• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2011: Of Weiners, Boehners, Santorum, and Teabags

Status
Not open for further replies.

KtSlime

Thunder Monkey said:
He's America's first African American president.

Being the first at that means your spine and testes are rock solid.

Really? I've always based my determination of whether a person is spineless/has balls or not based on if they follow through on promises they made.

Almost 3 years after the election and I am still waiting for him to become a democratic president, still waiting to see what HOPE amounted to, and still waiting to see change. I held up my end of the deal by voting for him, now it is his turn to make good on campaign promises.

GhaleonEB said:
I missed that article about the way the drain of economists from Obama's administration has enabled the political shop to develop policy.

Fucking tragic.

I wonder whether economists were fleeing the administration because the political idiots were empowered, or they became empowered because the economists fled the administration.

Why state when the president is bent on winning short term political battles at the expense of long term economic policy.

So I had a revelation today guys. I finally understand why a 2 party system does not work. Every candidate likes to claim they can work across party lines, and yes if a candidate could do that, that would be amazing. However, due to the other party wanting to be elected so badly, they will make it impossible for the current guy in office to work across party lines.

So even if Republicans want to agree with a policy change in congress, they will vote it down anyway so in November Obama can't say he was able to work across party lines. Then the Republican candidate in debate against Obama can say "I will make SURE that we work across party lines...Obama was unable to do so"

Then when the Republican takes office, the same shit happens in reverse.

Anyways, this is more of a conspiracy than a revelation but I love conspiracies and I feel that this happens!

Rubenov

Ecotic said:
Oh man, Bachmann's going to be on all the Sunday shows this morning. This is going to be entertaining.

Rooting for Bachmann to win this thing... nothing could be better for Obama and the Dems.

Well, we now know the race is limited to 4 candidates. Romney on the left. Bachmann and Perry on the right. Ron Paul as the wild card. Cain and Huntsman finishing behind Santorum in the Iowa straw poll tells me they are done.

Bachmann I feel is going to be the underdog in the fight for far right voters due to the amount of money Perry can bring in. Also with Pawlenty gone, I feel Perry is going to pick up most of his voters. Pawlenty was running on his record of results compared to Bachmann not having achieved anything. Based on that, his supporters should gravitate towards Perry. Also, I highly doubt that Pawlenty will endorse her.

Iowa is going to be a tough fight. Ron Paul is going to get a good chunk of the vote and will be in the top three on primary night, if not number one. He could do it if Perry and Bachmann split the far right vote. Bachmann has a good organization already up and running in Iowa as shown by the straw poll. Perry needs to decide how much he'll commit to the state. If he goes overboard and loses, then he is done. If he does some moderate campaigning while really focusing on South Carolina and Florida, then I feel he'll have a better shot. But does he really want to concede the momentum to Bachmann? Tough call, but he'll definitely will out fund raise her.

Edit: Also the political target on Perry's back just became bigger. Bachmann does not have to worry about Romney because they are going after two different types of voters. Both Romney and Bachmann are going to want to bring Perry down. I feel this is going to get ugly.

i really hope ron paul wins this somehow... regardless of what you think of him, at the very least he takes the narrative down roads not often openly discussed by candidates and that kind of fresh perspective or niche perspective is DESPERATELY needed in our "democracy" at the moment

Karma Kramer said:
i really hope ron paul wins this somehow... regardless of what you think of him, at the very least he takes the narrative down roads not often openly discussed by candidates and that kind of fresh perspective or niche perspective is DESPERATELY needed in our "democracy" at the moment
He has a good chance in Iowa and needs it to actually continue. He has a lot of strong support, but nothing really past that. A typical politician would compromise some of his beliefs in order to expand his base, but Paul refuses to do this. He'll stick to his off the wall ideals even though it will cost him. The problem is even if he does win Iowa, the establishment will try to bring him down. You'll see a lot of attacks come his way from candidates as well as super PACs. I don't really know what his road map is after Iowa. New Hampshire I feel is a forgone conclusion for Romney. What is Paul going to do in South Carolina against Rick Perry? He might become this cycle's Huckabee and just be the ringer for Bachmann's failed bid.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Since Corporations are people does that mean the actual population according to the census is more like 400+ million for the USA? :p

Karma Kramer said:
A lot of normally solid Republican interests (defense contractors, energy companies that get big subsidies, healthcare companies dependent on Medicaid,etc) would line up behind Obama if Paul won the nomination. Most CEOs and businessmen give lip service to free market ideals, but they know the economy would fall off a cliff if anything close to an libertarian landed in the white house.

Bachmann said she spoke to seniors and they said they worried they would have to cancel their internet and satellite dish because Obama said the checks may not go out to the retirees.

Internet and Satellite dish? REALLY? :lol:

Loudninja

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Bachmann said she spoke to seniors and they said they worried they would have to cancel their internet and satellite dish because Obama said the checks may not go out to the retirees.

Internet and Satellite dish? REALLY? :lol:
Huh?

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
ivedoneyourmom said:
Really? I've always based my determination of whether a person is spineless/has balls or not based on if they follow through on promises they made.

Almost 3 years after the election and I am still waiting for him to become a democratic president, still waiting to see what HOPE amounted to, and still waiting to see change. I held up my end of the deal by voting for him, now it is his turn to make good on campaign promises.

Interesting...

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/obameter/

I wish we had a way to compare how other presidents have done.

Brettison said:
Since Corporations are people does that mean the actual population according to the census is more like 400+ million for the USA? :p

Corporations are legal persons. They have been since the days of British common law. I'm not entirely sure why this is suddenly such a controversial thing.

Maybe the folks who have studied law more than I have can shed light on the subject, but a legally defined person is not just a human being, but an agency, union, corporation, trustee, etc. who has certain rights and duties. If corporations weren't persons, you couldn't sue them.

SecretMoblin said:
Corporations are legal persons. They have been since the days of British common law. I'm not entirely sure why this is suddenly such a controversial thing.

Maybe the folks who have studied law more than I have can shed light on the subject, but a legally defined person is not just a human being, but an agency, union, corporation, trustee, etc. who has certain rights and duties. If corporations weren't persons, you couldn't sue them.
This is correct, but it's not as fun as the "lolthe roberts court made this all up" doctrine of political discussion.

Tamanon

Banned
Isn't a bit sad to go from a possible front-runner to dropping out before the actual first primary?

Pawlenty's political career might be over now.

SecretMoblin said:

It is not the corporate personhood doctrine per se that people have a problem with. It is the bestowing of constitutional rights on the legal fiction to which objection is rightly made.

elrechazao said:
This is correct, but it's not as fun as the "lolthe roberts court made this all up" doctrine of political discussion.

Lol the Roberts court is right. The court has significantly extended constitutional protections for corporations, reversing the American revolution and undermining popular sovereignty even further. As a lawyer, you should know that.

Ovid

ezekial45 said:
Hmm? What happened?
David Gregory (Meet the Press) asked her to comment on position on the gay community. He used one of her quotes from a few years ago to kick off the discussion.

Lets just say it didn't go well for her.

empty vessel said:
It is not the corporate personhood doctrine per se that people have a problem with. It is the bestowing of constitutional rights on the legal fiction to which objection is rightly made.

Lol the Roberts court is right. The court has significantly extended constitutional protections for corporations, reversing the American revolution and undermining popular sovereignty even further. As a lawyer, you should know that.
As a lawyer I should agree with your opinion on this? I don't, so perhaps I ought to disbar myself.

http://www.texasmonthly.com/cms/printthis.php?file=feature7.php&issue=2011-09-01

the 10 campaign opponents of rick perry:

Forget about death and taxes. Today, there are only two sure things in life: Every few years Rick Perry will run for office, and every few years Rick Perry will grind his opponents into dust. Since 1984, the man once derided as “Governor Good Hair” has participated in ten contested elections and won all of them. A few were against relatively weak opposition, but many were against prominent figures who were expected to give Perry a run for his money. Jim Hightower, John Sharp, Tony Sanchez, Chris Bell, Carole Keeton Strayhorn, Kay Bailey Hutchison, Bill White—you could competently govern a medium-sized republic with political talent like that. But all of them fell to Perry’s deep coffers, disciplined campaign style, occasional refusal to debate, and (semi-) popularity among Texans. What is it like to run against the man who may well be the most successful state politician in Texas history? To find out, we spoke to eleven people with intimate knowledge of what is, after dying and paying taxes, the most unpleasant experience a politician can endure. Mitt Romney, Michele Bachmann, Barack Obama: Read closely.

empty vessel said:

I disagree with a whole lot of what the Roberts court has done, but "reversing the American revolution" is more than a bit much.

[Nintex]

Suikoguy said:
On another subject:
Still not sure if this is just Campaign Obama™, or an Obama that finally gets the republicans ARE largely to blame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seIZB6qQEWY

It does seem a bit early for campaign Obama, and the shift did occur after the debt ceiling fiasco. But, I'm also suffering from "sky if falling" syndrome. Furthermore, the campaign cycle continues to get longer and longer.
Any of those bills he discussed are good for the US and will score Obama points, so the republicans will shoot them down. The problem with the GOP from my 'outsider'
perspective seems to be that they picked this route and think that they can't back down or change strategies because it would ruin/hurt them during election time.

In the Netherlands we were in the same boat once, two parties tried to get absolute control by takings shots at each other which lead to those two parties winning the elections. They didn't finish their term and they had accomplished nothing in 3 years. Each side was willing to blow up the government and both already had a surprise cooking for the next elections. Luckily for us that didn't work out and another party who had kept themselves out of the fire, mud slinging and poo throwing won the elections that followed. Overall it was a dangerous and chaotic display(they started this shit during the economic crisis of 2008) and we fell behind France and Germany when it came to economic recovery. I feel bad for you guys because you only have two parties and no viable alternative.

Rick Perry? A few months back he was so fed up with America that he wanted Texas to secede from it. Now he decides he wants to run it. What's he going to decide if he gets the chance? Is he going to funnel all your tax money into Texas?

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
last night Chuck Todd giddily pointed out that Pawlenty was back in it because of the 3rd place finish, and today he pulls out.

words cannot describe my disgust for Chuck Todd and his transformation into a beltway pundit over these four years.

Tamanon said:
Isn't a bit sad to go from a possible front-runner to dropping out before the actual first primary?

he was only the front-runner because the establishment and press said he was. he never polled well.

besada

Banned
Incognito said:

Great collection of reminiscences. I was particularly saddened when he beat Hightower, who was one of my political heroes when I was in my twenties.
Jim Hightower said:
Rove got frustrated with him and sent him out to West Texas to attend Farm Bureau county meetings while Rove raised, I think it was about $3 million, and threw it into TV ads against me. They ran ads of me endorsing Jesse Jackson—ran that in East Texas. One ad showed a hippie setting a flag on fire and throwing it on the ground, and my picture came up out of the flames. So I had supporters in Dallas and Houston and East Texas who said, “Well, I liked ol’ Hightower but I didn’t know he burned flags.”

There was a debate on Channel 13 in Dallas. Just the usual stuff. He tried to use some of the Rove negative things, including the flag-burning stuff, I think. Off the cuff, he was nondescript. He hadn’t really developed any political chops at the time. Obviously he has since. I think he’s a good campaigner. I think that’s the one thing he actually does well, as opposed to actually governing or having actual ideas or principles.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Incognito said:

This is what worries me. For as much as an ignorant dickhead Perry is and all the questionable shit he's done he has the disturbing ability to win elections. In the 2010 governor's race he tried to duck out of debating Bill White by insisting White publicize some tax forms. When those forms were presented, Perry just decided he wasn't going to debate White anyway. No one seemed to notice nor care, and soon after that here we are in our third term with this asshole.

EV said it best: Everything Bush tried to be, Perry actually is.

scorcho said:
last night Chuck Todd giddily pointed out that Pawlenty was back in it because of the 3rd place finish, and today he pulls out.

words cannot describe my disgust for Chuck Todd and his transformation into a beltway pundit over these four years.

he was only the front-runner because the establishment and press said he was. he never polled well.

latest from chuckster:
Oddly, with Pawlenty out and Perry shaking up race for conservatives, u can argue there's an opening for, say, Christie or Ryan, to rethink

no you couldn't.

Simplet

So I just learned that you guys in America had a little rehearsal for next year's primaries and the results where freaking Bachmann finishing first followed by Ron Paul of all people?

Is this little election just for fun or does it have some significance? Because if it does the right is in a worst state than I thought in the US, wow.

Hootie

Simplet said:
So I just learned that you guys in America had a little rehearsal for next year's primaries and the results where freaking Bachmann finishing first followed by Ron Paul of all people?

Is this little election just for fun or does it have some significance? Because if it does the right is in a worst state than I thought in the US, wow.

It's pretty meaningless. Romney won by 15% in 2007 and look how that turned out.

Simplet said:

The Iowa poll is different. You have to pay like $30 dollars for a ballot, so not everyone votes. It's only for the really dedicated and the campaigns usually provide the ballots for their supporters. Basically it's a measure of the candidates ground game in Iowa. Pawlenty probably dropped out because his donors left him, or he saw some internal polling of what Perry entering the race would look like.

Incognito said:
This makes it sound like Perry is unprepared for a presidential election. Refusing to debate or answer reporters questions will not be an option. Also, he should tune down the arrogance this piece gives off. It also sounds like how Obama runs campaigns: stay on message and don't cause drama.

knitoe

Simplet said:

You have to pay money to attend and vote in that Straw poll. Only diehards do that. Realistically, it's going to come down to Rommey and Perry. And, it will probably be Perry unless Romney destroyed Perry in the debates. The other "leading" candidates are too fringe for most Republicans and general election audience.

Most GAFers want Buchman or Paul because it means their man Obama would easily win.

thefro

DOO13ER said:
This is what worries me. For as much as an ignorant dickhead Perry is and all the questionable shit he's done he has the disturbing ability to win elections. In the 2010 governor's race he tried to duck out of debating Bill White by insisting White publicize some tax forms. When those forms were presented, Perry just decided he wasn't going to debate White anyway. No one seemed to notice nor care, and soon after that here we are in our third term with this asshole.

EV said it best: Everything Bush tried to be, Perry actually is.

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/06/poll-perry-trails-obama-in-texas.php

Well, Obama is beating Perry in Texas right now.

Wilsongt

RustyNails said:
wol90.jpg

My God that man is gay. Something needs to happen so he can come out of his closet and completely ruin the Bachmann campaign. Though, I have a feeling Michelle already knows and has threatened him profusely. "If it comes out that you love cock, I swear to God I will never buy you another matching purse to go with your shoes EVER AGAIN."

scorcho said:

Chuck Todd has always been terrible. He was greatly hyped on GAF before the last election for being the "numbers guy". He's now a beltway insider with the charisma of a rock.

Souldriver said:
I also think he genuinely believes all should be done to reach a compromise between the democrats and republicans, no matter how unreasonable one of them is. In his biography he mentions it time and time again how the "political process" of compromise and reaching over the isle is the most important aspect of good policy.

I'm sure he's frustrated by the unreasonable GOP, and that if he didn't need to get re-elected, he'd probably be more assertive. But his genuine and strong belief in the aforementioned probably also is responsible for him being a pussy, and that probably will also affect his potential second term.
Great post. I believe Obama would love to be nicknamed the "Bipartisan President" or some such.

Tamanon said:

Unless someone picks him as VP, which I still think is a real possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom