• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT2| Worth 77% of OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Reuters is generally pretty reliable...

Reuters and AP are great when it comes to breaking news. If you want to go any deeper it really depends on who is doing the reporting. Obviously no one should be taken as Gospel though.

It would be nice if poligaf could compile a list of the most reliable news sites.

All 3 of them.

Speaking of which, considering there are so many far-right sources that are unreliable (notably Fox News), are there any left-wing sources that are unreliable?

Speaking of which, considering there are so many far-right sources that are unreliable (notably Fox News), are there any left-wing sources that are unreliable?

I don't know if the people who run it are inaccurate, but I tend to stray away from grossly partisan blogs/websites like Electablog. Those type of websites that see the other side as plain evil.

You think they're unreliable when it comes to... virtually all the countries in the world? Huh.

Do you have specific examples of their unreliability?

Their recent article about the PSUV trying to ban baby formula in Venezuela is one.

EDIT - I should have said non-Western European countries, as well as nations not called US, Canada, Australia, or New Zealand instead of "English Speaking countries". That sounds ignorant.

Tamanon

Banned
Ok, here's the article I found:

The quotes seem fairly clear, unless they mistranslated them or something. Is there a non-obvious error that I'm missing?

Nope, it's a completely silly bill. Maduro's kinda a moron. Chavez at least was smart, Maduro is a dumb Chavez.

Ok, here's the article I found:

The quotes seem fairly clear, unless they mistranslated them or something. Is there a non-obvious error that I'm missing?

The problem is the article itself. Its not really a serious discussion there but more so very few people of the fringe groups supporting it. Relate it with when crazy Republicans propose crazy ass bills to vote on that would never pass. But with the way the article present it (and the fact there is an article on this at all), it seem that its a serious proposition from the party.

Nope, it's a completely silly bill. Maduro's kinda a moron. Chavez at least was smart, Maduro is a dumb Chavez.

Maduro is basically Chavez 2 so far from what I understand. Only he's a bit more reasonable on some things (e.g. negotiating with food companies about the "shortage"). Not to mention there was another article on this before when the same dingbats did it during Chavez's time.

I guarantee that wouldn't happen in Sweden. If any government tried something like that they would be so blasted by the opposition and the public that it'd take more than ten years before they would ever have any chance of winning an election again.

If any political party would try and block media out in Sweden, because of criticism or whatever, all other media, public and private, would unanimously back the harassed outlet up. The amount of shit that any politician attempting this would be facing ensures no one would ever dream of doing it. To a certain degree, what you are talking about could apply to reporting on private companies and the like, because some of them are not as influenced by public perception, but never politicians.

Case in point: Swedish public radio does a thirty minute interview with someone every Saturday. And the interviewer can be absolutely merciless. He/she sometimes repeats the same question over and over again for ten minutes to make it painfully clear and embarrassing when the interviewee is trying to dodge the question. And they still get top people from different institutions in society every week.

I guess your inability to understand that it can work speaks a lot of the abysmal medial landscape in America. To an outsider, news reporting in America seems shallow and trite (with a few great exceptions obviously). The level of public discourse in countries like Sweden is orders of magnitude better and more nuanced. Theoretical discussions like this about the importance of non-influenced journalism is constantly on the agenda.

I think the crappy education system in America also has a part in it. In Sweden and Scandinavia, part of the curriculum is to make you able to function in a democratic society and issues like this are brought up in compulsory school, which means that the public understands the importance and knows what they should be able to expect from the press.

Still, the public press in Sweden is not perfect. There are individual people there that are incompetent, just as in any other profession, but on a system level the issues you are describing don't exist.

I don't mean to demean the swedish news! I'm sure its great. I'm just speaking on a more theoretical level. The Swedish people demand that news, in a way its kind of a market force though in this case a democratic force. Its not just because of the publicly funded nature of the news that makes it that way and able to ask those tough questions.

And my point about sources wouldn't be retaliation but quieting source relationships, privileged access,

And Swedish or any public journalists are never non-interested. They always bring their opinions to the table. Again I'm not an expert on the swedish news but places like the BBC represent the "British media elite" they reflect their world and viewpoints (I'm gonna guess many of them come from privileged middle class families, went to the same schools, have the same kind of friends) and the world they wish to present they have to choose what to report and not, that in and of itself is bias you just happen to agree with their decisions.

To claim they can be impartial and free from influence is silly and naive. The difference in these places is there is much more consensus about the issues of the day and structure of society along with the choice of what is "newsworthy". Most of the media criticism in America comes from discontent and disagreement with the current power/economical/political structure. IMO in a place like Sweden there is much more consensus about these things between politicians, journalists and the public so you don't have the conflicts you do in America. (to be clear I'm not saying they don't question Politicians or undermine them but there isn't the desire to completely upend the societal order to the extend say FOX or MSNBC desires for their own partisan ends). Your example of that Swedish show sounds a lot like tim russert when he did MTP

I'm not saying it can't work, it does. But the its not because of the public nature of it. Making something public doesn't not make it automatically better or freer.

And, I would fundamentally disagree about the American media and educations. Its a European elitist view. It assumes the European view is the correct one and says since america differs, its worse. I do not deny in many places out math, science and literature course are weaker than many in europe (I'd feel the best of ours are better or at least equal) but the view that Sweden's system prepares their people better for democratic participation reeks of elitism and condescension. You might have valid points about certain aspects being better but the wholesale dismissal of the American education system and media without regarding its vastness and difference within the country is ignorant at best.

And while I haven't been to Sweden there are many Europeans I've meet who are just as bad or worse at knowing about their political systems than Americans. You're judging based, I'm assuming, on the company that you keep and the media you consume and your own interests. I could judge that most Americans are educated and well informed on politics and world based on say living in Washington DC (or based on postings at PoliGAF!) but you'd rightly point out I'm judging based off a skewed sample. Maybe Sweden is more uniform, again I haven't been there, but your and many European's views are IMO subject to confirmation bias too often.

On topic of the photo:

The constant twitter buzz blasting CNN and the like for covering more of Zimmerman than Egypt ignores the fact that some people view questions of race/gun culture/vigilantism all of which are present in that case are far more important to more Americans than a coup country which they never really will be affected by. I'd rather watch egypt as would most news junkies because that's where are interests lies others differ. Why should someone be forced to watch something that they deem unimportant for their lives? Who gets to decide what's 'real news' and isn't that bias?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I don't know if the people who run it are inaccurate, but I tend to stray away from grossly partisan blogs/websites like Electablog. Those type of websites that see the other side as plain evil.

How can you hate on the site that belongs to national treasure, LOLGOP?

Well I'd be skeptical of the far-out liberal cause groups such as some environmental groups, vegan groups, animal rights groups, organic groups, etc. They often have good intentions but some people that believe in their cause so deeply will put out scientifically inaccurate information if it helps their cause. I think that is a bad strategy because you'll lose credibility when you get debunked. Put your best case forward but don't lie.

Well I'd be skeptical of the far-out liberal cause groups such as some environmental groups, vegan groups, animal rights groups, organic groups, etc. They often have good intentions but some people that believe in their cause so deeply will put out scientifically inaccurate information if it helps their cause. I think that is a bad strategy because you'll lose credibility when you get debunked. Put your best case forward but don't lie.

Like the anti-GMO movement.

Like the anti-GMO movement.
Yeah. Most of them don't even have fucking clue as to what they are talking about.

That said, I don't think that GMO labeling law was so bad . . . I would have continued to purchase GMO labeled products. And I think after a little bit of discussion and learning, most people would have as well. It could have been a nice teachable moment. But instead it kind of bothers me that the companies would rather hide the facts than convince people that the facts are fine.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery

You're walking down a dangerous path, my friend.

Well, the nuclear argument is tainted by both sides. Deregulation, and the ilk. I have listened to enough Harry Shearer's News of The Atom to know that fault lies on all sides. In some cases nuclear is good but in many it is not. We need public ownership and public transparency oversight.

Nuclear energy can be good, but at the cost of many, and that is the question. Whether we can afford that costly infrastructure. And I mean global. I like nuclear energy, but it has to be regulated to the nth degree, something which the State needs total control and even then...

Founding-fathers-chart-FINAL.png

FyreWulff

Well, the nuclear argument is tainted by both sides. Deregulation, and the ilk. I have listened to enough Harry Shearer's News of The Atom to know that fault lies on all sides. In some cases nuclear is good but in many it is not. We need public ownership and public transparency oversight.

Nuclear energy can be good, but at the cost of many, and that is the question. Whether we can afford that costly infrastructure. And I mean global. I like nuclear energy, but it has to be regulated to the nth degree, something which the State needs total control and even then...

I'm in favor of it, and our local nuclear power plant is publically owned, even though it's still been turned off since the floods of two years ago.

As a first thing I'd like to see happen, is a ban on building anywhere near them. The plants are built on cheap land because they need so much space, and in a floodplain since they use oceans or rivers as their heatsink. Which leads to people building right up next to them because the land is cheap. A nice federal ban on building within X miles radius of a plant would be a good start.

... and fucked up when you think people are just fine building within blocks of a coal plant, which spews out more radiation. There's a new development springing up across the river in Iowa, and the end of the street in it is just dominated by the view of the side of the coal plant.

I don't mean to demean the swedish news! I'm sure its great. I'm just speaking on a more theoretical level. The Swedish people demand that news, in a way its kind of a market force though in this case a democratic force. Its not just because of the publicly funded nature of the news that makes it that way and able to ask those tough questions.

Right, but it helps. All print media in Sweden has an (openly stated) political bias (in most cases right-wing by Swedish standards), while part of the mission statement of public service news is to stay politically neutral. The fact that public service media isn't reliant on ads also means that it's easier for them to report on wrong-doings of corporations.

And my point about sources wouldn't be retaliation but quieting source relationships, privileged access,

As far as I can tell, this is not really a problem in Sweden. All political parties want to get their message out there, and public service media reaches the largest number of people, so they're not likely to be shut out.

And Swedish or any public journalists are never non-interested. They always bring their opinions to the table. Again I'm not an expert on the swedish news but places like the BBC represent the "British media elite" they reflect their world and viewpoints (I'm gonna guess many of them come from privileged middle class families, went to the same schools, have the same kind of friends) and the world they wish to present they have to choose what to report and not, that in and of itself is bias you just happen to agree with their decisions.

I think this is more a problem with BBC than with Swedish news, but sure, individual reporters may have their own opinions that rub off on their work. But usually it balances out in the end. Economy journalist may be a bit more right-wing on average, while culture journalists are a bit more left-wing on average. Most people are aware of this and know how to parse information to take this into account.

To claim they can be impartial and free from influence is silly and naive. The difference in these places is there is much more consensus about the issues of the day and structure of society along with the choice of what is "newsworthy". Most of the media criticism in America comes from discontent and disagreement with the current power/economical/political structure. IMO in a place like Sweden there is much more consensus about these things between politicians, journalists and the public so you don't have the conflicts you do in America. (to be clear I'm not saying they don't question Politicians or undermine them but there isn't the desire to completely upend the societal order to the extend say FOX or MSNBC desires for their own partisan ends). Your example of that Swedish show sounds a lot like tim russert when he did MTP

You are right, for better or for worse (I would argue it's for the better) Swedish society, culture and politics are built on trying to reach consensus. And if your views are very far outside of the consensus, you may find that your own views are not represented in the mainstream media. But in Sweden this mostly applies to racist arseholes, and who gives a toss about what they think anyway?

I'm not saying it can't work, it does. But the its not because of the public nature of it. Making something public doesn't not make it automatically better or freer.

As I said above, because they are not reliant on ad revenue, it is far easier for them to report neutrally on corporations than it is for privately owned media.

And, I would fundamentally disagree about the American media and educations. Its a European elitist view. It assumes the European view is the correct one and says since america differs, its worse. I do not deny in many places out math, science and literature course are weaker than many in europe (I'd feel the best of ours are better or at least equal) but the view that Sweden's system prepares their people better for democratic participation reeks of elitism and condescension. You might have valid points about certain aspects being better but the wholesale dismissal of the American education system and media without regarding its vastness and difference within the country is ignorant at best.

I am slightly drunk now so I don't really care if what I'm about to say comes across as slightly elitist, but to me there is no question that Swedish education better prepares its citizens for democratic participation than the American equivalent. The fact that the Republican party (a party whose policies only benefit roughly one percent of the population) gets almost 50 % of all votes really tells all you need to know about American education. And you are touching on an interesting point. You say that there are big differences depending on region (and I would add social status). I would absolutely agree with that. In fact, I would say that is actually the problem. If you are lucky enough to be born into a white, middle-class family in the USA, you will get a good education, and maybe end up with political views that would benefit yourself. But if you are unlucky enough to be born into a poor family in a place like Baltimore, school won't really prepare you for a lot more than the drug market. You say that the best of your education is better than European education. I don't find that hard to believe, for the few people that are privileged enough to be able to partake in this. The problem is that the median and lowest tiers are much worse than the equivalents in Europe, thus lowering the baseline of public discourse. And therefore the working class in America is not able to break out of its chains; they were indoctrinated with stupid shit that would make it more probable that they would buy into bullshit like trickle-down economy and the like.

And while I haven't been to Sweden there are many Europeans I've meet who are just as bad or worse at knowing about their political systems than Americans. You're judging based, I'm assuming, on the company that you keep and the media you consume and your own interests. I could judge that most Americans are educated and well informed on politics and world based on say living in Washington DC (or based on postings at PoliGAF!) but you'd rightly point out I'm judging based off a skewed sample. Maybe Sweden is more uniform, again I haven't been there, but your and many European's views are IMO subject to confirmation bias too often.

You might be right that I may have some confirmation bias going on here. I was born into the middle class (which is much larger in Sweden than in the USA) and went to university (which is much more common in Sweden than in the USA, because you don't have to pay any tuition fees which makes it much more economically feasible, regardless of social background). Even so, my genuine impression is that the less privileged portions of Swedish society are much more educated in general than in the USA. Case in point: While American hiphop music distracts the masses from the problems of their society with lyrics about bling, the American dream and sexy bitches (while reinforcing gender stereotypes with their music videos) the Swedish equivalent, to a much higher degree, takes up subjects like social frustration and injustices in society.

Fuck prrofreading.

Matugi

This was too good i had to share it with you guys

Young Conservatives ‏@YoungCons 1h

Big government liberals celebrating Independence Day is like atheists celebrating Christmas.

apparently liberals aren't allowed to be proud of their country

EDIT: also want to share this because apparently this is an upstanding example of conservative humor with over 249,000 likes on facebook

https://www.facebook.com/TheComicalConservative

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
How are those even calculated...

You use the PoliGAF index. The more you like hookers the less fatherly you are and if you wrote a lot of the constitution/were an early president you're more founding-ly. It's really a simple ratio.

EDIT: That graph is upside down, everyone knows Ben Franklin was more like your drunk uncle who loved hookers than he was a father figure.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
You use the PoliGAF index. The more you like hookers the less fatherly you are and if you wrote a lot of the constitution/were an early president you're more founding-ly. It's really a simple ratio.

EDIT: That graph is upside down, everyone knows Ben Franklin was more like your drunk uncle who loved hookers than he was a father figure.

That would put Sam Adams closer to fatherliness though and I sure as fuck wouldn't want Sam Adams as a father. The real problem is that Madison and Franklin need to swap places.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently they're unaware that atheists can (and do) Celebrate Christmas.

Apparently. Sure Christmas has roots in Christianity, but the spirit of family and giving and cheerfulness can be shared by everyone.

Kinvara

This was too good i had to share it with you guys

Young Conservatives ‏@YoungCons 1h

Big government liberals celebrating Independence Day is like atheists celebrating Christmas.

apparently liberals aren't allowed to be proud of their country

EDIT: also want to share this because apparently this is an upstanding example of conservative humor with over 249,000 likes on facebook

https://www.facebook.com/TheComicalConservative

I'm Agnostic and I have always celebrated Christmas. All the gift giving and tree decorating except minus the Jesus.

Also, that page made me die a little inside.

Facts are irrelevant when you are trying to capture the emotional response.

Seriously, mention that PP discloses that abortion referrals are less than 4% of their services and watch them spout the lies. From being racist and eugenic to being called murderers and Nazi's.

Aaron

I can't take any pro-lifer argument seriously since they have demonstrated this is only an effort to win an abstract morality point. Because once a baby is born, they don't seem to give a shit. Infant mortality, guns in schools, schools next to potentially explosive fertilizer operations... do not give a shit. They don't have any empathy for the unborn. They just want to stand on higher ground so god might take notice of them when they ascend to heaven, while they ignore the world around them.

The thing that blows my mind is that WHY are we STILL having this conversation when this shit was upheld over FORTY years ago!?

Like, Christ, Conservatives don't let ANYTHING go.

You lost the Abortion debate two generations ago. It's not going away. That ship has sailed.

[Discussion]

Thanks for posting. Public media is clearly empirically superior to private for-profit entertainment companies at disseminating relevant information to the public. APKmetsfan is more interested in defending the status quo of the USA than identifying successful mechanisms for enhancing democracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom