huge IF Romney gets through the primaries.

Further, isn't it somewhat likely that he will have to saddle himself with one of the dingbats that will get the base riled up enough to hold their nose and turn out/vote for him?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
GhaleonEB said:
How familiar are you with the development of legislation over the course of Obama's term to date?

Pretty familar and I can honestly say that he does give things away too early. But I won't say he has never ever done anything right when it came to any piece of the day-to-day negotiating front. That's too extreme. To me anybody that says that is probably as far left as Bachmann is right.

eznark

Banned
LovingSteam said:
I've taken eznark's advice and have just started to not even take this serious. I've been pushing myself to just laugh at everything going on because otherwise I'd be an angry person.

You can thank me later. Politics can be fantastically entertaining as long as it doesn't make you blow your brains out.

Diablos, for instance, has clearly lost his mind.

Jackson50

besada said:
But it always helps if your candidate manages to fall off a stage and land on his face in front of a bunch of cameras.
fwJSz.jpg

Krowley

I'm starting to wonder... Has Sharpton taken over that timeslot permanently, or is he still filling in for Cenk Uygur? He didn't mention Cenk at the start of the show, and the usual practice is to mention, "I'm here filling in for so-or-so.."

I searched and didn't see any mention of it online, but I am curious.

Anyone know what the name of the proposed amendment to the Constitution requiring Congress to balance its budget every year is called? Heard about it on the radio but have heard bo peep about it on news sites.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Teh Hamburglar said:
Anyone know what the name of the proposed amendment to the Constitution requiring Congress to balance its budget every year is called? Heard about it on the radio but have heard bo peep about it on news sites.

The Balanced Budget Amendment?

That's all I've ever heard it called.

mckmas8808

i_am_not_jon_ames said:
Come on, really?

It's crazy that the Congress might actually want the President to pick and choose how to run this country 40% under budget (and not allowed to borrow a dime). The hell with the GOP if they really push that terrible bill/executive order.

Why the hell would they (or anybody) want the president to prioritize who's going to get paid and who's not with 40% less money? That shits wack.

GhaleonEB said:
By not voting. We have an ignorant, apathetic voting population.

So so true. And lets be fair, we need to put a lot of blame on the 18-30 generation. Stupid youngsters. Grrrr....

slit

Diablos said:
Well, that's okay, because states like Pennsylvania are on the decline in population and everyone is getting old (yay, I live here :\) It's possible the state could go from being "in play" to "solid GOP" in the next decade.

Actually that's not true, Pennsylvania's population is still growing and Hispanics are making a large part of that growth.

Krowley said:
I'm starting to wonder... Has Sharpton taken over that timeslot permanently, or is he still filling in for Cenk Uygur? He didn't mention Cenk at the start of the show, and the usual practice is to mention, "I'm here filling in for so-or-so.."

I searched and didn't see any mention of it online, but I am curious.

Cenk has been on total vacation for 2 weeks. It might also coincide with him wanting a commitment to solidify his situation after 6 months. He has been trying to balance his online show being in LA and the TV usually in NY.

besada

Banned
Jackson50 said:

I kinda miss watching Ford fall down. We need more clumsy Presidents. It's been awhile since anyone vomited in a dignitary's lap or took a truly impressive fall.
TacticalFox88 said:
Uh....no. This generation is no worse than Generation Y, X, or the Baby Boomers.
I'm not sure that's actually true. News consumption rates have been going down for awhile. Last time I checked, more than 50% of young people consumed news less than once a week.

And young adults have always consumed less news than older adults.

mckmas8808

TacticalFox88 said:
Uh....no. This generation is no worse than Generation Y, X, or the Baby Boomers.

Well yeah, I'm not blaming this particular generation. Just saying youngins need to vote more in general. And if someone is pissed that the tea party took over, then you need to look at who didn't vote in 2010.

Youngins and minorities need to look at themselves and ask, "did I vote?" And yes I'm in both of the categories that I'm talking about.

BigSicily

Banned
Mr. Serious Business said:
As for Mitt Romney, he CAN NOT get elected president. I'm not generally a Sith and I don't enjoy speaking in absolutes, but really. Romney was a weak candidate in the weak 2008 field of McCain, Giuliani, Thompson, and the other forgettable people whose names I can't remember. He was generally laughed at in the debates for flip-flopping on what he said. Romney can't attack Obama on health care (which is arguably his weakest point). He's not Catholic or Protestant, raised taxes as governor (and balanced the budget, but I don't think that matters to Republicans), and is a rich CEO running against two relatively modest earners (Obama and Biden). He just feels like a weak compromise candidate (Bob Dole 2.0, if you will), and not very exciting.

I can not disagree more. Romney is perhaps the most electable candidate out there from an electoral collage point-of-view. You seem to talk in generalizations and leftist talking-points, as if those grant insight into what motivates the 40% of the country who are conservatives. And to be frank, it *appears* like the mentality at work above is one of throwing ideological crap at the wall in the hopes one of the charges stick without really knowing anything about the why behind it.

Romney's problems in 2008 are traceable in large measure to Alex Gage (cue furious googling), who is something of a genius on his own. His claim to fame was in, along with W's chief pollster Matt Dowd, getting Rove on board with microtargetting of voters and the huge investment needed in information technology and modeling of electoral turn-out based on history, economics, etc. It won huge in 2002 and 2004, so Romney got him on board early. Unfortunately, they misanalysed the data they were getting on what people wanted in 2008 and Romney went hard right. It was the smart play, Hillary fell to a similar fate listening to Mark Penn -- all politicians are suseptable. It also demonstrates the shortcoming with any such advanced modeling (ie. CBO projections included), they have trouble predicting chaotic events that create waves through the voter population. Even until Super Tuesday, Gage was sure there was a large enough conservative majority to do it. I think Romney finally dropped the advise and went back to being more himself around Michigan?! As I said, you can't fault him for taking advise which worked to historic outcomes in both 2002 and 2004. Hillary, who is clever as a fox, did the same with Mark Penn's strategy, only changing after the momentum had shifted dramatically -- and why wouldn't she... it worked like a charm every time before.

IMHO: Romney is amazingly underestimated given Obama's amazingly underestimated troubles due to how I think the economy impacts demographics. I think if you look back to my 2010 predictions, they were some of the closest. His path to 270 is pretty elegant actually. The template is W in 2000, and because of the electoral college reallocation following the 2010 census, he can now lose both Colorado and Nevada and still win with 270 exactly. That's a pretty friendly map to play with if you base your campaign on jobs and the economy.

Got to love the libertarians in NH, polling since April:

Romney 46, Obama 44 (PPP-Democratic)
Romney 47, Obama 43 (WMUR-UNH)
Romney 47, Obama 39 (Dartmouth)
(link to polling)​

He can then look for a buffer by playing in Nevada (~10% Mormon), Wisconsin, Michigan. Pennsylvania is a fools errand for republicans, but who knows. Virginia will be an epic scorthed-earth battleground given the Senate rematch and the Presidential outcomes will likely mirror that. That's an electable map!

On all the talk of he can't do this.... he can't talk Obamacare... Oh yes he can. But at the end of the day, the 2012 election will not be a 2010 redux. It will not be ideological, it doesn't have to be when unemployment is above 9%, GDP is stagnant, the debt is soaring, and inflation in key household products are rising.

The election is simple. Anecdotally, I had drinks with a friend at the Witt in Chicago the other day, he was a decent sized Clinton donor, is gay and anti-war of course, has lost his small business in the last year, is amazingly bitter and absolutely turned against Obama. He said he can't wait to vote for Romney -- I was in shock, but there is something to it. Call him silly or whatever, but it demonstrates the Carville principle at work...

It's been 4 years: I like President Obama, but I like a Paycheck more.

mckmas8808

BigSicily said:
The election is simple. Anecdotally, I had drinks with a friend at the Witt in Chicago the other day, he was a decent sized Clinton donor, is gay and anti-war of course, has lost his small business in the last year, is amazingly bitter and absolutely turned against Obama. He said he can't wait to vote for Romney -- I was in shock, but there is something to it. Call him silly or whatever, but it demonstrates the Carville principle at work...

So what the heck will Romney do for that guy's paycheck that Obama hasn't done or tried to do? I'm curious.

If anybody has the time I recommend watching Boogie Man: The Lee Atwater Story. It's a documentary available for streaming on Netflix right now. It does a good job of explaining the rise of smear tactics in politics.

BigSicily

Banned
Read the title of my post. The point being, that's the politics of it as I see it, today, and that's it.

Vipervisor said:
That is Friedmanesque anecdote work right there fellas.

Haha! Touche!

I did note it was anecdotal and ancillary though... that should count for something.... ;)

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
BigSicily said:

So, your friend wants to vote for a guy that made a fortune buying up smaller companies into larger ones, laying off all of the employees from the smaller company, and then shutting down said small business?

Golly gee, if I didn't know any better, I'd say your friend is a bitter fool.

Dude Abides

Banned
2004 was a huge win for W eh? And you can't think of anything else that may have had a larger effect on the 2002 elections than microtargeting bullshit?

Someone's throwing ideological crap at the wall and it isn't Mr. Serious Business.

BigSicily said:
Read the title of my post. The point being, that's the politics of it as I see it, today, and that's it.

Haha! Touche!

I did note it was anecdotal and ancillary though... that should count for something.... ;)

So please, do tell which of the Republican candidates will make things better for your buddy or yourself.

reilo said:
So, your friend wants to vote for a guy that made a fortune buying up smaller companies into larger ones, laying off all of the employees from the smaller company, and then shutting down said small business?

That, and you may not be happy with Obama's progress on Gay rights, but suggesting that McCain or Romney would be anywhere in the same league in terms of progress (if not outright going backwards) is all kinds of lolworthy

mckmas8808 said:
It's crazy that the Congress might actually want the President to pick and choose how to run this country 40% under budget (and not allowed to borrow a dime). The hell with the GOP if they really push that terrible bill/executive order.

Why the hell would they (or anybody) want the president to prioritize who's going to get paid and who's not with 40% less money? That shits wack.

Thats what they want because it accomplished two things:

1) Obama cant win.
2) They "starve" their mythical "beast"

1) The country cant run with 40% less funds, so whatever Obama would have to cut will be bad. How dare Obama put medicare over SS! How dare Obama put x over y! That way NOBODY is happy. The democrats get pissed off and dont vote. The republicans get pissed off and vote.
GOP wins

and

2) They get their grand experiment on how well the country can work with 40% less government.

BigSicily

Banned
reilo said:
So, the guy wants to vote for a guy that made a fortune buying up smaller companies into larger ones, laying off all of the employees from the smaller company, and then shutting down said small business?

If Obama is stupid enough to run with Sen. Kennedy's line of attack from '93 (which your comments basically are), then he will get routed by Romney. Kennedy could make the argument about cutting-jobs as a proxie for making Romney out into being an outsider executive only after profits. That worked back in the 1990s when the economy was booming again.

Today, if he tries to pull that shit again, Romney can just respond that if Obama had ever had a leadership position out in the real world, in the private sector, instead of sitting on academic boards and in guaranteed tenured positions living off the states money where all decisions can be outsourced to a committee or sub-committee, he'd understand that a real leader sometimes has to make hard decisions to cut some parts to shave the whole. True? Who knows... but the political optics of it are fantastic with the middle class suburban/exurban voter who's up for grabs.

PS. Call him whatever you like, as most on the left usually do when confronted with something they immediately can't recognize -- like getting protein from red meat -- but the psychological association he's made between business leader Romney and jobs is something important to keep in mind.

mckmas8808

jamesinclair said:
Thats what they want because it accomplished two things:

1) Obama cant win.
2) They "starve" their mythical "beast"

1) The country cant run with 40% less funds, so whatever Obama would have to cut will be bad. How dare Obama put medicare over SS! How dare Obama put x over y! That way NOBODY is happy. The democrats get pissed off and dont vote. The republicans get pissed off and vote.
GOP wins

and

2) They get their grand experiment on how well the country can work with 40% less government.

But even the tea party would have to be mad at the GOP for letting a President have that much power right? Aren't they the party of small government?

Wouldn't this be the ultimate "BIG" government thing to do? Giving a sitting President 100% control over what gets paid and what doesn't?

BigSicily said:
If Obama is stupid enough to run with Sen. Kennedy's line of attack from '93 (which your comments basically are), then he will get routed by Romney. Kennedy could make the argument about cutting-jobs as a proxie for making Romney out into being an outsider executive only after profits. That worked back in the 1990s when the economy was booming again.

Today, if he tries to pull that shit again, Romney can just respond that if Obama had ever had a leadership position out in the real world, in the private sector, instead of sitting on academic boards and in guaranteed tenured positions living off the states money where all decisions can be outsourced to a committee or sub-committee, he'd understand that a real leader sometimes has to make hard decisions to cut some parts to shave the whole. True? Who knows... but the political optics of it are fantastic with the middle class suburban/exurban voter who's up for grabs.

PS. Call him whatever you like, as most on the left usually do when confronted with something they immediately can't recognize -- like getting protein from red meat -- but the psychological association he's made between business leader Romney and jobs is something important to keep in mind.

lol It's as though you were quoting Sean Hannity word for word.

reilo

BigSicily said:
Romney is so awesome at making counter-arguments. You give him too much credit.
Four years as the UNITED STATES PRESIDENT is not an executive leadership position?
Romney is not a business leader. He's a hatchet man that made a fortune doing the exact same things that millions of people are unemployed for now: laying people off to benefit the profit margin of the parent company. Period.

If Romney's business acumen amounts to, "well, he made a shit ton of money laying people off, so he knows what he's doing, and that's how he'll kick-start the economy!" then that's a shitty and short sighted argument. That is, if the argument is about creating jobs and not about making profits.

There have been plenty of record breaking profits these past two years. Romney can talk about that being successful at that, but that doesn't mean he's talking about creating jobs.

BigSicily

Banned
Dude Abides said:
2004 was a huge win for W eh? And you can't think of anything else that may have had a larger effect on the 2002 elections than microtargeting bullshit?
Dude Abides said:
He didn't say his friend was a cab driver.

2002 were historic gains, for many reasons, but it was a component. 2003 saw statistically significant gains in local elections Alex Gage worked on and confirmed it. 2004 saw wide-scale implementation of it to great effect, the democrats got on-board with similar efforts afterwards and it's now more common place.

To diminish the history is to just prove your ignorance. It's really a shame that instead of just not commenting if you: (a) know nothing of which you speak, (b) have nothing to add, you feel you must put down the comment with the limited capacity you have.

In your spare time, instead of the internet porn addition, you should read up on Rove and Gage... it's a neat history.

reilo

BigSicily said:
Ok, fuck it, it's a waste of effort anyways.
Heh.

And this concludes another round of "say something intellectually dishonest and then bail at the last second proclaiming it's not worth arguing with the likes of you!"

Evlar

Banned
BigSicily said:
It's really a shame that instead of just not commenting if you: (a) know nothing of which you speak, (b) have nothing to add, you feel you must put down the comment with the limited capacity you have.

In your spare time, instead of the internet porn addition, you should read up on Rove and Gage... it's a neat history.
Oh that's lovely. Thanks for contributing, BigSicily.

Dude Abides

Banned
BigSicily said:
2002 were historic gains, for many reasons, but it was a component. 2003 saw statistically significant gains in local elections Alex Gage worked on and confirmed it. 2004 saw wide-scale implementation of it to great effect, the democrats got on-board with similar efforts afterwards and it's now more common place.

To diminish the history is to just prove your ignorance. It's really a shame that instead of just not commenting if you: (a) know nothing of which you speak, (b) have nothing to add, you feel you must put down the comment with the limited capacity you have.

What a child. You might wish to brush up on the actual 2004 election results before you embarrass yourself further. I assume you're too young to remember them.

BigSicily said:

lol! pray tell, how did rove's enduring permanent republican majority end up? and 2002 wasn't historic at all when you consider the fact that bush lost the popular vote in 2000, and uh, 9/11.

Perhaps one day we will be able to match BigS's intellect and understanding of all things political, economical, and historical. Until that day arrives we are left to playing in our little sandbox and throwing feces around at one another. Am I right Sic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom