• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2011: Of Weiners, Boehners, Santorum, and Teabags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Guyz, I got a request. I need help coming up with a name for a character that I'm creating for my political web comic. This character is an animal, but I haven't decided what kind of animal, but it has to be cute like a gerbil, or hamster or something to that effect. And it has to have some intentionally horrible pun, based on a founding father (ex. Bearjamin Franklin).

The winner will get $10 paypalled to their account.

ToxicAdam

Ibexander Hamilton
John Flock (have it be a bird)

--- /// ---

Check out this weird coalition:

As the congressional "supercommittee" readies its much-anticipated debt-cutting plan, a quartet of strange-bedfellow groups -- two green and two fiscally conservative -- today joined forces to pitch $380 billion in cuts to what they billed as environmentally harmful federal subsidies.

The four nonprofits -- Taxpayers for Common Sense, Friends of the Earth, Public Citizen and the Heartland Institute -- took broad aim at high political priorities of Republicans and Democrats alike in their budget-slashing Green Scissors report. Among the spending items they eyed for phaseout are several of the oil and gas tax breaks unsuccessfully targeted by the White House this year, nuclear power loan guarantees, and a Department of Energy high-tech research program prized by the Obama administration.

Even while offering their slate of energy-money slices to the supercommittee, which must propose more than $1 trillion of cuts to fellow lawmakers by Thanksgiving as part of this month's sweeping debt limit deal, the advocacy groups acknowledged that many programs they oppose maintain powerful constituencies on Capitol Hill.

"While these cuts are low-hanging fruit" for the four groups, Heartland Vice President Eli Lehrer told reporters today, "we're not maintaining that they're going to be easy cuts to make."

Some of the cuts likely would face weaker resistance than others, such as a proposed repeal of farm supports that were on the chopping block during early spending talks led by Vice President Joe Biden. But others that appear to have momentum face a murky future -- for instance, while the ethanol blenders' tax credit was overwhelmingly rejected by the Senate this year, an alliance of biofuel reformers failed to attach its repeal to the debt-limit deal (E&ENews PM, July 26).

The report was endorsed by Rep. Earl Blumenauer (D-OR) and former conservative Rep. Bob Inglis (R-SC). But it’s really a common-sense proposal, which includes canceling subsidies like $39 billion for ethanol and tens of billions for the oil and gas industry, but also hundreds of billions from ending Last In, First Out Accounting. The coalition would cut almost $50 billion in pure giveaways to the nuclear industry, including liability insurance that puts the taxpayer on the ultimate hook for any accident

http://www.nytimes.com/gwire/2011/0...op-list-of-subsidy-cuts-urged-by-s-57924.html

Of course it will fall on deaf ears ...

SolKane

Oblivion said:
Guyz, I got a request. I need help coming up with a name for a character that I'm creating for my political web comic. This character is an animal, but I haven't decided what kind of animal, but it has to be cute like a gerbil, or hamster or something to that effect. And it has to have some intentionally horrible pun, based on a founding father (ex. Bearjamin Franklin).

Alexander Hamsterton?
Thomas Heiferson (he'd have to be a cow)?

That's all I've got. Maybe you could subcontract this to Count Dookake.

Oblivion said:

Georbil Washington, James Mousedison and Alexand-hare Hamilton

besada

Banned
Oblivion said:
How about a pig named Alexander HAMilton? Too subtle?
Alexander Hamsterton?
Aaron Burro?
William Alpaca? (I'm getting into some obscure founding fathers here)
Charles Goatworth Pinckney?
James Badgerson?
Richard Bassetthound?
Ethan Stallion?
John Bluejay?
Rufus Kingaroo?

That's all I got. You're welcome to any of them. No charge.

besada

Banned
SolKane said:
Alexander Hamsterton?
Thomas Heiferson (he'd have to be a cow)?

That's all I've got. Maybe you could subcontract this to Count Dookake.
I had both those, but left Heiferson off because it was a cow. I guess a tiny cow would be cute. I wanted to come up with something for Thomas Paine and never could figure anything out.

Cyan

Banned
besada said:
I had both those, but left Heiferson off because it was a cow. I guess a tiny cow would be cute. I wanted to come up with something for Thomas Paine and never could figure anything out.
Thomas Paine-da.

Oblivion said:

Tho-mouse Jefferson
Alex Badger Hamilton
Teddy/Franklin Moosevelt
John F Wren-eddy

Oh shit you did say Founding Father, ignore those last two.

Paul Reindeer
Thomas Craine
William Catterson (or Catrick Henry) (could use Rat rather than cat, but rats aren't generally considered cute)

ToxicAdam

The politicization of natural resource estimation? I hope not.

Federal geologists published new estimates this week for the amount of natural gas that exists in a giant rock formation known as the Marcellus Shale, which stretches from New York to Virginia.

The shale formation has about 84 trillion cubic feet of undiscovered, technically recoverable natural gas, according to the report from the United States Geological Survey. This is drastically lower than the 410 trillion cubic feet that was published earlier this year by the federal Energy Information Administration.

As a result, the Energy Information Administration, which is responsible for quantifying oil and gas supplies, has said it will slash its official estimate for the Marcellus Shale by nearly 80 percent, a move that is likely to generate new questions about how the agency calculates its estimates and why it was so far off in its projections.

The decision by the agency to lower the estimates comes amid growing scrutiny from Congress about how the administration calculates its numbers and why it depends on outside and industry-tied consultants to produce some of its reports.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/25/us/25gas.html

“If the country is going to embrace natural gas as the fuel of the future,” said Bill Powers, the editor of the Powers Energy Investor, an energy research publication, “there needs to be a lot more transparency in how these estimates are calculated and a more skeptical and informed discussion about the economics of shale gas.”

Oh, I doubt that will happen, Mr. Powers.

PhoenixDark said:
Pushing it no doubt. But at the same time I can't help but remember that if Bush had done these things, he would have planned a parade, commissioned a play, and flew a helicopter in celebration. Obama has been effective yet hasn't really exploited it much.
And why should he exploit it?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Apparently Oregon forgot to get the memo when oil dropped to ~$80/barrel. Prices haven't moved at all in the past three-four weeks.

Measley

PhoenixDark said:
Oh I don't think he should, was just pointing out the contrast between his administration and Bush's

I think Obama landing on an Aircraft carrier wearing a pilot outfit would be as cheesy as when Bush did it in 2003.

Sad thing is, the right eats that shit up when a Republican does it.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
dave is ok said:
Yet prices move immediately when barrel prices raise, hmmmm
I was out of town last week in the midwest, and there is a good $.60/gal difference between there and here.

eznark

Banned
empty vessel said:
Yep, good job oppressor.

Heh.

I still wish Prosser had stepped down as a result of this. The speed with which that "victory" would have turned to horror when Walker appointed some 28 year old uber-conservative would have been hilarious.

eznark said:
No charges filed against David Prosser or Ann Walsh Bradley in the Supreme Court Scuffle.

http://www.postcrescent.com/article...charges-against-Supreme-Court-Justice-Prosser

The last salvo has been fired and failed. The public unions are falling left and right and all it cost the GOP was two senate seats for a few months.

Impressive victory.

fuuuuu this is bad, but we already know that labor is on it's way out of America. And then service is on it's way out with the advancement of technology.

Cantor: Want disaster relief? I want spending cuts in exchange!

This week, Virginia experienced a magnitude 5.8 earthquake, one of the most powerful tremors on the east coast since 1897. As Virginians scramble to assess the damage, House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-VA) quickly returned from his trip in Israel to survey the damage done to his congressional district.

“There is an appropriate federal role in incidents like this,” Cantor said. That role? The bare minimum. According to Cantor, Congress’s traditional practice of providing disaster relief without strings attached — a policy its followed for years — is going way beyond the call of duty. If Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell (R) asks for federal aid, Cantor insists that the relief be offset elsewhere in the federal budget:

The next step will be for Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell (R) to decide whether to make an appeal for federal aid, Cantor said. The House Majority Leader would support such an effort but would look to offset the cost elsewhere in the federal budget.
“All of us know that the federal government is busy spending money it doesn’t have,” Cantor said in Culpeper, where the quake damaged some buildings along a busy shopping thoroughfare. [...]
Cantor did not offer specifics on potential offsets

While touring the damage in his district, Cantor surmised, “Obviously, the problem is that people in Virginia don’t have earthquake insurance.” As the Insurance Information Institute notes, “earthquakes are not covered under standard U.S. homeowners or business insurance policies, although supplemental coverage is usually available.” So, for Cantor, the problem here is that Virginians didn’t have the foresight to predict an exceedingly rare natural disaster and pay out of their own pocket in advance.

If absolutely nothing else, Cantor is at least consistent in his callous attitude. When Americans were struggling to recover from the deadly tornado that tore through south in May, Cantor also demanded that any disaster relief be offset with cuts. Apparently, to Cantor, the “appropriate role” for public servants is to completely fail the public they serve.

Jesus christ.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom