• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2011: Of Weiners, Boehners, Santorum, and Teabags

Status
Not open for further replies.

besada

Banned
empty vessel said:
I prefer this one: revenue as percent of GDP for developed countries:

Screen-shot-2011-04-19-at-3.21.49-PM.png

That was my first link, but I didn't see a nifty chart.

Jackson50

DEO3 said:
So, what exactly is wrong with our government? I mean, surely it's not supposed to work like this.
One glaring problem is the surfeit of procedural and institutional veto points. Divided government is a distinct possibility with presidentialism. Our system is prone to these episodes. But this problem is exacerbated by the myriad procedural veto points. This is especially true in the Senate. These are most maddening as they are implemented by the Congress. They are not constitutionally required.

empty vessel said:

http://www.thegasfactory.com/blog1/...1/04/Screen-shot-2011-04-19-at-3.21.49-PM.png
Specifically, corporate taxes are quite low. The statutory rate is high, but that is easily circumvented. To append your post:

cXdIo.jpg

Pctx

Banned
Brettison said:
The ONLY reason American's aren't buying it is because the one's with the money are the one's trying to use their money, position, power, and lobbying to control the debate on the subject.

We had this debate the other day though about why an opposition sucks at forming together though and if it could ever possibly realistically happen. We had a varying response, and obviously a lot of it is all based on people's current mood (which is being pushed by the current situation).
Which I think anyone can relate to if they are favoring their own position. I think people are sick of the greater populous being gven the shaft.

‘Haboobs’ Stir Critics in Arizona

The massive dust storms that swept through central Arizona this month have stirred up not just clouds of sand but a debate over what to call them.

The blinding waves of brown particles, the most recent of which hit Phoenix on Monday, are caused by thunderstorms that emit gusts of wind, roiling the desert landscape. Use of the term “haboob,” which is what such storms have long been called in the Middle East, has rubbed some Arizona residents the wrong way.

“I am insulted that local TV news crews are now calling this kind of storm a haboob,” Don Yonts, a resident of Gilbert, Ariz., wrote to The Arizona Republic after a particularly fierce, mile-high dust storm swept through the state on July 5. “How do they think our soldiers feel coming back to Arizona and hearing some Middle Eastern term?”

Diane Robinson of Wickenburg, Ariz., agreed, saying the state’s dust storms are unique and ought to be labeled as such.

“Excuse me, Mr. Weatherman!” she said in a letter to the editor. “Who gave you the right to use the word ‘haboob’ in describing our recent dust storm? While you may think there are similarities, don’t forget that in these parts our dust is mixed with the whoop of the Indian’s dance, the progression of the cattle herd and warning of the rattlesnake as it lifts its head to strike.”

Dust storms are a regular summer phenomenon in Arizona, and the news media typically label them as nothing more than that. But the National Weather Service, in describing this month’s particularly thick storm, used the term haboob, which was widely picked up by the news media.

“Meteorologists in the Southwest have used the term for decades,” said Randy Cerveny, a climatologist at Arizona State University. “The media usually avoid it because they don’t think anyone will understand it.”

Not everyone was put out by the use of the term. David Wilson of Goodyear, Ariz., said those who wanted to avoid Arabic terms should steer clear of algebra, zero, pajamas and khaki, as well. “Let’s not become so ‘xenophobic’ that we forget to remember that we are citizens of the world, nor fail to recognize the contributions of all cultures to the richness of our language,” he wrote.

videogamer said:

The massive dust storms that swept through central Arizona this month have stirred up not just clouds of sand but a debate over what to call them.

The blinding waves of brown particles, the most recent of which hit Phoenix on Monday, are caused by thunderstorms that emit gusts of wind, roiling the desert landscape. Use of the term “haboob,” which is what such storms have long been called in the Middle East, has rubbed some Arizona residents the wrong way.

“I am insulted that local TV news crews are now calling this kind of storm a haboob,” Don Yonts, a resident of Gilbert, Ariz., wrote to The Arizona Republic after a particularly fierce, mile-high dust storm swept through the state on July 5. “How do they think our soldiers feel coming back to Arizona and hearing some Middle Eastern term?”

Diane Robinson of Wickenburg, Ariz., agreed, saying the state’s dust storms are unique and ought to be labeled as such.

“Excuse me, Mr. Weatherman!” she said in a letter to the editor. “Who gave you the right to use the word ‘haboob’ in describing our recent dust storm? While you may think there are similarities, don’t forget that in these parts our dust is mixed with the whoop of the Indian’s dance, the progression of the cattle herd and warning of the rattlesnake as it lifts its head to strike.”

Dust storms are a regular summer phenomenon in Arizona, and the news media typically label them as nothing more than that. But the National Weather Service, in describing this month’s particularly thick storm, used the term haboob, which was widely picked up by the news media.

“Meteorologists in the Southwest have used the term for decades,” said Randy Cerveny, a climatologist at Arizona State University. “The media usually avoid it because they don’t think anyone will understand it.”

Not everyone was put out by the use of the term. David Wilson of Goodyear, Ariz., said those who wanted to avoid Arabic terms should steer clear of algebra, zero, pajamas and khaki, as well. “Let’s not become so ‘xenophobic’ that we forget to remember that we are citizens of the world, nor fail to recognize the contributions of all cultures to the richness of our language,” he wrote.
Is this an Onion article? I am seriously baffled.

Arizona is a fucking shithole, and anybody from there should be embarrassed in dealings with any other American by that fact alone. It should require immediate and profuse apologies at the start of any conversation with another American just to allow discussion to continue beyond hello.

RustyNails said:

Arizonan right-wingers are trying to figure out how to apply SB 1070 to immigrant words.

BTW, you gotta love a word that lets you legitimately say 'boob'.

Clevinger

How little must your time be worth to not only be upset by dumb shit like that, but write to a paper about it?

empty vessel said:
Arizona is a fucking shithole, and anybody from there should be embarrassed in dealings with any other American by that fact alone. It should require immediate and profuse apologies at the start of any conversation with another American just to allow discussion to continue beyond hello.

I apologize for my state. We're not all awful here. Honest.

Not everyone was put out by the use of the term. David Wilson of Goodyear, Ariz., said those who wanted to avoid Arabic terms should steer clear of algebra, zero, pajamas and khaki, as well.

My man.

Clevinger said:
I apologize for my state. We're not all awful here. Honest.

Just, so you know, I'm from Texas (the second most awful state after Arizona), and I start out all my conversations the same way.

Edited to add: I didn't know pajamas was an Arabic word, but fuck. That's the best word in the English language.

These are crazy times guys. I just read this morning that Boehner walked out of the talks... seriously concerning. Has this gone beyond posturing? I really thought the last round of talks would achieve some kind of solution..

ronito

This is another example of the administration's piss poor messaging. Obama should be on the TV like Reagan was calling out the republicans. Explaining what happens if nothing is done and what the dems were willing to give up.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
videogamer said:

Not enough facepalms in the world for this shit. I wonder how bigots like this would react if they knew our number system is called ARABIC numerals.

Could you imagine how the right would be howling if it was Obama's children conceiving these babies out of wedlock?

I think Sarah's 15 minutes are up considering this hardly made news. Good.

COMMENTARY | Sarah Palin is known for her strong beliefs against sex before marriage. She is staunchly opposed to sex education for teenagers as well the distribution of contraceptives in schools paid for by tax dollars.

In September 2008, Sarah's 17-year-old daughter Bristol announced that she was five months pregnant while her mother continued to support beliefs that obviously do not work within her own family. That year she also voted to cut funding to a program that helped support teen mothers, according to the Washington Post.

In the ultimate hypocrisy, Bristol went on to earn more than $260,000 in 2009 as an advocate against teen pregnancy while at the same time admitting that abstinence was not realistic.

In a not so surprising turn-of-events, the news that Sarah's son Track is expecting a baby with his wife Britta was just released Thursday.

Pictures of the new bride posted on Facebook show that she is rather obviously expecting, while her marriage took place just two months ago.

The quick ceremony prompted many to ask whether Britta was pregnant, but supporters of conservative Sarah became extremely upset, continuing to argue that the new couple was not expecting. It certainly seemed like a shot-gun wedding, and today it was finally confirmed that the pregnancy came before the marriage.
http://news.yahoo.com/sarah-palins-views-abstinence-lead-second-grandchild-215900097.html

Pctx

Banned
r-DAVID-WU-SEXUAL-ASSAULT-large570.jpg

David Wu Accused Of Unwanted Sexual Encounter By Young Woman: Report

First pills, then a tiger suit.... and now sexual assault? Hit the road David Wu.

Snips:
U.S. Rep. David Wu (D-Ore.) is facing allegations of making unwelcome sexual advances, sources tell the Oregonian.

According to the Beaver State-based outlet, the daughter of a longtime friend and campaign donor accused the Democratic congressman of pursuing an unwanted sexual encounter said to have occurred last year. The young woman reportedly raised the matter in a voicemail left at Wu's Portland office this past spring. An unnamed source tells the Oregonian that she sounded "distraught" in her message.

This is not the first time that Wu has come under scrutiny over matters unrelated to his work in the political domain. Earlier this year, the congressman found himself combating calls to resign in the wake of demonstrating questionable behavior. In February, Wu cited a reaction to mental health drugs in resisting calls to step down. The Associated Press reported at the time...

Link via HuffPost

GhaleonEB

empty vessel said:
Aren't you from Texas?

[MAKE A NEW POST TO REPLY TO POSTS BELOW THIS ONE- Admin]

Averon

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/...als-soar-above-his-predecessors.php?ref=fpblg

Gallup Pollster: Obama’s Ratings Higher Than You’d Expect

If Ronald Reagan was the Teflon President, Barack Obama may be the Kevlar President -- bad news can bruise him, but none can pierce his armor to cause any severe damage to his approval ratings.

That's according to Gallup Editor In Chief Frank Newport, who spoke to reporters Tuesday at a breakfast meeting sponsored by the Christian Science Monitor. Newport says he's crunched the numbers as far back as they go in Gallup's polling archive and found that no one's done as well as Obama when the public is as unhappy with the economy.

"Based on where every president has been, his approval rating now is higher than we would predict it would be based on satisfaction [with how the country is doing]," Newport said.

Despite slight fluctuations one way or the other (such as after he ordered Osama bin Laden's death) Obama's Gallup approval has remained pretty steady. And, Newport says, that makes no sense.

"He is overperforming," Newport said. He pointed out that both the Democrat Bill Clinton and the Republican Reagan dipped into the 30s in their approval ratings during their first terms in office. Both men, like Obama, were facing a tough economy and the low level of voter satisfaction with the overall state of the country that goes with that.

And yet: "So far, despite similarly bad economic perceptions, Obama has not fallen into the 30% range," Newport said

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Pctx said:
r-DAVID-WU-SEXUAL-ASSAULT-large570.jpg

David Wu Accused Of Unwanted Sexual Encounter By Young Woman: Report

First pills, then a tiger suit.... and now sexual assault? Hit the road David Wu.

Snips:

Link via HuffPost

Innocent until proven guilty?

and who cares about the stupid tiger suit.

HylianTom

Banned
Averon said:

To be honest, I'm surprised that he's held-up this well. Then again, he's bound to look better when contrasted against the insanity that the GOP is exhibiting.

I often predict that we're about to enter a tumultuous period of history where things get really rough (finance/energy/environment/etc) and we see a series of one-term presidencies. If my prediction is wrong and Obama is indeed re-elected, I think we can thank the Tea Party for making that happen. Wouldn't that be hysterical?

Vestal

HylianTom said:
To be honest, I'm surprised that he's held-up this well. Then again, he's bound to look better when contrasted against the insanity that the GOP is exhibiting.

I often predict that we're about to enter a tumultuous period of history where things get really rough (finance/energy/environment/etc) and we see a series of one-term presidencies. If my prediction is wrong and Obama is indeed re-elected, I think we can thank the Tea Party for making that happen. Wouldn't that be hysterical?

One term presidencies are hard to come by.. To go against an Incumbent President is a very very tall order, particularly when it comes off a Ideological switch in the WH just 4 years earlier.

The last 1 term President was GHB, and IMO it was a product as much of the state of the economy as well as the fact that Republicans had held the WH for 3 terms and Clinton was a very appealing candidate, not to mention that GHB is no Obama as far as popularity.

Akainu

videogamer said:

What? I'd think it'd be because it sounds hilarious.

Jackson50

RustyNails said:
That was my initial reaction, too. Then I Googled the title and discovered it was not. Goodness gracious.
Vestal said:
One term presidencies are hard to come by.. To go against an Incumbent President is a very very tall order, particularly when it comes off a Ideological switch in the WH just 4 years earlier.

The last 1 term President was GHB, and IMO it was a product as much of the state of the economy as well as the fact that Republicans had held the WH for 3 terms and Clinton was a very appealing candidate, not to mention that GHB is no Obama as far as popularity.
Bush's defeat resulted primarily from the state of the economy; the other reasons are incidental. In presidential elections, the economy is usually the primary determinant after partisan inclinations. Now, I am not reducing presidential elections to a bivariate relationship. There are other factors (e.g., casualties and, to a lesser extent, a candidate's ideological polarization). Yet these appear unlikely to effect the outcome-Bachmann, Palin, et al., will not win the nomination. Thus, if economic growth remains tepid, the election will be close; the forecasting models currently predict this outcome.

HylianTom

Banned
Jackson50 said:
Thus, if economic growth remains tepid, the election will be close; the forecasting models currently predict this outcome.

I'm calling it now: whoever wins will do so with less than 300 electoral votes. It's going to be a long, tense night, quite possibly coming down to states in the Mountain time zone. And if Obama pulls-out a win, Tea Party heads will explode. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if we see violence.

Rubenov

HylianTom said:
I'm calling it now: whoever wins will do so with less than 300 electoral votes. It's going to be a long, tense night, quite possibly coming down to states in the Mountain time zone. And if Obama pulls-out a win, Tea Party heads will explode. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if we see violence.

I doubt it. Obama's reelection is still looking as a foregone conclusion. Of course things can change... but once again I doubt it.

GhaleonEB

GhaleonEB said:
Aren't you from Texas?

[MAKE A NEW POST TO REPLY TO POSTS BELOW THIS ONE- Admin]
His post was right next to mine. People have done that for years.

Change in policy is one thing but it's odd to see a post of mine deleted the next day.

At any rate - I didn't see his subsequent post. That was all I'd said.

Jackson50

Rubenov said:
I doubt it. Obama's reelection is still looking as a foregone conclusion. Of course things can change... but once again I doubt it.
A foregone conclusion? I do not understand such unbridled temerity. His reelection is far from inevitable.

Oblivion said:
Wordt Congress ever.

Good article from FP, provides some history and doesn't pull the bullshit 'bububu both sides do it' argument.

Though competition with the 109th. The Worst Congress Ever

I read the Norman Ornstein article now and it is a once over of the issues with some deep ravines not really addressed. It is still impossible to not reach a good judgment of the fail that has and will continue, which he does. His painful attempt to be real.
Over time, the Democratic Party became more homogeneous and moved left, and the Republican Party became much more homogeneous and moved right. By the late 2000s, the center in Congress had virtually disappeared.
I have limited depth on the 90s but by the end of it Clinton, the Democrat, was the new center which was to the right of the old days it would seem to me. Welfare reform, Trade agreements, some bombings, signed bank deregulation. Any Left person had no option in the GOP, true, but its own home was being re-jiggered to square the circle. The end of the Cold War didn't cool the jets of the Right. Their fear was based largely on irrational beliefs. They just evolved to fight against the next something other than what they claim is not of 'us' but often is actually quite similar to them.
A sickness known as hate; not a virus, not a microbe, not a germ--but a sickness nonetheless, highly contagious, deadly in its effects. Don't look for it in the Twilight Zone--look for it in a mirror. Look for it before the light goes out altogether.

gkryhewy

empty vessel said:

Screen-shot-2011-04-19-at-3.21.49-PM.png
Wow. What I find most interesting about this is Australia. They have a lower tax burden than the US, yet manage to afford universal health care, a living wage for every job, and a slow-but-steady growth rate that's seen them avoid the bubble/bust/repeat cycle that's affected everyone else.

gkryhewy said:
Wow. What I find most interesting about this is Australia. They have a lower tax burden than the US, yet manage to afford universal health care, a living wage for every job, and a slow-but-steady growth rate that's seen them avoid the bubble/bust/repeat cycle that's affected everyone else.

They also have about 270 million less people than the United States

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
gkryhewy said:

Two words: Military Spending

Jackson50

Byakuya769 said:
Ok, now I'm sure that you're studying for the GRE or GMAT.
Close! I took the GRE two years ago.
worldrunover said:
The problem the GOP has is they have to actually field a candidate.
They have candidates that can defeat Obama. They only have to prevent the polarizing candidates from winning.

Bishman said:
Why doesn't Obama use the 14th amendment?

The 14th amendment doesn't technically have anything to do with the debt ceiling. He could try but it would be a sticky wicket and really cause an uproar.

They have candidates that can defeat Obama. They only have to prevent the polarizing candidates from winning.

Every candidate they have is polarizing. So I don't know who you're referring to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom