• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2011: Of Weiners, Boehners, Santorum, and Teabags

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fatghost said:
S&P and Moodys and Fitch are private agencies and don't answer to the US government or the American people.

They do indeed answer to the American people. S&P is owned by a corporation (The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.) whose privilege to exist depends on the prerogative of the American people (its corporate charter).

Fatghost said:
Countries have a right to self determination but they don't have the right to self determination in a vacuum.

Not in a vacuum, no. I mean, they can be subject to military invasion and international norms of jus cogens. I would hardly place threats by corporations in that category. That is something a people can control.

Fatghost said:
Perhaps if &P and the rest had been this proactive about Greece a decade ago Europe wouldn't be in the mess it is in now.

There is a difference between making an objective assessment of a current status and making a political threat. Nor is the line all that difficult to draw. No self-respecting American can tolerate a threat to popular sovereignty from a corporation.

You know, I've been asking how any of this could be real for weeks now. But six days out from the deadline, the question doesn't even make sense to me any more.

We are days from letting a completely unnecessary 'crisis' -- more or less manufactured by a tiny, ignorant minority of American citizens -- put another kick in the global economy while it's down.

How is this real.

Averon

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2011/07/27/bonus_quote_of_the_day.html

"Get your ass in line."

"Get your ass in line."

-- House Speaker John Boehner, quoted by Politico, telling GOP lawmakers in a closed-door meeting to behind his debt ceiling bill.

He added, "I can't do this job unless you're behind me."

Boner getting frustrated with the tea-faction. With the Tea-Party now calling for him to step down, I wonder if he'll just say "fuck it" and make a deal with the Dems just to screw them over. Unlikely, but a man can hope.

ToxicAdam

America is the only country in the world that that has the luxury of creating an economic crisis when there isn’t one," - Elvin Lim.

I can't believe Michele Bachmann.

I think, for all us, our experience in public schools is there have always been bullies, always have been, always will be. I just don't know how we're ever going to get to point of zero tolerance and what does it mean? ... What will be our definition of bullying? Will it get to the point where we are completely stifling free speech and expression? Will it mean that what form of behavior will there be - will we be expecting boys to be girls?"

Really?

Michele Bachmann, GOP Presidential Candidate Plagued by 'Teen Suicide Epidemic' Report.

Dude Abides

Banned
Cringe Humor said:
She kinda makes a point. Do we want our young men to be bitches? With breasts and PMS?

Isn't shitting up that Glenn Beck thread sufficient to give you whatever satisfaction you derive from this schtick?

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
empty vessel said:
They do indeed answer to the American people. S&P is owned by a corporation (The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.) whose privilege to exist depends on the prerogative of the American people (its corporate charter).

Something about that argument is unsettling. And I'll admit I can't really quantify it, but it feels like it should be akin to saying that an American Citizen can't make a political statement or demand of its government because the citizen's existence is a privilege extended by the rest of the American people.

Not in a vacuum, no. I mean, they can be subject to military invasion and international norms of jus cogens. I would hardly place threats by corporations in that category. That is something a people can control.

It's not threats from a corporation. It's a statement of investment sentiment. The ratings agencies are concerned the US may have some additional political risk that increases the risk that the US may not be able to pay its obligations to bond holders. AA+ is still a very high rating, it still implies almost no risk, but it's not AAA, which implies virtually zero risk. The antics in Washington now certainly point to some increased risk to bond holders.

It's instructive that the markets still mostly expect rationality to win the day here. But don't you feel that each day it seems like the irrational may hold sway in Washington now?

I would argue that little niggle is the difference between AAA and AA+.

There is a difference between making an objective assessment of a current status and making a political threat. Nor is the line all that difficult to draw. No self-respecting American can tolerate a threat to popular sovereignty from a corporation.

See if S&P said something like "If the US doesn't declare war on Iran we will downgrade" then I would completely agree. But from an investment perspective, the US has a deficit problem. S&P did not say how to fix the problem, just that there is a slight fiscal problem that is exacerbated by political deadlock.

Where a functional system would deal with the problem by some combination of spending cuts and/or revenue increases, the US has a government which is essentially prevented by its members from coming to any agreement to fix the problem.

It's like bleeding to death from a paper cut. The wound itself would not be troubling but the refusal for all treatment is the issue. Because of the partisan discord Washington is refusing all treatment.

That's the stance of the ratings agencies and it's well within their purview.

Cyan

Banned
Cringe Humor said:
Grr, I am so angry at the REPUBLICANTS. I call them REPUBLICANTS because they simply CAN'T do anything right for America, like unrestricted, federally-funded abortion and 70% taxes on the rich.

Fix the economy by taxing the corporations and the rich!
Ah, you've moved on from trolling the drawing thread, I see. Are you the same guy who was banned yesterday?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Averon said:
http://politicalwire.com/archives/2011/07/27/bonus_quote_of_the_day.html

"Get your ass in line."

Boner getting frustrated with the tea-faction. With the Tea-Party now calling for him to step down, I wonder if he'll just say "fuck it" and make a deal with the Dems just to screw them over. Unlikely, but a man can hope.
This part is so funny to me. Even in the current post 2010 setup there are more regular repubs than tea party crew, but the regular repubs can't seem to get even a remote grasp on the party. This is what you get when you let a small minority take over the messaging for the past few years even if they make up a minority of your overall voting base.

The conservative machine in terms of press and non elected figure heads don't seem to know what to do either. Some genuinely wanted to go along with the tea party, but others were just riding the wave as a Obama/Dem backlash. Now they see where the wave took them, and they aren't sure how to get off this crazy Tea Party desert isle. LoL

I see this exact thing in alot of my older conservative leaning family who just don't know what to do now. At least I get to say told ya so now!!!!

CBO said Harry Reid's plan falls short of proposals
The Congressional Budget Office on Wednesday said the proposal by Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, which would raise the debt cap by $2.7 trillion, would reduce deficits by $2.2 trillion.

The truth, however, is that neither Reid's bill nor Boehner's currently has a chance of passing both the House and the Senate. That means the two chambers will need to work on a compromise bill. And soon, since there are only 6 days until Aug. 2.

I know it's terribly unrealistic but I think we need to look at amending our constitution. Our government frankly doesn't work in it's current form. Iceland is doing it, why can't we? Perhaps coming up with ideas for amendments to the constitution is for another thread

MrGame&Watch said:
I know it's terribly unrealistic but I think we need to look at amending our constitution. Our government frankly doesn't work in it's current form. Iceland is doing it, why can't we? Perhaps coming up with ideas for amendments to the constitution is for another thread

Amending the constitution? We can't even pass a budget.

Evlar

Banned
MrGame&Watch said:
The political deadlock which causes the current dysfunction would also prevent the amendment process from proceeding.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
gcubed said:
at this point, if i were the democrats i'd take a cuts only bill from republicans to get the debt ceiling raised. Sure, whatever they want, lets get this done with 100% republican ideas. By agreeing to this I also agree to not extend the Bush/Obama tax cuts. You get your cuts today, i get my taxes tomorrow.

This is the best thing that we can hope for if a cuts only bill goes through.

MrGame&Watch said:
Fareed Zakaria has been championing this cause for a long time. America's constitution has been the most static out of every developed nation. In our collective psyche, changing constitution is heresy.
Now, why do they need a new Constitution anyway? Well, after Iceland was crippled in recent years by the economic crisis, they all wanted a fresh start. And, anyway, they felt the document was old and outdated, drafted all the way back in 1944.

You might be tempted to say that Iceland doesn't have any reasons to be proud of its political traditions in the manner that the United States does. Well, think again.

Iceland is home to the world's oldest parliament still in existence, the Althing, set up in 930 A.D. The rocky ledge on which they gathered represents the beginnings of representative government in the world. So Iceland has reasons to cherish its history, and yet it was willing to revise it.

By contrast, any talk of revising or revisiting the U.S. Constitution is, of course, seen as heresy. The United States Constitution was, as you know, drafted in a cramped room in Philadelphia in 1787 with shades drawn over the windows. It was signed by 39 people.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
MrGame&Watch said:

I cannot possibly fathom giving these clowns in Congress the power to change the Constitution right now. I can only imagine how ridiculous that would look.

Measley

teruterubozu said:
Amending the constitution? We can't even pass a budget.

You know, I almost laughed when I read that. Then I thought about it, and now I'm close to crying because its so damn true.

GhaleonEB

Plinko said:
I cannot possibly fathom giving these clowns in Congress the power to change the Constitution right now. I can only imagine how ridiculous that would look.
How about an amendment writing out the Senate?

The country would be a lot better off.

ToxicAdam

A Human Becoming said:
I had a dream last night the Dow Jones dropped to 100. Not 100 points, but to 100. Then things got so bad it went into the negatives. I think I've been worrying too much.

Well, it would fix the wealth disparity problem. Then we would become a magical land of prosperity and happiness.

Wilsongt

You know, if Obama doesn't win in 2012, I wouldn't blame him for breathing a giant sigh of relief. After all of the stuff that has been thrown his way the last couple of years, I can't imagine what it is doing to him mentally. We've already seen how much he has aged in the past two years...

GhaleonEB

ToxicAdam said:
Well, it would fix the wealth disparity problem. Then we would become a magical land of prosperity and happiness.
Actually, to do that we'd need to spread the wealth around, not the poverty. So close!

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
A Human Becoming said:
I had a dream last night the Dow Jones dropped to 100. Then things got so bad it went into the negatives. I think I've been worrying too much.

I'm not sleeping well either.

mckmas8808 said:
So Reid's bill savings the US tax payers more money than Boehner's GOP bill, yet it's still the DEMs that are viewed as the tax and spend party that doesn't care about deficits?

UGH!

Sounds like time for the Dems to compromise and ratchet that number down.

mckmas8808 said:
So Reid's bill savings the US tax payers more money than Boehner's GOP bill, yet it's still the DEMs that are viewed as the tax and spend party that doesn't care about deficits?

UGH!
When the CBO's projections favor any Democratic legislation that means they are liberally biased. So therefore it isn't true.
Cringe Humor
Banned
(Today, 09:12 AM)
Reply | Quote
Thank fuck.

Jackson50

GhaleonEB said:
How about an amendment writing out the Senate?

The country would be a lot better off.
Please. We have a profusion of veto points inherent to our system. They already impede our government. The problem is compounded exponentially when a single chamber imposes intra-branch veto points. It completely jams the system. It is antithetical to a properly functioning government-even a government predicated on checks and balances.
Oblivion said:
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/oreilly-...nn-to-explain-how-norway-bomber-is-christian/

You know, I used to think that Bill O's inability to comprehend the concept of gravity was his most dimwitted moment, but I think I've found a new winner.

Seriously, just watch that trainwreck of an interview.
I have encountered this reasoning from a few conservative Christians since the Norway attacks. And it still confounds me. Unwittingly, they make the case for why we should not implicate Muslims for 9/11. Yet they are either too obtuse or bigoted (or both) to realize it. And it is unfortunate; they will continue to demonize Muslims. Otherwise, what can you do?

MrGame&Watch said:
What? It's practically impossible to PROPOSE a constitutional amendment, let alone pass one in this divided political environment. The amendment process is fucking stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom