• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
These two sentences right next to each other like this is hilarious...its like he's not listening to what he's saying. I'm honestly curious now, if asked, how would he define a government handout? Does he think that if the government
goes to other people it won't go back into the economy?

What may appear as a government handout to people on the left, is actually good ole fashion self reliance by hard workin, god fearin, real Americans.

In other words, IOIYAR.

I can't stand this lady. She is Reince Preibus in even more ridiculous stupidity.

I wouldn't go that far. Preibus IS pretty fucking stupid, but yeah, so is Debbie.

Wasn't Snyder the governor who signed into law that allows the state to appoint (essentially) dictators of cities and towns under certain conditions?

DasRaven

Wasn't Snyder the governor who signed into law that allows the state to appoint (essentially) dictators of cities and towns under certain conditions?

I think the Snyder's supporters prefer you call them "Emergency Managers" while they stomp on your right to representation. The people of the toppled municipalities call them "Ricktators."

Diablos

I hate Murdoch but he's right. Romney has no backbone and is so neutral/safe it hurts. And he was right about Obama being so damn electable in 2008 as well.

He was going to Quebec? Why? That def makes it worse. :p
I dunno, iirc he was going there for some reason.

Granholm ineptitude combined with Snyder getting shit done
We can't afford to lose MI or that's really going to fuck shit up.

Thanks a lot Granholm. >:|

Is anyone forgetting that he could be on Romney's shortlist for VP nom? Seriously, Snyder would really put the state in play I think

Diablos said:
Is anyone forgetting that he could be on Romney's shortlist for VP nom? Seriously, Snyder would really put the state in play I think
Snyder's really unpopular. There are rumors he won't be running for a second term.

PPP tweets: MA senate is still close, but the undecideds go for Obama 60-13. Brown's approval is up 10 points from March but Warren hasn't lost any support. Warren and Brown are tied in 3 out of 4 age groups (I'd take this to mean she's winning young voters).

tranciful

Only part I'm confused about.

CNN's bullet points had something like

Approved:
-"Officers can ask for immigration status"

Thrown out
-"Arizona cannot require illegal immigrants to carry IDs"

I see it being interpreted as "officers can demand papers" -- but do they have to produce papers? Seems like if someone was asked for papers, they could just claim to be legal and that'd be it.

Fox318

Approved:

Thrown out

I see it being interpreted as "officers can demand papers" -- but do they have to produce papers? Seems like if someone was asked for papers, they could just claim to be legal and that'd be it.
US law in a nutshell.

eznark

Banned
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Latest I see is an April poll showing him at 48%? Considering he was in the mid 30's in February, he seems to be doing fine. Are there newer numbers?

Oh, you edited out the mention of his approval rating so I guess that was just pulled out of your ass?

Diablos

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

It's a smart political move to pluck someone out of an environment where the GOP can say "our leaders have been getting things done in areas traditionally dominated by Democratic Party politics." Walker, Snyder, etc.

Not sure what's so funny about making such an observation, but okay.

romney's position regarding having no positions on any issue is increasingly becoming tenuous. no way this strategy lasts till the convention, much less the election.

Kosmo

Banned

It's a smart political move to pluck someone out of an environment where the GOP can say "our leaders have been getting things done in areas traditionally dominated by Democratic Party politics." Walker, Snyder, etc.

Not sure what's so funny about making such an observation, but okay.

Snyder is not national candidate material. I live him for Michigan, but when he speaks he's clearly someone who is not a politician at heart. He's a smart guy and has been a very good governor, but he would not play on the national stage.

Snyder's really unpopular.

Sorry, you're wrong. The recall effort died without gaining any momentum. We haven't really heard a peep since his initial legislation went through about public employee contributions to healthcare and reform on public pension taxes. He has put business on stable ground with the 6% flat business tax and no tax on most small businesses. He has a deal in place to get a new bridge to Canada without using Michigan taxpayer dollars (directly, some of it is through the feds, but mostly paid for by Canada). He has the legislature passing 2 year budgets (the second year being an interim budget) to get away from the bullshit we saw every October as the budget deadline hit. The film "handout" has been reduced to $25M and is not longer pissing away taxpayer money we can't afford.

I can see how, if you were a Granhom-favored interest group you might not like him, but for all intents and purposes, he's doing everything you should want a governor to do if you follow his mantra - simple, fair, equitable.

eznark

Banned
romney's position regarding having no positions on any issue is increasingly becoming tenuous. no way this strategy lasts till the convention, much less the election.

He definitely needs to have an ObamaCare response ready by Monday. He can probably skate the weekend just saying "lol, your signature legislation got shitcanned" but by Monday he is going to have to come up with some alternative, and be able to answer at least somewhat detailed questions about it.

Once ObamaCare is struck down, he can no longer rest on "I'll repeal it" he now has to provide an alternative.

DasRaven

Approved:

Thrown out

Early reportage on this was uniformly terrible as everyone wanted to be first to report.
The deal as we locals are hearing on every radio station and local news right now:

Police can still demand proof of citizenship on suspicion alone. (Papers Please)
Police can no longer arrest without warrant on suspicion or lack of documentation.
It is no longer a crime (trespass) to be in the Arizona and undocumented.
It is no longer a crime (failure to disclose) to not have your immigration registration papers on your person.

All of it is still blocked until the lower court lifts its injunction.

As soon as someone is improperly stopped and subject to a demand of citizenship, the remaining leg of the legislation starts on its way back to the SCOTUS.

Diablos

Snyder is not national candidate material. I live him for Michigan, but when he speaks he's clearly someone who is not a politician at heart. He's a smart guy and has been a very good governor, but he would not play on the national stage.
Eh, he'd be a safe VP candidate but would help embolden the GOP's message in the midwest which is crucial. He just has to shut up and look good by Romney while he lightly brags about making progress in a Democratic stronghold. That's about it. Romney will do the rest.

He definitely needs to have an ObamaCare response ready by Monday. He can probably skate the weekend just saying "lol, your signature legislation got shitcanned" but by Monday he is going to have to come up with some alternative, and be able to answer at least somewhat detailed questions about it.

Once ObamaCare is struck down, he can no longer rest on "I'll repeal it" he now has to provide an alternative.
He can offer what he did in MA -- oh, wait...

tranciful

Early reportage on this was uniformly terrible as everyone wanted to be first to report.
The deal as we locals are hearing on every radio station and local news right now:

Police can still demand proof of citizenship on suspicion alone. (Papers Please)
Police can no longer arrest without warrant on suspicion or lack of documentation.
It is no longer a crime (trespass) to be in the Arizona and undocumented.
It is no longer a crime (failure to disclose) to not have your immigration registration papers on your person.

All of it is still blocked until the lower court lifts its injunction.

As soon as someone is improperly stopped and subject to a demand of citizenship, the remaining leg of the legislation starts on its way back to the SCOTUS.

So, hypotheticals:

Scenario 1:
-Police: Papers, please.
-Illegal: I'm legal
-Police: Have a nice day?

Scenario 2:
-Illegal: Don't have papers. I'm illegal.
-Police: Have a nice day? (though I assume the officer can forward any information to the feds)

I got that right? And a related question -- as I understand it, officers could always ask for papers. The only difference being that, under reasonable suspicion, they are now required to ask for papers. So it seems like a tiny change that won't make much of a difference.

eznark

Banned
Yep. Romney will keep doing it as long as the media is willing to let it slide.

It's pretty sad when even Murdoch can see how pathetic this all is.

Substance doesn't come til after the 4th of July. In a couple of weeks shit will get real. I think the SC decision will accelerate that timeline.

Diablos

precisely
It'll be fun to watch him squirm in debates. How is he going to defend his accomplishments as MA Gov while simultaneously trying to be in favor of a ruling that, afaik, will probably hurt MA health care law as well because it has a mandate, too? Romney vs. Romney vs. Obama vs. SCOTUS. Wheeee!

Substance doesn't come til after the 4th of July. In a couple of weeks shit will get real. I think the SC decision will accelerate that timeline.
Let's hope so. The honeymoon period for Romney should be over considering he probably had the easiest primary season of any Presidential candidate in a zillion years.

DasRaven

So, hypotheticals:

Scenario 1:
-Illegal: I'm legal
-Police: Have a nice day?

Scenario 2:
-Illegal: Don't have papers. I'm illegal.
-Police: Have a nice day? (though I assume the officer can forward any information to the feds)

I got that right? And a related question -- as I understand it, officers could always ask for papers. The only difference being that, under reasonable suspicion, they are now required to ask for papers. So it seems like a tiny change that won't make much of a difference.

Both remain civil offenses (like driving without proof of insurance or a driver's license), but are no longer criminal offenses.
Before SB1070, officers were not compelled to request proof of citizenship on reasonable suspicion, nor were there criteria defining what constitutes reasonable suspicion.
Now after SCOTUS, we'll probably return to that and hope that, as the law mandates, race isn't the sole determinant of reasonable suspicion.

I like Snyder to a degree, certainly more so than Jenny from the block. But Snyder doesn't strike me as a good pick for VP. He contradicts Romney on the auto bailout and seems quite content with getting things done here. I think he'll certainly win reelection unless he starts acting like Walker and pisses off the state's clear democrat majority. I don't think he will though because he doesn't strike me a a regular politician. He's a problem solver who happens to be a republican

tranciful

It'll be fun to watch him squirm in debates. How is he going to defend his accomplishments as MA Gov while simultaneously trying to be in favor of a ruling that, afaik, will probably hurt MA health care law as well because it has a mandate, too?

I might be wrong, but I think it's believed that states can put in those sorts of mandates while the federal gov cannot (even though founding fathers mandated gun ownership and health insurance for sailors).

Clevinger

I doubt he'll offer a real alternative. And if he does, it will just be vague platitudes like his immigration "plan."

Romney's only going to provide substance when the media starts really hounding him on it, and I don't see that happening until it's probably too late.

Kosmo

Banned
I like Snyder to a degree, certainly more so than Jenny from the block. But Snyder doesn't strike me as a good pick for VP. He contradicts Romney on the auto bailout and seems quite content with getting things done here. I think he'll certainly win reelection unless he starts acting like Walker and pisses off the state's clear democrat majority. I don't think he will though because he doesn't strike me a a regular politician. He's a problem solver who happens to be a republican

Pretty much this. He get's asked all the time about wanting "Right to Work" legislation, since it's a Republican position and he pretty much says "If it crosses my desk, I'll evaluate it, but I don't hear a lot of push for it and it's not something I'm going to waste political energy on and distract me from other things that need to be done in the state."

Diablos

You must be young

All Romney had to do was stand there with a shit-eating grin on his face while teatards tore each other apart. Must have been quite an experience for him.

Oh, and he made fun of Rick Perry a couple times. But that's kind of like picking on a kid with special needs. :\

I might be wrong, but I think it's believed that states can put in those sorts of mandates while the federal gov cannot (even though founding fathers mandated gun ownership and health insurance for sailors).
Either way, Romney has a lot of explaining to do.

of course,

I doubt he'll offer a real alternative. And if he does, it will just be vague platitudes like his immigration "plan."

Romney's only going to provide substance when the media starts really hounding him on it, and I don't see that happening until it's probably too late.
This is probably true. The media won't care until the narrative has already been defined. It seems to be playing out that way.

I like Snyder to a degree, certainly more so than Jenny from the block.
lol what, "Jenny from the block" hahaha.
Granholm was pretty inept but Snyder isn't doing anything for the Governorship himself unless you are a conservative (or blue dog, I guess) of course.

But Snyder doesn't strike me as a good pick for VP. He contradicts Romney on the auto bailout and seems quite content with getting things done here. I think he'll certainly win reelection unless he starts acting like Walker and pisses off the state's clear democrat majority. I don't think he will though because he doesn't strike me a a regular politician. He's a problem solver who happens to be a republican
Then picking him can be a way of Romney to strategically admit he spoke wrongly about the bailout and wants to move forward. MI would be huge for Romney and would play well into the narrative he might try to sell by November. He's going to have to do something interesting.

Pretty much this. He get's asked all the time about wanting "Right to Work" legislation, since it's a Republican position and he pretty much says "If it crosses my desk, I'll evaluate it, but I don't hear a lot of push for it and it's not something I'm going to waste political energy on and distract me from other things that need to be done in the state."

It's going to happy eventually. But right now he's clearly focused on getting us out of the hole

If Obama had do focused purely on the economy (with a few side issues like DADT, Start treaty, etc) I think he'd be in a better position today. So much of his "jobs" plan could have been passed years ago, but the administration decided to do other things, assuming the economy would just get better.

Although I find myself wanting it both ways, I wish he had just passed health care and everything else on his agenda as fast as possible like Walker. Worry about the consequences later, and hope the economy improves enough for people not to care what you did two years ago

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
So I would like to hear the opinions of some of the notable right leaners here on Poligaf about the Curt Schilling fiasco.

Anyone wanna defend Schilling's honor? Ezsnark? Bulbo? Kosmo-chan? Anyone?

Kosmo

Banned
So I would like to hear the opinions of some of the notable right leaners here on Poligaf about the Curt Schilling fiasco.

Anyone wanna defend Schilling's honor? Ezsnark? Bulbo? Kosmo-chan? Anyone?

As soon as I heard he was putting his money into a gaming studio, originally to make a MMO no less, I thought "What a dumb ass."

I was right.

Depends in the media. They have for the most part allowed him to get away with it.

they seem to be coming around, if twitter and the politico are any indication. for instance http://www.politico.com/blogs/burns-haberman/2012/06/the-romney-camps-line-on-arizona-127229.html

QUESTION: But does he think about the law in Arizona? You're just talking about the states right to have a law but you're not giving any position on the actual law.

GORKA: "Ultimately this debate comes back down to the federal government and the president failing to address this. If the president followed through on his campaign promise to address illegal immigration in the first year, this debate wouldn¹t be necessary."

QUESTION: Is it fair to say that he has no opinion on the Arizona law?

GORKA: "Look, again, I¹ll say it again and again and again for you. The governor understands that states have their own right to craft policies to secure their own borders and to address illegal immigration."

QUESTION: You're not answering – what does he think about the policy in Arizona? Is it fair to say he has no opinion? You're refusing to give us an answer.

GORKA: "Arizona, like many other states in this nation, take it upon themselves to craft policies for their own specific states. Governor has said repeatedly that states are a laboratory of democracy, what one state crafts may not work in others but ultimately this, again, goes back to the president failing to deliver on his campaign promises. As candidate Obama, he said he would address immigration in the first year and hasn’t and instead put in a stopgap measure four and a half months before the election."

QUESTION: The statement that Mitt Romney released this morning doesn't say one way or another whether he agrees with the Supreme Court decision. Does he have a reaction as to whether he agrees with this decision?

and on and on for 7 minutes, until the call was ended

Jackson50

Hey, who likes polls?

NH is one of those troublish blue states that could go red under the right circumstance (others: WI, MI, PA), so I'm glad he's doing well enough there.
I do. Have you seen Gallup today? Wheeee.
What I was looking for was something that would be an accurate representation of the party ideology. I wasn't provided with any platform positions since I didn't know they existed, because I've heard of and seen many dissenting views from politicians and the public in both parties where they don't talk or walk the presumed party line. I was unwilling to accept a "majority" representation because historically, which party is left-wing or right-wing has changed throughout history. The Democrats have been recently left-leaning and the Republicans have been recently right-leaning but there has been enough admixing between these two groups to not really show any real distinctive qualities.

For example, many Republicans like to talk about Reagan this and Reagan that, even though Reagan did many things that were liberal or socialist. Reagan's presidency had a shaky start because of fiscal conservatism. It was socialism that came to the rescue. Reagan proposed to close tax loopholes for the wealthy, for example, whereas some Republicans would have us believe that we should not tax the wealthy at all so that their money will trickle down to the lowly masses.
Legislative votes are representative of party ideology as they're the manifestation of the party's platform. And those were provided. Still, I provided context and an explanation for the cause of the ideological convergence of our political parties. It may seem peculiar to an outside observer, but there are strong historical and institutional antecedents for this phenomenon. Nonetheless, the party's diverge ideologically. And that divergence is considerably greater than it had been in the mid-20th Century. Also, you've discoursed on foreign policy, and I'm inclined to agree. There are differences, and it's one of the primary reasons I support the Democrats, but the parties converge on foreign policy more than most other issues. And I've long bemoaned the stale uniformity of our foreign policy establishment.

It's slightly disingenuous, or ignorant, to characterize Reagan as having done many things that were liberal or socialist. Granted, despite the apotheosis of Reagan, he was not absolutely conservative. Although, he had to operate within a divided government. Again, the U.S.'s institutional arrangement muddles the picture. Undoubtedly, having to cooperate with a Democratic House and, towards the end of his term, Senate moderated the legislation passed during his presidency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom