• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2011: Of Weiners, Boehners, Santorum, and Teabags

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bruce Bartlett called Obama a center-right President.

Didn't Obama only add like $1.3 trillion to the debt? Seriously, it's odd that Republicans act like the debt is Obama's fault, when half the debt came from Bush tax cuts.

Measley

GaimeGuy said:
ever since the GOP took over the house in January the economic recovery has slowed more and more. Now I'm not saying it's necessarily the fault of the GOP, I'm just asking questions. Could it be a coincidence, or is there something more? </Beck>

Meanwhile, House Democrats have been working on our Make It in America Agenda to revitalize manufacturing in America, create new good-paying jobs, and make our nation more secure. Republicans have rejected Democratic efforts to create jobs, voting 10 times against Democratic proposals or efforts to consider proposals–several of which are bipartisan–to create jobs:

An American jobs effort to end government contracts rewarding corporations that ship American jobs overseas. [Vote 19]

Build America Bonds to Create Jobs Now Act – leveraging public dollars to strengthen the private sector, growing our economy by rebuilding America’s schools, hospitals, and transit projects, supported by American businesses, the construction industry, mayors and governors. [Vote 38, Vote 30, Vote 189]

American Jobs Matter Act – to give preference in federal contracts to U.S. manufacturers that create jobs here at home. [Vote 257]

National Manufacturing Strategy Act, which calls on the President to lay out a plan to help ensure American manufacturers can compete, grow, and thrive. [Vote 279]

Advanced Vehicle Manufacturing Technology Act to help ensure the cars of the future are built here in the U.S., by investing in a broad range of near-term and long-term vehicle technologies to improve fuel efficiency, support domestic research and manufacturing, and lead to greater consumer choice of vehicle technologies and fuels. [Vote 310]

Currency Reform for Fair Trade Act to provide our government with effective tools to address unfair currency manipulation by countries like China, which could help create 1 million American manufacturing jobs by leveling the international playing field for American workers and businesses. [Vote 9, Vote 199] Recently, Democrats launched a process to force the Republican leadership to bring this bipartisan bill to the floor for an up or down vote.

A measure to promote jobs and innovation at home, by prioritizing patent applications from entities that pledge to develop or manufacture their products and technologies in the United States. [Vote 490]

http://www.democraticleader.gov/blog/?p=4293

Drakeon

Plinko said:
This would be a colossal mistake that plays right into the GOP's hands.

As opposed to letting us default or using Boehners plan?

I'm way more in favor of him just raising the ceiling via 14th amendment with 0 austerity measures. Sure the house republicans might try to impeach him, but if it saves the economy the public will be on Obama's side.

Averon

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Bruce Bartlett called Obama a center-right President.

Didn't Obama only add like $1.3 trillion to the debt? Seriously, it's odd that Republicans act like the debt is Obama's fault, when half the debt came from Bush tax cuts.

The GOP has a habit of having selective memory. See how pissy they get whenever Bush jr is brought up.

Drakeon said:
As opposed to letting us default or using Boehners plan?

I'm way more in favor of him just raising the ceiling via 14th amendment with 0 austerity measures. Sure the house republicans might try to impeach him, but if it saves the economy the public will be on Obama's side.

But for how long? The public have the memory of gold fish.

Gallbaro

Banned
balladofwindfishes said:
I'm hearing rumblings around that New York State is considering making a government run health plan for all its residents.

But I haven't really found a source to these claims, anyone got any idea if that's true.

Because if it is, I will be incredibly happy.

As it should be,a state issue.

lo escondido

Apartheid is, in fact, not institutional racism
balladofwindfishes said:
I'm hearing rumblings around that New York State is considering making a government run health plan for all its residents.

But I haven't really found a source to these claims, anyone got any idea if that's true.

Because if it is, I will be incredibly happy.
Isn't Vermont doing that? I think more and more states can will do this. Thought why haven't they done it before? Did they health care bill make it eaiser?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Clevinger said:
Democrats suck at messaging, and they don't have a giant propaganda wing like our friends in red do.
LIES! They have MSNBC, CNN, NPR, PBS, TIME, the Wall Street Journal, The Economist, and every other newspaper and magazine!

conservatives have only fox. Those poor, discriminated conservatives. Won't someone give them a voice? :(

Doooom and glooom!: Unemployment claims drop below 400,000
chart-initial-claims.top.gif

New York (CNNMoney) – Finally, some better news about the job market: the number of first-time filers for unemployment benefits fell below 400,000 for the first time since early April.

There were 398,000 initial unemployment claims filed in the week ended July 23, the Labor Department said Thursday. That marks the first time since April 2, that the weekly initial claims number has fallen below 400,000, a level typically associated with payroll growth and a lower unemployment rate.

It also beats the 415,000 claims economists surveyed by Briefing.com had expected, and was 24,000 lower than the previous week.

Earlier this year, it appeared initial claims were on a downward track. But they then hit a speedbump in April, as high oil prices, bad weather and Japan's tsunami started to weigh on businesses.

lo escondido said:
Isn't Vermont doing that? I think more and more states can will do this. Thought why haven't they done it before? Did they health care bill make it eaiser?

I believe so, I'll try and find some specifics on it, but I think that the reform provided States with the opportunity to come up with their own solutions to increase health coverage. Those solutions would be graded, and then the state would still get the baseline federal funds if deemed feasible.

GaimeGuy

lo escondido said:
Yes it did. States are allowed to make their own plans (as they have always been allowed), but now, they may also receive federal funds to implemenmt proposals that produce innovations, increased coverage, and lower cost health care in comparison to existing plans.

Sort of an R&D clause that encourages states to come up with better systems that the feds may subsidize at a local level and adopt at a federal level if they prove successful.

Skiptastic said:
Move to the states that do offer it?
making said state even poorer and further punishing those who already live there?

Anyway, I think Cuomo would have the numbers to do it. He got gay marriage passed after all, and I'd consider that an even more partisan issue than Health Care Reform

Mike M

Nick N
If the 14th amendment route were invoked, could it be used to do away with the debt ceiling entirely, or just unnaturally raise it?

balladofwindfishes said:
making said state even poorer and further punishing those who already live there?
Wait, which state becomes poorer? The one offering free health care or the one not providing free health care?

Measley

BotoxAgent said:
fuuuck! how come they don't put Republicans on blast more often for this shit?

Because the Republicans can sit back and say that the Dems voted against it. Case in point is the National Manufacturing Strategy act. That bill failed because the Democrats voted against it. If you look at the actual bill though, it failed because the GOP tacked on a provision that defunded the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (Obamacare), and to repeal mandatory funding for school-based health center construction, something the Democrats weren't going to accept (and things that had no business in that bill in the first place).

Its a brilliant strategy by the GOP. Too bad the entire country has to suffer because of it.

FLEABttn

Banned
balladofwindfishes said:

Do states even make any money? If they aren't, we should sell them off to another country or let a private business run them. Why should we pay to defend North Dakota if all they are is a money pit?

Skiptastic said:
Wait, which state becomes poorer? The one offering free health care or the one not providing free health care?
the ones not offering it would lose businesses and workers who move to other states with the affordable public health options.

lo escondido

Apartheid is, in fact, not institutional racism
GaimeGuy said:
Yes it did. States are allowed to make their own plans (as they have always been allowed), but now, they may also receive federal funds to implemenmt proposals that produce innovations, increased coverage, and lower cost health care in comparison to existing plans.

Sort of an R&D clause that encourages states to come up with better systems that the feds may subsidize at a local level and adopt at a federal level if they prove successful.
OK I knew it had to do something since I studenly started it popping up now. I'd love for NY to do it since I'd really like to move there.

I think that's a great part of the bill. Once people see how it works they won't be as scared and you'll see the tea partiers of the figure saying "get your government hands of my single payer health care".

I really do see single payer in the future though. By mid century at the latest.

balladofwindfishes said:
the ones not offering it would lose businesses and workers who move to other states with the affordable public health options.
What better way to encourage them to change their laws? If they fail so miserably, you don't think they'll change to emulate the ones where all the businesses are going? Businesses will threaten to leave, states will freak out, and then pass the same laws.

GaimeGuy

balladofwindfishes said:
lies, they'd move ot the place with lower taxes! hurr durr.

GhaleonEB

RustyNails said:
This is going to be wonkish, but I want to make the comment because this is a key data series that I pay very close attention to, but it needs a slightly deeper level of understanding with respect to the top line number.

The thing to bear in mind is the reported figure is seasonally adjusted, and when events disrupt normal seasonal patterns, it throws the adjustments off and that can lead to choppy movement in the week to week initial claims.

I mentioned this last week (or the week before, not sure which - time flies), but things are going to be choppy for a few weeks due to the annual auto manufacturers down time for retooling. Many took the window provided by the supply disruptions from the Japan earthquake/tsunami/catastrafuck to do so a few months earlier than normal, which pushed claims up early. The DOL model is making the adjustment to account for them now, but since they're not hitting the number is dropping.

This is the last week of the adjustment, before it normalizes for the next few months.

BTW, to see the size of the adjustments, look here, in the S.F. (seasonal factor) column. The NSA (not seasonally adjusted) claims are divided by that number (so 111 is 1.11, 92 is 0.92).

The SF for the past few weeks and for the next several, with the weeks that are adjusted for auto down time bolded.

06/18/2011 92.0
06/25/2011 94.2
07/02/2011 99.6
07/09/2011 116.1
07/16/2011 111.3
07/23/2011 92.1

07/30/2011 84.8
08/06/2011 88.9
08/13/2011 84.0

Starting next week the S.F. stablizes and the we'll be back to normal, so how initial UI claims are over that time period will be very important. Right now there's a LOT of noise in the readings, so I take the good news with a note of caution.

balladofwindfishes said:
And states that can't afford to offer health care plans?

The people just suffer because they live in Wisconsin?
Don't worry, we'll just lower corporate taxes a little and cut education a lot!

Sorry, too many political ads going on around here.

LM4sure

Banned
balladofwindfishes said:

but then the states not offering it would save a lot more money, making the states richer, not poorer.

Skiptastic said:
What better way to encourage them to change their laws? If they fail so miserably, you don't think they'll change to emulate the ones where all the businesses are going? Businesses will threaten to leave, states will freak out, and then pass the same laws.
And if they don't?
Because you'll always have idealogical areas where even the most no-brainer law will never pass.

DasRaven

balladofwindfishes said:

Yes, exactly that. You get what the majority votes for.
Eventually the majority will elect those who will level the playing field.

balladofwindfishes said:
And if they don't?
Because you'll always have idealogical areas where even the most no-brainer law will never pass.

I don't believe that is true. There is always a tipping point at which the status quo crumbles.

DasRaven said:

I don't believe that is true. There is always a tipping point at which the status quo crumbles.
but how long do you let Americans in those states go without healthcare before you say it's time to put federalist ideas behind us and take care of the people who need help.

I still believe we'd have segregation in the deep south had the Federal Government not stepped in and stuck to State's rights.

GaimeGuy

DasRaven said:

Why do we haveto wait ofr it though? It's been over 100 years since teddy roosevelt called for universal health care, and even after the biggest, most successful push for reform since the 60s, we're still stuck with an employer/private-insurer based model with antri-trust exemption.

England passed the National Health Service Act 65 years ago. We're decades behind the rest of the developed world in this area, and several members of the developing world.

GhaleonEB said:
Starting next week the S.F. stablizes and the we'll be back to normal, so how initial UI claims are over that time period will be very important. Right now there's a LOT of noise in the readings, so I take the good news with a note of caution.
Thanks for the detailed analysis.

ToxicAdam

Looks like the Tea Party freshmen got their 15 minutes of fame. They are on-board with the Boehner plan. Onto the next predictable outcome.

Key to their decision, they said, was a commitment to hold a vote on a constitutional amendment to balance the budget. And they bristled at the notion by tea party activists that the bill, and their support for it, is a compromise that amounts to failure

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
LM4sure said:
but then the states not offering it would save a lot more money, making the states richer, not poorer.

Per capita maybe, but you'd be in a downward spiral in terms of population and business growth. That also would mean less revenue coming in with less people around.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
GaimeGuy said:
Why do we haveto wait ofr it though? It's been over 100 years since teddy roosevelt called for universal health care, and even after the biggest, most successful push for reform since the 60s, we're still stuck with an employer/private-insurer based model with antri-trust exemption.

England passed the National Health Service Act 65 years ago. We're decades behind the rest of the developed world in this area, and several members of the developing world.

Because we Americans honestly believe that gov't is not the answer.

ToxicAdam said:
Looks like the Tea Party freshmen got their 15 minutes of fame. They are on-board with the Boehner plan. Onto the next predictable outcome.

So they're on board because this bill requires a vote on a bill that was already voted on in the House and succeeded but faced the same death sentence that this current one will face?

DasRaven

balladofwindfishes said:
but how long do you let Americans in those states go without healthcare before you say it's time to put federalist ideas behind us and take care of the people who need help.

I let them go without their rights so long as they fail to fight for them. If they aren't willing to elect advocates, do they really lack?

I still believe we'd have segregation in the deep south had the Federal Government not stepped in and stuck to State's rights.

Been to Mississippi or the Wiregrass Region recently? I have. It isn't legal or openly supported, but it is still there.

GaimeGuy said:

We don't have to wait for it. There just aren't enough of us engaged and fighting for it yet.
There are still too few people willing to draw the bright shining line at "healthcare as a human right." There are more in the upcoming generation of leaders than the current.

1. England had the "advantage" of being smashed to pieces, broke, and forced to rebuild society when it happened.
2. The global economy is going to work the same way. Brain drain is taking the best & brightest to nations with better governance, healthcare and infrastructure.
At some point, we cease to be competitive and make changes or we die out.

My position is work the process and push out those with bad ideas.

GaimeGuy

LovingSteam said:
So they're on board because this bill requires a vote on a bill that was already voted on in the House and succeeded but faced the same death sentence that this current one will face?
They're basically betting the farm on the senate and obama caving on the brink of economic collapse.

GaimeGuy said:
They're basically betting the farm on the senate and obama caving on the brink of economic collapse.

Yep. No way does it get 60 in the Senate. It would be interesting to see what would happen if it passed in the Senate. No way in hell would Obama veto.

besada

Banned
Skiptastic said:

And that's great, except it punishes the poorest people in the state. The ones who can't afford to pick up their lives and move, particularly when the real estate market has fallen apart. What you're suggesting is we create a bunch of little Detroits. As the states fall apart, crime increases, and it just gets worse and worse for the people at the bottom of the food chain. And the broken systems linger for generations and make their mark on everyone who lives under them. Detroit's been a hellhole most of my life, and this magical tipping point where it all gets fixed up still seems quite far away.

Honestly, moving as a political option is asinine, and I'm a little surprised to anyone with an ounce of compassion or reason support it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom