• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2011: Of Weiners, Boehners, Santorum, and Teabags

Status
Not open for further replies.

eznark

Banned
dNOqY.jpg

Wil Wheaton via twitter said:
Dear Obama and Democrats: great job betraying and alienating and the people who supported you, chasing after the people who never will.

Diablos said:
So basically revenues are going to be front in center in 2012, an election year, which is a big part of what the GOP wanted.

Fuck Congress. Boehner is such a little asswipe. "Too big to do in one step" my ass. Do your fucking job you PUSSY.

I can't be angry at Boehner. He is simply doing what his most vocal constituents and fellow congressmen and women are demanding while Reid and Obama are not.

eznark

Banned
Averon said:
You follow Will Wheaton? Better yet, there are Wheaton fans?!

Wil Wheaton is on TWiT a whole lot, or at least used to be. I assume that is where I picked him up.

GOP holding the house is about as likely as russ feingold winning in 2010

I have grown to love your eternal optimism, friend.

This
The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law ... shall not be questioned.
seems to suggest that the debt limit is illegal more so than this seems suggests that people have the freedom to carry guns in a private business:
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Dude Abides

Banned
Blergmeister said:
This

seems to suggest that the debt limit is illegal more so than this seems suggests that people have the freedom to carry guns in a private business:

If Obama had balls, he'd be threatening to do this, rather than saying "My lawyers say big no no."

I don't think the argument that doing it that way would be particularly unsettling to the bond market very persuasive. The court would probably stay out of it as a political question, and I'd imagine the markets would be comforted by the notion that the President can unilaterally borrow rather than having to wait for the current congressional clown show.

Dude Abides said:
If Obama had balls, he'd be threatening to do this, rather than saying "My lawyers say big no no."

is being tied up in impeachment trials over the next year or so the best thing for the country?

He'd probably win- but it would be really, really ugly.

Manmademan said:
is being tied up in impeachment trials over the next year or so the best thing for the country?

How would it be any different than what we have been going through the last 8 months? But its quite possible that the threat alone would do enough damage that the Republicans would be willing to truly negotiate a deal, knowing that they wouldn't receive any credit to increasing the debt ceiling but would receive a great deal of the blame for putting Obama in the position to have to use the 14th amendment.

Dude Abides

Banned
Manmademan said:

Why do you think this in particular would necessarily lead to impeachment?

In any event it'd certainly better than a default, and probably better for the country than whatever deal might be reached.

Manmademan said:

Impeachment requires a criminal act, as defined by the Constitution, this should be settled in court.

People like to throw it around in instances it doesn't apply (like the action in Libya) because it grabs headlines.

Technically the House CAN impeach for whatever. But doing so would be suicidal.

Bishman

If I was Obama... 3-4 days before August 2, I would come out and say - "We have exhausted all options and have not been able to reach a bipartisan plan. Therefore, I want a clean debt ceiling bill on my desk. A up-down vote. You either want to raise the debt ceiling or you don't. And as I have said before - elections have consequences. We will see who's right in 2012. The American people do not want to see our country default. I expect it on my desk before the August 2nd deadline."

eznark said:
I have grown to love your eternal optimism, friend.
It's the only thing that keeps me sane.

Btw, Obama's still winning in Virginia:

PPP said:
We still have Obama leading all comers in Virginia, even as he has a bad polling month otherwise. That state really might be his firewall
I think it's interesting that Obama's doing poorly in traditionally Democratic states like Michigan and Pennsylvania but holding his surprise Bush state wins from 2008. Nate Silver thinks we're entering an alignment period for elections, which I guess would go with that.

Bishman said:
If I was Obama... 3-4 days before August 2, I would come out and say - "We have exhausted all options and have not been able to reach a bipartisan plan. Therefore, I want a clean debt ceiling bill on my desk. A up-down vote. You either want to raise the debt ceiling or you don't. And as I have said before - elections have consequences. We will see who's right in 2012. The American people do not want to see our country default. I expect it on my desk before the August 2nd deadline."

Agreed 100%. The problem with all these various deals and plans is that it will take awhile for both the house and senate to agree to something in conference. He should definitely demand a clean bill in a couple days, as the GOP has clearly squandered any chance at a big cuts package. They shouldn't be rewarded for this.

Some thread levity, posted for PantherLotus' benefit, via the twitness:

"DVRalert: @MHarrisPerry is hosting @maddow tonight! Unprecedented in corporate media: black feminist in anchor seat. #MediaCriticApproved"

DasRaven

Well, Reid's plan looks like a great "call your bluff" offer to both sides
*Meets all the Rep demands for no guaranteed revenues and more cuts than the requested increase in debt ceiling.
*Meets all the Dem demands for no MC/MA/SS cuts & includes the widely popular wind down of our two major war efforts
*Meets the WH's demands for an increase significant enough to last beyond 2012.
*Pits Reps against their previous votes on Ryan and uses Boehner's already agreed to number for discretionary cuts.

If the Reps can't accept this, they must be in it solely to strip safety net programs and protect the mega-rich. They aren't for that are they? *trollface.jpg*

Hell, I see this as a great deal on the assumption that in 2012, President Obama sticks with not renewing the Bush/Obama tax cuts. No revenues now, big revenues in 2013.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
PhoenixDark said:
On a side note, Rick Perry is now favored to be the republican nominee on Intrade.

Perry and Romney are the only ones I see giving Obama a serious fight in this election--Perry moreso because of Texas' job record, regardless of how he was involved.

Evlar

Banned
The 14th Amendment option is a doomsday weapon... not because it will cause impeachment hearings, but because it's unlikely to really solve the problem. The issue here is not just whether granny gets paid or the bond market crumbles (both of which are very, very important for the wellbeing of many people)... It's also whether the "full faith and credit" of the US government has been undermined such that bond-holders wonder if they'll get paid in the future. That is dependent on how stable our political and fiduciary systems are perceived to be. The uncertainty bred by Presidential emergency powers being invoked to just pay the damn bills, plus the spectacle of impeachment over whether the President has the power to just pay the damn bills, will have a negative impact on our ability to borrow at low interest rates. And THAT is a potentially devastating blow to our ability to reduce the debt problem in the future.

StopMakingSense said:
Impeachment requires a criminal act, as defined by the Constitution, this should be settled in court.

People like to throw it around in instances it doesn't apply (like the action in Libya) because it grabs headlines.

Technically the House CAN impeach for whatever. But doing so would be suicidal.

This whole debt ceiling business should be suicidal for the house, but it isn't- since this is what the vocal minority that is the tea party wants.

Same thing with an obama impeachment. Teabaggers are foaming at the mouth for this to happen.

The 14th Amendment option is a doomsday weapon... not because it will cause impeachment hearings, but because it's unlikely to really solve the problem. The issue here is not just whether granny gets paid or the bond market crumbles (both of which are very, very important for the wellbeing of many people)... It's also whether the "full faith and credit" of the US government has been undermined such that bond-holders wonder if they'll get paid in the future. That is dependent on how stable our political and fiduciary systems are perceived to be. The uncertainty bred by Presidential emergency powers being invoked to just pay the damn bills, plus the spectacle of impeachment over whether the President has the power to just pay the damn bills, will have a negative impact on our ability to borrow at low interest rates. And THAT is a potentially devastating blow to our ability to reduce the debt problem in the future.

this also.

Diablos

Plinko said:
Perry and Romney are the only ones I see giving Obama a serious fight in this election--Perry moreso because of Texas' job record, regardless of how he was involved.
Romney will bring the fire during the primary season, but if Perry's going to run, he's got this.

Diablos said:
Romney will bring the fire during the primary season, but if Perry's going to run, he's got this.

I can't recall Romney ever "bringing the fire" during the last round of primaries- instead he got repeatedly owned by Mike Huckabee.

Invisible_Insane said:
When I think about organizations that know how to promote growth, I definitely think of the IMF.

The IMF, Moody's, S&P, and all the other so-called credible evaluators of risk need to sit the fuck down and shut the fuck up.

Seriously:

It went on to call for specific actions to reduce spending - an area of intense debate between the Republicans and Democrats over how to cut the deficit.

The IMF can take a long fucking walk on a short pier. The fucking audacity to propose economic policy prescriptions to my government, and prescriptions of such utter inanity as spending cuts, is so far beyond the pale that it should not be countenanced. Surely the IMF must know that the US government spends among the least of all industrialized countries as a percentage of GDP? The obvious prescription is substantial tax increases to increase government revenue. If anything, spending as a whole needs to be sharply increased.

This should enrage everybody that the IMF is attempting to impose structural adjustment on the US, however indirectly. You should be reaching for your pitchforks right now.

Dude Abides

Banned
Evlar said:

As opposed to the stability and certainty of the current situation, where Congress has to repeatedly raise the ceiling and it turns into a political fight each time?

I know the above is the beltway consensus but it makes little sense.

Manmademan said:
I can't recall Romney ever "bringing the fire" during the last round of primaries- instead he got repeatedly owned by Mike Huckabee.

Yea. Now that he has a legitimate opponent with very little baggage (in conservative's eyes), Romney is going to be on the defensive just as he was in 08.

Bachman's honeymoon will be over the minute Perry jumps in

DasRaven

DasRaven said:
Well, Reid's plan looks like a great "call your bluff" offer to both sides.
<snip>

If the Reps can't accept this, they must be in it solely to strip safety net programs and protect the mega-rich. They aren't for that are they? *trollface.jpg*

Hell, I see this as a great deal on the assumption that in 2012, President Obama sticks with not renewing the Bush/Obama tax cuts. No revenues now, big revenues in 2013.

Follow-up: WH will endorse Reid plan. Senate vote today.

Boehner's plan is in the mix and continues to push for a BBA thus dooming it in the Senate.

Evlar

Banned
Dude Abides said:
As opposed to the stability and certainty of the current situation, where Congress has to repeatedly raise the ceiling and it turns into a political fight each time?

I know the above is the beltway consensus but it makes little sense.
Yes, as opposed to that. The markets will be reassured if the debt ceiling problem goes away. Having it tied up in courts for years is NOT making it go away.

EDIT: I mean, what trader want to wake up next April to the news that, oh hey, you know those T-bonds you've been buying the past eight months? They've been declared illegitimate by some appeals court in Virginia! How the hell will you unwind that?

Diablos

PhoenixDark said:
Yea. Now that he has a legitimate opponent with very little baggage (in conservative's eyes), Romney is going to be on the defensive just as he was in 08.

Bachman's honeymoon will be over the minute Perry jumps in
The real question is what will an Obama vs. Perry matchup look like?

More after the break.

Dude Abides

Banned
Evlar said:
Yes, as opposed to that. The markets will be reassured if the debt ceiling problem goes away. Having it tied up in courts for years is NOT making it go away.

It won't be tied up in court. It's a political question and the courts won't touch it.

If I'm a holder or potential holder of T-bonds I'm much more comfortable if I know it's up to one guy to decide whether I get paid rather than 536.

Evlar

Banned
Dude Abides said:
It won't be tied up in court. It's a political question and the courts won't touch it.

If I'm a holder or potential holder of T-bonds I'm much more comfortable if I know it's up to one guy to decide whether I get paid rather than 536.
But that's exactly what we're talking about: Congress asking the courts to declare the President's issuance of bonds illegal. And there will be calls for that if he uses the constitutional option.

Dude Abides

Banned
Evlar said:
But that's exactly what we're talking about: Congress asking the courts to declare the President's issuance of bonds illegal. And there will be calls for that if he uses the constitutional option.

And that's precisely the type of situation that the SC doesn't want to touch, and why they've invented the political question doctrine.

gcubed

Evlar said:

wouldn't that go in direct contradiction of the amendment then?

Evlar

Banned
Dude Abides said:
And that's precisely the type of situation that the SC doesn't want to touch, and why they've invented the political question doctrine.
I understand your point, but the SC can only avoid so much; we know they will act if they feel they must to avoid a Constitutional crisis. See: Bush v. Gore.

I am being jaded; I admit it; hard not to be in the context of the current madness. At any rate I'm only expressing what I believe could be market fears, not what I actually think must happen.

Dude Abides

Banned
Evlar said:
I understand your point, but the SC can only avoid so much; we know they will act if they feel they must to avoid a Constitutional crisis. See: Bush v. Gore.

I am being jaded; I admit it; hard not to be in the context of the current madness. At any rate I'm only expressing what I believe could be market fears, not what I actually think must happen.

They will not embroil themselves in a constitutional crisis by enjoining Obama from borrowing or declaring all the T-bonds issued after X date invalid.

Even if people think they might, I don't think the uncertainty would be substantially worse than the current uncertainty, and certainly not worse than an actual default, and I don't see why Geithner et al. are hamstringing themselves by making this argument.

Harry Reid is a traitor and terrorist.

Plinko said:

His job record is delicious. I want to see him pull it out and watch it fail all over his face.

I think everyone who thinks Perry is wonderful has clearly not been following news in Texas.

Lets see whats happening in Texas:

The ferocious Texas drought is clobbering crops, thinning out cattle herds, decimating wildlife, and drying up streams and reservoirs, but it's also wreaking havoc deep underground, where the state's aquifers are dropping at a precipitous rate, experts say.

After nearly a year of scant rainfall, 100 percent of Texas is withering under abnormally dry conditions, according to the latest U.S. Drought Monitor, and 75 percent is in an exceptional drought -- the worst level.

Now, what does 100% of Texas being in drought have to do with Perry?

The dip in groundwater levels is forcing many rural homeowners who depend on residential wells to spend $500 to $1,000 to have their pumps lowered or, worse, $7,500 or more to have deeper wells drilled.

Lee Weaver knew he was facing a serious problem when he watched his lawn sprinkler dwindle to a meager squirt at his home south of Fort Worth.

A half-dozen miles to the west, in a small Aledo-area development, Pete and Stephanie Baldwin were confronting the same sobering reality -- the well at their 10-year-old home with a St. Augustine lawn and an inviting pool was barely pumping.

As a result, the nine major and 21 minor aquifers that supply about 60 percent of the state's water supply are declining at alarming rates, groundwater officials say.

Ok, people are angry they have to spend money, but what are the political implications?

Most of the pressure on groundwater is coming along the Interstate 35 corridor, particularly around fast-growing cities such as Fort Worth, Austin and San Antonio where development is gobbling up ranchland and sucking up groundwater, Kaiser said.

Weaver suspects that's part of the problem around his 24-acre property, where four new subdivisions have sprouted in recent years.

"Twenty years ago, we thought we were moving to the country. The city has come to us," he said.

Hey look, its republican "no regulations in texas!" growth, where people can build what they want without having to consider the environmental implications.

So besides the lack of regulations, whats the second cornerstone of a GOP governership?

Oil and gas.

Others say fracking for natural gas wells is also a drain. But Kaiser said all those new residential wells and the surge in natural gas wells in Texas are a drop in the bucket compared with agricultural use, which accounts for about 80 percent of all groundwater pumped annually.

"The Texas Water Development Board did a study a few years back and found the impact of all that natural gas fracking would have less than a 10 percent impact on aquifer levels," he said.

Watts says the impact of fracking has been noticeable. "They use a lot of water," he said.

"But so have subdivisions where they put two wells on every lot so they'll have enough for the landscaping," he said. "The aquifer levels are a lot lower than they were 40 years ago."
http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/07/23/3241673/drought-is-taking-toll-on-texas.html

When your kitchen sink doesnt have water because of fracking....that 10% is mighty relevant.

Go ahead and read the comments. 90% are about how these unregulated subdivisions are ruining the state and how the fracking will result in death for everyone.

Nobody in the comments is pointing fingers at Perry yet, but you just need to connect the dots between:

GOP says no to regulation = too many straws in the aquifer cup
GOP says we need a small government = lack of planning for water management
GOP says yay to oil and gas = fracking using huge amounts of water

And suddenly, the GOP doesnt look so good in their heartland, because GOP policies, like everyone else, are reaping what they have sown.

Id like to see Parry talk about how many jobs hes created when people start abandoning their homes due to a lack of water....which he helped create.

The comment section is packed with stuff like this:

Drilling the gas well uses 1 million gallons of fresh water.
Fracing the well uses 3 million in the Barnett and over 13 million in the Eagle Ford.

None of this water can be returned to the watershed. Its gone.

The gas and oil industry has absolutely NO restrictions on the amount of water they can draw from an aquifer thanks to TRRC.

Gas and oil drilling is at a record high right now. 864 operating in Texas right now, meaning a minimum of 864 million gallons for fresh water being consumed.

The peasants are growing reckless.

Ok, this HAS to be a hidden camera show at this point, right?

Steve King on default: Obama could be impeached

"Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa) said Monday that President Barack Obama “would be impeached” if the nation falls into default.

“STOP talking about default,” he wrote on Twitter. “The 1st dime of each $1 of revenue services debt. Obama would be impeached if he blocked debt payments. C C & B!”

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0711/59836.html#ixzz1T9JLxLvP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom