• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT2| Worth 77% of OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh there are tons of cartoonists out there and 95% of them are worthy of mocking in threads. The question is: what poor bastard is willing to poison themselves with enough bigotry and poorly done metaphors to make an OP?

Well, it could include *good* political cartoons too.

Fuchsdh

I generally think that if you have to put more than one label or caption on your cartoon, you're doing something wrong.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Likely within the next 5 years? 10 years? 15? Surely someone could assume when it will likely be over by assume things stay the course.

It'll be well before 15, I'd be shocked if the economy is still sluggish by the 2016 elections. Most people seem to think it'll be picking up more and more steam in the next few years. The more the economy improves the faster it'll improve, the way I understand it is it's sort of like a bolder rolling down a hill. The hard part is getting it going, once you do that it's just a matter of time and not messing with it too much. That metaphor is a little shaky, but you get the idea.

kingkaiser

That isn't even especially incomprehensible for a right-wing cartoon.

i3NSZqNsLyXcu.jpg

Welcome to hard mode.

It's not that hard. I think it means that at heart the people of Egypt are democrats but their political heads are fucking regressive, authoritarian assholes who abuse religion to stay in power and that their country is kinda "hosed" because of that.

Trurl

Banned
Do only right wingers say "radical" Islam? If I were to talk about the same idea I would probably use phrases like hard line, conservative, or ultra-conservative.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Do only right wingers say "radical Islam?" If I were to talk about the same idea I would probably use phrases like hard line, conservative, or ultra-conservative.
No, there's certainly a difference between Islam and Radical Islam. The right just uses the latter as if it encompasses the former.

Only using the monthly averages in that chart, and accounting for jobs regained at those averages, we are still 10.5 years away from catching up to the lost jobs in those first two years, not counting population growth.

Short answer is "a really long time"

We need to be creating 300k+ a month at least. So you need a boom, a bubble (which brings its own problems) or massive stimulus which just isn't going to happen. Massive infrastructure spending as a backdoor jobs program is my vote, but again not likely.

If we can get some new industries (such as alternative energy, as one example of many) to really take off and not half-ass it, I think we can even shorten the 10 and a half year time frame.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
If we can get some new industries (such as alternative energy, as one example of many) to really take off and not half-ass it, I think we can even shorten the 10 and a half year time frame.
See my edit. My math is incorrect, was trying to do it on my phone.

I like how the conversation about egypt is more nuanced and intelligent here, as opposed to the official thread which got Assad apologists, Islam-hate merchants, conspiracy nutballs and other ridiculous characters.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I like how the conversation about egypt is more nuanced and intelligent here, as opposed to the official thread which got Assad apologists, Islam-hate merchants, conspiracy nutballs and other ridiculous characters.

I can't even go in there anymore, its a joke. There's a guy who is convinced that the whole thing was a CIA plot, down to the protesters. I left after I saw that.

I can't even go in there anymore, its a joke. There's a guy who is convinced that the whole thing was a CIA plot, down to the protesters. I left after I saw that.
That's one of the hate merchants I am talking about. He hijacks every thread, even tangentially related to Islam, and completely changes the conversation about what he wants to talk about.

Not a least bit surprised that everyone is talking about some CIA conspiracy there.
It's disturbing how quickly people jump to pseudo-eugenic explanations.
It's a coup straight and simple. But it's a little different than the South American coups or Pakistan coups. There's a majority of people that wanted it.

Wilsongt

When it comes to the GOP and privacy, you can't win unless you are a straight, white, God-fearing man.

If you're a woman, they want to be all the way in your vagina, and if you're gay, they want to be in your bedroom controlling what you do.

Bah.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
It'll be gone in a week, using the same reason for why people take crosses out of state houses and such.

Doesn't the same place have a monument with the Ten Commandments? Seems like taking only one down would be completely unconstitutional. Take them both down, or allow all of them up. Personally, I feel than neither of them should be there.

Wilsongt

I get the logic, but how about we just remove any religious (and anti-religious) symbolism from government buildings and sites altogether? You know, like it's supposed to be.

Blah blah blah founding fathers blah blah blah under god blah blah blah nation going to hell in a handbasket if atheists win.

Because religion certainly does a nation good.

Chichikov

A bit offtopic but can Palestenians vote in Israel?
Palestinians within the 67 borders are Israeli citizens and can vote (though no Palestinian party was ever a part of a coalition government in Israel), Palestinians in the west bank are not citizens can can't vote.

That's one of the hate merchants I am talking about. He hijacks every thread, even tangentially related to Islam, and completely changes the conversation about what he wants to talk about.

Not a least bit surprised that everyone is talking about some CIA conspiracy there.

Looks like the two biggest members of that club got banned. I wonder if the middle east threads will be a bit better now.

Chichikov

Looks like the two biggest members of that club got banned. I wonder if the middle east threads will be a bit better now.
You'll have peace in the middle east before you'd have rational discussion about it on the internets.
Though GAF is not nearly as bad as some other places I've been to.

Hopefully.

As a general note, we'd prefer if people would PM a mod about shitty posters rather than going to another thread to complain about them.

Are they permabans?

More on topic: A really good look into the FISA court.

I think that is where the focus should be on these NSA revelations and where reform needs to come from. I don't mind a secret court OKing certain requests but the fact that they are creating law and applying doctrines is not sitting well. I'd like the supreme court or a more public court at least create the doctrines that are then applied.

Chichikov

Are they permabans?

More on topic: A really good look into the FISA court.

I think that is where the focus should be on these NSA revelations and where reform needs to come from. I don't mind a secret court OKing certain requests but the fact that they are creating law and applying doctrines is not sitting well. I'd like the supreme court or a more public court at least create the doctrines that are then applied.
We really need to rethink what is classified and how do we make things classified.
There is no reason why we can't know how much it cost, there is no reason we can't read the legal interpretation of those laws, there is no reason we can't have a simple and understandable criteria for these "wiretaps".

You'll have peace in the middle east before you'd have rational discussion about it on the internets.
Though GAF is not nearly as bad as some other places I've been to.

I think the biggest problem was the narrative every post had to lead up to. There was no discussion of the issues at hand. They drove the discussion back to the points (conspiracy theories) they came in there to make no matter what the topic was about.

I felt a lot of the time I couldn't post because something I said would be twisted and driven in a direction that they wanted it to go towards. It was stifling the discussion

We really need to rethink what is classified and how do we make things classified.
There is no reason why we can't know how much it cost, there is no reason we can't read the legal interpretation of those laws, there is no reason we can't have a simple and understandable criteria for these "wiretaps".

The I understand why they classify things like the structure of how they intercept data and specific requests e.g. John was helping Iranians we found this this and this.

But them not having to even answer questions about why they think they have this power is my biggest issue. People might even agree with their interpretations but if the only way we even find this stuff out is from a leak that has a million other facets and puts them on the defensive. Its not smart for the NSA. They had to know at some point somebody would reveal this stuff.

Palestinians within the 67 borders are Israeli citizens and can vote (though no Palestinian party was ever a part of a coalition government in Israel), Palestinians in the west bank are not citizens can can't vote.

So how many Palestinaians that live in Israel can vote percentage wise? At least from your observations. Also why is there no Palestinian party? Is it because there can't be one?

So how many Palestinaians that live in Israel can vote percentage wise? At least from your observations. Also why is there no Palestinian party? Is it because there can't be one?

Palestinians as a nationality can't vote, whether even if they live or work in Israel.

Arab Israelis (I think they about 1 or 2 million? and there are I think there are 5 million Palestinians counting both the west bank, israel and gaza) who are ethnically Palestinian can vote.

There are Arab parties and they are in the knesset they just are never asked to Join in the ruling coalition. They're not zionist and only a few members so they're not important or vital electorally.

Chichikov

About 20% of the Israeli citizens are Palestinians, they're generally refer to as Arab (Israel for the longest time didn't recognize that the Palestinian people even exists and many right wingers still think so today).
And there are Arab parties, but they're never been allowed to join any government so there is a sense of disillusion in the Israeli Palestinians population about them and about the democratic process in general (which translates to low voting turnouts).

About 20% of the Israeli citizens are Palestinians, they're generally refer to as Arab (Israel for the longest time didn't recognize that the Palestinian people even exists and many right wingers still think so today).
And there are Arab parties, but they're never been allowed to join any government so there is a sense of disillusion in the Israeli Palestinians population about them and about the democratic process in general (which translates to low voting turnouts).

So the Palestinians living in Israel can vote...just not for the parties they want to.

Chichikov

So the Palestinians living in Israel can vote...just not for the parties they want to.
They can form parties, it's not so much of what is legal (though there constant moves trying to ban some of the Arab parties) it's their ability to affect any meaningful change.

But the biggest issues is the people in the west bank who can't, people don't call Israel an Apartheid state because of what's going on inside the 67 borders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom