• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2011: Of Weiners, Boehners, Santorum, and Teabags

Status
Not open for further replies.
BigPickZel said:
Educating people is a lot different that ensmartening them. And private schools do just as good a job as public ones. Even better in some cases.

Dumb people are not born dumb. People's constitution is a function of several factors: biology, physical environment (sustenance and safety), social environment (nurturing, access to stimuli). Only one of these is beyond the purview of the government.

And your gratuitous point about private schools, besides being false, is irrelevant to the discussion.

Loudninja

Aides To Former Maryland Gov Indicted For Ordering Calls To Suppress Votes
Two aides to former Maryland Governor Robert Ehrlich (R) have been indicted for ordering what officials claim were deceptive robocalls intended to suppress Democratic turnout during Ehrlich's second run for the office last November.

Voters in Maryland started getting mysterious phone calls on election day last year, that told them to "relax" and not bother going to the polls because President Barack Obama and Gov. Martin O'Malley "have been successful."

"Everything is fine. The only thing left is to watch on TV tonight," the robocalls said.

The Baltimore Sun reports:

Julius Henson and Paul Schurick each face three counts of conspiracy to violate Maryland election laws, one count of attempting to influence a voter's decision and one count of failing to provide an authority line (on campaign material). Schurick also is charged with one count of obstruction of justice.
http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsme...an_gov_candidate_indicted_for_ord.php?ref=fpa

empty vessel said:
Dumb people are not born dumb. People's constitution is a function of several factors: biology, physical environment (sustenance and safety), social environment (nurturing, access to stimuli). Only one of these is beyond the purview of the government.

And your gratuitous point about private schools, besides being false, is irrelevant to the discussion.

Education does not equal smart. Genetics is the single largest predictor of intelligence. Education, or lack thereof, can only account for 5 points in IQ. So yeah, people are born dumb. And my true point about private schools is true. Shitty private schools have this problem in that no one is forced to go there, so if they don't provide a service people want, like providing a good education, then they go out of business. But there is nothing I can say that will change your mind, because you're coming at this with the belief that the government can plan for what people want.

BigPickZel said:
Education does not equal smart. Genetics is the single largest predictor of intelligence. Education, or lack thereof, can only account for 5 points in IQ. So yeah, people are born dumb. And my true point about private schools is true. Shitty private schools have this problem in that no one is forced to go there, so if they don't provide a service people want, like providing a good education, then they go out of business. But there is nothing I can say that will change your mind, because you're coming at this with the belief that the government can plan for what people want.

You can keep asserting the same thing, but it isn't true. Flynn has shown beyond dispute that IQs of humans have been rising over time (ever since they have been measured in a way that allows for comparison); while the cause of this hasn't been (and probably can't be) isolated with any certainty, theories are that improvements in environment, including such things as nutrition and education, are responsible for this. All this to say, your "dumb people are dumb" theory is simplistic and wholly inadequate. But I never confined "dumbness" to low IQ in the first place, that's your doing. IQ isn't a very good measure for what we're talking about. People with high IQs can be incredibly stupid, for various reasons (including susceptibility to indoctrination). The capacity for critical thinking is I think a better measure for intelligence in this context.

But the point is that a government's actions can have effects, positive and negative, just like anything else. And I think it's rather dense to stubbornly deny that.

speculawyer said:
Who are these sad foot soldiers that put themselves at risk of being thrown in jail just to get a corrupt politician elected? (I say corrupt assuming they know something about these activities.) Why?

Best I could come up with:

1. Don't expect to be caught/charged
2. Expect only a fine
3. 2 and to be well compensated for their trouble.
4. Rewards not tied directly to them (family debt paid off)
5. Deferred payment/job.
6. Charges can be plea bargained to no contest
7. It was that important to win
8. Pussy/Dick

polyh3dron said:
You guys who hate government so much should live in Somalia, there's no government there.
Reminds me of this:
6a00e5502640718833011570259b60970b-500wi

polyh3dron said:
You guys who hate government so much should live in Somalia, there's no government there.
Not wanting a massive Government financed news organization(instead of say in libraries or expanding internet access to all Americans)=hating the government?

TacticalFox88 said:
Reminds me of this:
6a00e5502640718833011570259b60970b-500wi
LOL

I love that comic. I do like that the guy on the couch is smiling in the last panel (and so is everyone without a mask). I like that they've all moved past race.

Jackson50

Alpha-Bromega said:
I don't understand the contentions of MarlboroRed, are you saying that corporate media is adequate in providing the common citizenry information necessary to be an informed citizen in a democracy? because I believe that is total and complete bullshit, personally.

Corporate media is entertainment, nothing more.
Precisely. Commercial media presents two problems that prohibit it from effectively serving the public interest: first, it is beholden to corporate interests; second, as a corollary, it must maximize the number of viewers to please advertisers. As a result, they prefer entertainment to actual news and ignore issues and services that promote the public interest. That is why public media is essential to supplement commercial media. It is not beholden to corporate interests and can cover issues and provide services that are ignored by commercial media; i.e., serve the public interest.

Jackson50 said:
Precisely. Commercial media presents two problems that prohibit it from effectively serving the public interest: first, it is beholden to corporate interests; second, as a corollary, it must maximize the number of viewers to please advertisers. As a result, they prefer entertainment to actual news and ignore issues and services that promote the public interest. That is why public media is essential to supplement commercial media. It is not beholden to corporate interests and can cover issues and provide services that are ignored by commercial media; i.e., serve the public interest.

The question is what defines "serve the public interest", it just seems too nebulous of a term, and one where they can be legitimate room for debate.

I still feel a better use of the resources available would be improving access to multiple news sources for people(via expanding libraries and internet connection) and teaching better critical thinking skills is far better for a democracy, than a new news source.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
MalboroRed said:
PEOPLE realize problems, it's not like people are absolutely stupid and would have continued slavery had they not had the right leaders, people VOTED for the right leader, namely Lincoln, a republican. Give the american people some credit.

I see.

Jackson50

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
The question is what defines "serve the public interest", it just seems too nebulous of a term, and one where they can be legitimate room for debate.

I still feel a better use of the resources available would be improving access to multiple news sources for people(via expanding libraries and internet connection) and teaching better critical thinking skills is far better for a democracy, than a new news source.
It seems nebulous. But the concept is fairly simple. The public interest is something from which society wholly benefits and not necessarily individual actors. An informed electorate is in the public interest as it benefits society. Yet commercial media is not focused on informing the electorate. They are focused on profits. Thus, the public interest will suffer from the divergent interests of commercial media and the public.

I do not think they are mutually exclusive. Otherwise, improving access and critical thinking is beneficial. Yet if they are accessing commercial media, the failure persists.

Oblivion said:
On that note, when did the Democrats become the progressives (And I use that term loosely) and the Republicans become ass backwards? Ironic that the Republican party was the one who freed the slaves.

//B1G

Banned

I think we could more easily identify actions that do not serve the public interest rather than create a strict guideline on what does. unfounded and disingenuous conclusions (Obama does this therefore he is X) and subtle implications of treason, terrorist affiliation, etc. I'd say are pretty easy to define as not serving the public interest. I especially like how AlJazeera will constantly state "We cannot personally independently verify this conclusion/source so..." instead of taking small amounts of information and wildly speculating upon it.

Critical thinking is absolutely the pinnacle here. If Americans as a whole were more adept at critical thinking/analysis of their sources and of concepts in general then this issue would be greatly lessened.

Gaborn said:
Video here

Huffpo article here.

Fucking idiot.

Also, the Daily Kos reporter did a brilliant job. Well done :)

Pathetic

edit: I have no problem with the guy, he's just trying to keep his job; probably has no problem with gay marriage. But it's clear he wasn't prepared for that line of questioning, and how could he be with Obama's pathetic posturing depending on what's politically convenient

Jackson50 said:
It seems nebulous. But the concept is fairly simple. The public interest is something from which society wholly benefits and not necessarily individual actors. An informed electorate is in the public interest as it benefits society. Yet commercial media is not focused on informing the electorate. They are focused on profits. Thus, the public interest will suffer from the divergent interests of commercial media and the public.
Well could you humor me and say just for today make up a mockup for what the top stories might be and how it would be different that say if the AP, BBC, or Guardian reported. I don't mean to be annoying I get what you're saying I just want to see how it can be applied using real data. It doesn't have to be long or anything.

Jackson50 said:
I do not think they are mutually exclusive. Otherwise, improving access and critical thinking is beneficial. Yet if they are accessing commercial media, the failure persists.
I am working with the assumption that resources are limited and improving access brings other non-related benefits. I also cannot believe that if versed in critical thinking and having access that they cannot use commercial media and be informed.

//B1G said:
I think we could more easily identify actions that do not serve the public interest rather than create a strict guideline on what does. unfounded and disingenuous conclusions (Obama does this therefore he is X) and subtle implications of treason, terrorist affiliation, etc. I'd say are pretty easy to define as not serving the public interest.

Well I would just say that's good journalism and ignoring crap, once again critical thinking skills.

//B1G said:
I especially like how AlJazeera will constantly state "We cannot personally independently verify this conclusion/source so..." instead of taking small amounts of information and wildly speculating upon it.
I do too. I've seen the BBC use that and CNN, not sure when it first started appearing and with who. Though I will say man did AJE post a really junk article the Japan nuclear crisis recently that could have used some verification (it's in the Japan Earthquake thread).

//B1G said:
Critical thinking is absolutely the pinnacle here. If Americans as a whole were more adept at critical thinking/analysis of their sources and of concepts in general then this issue would be greatly lessened.
Meaning it could be solved with be access coupled with education and not need this new news source, and that's ignoring that other benefits increasing access will bring.

Bachmann: Schools should teach intelligent design

Republican presidential candidate Michele Bachmann explained her skepticism of evolution on Friday and said students should be taught the theory of intelligent design.

Bachmann, a congresswoman from Minnesota, also proposed a major overhaul of the nation’s education system and said state administrators should be able to decide how they spend money allocated to them by the federal government.

"I support intelligent design," Bachmann told reporters in New Orleans following her speech to the Republican Leadership Conference. "What I support is putting all science on the table and then letting students decide. I don't think it's a good idea for government to come down on one side of scientific issue or another, when there is reasonable doubt on both sides."

:eek:

Cyan

Banned
Bachmann said:
I don't think it's a good idea for government to come down on one side of scientific issue or another, when there is reasonable doubt on both sides.
Thank you! It's about time someone stood up to Chomsky on deep structure/grammar. Teach the controversy!

TacticalFox88 said:
On that note, when did the Democrats become the progressives (And I use that term loosely) and the Republicans become ass backwards? Ironic that the Republican party was the one who freed the slaves.
60's & 70's. The Dems were the racists but the switch happened at the civil rights act. Dems left and became dixiecrats. Then Republicans.

speculawyer said:
60's & 70's. The Dems were the racists but the switch happened at the civil rights act. Dems left and became dixiecrats. Then Republicans.
I think you need to start a little earlier and go back to the New Deal at least for the start.

Gaborn

speculawyer said:

another schism happened with the nomination of McGovern. Most of the Hawks left the Dems to become the Neocon right.

bananas

Banned
Gaborn said:
Indeed

http://controversy.wearscience.com/img450/coexistence.gif[IMG]

Manos -

[IMG]http://controversy.wearscience.com/img450/stork.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

lol, that site led me to the Voting Tea Party magnets. Some of these are great.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/l4uFT.jpg
23FWi.jpg

qSsPW.jpg
RwOmL.jpg

She's a dumb, dumb, dumb, piece of shit. I'm surprised she wasn't parroting Teach The Controversy.

Reasonable doubt my ass.
She's not dumb . . . she's just a brain-washed Jesus freak.

She is so religious that she blots out anything that doesn't fit her demon-haunted world.

JCX

I hope Bachmann survives longer in the primaries, so Romney will have to play to the far right longer.

Such a cute way to protest.

Left-wing activists shower Pawlenty with confetti
Fri Jun 17, 7:19 pm ET
SAN FRANCISCO – A left-wing activist group is claiming responsibility for a copycat confetti attack on Republican presidential hopeful Tim Pawlenty in San Francisco.

A video posted by CodePink shows two of its activists Thursday dumping pink confetti on a table where the ex-Minnesota governor was signing books at a health insurance industry conference.

Stone-faced Pawlenty aides vigorously brushed the pink, shimmery fluff off the table as the activists chastised Pawlenty for his conservative views on gay rights and abortion.
San Francisco police led the pair away. Pawlenty campaign spokesman Alex Conant said he had no comment on the stunt.

CodePink says the action was inspired by a similar incident in Minneapolis when an activist showered ex-House Speaker and GOP presidential aspirant Newt Gingrich with glitter. Watch the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGQAqieZjO8

Of course the real controversy is "Why is a presidential candidate doing private paid speeches?" That seems like a way to get around campaign finance laws. Oh wait, we don't have campaign finance laws any more. :-(

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I'm consistently shocked at seeing Bill Maher of all people ganging up on Anthony Wiener. :/

JCX said:
I hope Bachmann survives longer in the primaries, so Romney will have to play to the far right longer.
I think she has a good shot of winning Iowa and that should give her lots of money to propel her for months.

Jackson50

Cyan said:
Totally. :lol
Well could you humor me and say just for today make up a mockup for what the top stories might be and how it would be different that say if the AP, BBC, or Guardian reported. I don't mean to be annoying I get what you're saying I just want to see how it can be applied using real data. It doesn't have to be long or anything.

I am working with the assumption that resources are limited and improving access brings other non-related benefits. I also cannot believe that if versed in critical thinking and having access that they cannot use commercial media and be informed.
The problem is not necessarily gathering the news. It is disseminating the news. Moreover, a British daily and a British public television channel are peculiar choices given the American milieu from which this discussion arose. I think a more apt comparison would be commercial television news. Rather than focus on Casey Anthony, Father's Day gift ideas, and other extraneous information, a public media channel could cover the removal of ethanol subsidies, the decoupling of sanctions for the Taliban and al-Qa'ida, and the prospective budget cuts for the nation's weather satellite system. And rather than a blurb, they could actually provide some depth and context.

I think you need to start a little earlier and go back to the New Deal at least for the start.

Not really. Southern conservative Democrats supported the New Deal. The split with the national party was always about race. The place it starts is integration of the army, which prompted Strom Thurmond to run as president for the Dixiecrat party (southern conservative Democrats). He was unsuccessful and they came back to the national Democratic party (the impetus for which came from the national Democratic party and which a Democratic president signed). Until the Civil Rights Act of 1964, after which they abandoned it for good (with Strom Thurmond leading the charge once again; he became a Republican that same year). Although that has been a slow process which is in fact still occurring today. That's why some southern states (e.g. Louisiana) still had Democratic Senators until recently and why some have them even still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom