• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT2| Worth 77% of OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Fork

Official word from the Big Man himself.

*sigh*

Of course he would ignore the reason people are angry and call on them to accept an unjust verdict just because it's the law, regardless if it's moral. Even if gun control was sorted that wouldn't prevent or fix the pervasive racism within the justice system, something he is terrified to talk about.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Get out of Florida and move to Texas to do something useful and help get Davis elected. Or stay in FL and help get Crist reelected.
I'm planning on the latter. I'm much more useful in Florida than I'd be in Texas.

Of course he would ignore the reason people are angry and call on them to accept an unjust verdict just because it's the law, regardless if it's moral. Even if gun control was sorted that wouldn't prevent or fix the pervasive racism within the justice system, something he is terrified to talk about.
What do you reasonably expect the man to say?

Angry Fork

What do you reasonably expect the man to say?

I know what he could say if he was serious about preserving human life, justice etc. If he really was a moral person he would say much more.

If we accept weak, carefully worded so as not to offend statements as something he has to do due to political reasons then you're basically saying he has a right to forfeit his moral principles (if he has any). I don't think any politician should do this, or be able to get away with doing it without criticism.

I know what he could say if he was serious about preserving human life, justice etc. If he really was a moral person he would say much more.

If we accept weak, carefully worded so as not to offend statements as something he has to do due to political reasons then you're basically saying he has a right to forfeit his moral principles (if he has any). I don't think any politician should do this, or be able to get away with doing it without criticism.

It sounds like politics aren't your thing

Angry Fork

It sounds like politics aren't your thing

To the contrary, there have been many politicians throughout history who have had radical opinions and defended them rather than look for consensus and compromise. Politics is inherently about division and controversy, or at least it should be.

Link

The Autumn Wind
To the contrary, there have been many politicians throughout history who have had radical opinions and defended them rather than look for consensus and compromise. Politics is inherently about division and controversy, or at least it should be.
Sounds like you're perfectly fine with the way the current Republican Party operates.

Angry Fork

He's consistently shown in the past he doesn't understand how the game works at all in favor of foaming at the mouth over perceived "cowardice".

You mean the US game since the 80s. There was more disparity between the 2 parties (and political opinions in general) before that which you choose to ignore. Does Elizabeth Warren or Bernie Sanders 'play the game'? Are they doing it wrong if they don't support Obama's talking points all the time?

And what you want him to do would play into what the opposition wants to do. If Obama makes a charged statement, that will only provide fodder to his critics, and then they'll use it on the idiotic sheep who don't care about politics. After all, the Zimmerman supporters love pulling the reverse racism card, by complaining about how this case has been politicized around race, and it was a witch hunt on an innocent 'victim' who was just protecting himself.

Of course, you don't care about that, you're nothing more than an ideologue who cares more about advancing a philosophy than actually solving problems.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-...o-push-new-glass-steagall-bill-for-banks.html

Holy SHIT.

Talk about a team up I would never see in a million goddamn years.

o_O

1. Shouldn't it be "McCain joins Warren"?
2. This is surprising, for sure, but not THAT surprising considering a few months ago, David fucking Vitter, who's 100 times the mouthbreather McCain could ever dream of being, was a co-sponsor of similar legislation.
3. While I support re-instating Glass-Seagull 110%, I remember reading an interview with Bill Clinton saying that such a thing won't prevent bank crashes from happening again. Instead, he said congress should be focusing on regulating derivatives more than anything.

2. This is surprising, for sure, but not THAT surprising considering a few months ago, David fucking Vitter, who's 100 times the mouthbreather McCain could ever dream of being, was a co-sponsor of similar legislation.
3. While I support re-instating Glass-Seagull 110%, I remember reading an interview with Bill Clinton saying that such a thing won't prevent bank crashes from happening again. Instead, he said congress should be focusing on regulating derivatives more than anything.

This has to be repealed

zargle

I wrote a paper for a business ethics and law class on Glass-Steagall and while I do think something like it needs to be put back, I honestly don't know what effect it would have, negative or positive. This is assuming it would ever pass. I am reading Taibbi's Griftopia now and woof, there is a lot of shit that needs to be rechecked and reregulated. Also, he reaaaaaaalllllllyyyy hates Alan Greenspan.

Angry Fork

And what you want him to do would play into what the opposition wants to do. If Obama makes a charged statement, that will only provide fodder to his critics, and then they'll use it on the idiotic sheep who don't care about politics. After all, the Zimmerman supporters love pulling the reverse racism card, by complaining about how this case has been politicized around race, and it was a witch hunt on an innocent 'victim' who was just protecting himself.

Of course, you don't care about that, you're nothing more than an ideologue who cares more about advancing a philosophy than actually solving problems.

Let them do what they want, they've already built their far right coalition. I don't know why you think it doesn't exist. It will exist whether or not Obama becomes a man with real opinions. You are the fool if you think Obama could become any nicer to the right.

The best option for progressive politics is to create an equally potent left opposition, an actual left one, not center-right. You're not interested in really changing things though, just closing ranks and supporting the party no matter what like a good stalinist.

I wrote a paper for a business ethics and law class on Glass-Steagall and while I do think something like it needs to be put back, I honestly don't know what effect it would have, negative or positive. This is assuming it would ever pass. I am reading Taibbi's Griftopia now and woof, there is a lot of shit that needs to be rechecked and reregulated. Also, he reaaaaaaalllllllyyyy hates Alan Greenspan.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/the-great-american-bubble-machine-20100405

This is a great article of his which you've probably already read.

T'Zariah

Banned
Let them do what they want, they've already built their far right coalition. I don't know why you think it doesn't exist. It will exist whether or not Obama becomes a man with real opinions. You are the fool if you think Obama could become any nicer to the right.

The best option for progressive politics is to create an equally potent left opposition, an actual left one, not center-right. You're not interested in really changing things though, just closing ranks and supporting the party no matter what like a good stalinist.

Says the guy who proposes ideas that fail from day zero.

All of this leaves one wondering if there is something entirely missing in Rand Paul and his office — judgment. The senator and his staff seem not to comprehend the difference between crazy talk and interesting talk, between what is offensive and what is offbeat. It must come as a great shock to them that Jewish groups, whom they hoped to assuage with nice comments about Israel, are repulsed by his remarks and are saying so publicly. Paul has managed to re-marginalize himself.

So Kentucky Dems, listen up: Forget about Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), who is going to win reelection by a country mile. Start working on finding a conservative Democrat to run against Paul in 2016. By then, the people of Kentucky may have had all they can stand of Rand Paul.

Take a guess who wrote this.

Jennifer Rubin!

Take a guess who wrote this.

Jennifer Rubin!

Not surprising to anyone who has read her work. She's the female David Frum: sensible on a handful of issues while being a complete extremist on every issue involving Israel (ie most US foreign policy).

Paul isn't a hawk, therefore=weak on defense and has questionable support for Israel.

T'Zariah

Banned
You're right universal healthcare and college education wouldn't work at all let's stick with what we have now instead.

Fail to get passed and the policy itself failing once implement are two entirely different things.

Clearly I was talking about the latter.

Your proposals will NEVER pass in bulk. They have to be passed in baby steps. The sooner you accept this reality, the sooner we'll start taking you seriously.

Your proposals will NEVER pass in bulk. They have to be passed in baby steps. The sooner you accept this reality, the sooner we'll start taking you seriously.

This is the GOP strategy to help make complicated legislation like a farm bill more manageable! What's the problem, lieberals!?!

Angry Fork

This is reality as long as people defend these half measures under the guise of "there's no other choice!" Then you can absolve yourself of responsibility for slow or no progress by claiming it's only the GOP's fault, if only they were nicer to Obama.

If there were no GOP we'd still get the market-oriented, republican health bill. That is what Obama wants. And forget about universal college education. Obama admin would think up some scheme to do so only if students are indebted to private companies for x number of years in return. Some intern program where you can get an education but you have to work for free afterwards.

cleaning out some old bookmarks, and came across this

gywo.ownership.gif

I forgot how awesome Get Your War On used to be, lol.

I'm interested in solving problems.

- Global Warming
- Health Care
- Primary Education
- Economy
- Civil Rights
- Forward Thinking Support of Science

If a market oriented solution can solve those problems, I'll take that solution. You on the other hand have clearly indicated time and again, that you care more about the type of solution employed rather than if the problem is solved or not.

You're right, I could give two shits about progressive politics. I care about solving problems. I think progressive politics offers the best solutions, but if we can't get that passed, I'll take the next big thing.

Jooney

So I am back home in Australia after my US vacation. Six weeks. Eight cities. Great times.
except for Miami's South Beach, I did not really like that place at all

-- // --

It was waiting for my flight back home at SFO when the Zimmerman verdict came down. My immediate feelings were crushing disappointment at the jury's call and immense sympathy for the Martin family. Overcoming the self-defence argument is too high of a barrier in the eyes of Florida law. To me, Zimmerman's actions that night were those of an aggressive hot-head who decided to take the law in his own hands. He was supported by a weak gun control laws and a police department that was negligent in their duty to properly investigate the shooting. However, I was not in the courtroom, and the system that is in place has made their decision based on the evidence. I just hope that the marches and rallies are peaceful and lead to some kind of reform
but I am not holding my breath

I also have strong views on the media's handling of this case. It seemed wherever I traveled there would be some TV network (usually CNN) covering this story 24/7. It's another example in a long line of cases where the media salivate at criminal justice stories. They are high on intrigue, inexpensive to cover and great for advertisers. And it encapsulates everything that is wrong with a private, corporate media. Just because a story is intriguing does not mean that it is important, relative to the other news stories of the day. Media outlets with their constant coverage have abdicated any responsibility their have in news that is in the public interest.

Nate Silver agreeing with me on NC. Shocker
North Carolina. Republicans have also not yet identified a top-tier challenger in North Carolina. But the approval ratings of the Democratic incumbent, Kay Hagan, are no better than break-even, which means that a merely decent Republican nominee could make the race very competitive. Although North Carolina is increasingly purple in presidential election years, the coalition of African-Americans and college-aged voters that Democrats depend upon to win races in the state is less likely to turn out for midterm elections.
http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytime...e-a-tossup/?smid=tw-fivethirtyeight&seid=auto

Lists it as a toss-up

Tamanon

Banned
http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/nate-silver-predicts-gop-holding-50-51-senate

Following former Gov. Brian Schweitzer's decision not to run for Montana’s open U.S. Senate seat this weekend, New York Times polling guru Nate Silver predicted Monday that Republicans will hold between 50 to 51 seats in the upper chamber after all ballots are counted in the 2014 Congressional mid-term elections.

Silver hedges in his prediction by reminding his readers that the outcome will be affected by several factors, namely local variables, the quality of candidates yet chosen by both Democrats and Republicans, economic indicators and President Barack Obama's approval rating.

Be afraid!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom