• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
But if part of it is struck down, how is the rest propped up? The individual mandate is what holds this thing together, no?

Correct. It's there to ensure that healthy people participate in the pool so that the insurance functions as insurance (instead of just a general fund that only sick people contribute to)

codhand

passes the ball to Kennedy, Kennedy puts it up, annd.....

1101120618_600.jpg

thefro

here it comes :|

--

Edit, never mind, it was just a list of cases they are picking up.... I saw a couple "Sebelius v.s. " and thought it was the health care decisions.

thefro

Sounds like most of the Arizona Immigration law stuck down, sans a couple things (like police checking immigration status of people they've arrested before releasing them).

ToxicAdam

A study on public debt.

Carmen Reinhart, Vincent Reinhart, and Kenneth Rogoff look at the effect of prolonged high levels of government debt on long-term growth, concluding that “the cumulative effects can be quite dramatic.”

“We identify the major public debt overhang episodes in the advanced economies since the early 1800s, characterized by public debt to GDP levels exceeding 90% for at least five years. Consistent with Reinhart and Rogoff (2010) and other more recent research, we find that public debt overhang episodes are associated with growth over one percent lower than during other periods. Perhaps the most striking new finding here is the duration of the average debt overhang episode. Among the 26 episodes we identify, 20 lasted more than a decade. Five of the six shorter episodes were immediately after World Wars I and II. Across all 26 cases, the average duration in years is about 23 years. The long duration belies the view that the correlation is caused mainly by debt buildups during business cycle recessions. The long duration also implies that cumulative shortfall in output from debt overhang is potentially massive. We find that growth effects are significant even in the many episodes where debtor countries were able to secure continual access to capital markets at relatively low real interest rates. That is, growth-reducing effects of high public debt are apparently not transmitted exclusively through high real interest rates.”

http://www.nber.org/papers/w18015.pdf

That one can't doesn't assume the other can.

So the state can't make limitations on free speech, then? That has tons of fun implications.

I wish I had as much speech to express as some of these rich people and corporations.

You just need to pull yourself up by your bootstraps and then sell those bootstraps in an IPO for $16 billion.

Sounds like most of the Arizona Immigration law stuck down, sans a couple things (like police checking immigration status of people they've arrested before releasing them).

Would those 'couple things' happen to be referring to Section 2(B)? Because it seems more that they haven't yet ruled on those.

Also from TP:

Two significant points about the decision is that the Court voted 8-0 to reject this particular challenge to the show me your papers provision, with Kagan recused. The majority opinion also leaves open the possibility that a future challenge to this provision could succeed, including a claim that the law leads to unconstitutional racial profiling.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Scalia says he would uphold all parts of the arizona law. What a patriot. -_-

Tamanon

Banned
I love how on CNN, they immediately try to shoehorn any supreme court decision into the political impact as opposed to the legal impact.

SB1070 decision is good for Obama. It also gives the press 3 days to focus on it before AZ decision comes.

I wonder what Romney will say...

Nothing...ECONOMY!!

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
SB1070 decision is good for Obama. It also gives the press 3 days to focus on it before AZ decision comes.

I wonder what Romney will say...

Nothing...ECONOMY!!

Ehh, I think there is only one thing on the peoples' and press' minds: healthcare. Especially since the "Show me your papers" line is still intact of the AZ law.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I can see the mandate being struck down as well as the essential thing it allows- guaranteed coverage. I'm not sure how you can strike down one and not the other.

I'm not sure either, but if both aren't struck down, private insurance will be obliterated.

Kosmo

Banned
Was Kagan significantly more involved in immigration issues that healthcare issues?

Probably more involved in the healthcare issues, since it was a THE key piece of legislation for Obama.

I'm not sure either, but if both aren't struck down, private insurance will be obliterated.

You do know that there are many insurers that have guaranteed issue, right?

eznark

Banned
I can see the mandate being struck down as well as the essential thing it allows- guaranteed coverage. I'm not sure how you can strike down one and not the other.

Well if they actually want to get political, it's the way to go. Romney can blame Obamacare for the immediate 20% rise in rates that people are claiming will happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom