• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2011: Of Weiners, Boehners, Santorum, and Teabags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeels

TacticalFox88 said:
Good journalist, but incredibly boring to listen too. :/

Sure, although I prefer my commentators without sensationalism. I don't get bored at all listening to eloquent speakers.

RustyNails said:
I suppose this is why everyone says NPR is stale and boring? smh. kids these days.
NPR is fucking amazing. Fareed comes of as if he was bored about what he's talking about, although we know that's not the case

aceface

I love how the final sticking point is now Repubs think too much is being cut (from defense spending). Do you guys want to decrease the debt or don't you?

Wilsongt

aceface said:
I love how the final sticking point is now Repubs think too much is being cut (from defense spending). Do you guys want to decrease the debt or don't you?

CUT EVERYTHING! ...except the bloated defense budget!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Zakaria is great.

TacticalFox88 said:
NPR is fucking amazing. Fareed comes of as if he was bored about what he's talking about, although we know that's not the case

It sounds like dispassionate reason, which is nice.

Chichikov

aceface said:
Seriously, anyone here still think they care about the deficit?
I mean, they care about it more than they care about social security or pell grants, but they don't care about those programs in general.

TacticalFox88 said:
I like his style, but in any case, he's more of an author than a talking head.
Check his written stuff.

eznark

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
Obama pretending like the American people's tweets had anything to do with this piece of shit

He just wants to be able to take credit for something.

Damn, I missed the whole thing!

Deku

Banned
So no 2nd vote on the debt ceiling before the elections?

How does this work? How much are they raising the debt ceiling by for 1 trillion in cuts?

eznark

Banned
planar1280 said:
he won in the end. compromise. this will get him elected

How?

Now, not getting a deal would have killed him but bending over and taking it like this won't do him any favors come November 2012.

Chichikov

Ugh, CNN is playing it like it's some sort of compromise.
Which I guess it is, but it's a compromise between Boehner and the Tea Party.

planar1280 said:

Mo-1.gif

Chichikov

planar1280 said:
Even if you focus on nothing but the horse race you're wrong.
Austerity kills recoveries, just look at England.
He'll get the blame for the sluggish economy, and he deserves it.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
SoulPlaya said:
Holy crap, this is a terrible deal. Absolutely terrible.

I'm waiting on the final details. If they caved on Defense Spending cuts, then yes.

Pell grants?

I've latched onto them, even if they might not be a huge deal in the grand scheme. I don't know if I can take it if they were cut as well.

eznark said:
How?

Now, not getting a deal would have killed him but bending over and taking it like this won't do him any favors come November 2012.

1. Debt limit hiked by 2.4 Trillion

2. Super Congress will get to cut an 1.2 trillion from spending cuts, tax hikes etc

3. If 2 becomes an issue, automatic spending cuts will occur between social and defense programs on a 1:1 basis.

4. Domestic cuts include Medicare but expempt Social Security and Medicaid

5. If the committee fails to produce tax reform by November , Obama has the right to veto any extention of Bush tax cuts.

6. There is no trigger vote on balanced budget amendment which the Tea Party wanted.

7. Revenue increases are in the mix, it is allowed along with spending cuts for the Super Congress

it is not a perfect deal but it is a deal which removes all Tea Party demands and removes all Progressive Democrats demands. That is the Compromise. This is a centrist agreement. Progressive GAF may not like it, Hotair.com and donttreadonme.com may not like it. but this will work well with centrists

ezekial45

Banned
Please the pell grants are safe, please the pell grants are safe, please the pell grants are safe, please the pell grants are safe, please the pell grants are safe, please the pell grants are safe, please the pell grants are safe, please the pell grants are safe....

eznark

Banned
planar1280 said:
1. Debt limit hiked by 2.4 Trillion

2. Super Congress will get to cut an 1.2 trillion from spending cuts, tax hikes etc

3. If 2 becomes an issue, automatic spending cuts will occur between social and defense programs on a 1:1 basis.

4. Domestic cuts include Medicare but expempt Social Security and Medicaid

5. If the committee fails to produce tax reform by November , Obama has the right to veto any extention of Bush tax cuts.

6. There is no trigger vote on balanced budget amendment which the Tea Party wanted.

7. Revenue increases are in the mix, it is allowed along with spending cuts for the Super Congress

You realize that all the GOP has to do is throw a monkey wrench into the blue ribbon commission, force cuts to both spending AND entitlements, and Obama is fucked.

Y2Kev said:
Does the tea party dislike it? If they do, at least I can enjoy that satisfaction.
From what CBS news said, yes, the Tea Party is furious and think the cuts to social programs don't go deep enough and the military cuts are too much.

So basically the exact reaction you would expect.

Wall

He spends the first part of his speech talking about deficit reduction and cutting spending, then ends saying that he wants to turn to creating jobs and stimulating the economy ....... That .... does not compute.

The only way for the government to stimulate the economy and create jobs right now is to have the government engage in deficit spending. I'm sure the conversation will make nice theater though.

The only way that I hold out any hope is through the idea that President Obama's mystifying focus on cutting social programs (I refuse to refer to them as entitlements) is an attempt to stabilize the long term budget in order to open the way politically for short term stimulus spending.

Still, if cuts to Medicare include measures like raising the retirement age or cuts to providers that cause even more doctors to drop the program, that would be a bad thing ..... It would also harm the chances of Democrats, whose best chance of retaking the House and retaining the Senate lies in posing as defenders of that program.

I do hate the way he sort of threw his own party under the bus by equating them with the Republicans in terms of how far they have been willing to compromise.

eznark said:
You realize that all the GOP has to do is throw a monkey wrench into the blue ribbon commission, force cuts to both spending AND entitlements, and Obama is fucked.

you realise that there is an automatic trigger to make sure if a wrench is thrown, it will be triggered if a vote is not done.

balladofwindfishes said:
From what CBS news said, yes, the Tea Party is furious and think the cuts to social programs don't go deep enough and the military cuts are too much.

I think the Tea Party will NEVER be satisfied. They just want something to be angry about.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
balladofwindfishes said:

yes!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom