• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT2| Worth 77% of OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.
MT, WV, SD are all Lean R seats or worse. The rest are tossups. NC will not "almost certainly" flip, it's probably one of the better red state seats for Democrats.

I still think the Democrats will hold the Senate, but damn, Schweitzer not running is terrible news. That doesn't make Montana hopeless (Democrats have a strong state bench), but it definitely makes it tough.

I also think Georgia will be much more competitive than people pay attention to it, but I'm not going to factor that into any predictions.

It won't. I live here. Besides Atlanta, this place is backwards as fuck. Look into the guy they elected govenor.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Disappointed on the Montana news. But if NJ goes blue the dems have to lose 6 seats no? They'd have 55 and a 50 50 tie gives it to Biden. Wasn't the senate 50 50 at the turn of the millennium?
It'd make it even harder to break filibusters, though, which is almost always used these days.

It should be a great year for Democrats, to be sure.

Arizona (if John McCain retires)
Florida
Georgia
Illinois
Iowa (if Chuck Grassley retires)
Kentucky
New Hampshire
North Carolina
Ohio
Pennsylvania
Wisconsin

Are all at least competitive under the right circumstances. Even if Democrats lose the Senate majority in 2014, they'll gain it right back and then some.

+ Missouri if Jay Nixon runs against Blunt

Link

The Autumn Wind
Stand Your Ground wasn't used in the murder of Trayvon case.
No, but I think it framed Zimmerman's mindset about how to react to the situation.

Justifiable homicides have tripled in Florida since Stand Your Ground was signed into law. That tells me people are now shooting first and thinking later.

No, but I think it framed Zimmerman's mindset about how to react to the situation.

Justifiable homicides have tripled in Florida since Stand Your Ground was signed into law. That tells me people are now shooting first and thinking later.

The GOP hates due process.

Why go through a judge and jury when one (white) man with a gun is all you need?

I'm very disappointed in the verdict and my facebook feed has been sad tonight.

But I really am not liking all of the florida "jokes". There are a lot of good people down here that are trying to fix things, insulting the whole state does nothing and belittles those who are victims of the injustices and stupid decisions that happen and affect life here.

So a crazy white guy playing Armed Batman doesn't get held accountable for killing a black kid because the kid was wearing a hoodie, so he looked suspicious.

Fucking America.

Averon

My Facebook feed has been full of the most disgusting shit all night.

No doubt. Zimmerman played out the dream of many a racist and bigot out there: killing a black man in cold blood and getting away with it. Like the "good old days" they often long for. It's no wonder why man people support him.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
TeaPartyCat said:
That awkward moment when George Zimmerman's brother says the family fears vigilantes who might try to take the law into their own hands.

:lol

Not surprised at the outcome in the least. The prosecution had witnesses that simply sucked. What's really frustrating is that the racists and assholes celebrating the "victory", who's only interest in the case was the racial context.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Yea, that makes me smile.

Not surprised at the outcome in the least. The prosecution had witnesses that simply sucked. What's really frustrating is that the racists and assholes celebrating the "victory", who's only interest in the case was the racial context.

Honestly, I knew it was a lost cause the second Zimmerman said he wasn't taking the stand. It's hard to argue against someone's story when they don't actually have to sit in front of the jury, tell it and be questioned on it. Can't say it's not frustrating though, especially when I think of the bolded.

T'Zariah

Banned
"The death of Trayvon Martin was a tragedy. Not just for his family, or for any one community, but for America. I know this case has elicited strong passions. And in the wake of the verdict, I know those passions may be running even higher. But we are a nation of laws, and a jury has spoken. I now ask every American to respect the call for calm reflection from two parents who lost their young son. And as we do, we should ask ourselves if we’re doing all we can to widen the circle of compassion and understanding in our own communities. We should ask ourselves if we’re doing all we can to stem the tide of gun violence that claims too many lives across this country on a daily basis. We should ask ourselves, as individuals and as a society, how we can prevent future tragedies like this. As citizens, that’s a job for all of us. That’s the way to honor Trayvon Martin."

Official word from the Big Man himself.

*sigh*

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Wait, WHAT? o_0

He didn't have to take the stand, it's not exactly unexpected. Only a fool would have done it.

It was his word against a dead kid's, and his story was full of holes. However, without him taking the stand, the prosecution couldn't question him on the inconsistencies.

Yup. It's a lot harder to argue against Zimmerman's story when you can't actually have him up there and question him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom