• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT2| Worth 77% of OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I really loved Charlie Pierce's description of North Carolina, which up until recently was known as "the smart one".

Dunno about the NC thing. The state IDs are going to be free, which makes them easier to access than some other forms of ID in many states. People have more than three years to acquire an ID. And you can still vote early for ten days, which seems like it's enough to me.

Now, if they leave the "straight ticket" option on ballots and throw out every ballot that checks it, then I'll have a big problem. But right now it seems like all this stuff is easily manageable if people want to vote, and 2016 features a good ground game - both of which will happen. Black turnout increased in 2012 largely because of these various voter restriction attempts, and I think that will continue in four years even without Obama on the ballot. It gives people the grievance ("they're trying to take our vote away") to vote. I went to the barber shop a couple times during the lead up to the election and constantly saw voter information drives focused on what republicans were trying to do.

Dunno about the NC thing. The state IDs are going to be free, which makes them easier to access than some other forms of ID in many states. People have more than three years to acquire an ID. And you can still vote early for ten days, which seems like it's enough to me.

Now, if they leave the "straight ticket" option on ballots and throw out every ballot that checks it, then I'll have a big problem. But right now it seems like all this stuff is easily manageable if people want to vote, and 2016 features a good ground game - both of which will happen. Black turnout increased in 2012 largely because of these various voter restriction attempts, and I think that will continue in four years even without Obama on the ballot. It gives people the grievance ("they're trying to take our vote away") to vote. I went to the barber shop a couple times during the lead up to the election and constantly saw voter information drives focused on what republicans were trying to do.

Free IDs isn't good enough, in my opinion. The State also should have the burden of distributing them and also retaining them at poll booths for those who show up without them. Otherwise, it's still a poll tax because there is a cost associated with obtaining one.

1369020347923s.jpg

=D

The Ephialtes Establishment in the Republican Party

By: Erick Erickson

I can see how the GOP loses in November of 2014. The establishment and base have moved so far apart the base is about ready to go third party or sit at home. If the GOP does not make a stand against Obamacare, they will not see the energy they need to effectively compete in 2014.

Let me explain what is happening and what will happen.

Karl Rove’s Crossroads group commissioned a poll by North Star Opinion Research. The poll found most Americans do not want the GOP to block “health care reform.” That’s right, Crossroads repeatedly called Obamacare “the healthcare reform law” and was shocked to find people oppose stopping reform. Go figure.

But that poll has been circulated to Republican leaders and they have soiled themselves over it. That is why Mitch McConnell will not support Mike Lee’s strategy to draw a line in the sand against funding Obamacare. That is why John Cornyn withdrew his name from Mike Lee’s letter. That is why Richard Burr of North Carolina calls defunding Obamacare “stupid.”

These men are about power, not principle. They’ve chosen to let polls lead them instead of leading people.

Already, Byron York is out with a piece saying the GOP will not defund Obamacare. Next we will most likely see Kim Strassel of the Wall Street Journal write one of her semi-regular hit pieces on Mike Lee, Ted Cruz, and the rest of the conservatives who want to stand their ground.

Then we will see Jenn Rubin begin another hyperbole laden attack on Jim DeMint and Ted Cruz.

The actual editorial page of the Wall Street Journal will chime in to yet again attack the Hobbits for daring to stand on principles. The Democrats will then dangle the shiny object of the Keystone Pipeline before the GOP. Like dogs scrambling for scraps at the table, the GOP will take it and their editorial friends will hail this as a grand bargain worth taking. Pay no attention to Obamacare being implemented.

We have seen this before. The GOP leadership will cave and dazzle the base with shiny objects. They will then send out fundraising letters in courier type telling you to stand with them and send them money if you want Obamacare defunded.

Leonidas and three hundred Spartans held the pass at Thermopylae against overwhelming Persian odds until Ephialtes betrayed them and led the Persians on a path around. If the Republican Establishment were in Greece, they’d stand with Ephialtes. So desperate are they to regain power, the Republican Establishment will be led by those who promised President Romney and spent hundreds of millions of dollars getting the status quo.

And you can still vote early for ten days, which seems like it's enough to me.

First shalt thou take out the Holy Election Rolls.
Then, shalt thou count to ten, no more, no less.
Ten shalt be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be ten.
Eleven shalt thou not count, nor either count thou nine, excepting that thou then proceed to ten.
Twelve is right out.
Once the number ten, being the tenth number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Ballots towards thy ballot box, which, being perfect in my sight, shall end it.

Honestly, this where I stand. If someone has 10 days to vote and they choose not to that is on them. Many of these states are offering free registration. It's not so much I support them reducing the number of days but I don't see the outrage either.

I also understand why states would do away with same day registration. Folks who want to register when they go to vote seems to me to waiting until the last minute, literally. It does slow down the process for everyone. Do I think that the GOP is doing this for non political reasons? Ofcourse not. It's purely political. I just don't see the actual law itself as something hugely offensive.

Free IDs isn't good enough, in my opinion. The State also should have the burden of distributing them and also retaining them at poll booths for those who show up without them. Otherwise, it's still a poll tax because there is a cost associated with obtaining one.

Good point, and why I dislike requiring drivers licenses. But I actually like NC's requirement more than most states, because they don't have to pay for the ID. And if it can be distributed through mail it would fix one of the more disgusting abuses we've seen lately: the closing of DMV offices in urban areas.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I like that Erickson managed to include a dog whistle to stand your ground in that piece. Truly remarkable.
Don't forget the referenced to the battle of Thermopylae which was depicted in the movie 300 as the white Greek master race valiantly fighting against the ebony skinned Persian horde.

Honestly, this where I stand. If someone has 10 days to vote and they choose not to that is on them. Many of these states are offering free registration. It's not so much I support them reducing the number of days but I don't see the outrage either.

I also understand why states would do away with same day registration. Folks who want to register when they go to vote seems to me to waiting until the last minute, literally. It does slow down the process for everyone. Do I think that the GOP is doing this for non political reasons? Ofcourse not. It's purely political. I just don't see the actual law itself as something hugely offensive.

There is essentially no voter fraud. These measures decrease the number of people who, for whatever reason (many absolutely legitimate reasons - since many objections are due to class privilege and blindness), are able to vote. There is no reason to reduce the number of people who vote.

There is essentially no voter fraud. These measures decrease the number of people who, for whatever reason (many absolutely legitimate reasons - since many objections are due to class privilege and blindness), are able to vote. There is no reason to reduce the number of people who vote.

Oh, I realize there isn't voter fraud (less than 1% right?). I'm simply saying that requiring ID's -- as long as they're provided at no cost and if sent directly to the person as EV said -- isn't something I take issue with. I know that the GOP is doing it strictly for political reasons but if done correctly I don't have a problem with it. The question is if these states will do it fairly and I don't have too much confidence in that happening.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Oh, I realize there isn't voter fraud (less than 1% right?). I'm simply saying that requiring ID's -- as long as they're provided at no cost and if sent directly to the person as EV said -- isn't something I take issue with. I know that the GOP is doing it strictly for political reasons but if done correctly I don't have a problem with it. The question is if these states will do it fairly and I don't have too much confidence in that happening.
If there's no voter fraud, why bother with the cost and effort of getting ID's out? The GOP is doing it to prevent people from voting. Period.

If there's no voter fraud, why bother with the cost and effort of getting ID's out? The GOP is doing it to prevent people from voting. Period.

As long as there is free access to free ID's, I don't have a problem. I just don't. People should have ID's. I'm open to learning why requiring an ID is unconstitutional or immoral but atm I just don't see it.

Chichikov

Weren't the Spartans poised to lose anyway?
Thermopylae didn't matter anyway, Xerxes conquered and burned Athens after it.
The 2nd Greco Persian war was won at Salamis, mostly by those those pussy non professional soldier Athenians and namely Themistocles, but he actually used tactics and wore a shirt, so you're not likely to see a movie about him.

Did somebody say frocks? I love me some frocks!

Z98FVZ1.jpg

Erickson's position is hilarious. He'd rather lose on principles than possible win and at least shift things to the right a bit by compromise.

It's like he doesn't understand the point to politics. Oh right, he doesn't

Ugh.
300 was fucking dreadful.

Careful, we're in the minority on that one. I fucking hated that movie.

The 2nd Greco Persian war was won at Salamis, mostly by those those pussy non professional soldier Athenians and namely Themistocles, but he actually used tactics and wore a shirt, so you're not likely to see a movie about him.
Nerd... <3

Jooney

There a 2nd movie coming out next year which will be focusing on the Athenians.

Jooney

Erikson has the luxury of taking principled stands because he will never have to govern. He will never have to own up to the reality that his side lost on Obamacare legislatively, judicially, and electorally.

That's three strikes Eric. You're out.

User 406

Banned
That’s right, Crossroads repeatedly called Obamacare “the healthcare reform law” and was shocked to find people oppose stopping reform. Go figure.

The nerve of using emotionally loaded and misleading language like "health care reform" instead of plain factual descriptions like OBAMA IS GOING TO MURDER YOUR GRANDMOTHER AND DRINK HER BLOOD.

They will then send out fundraising letters in courier type

tumblr_mkqpl4igRY1s4o431o1_250.gif

Averon

As crazy as the GOP is, I'm still kind of in disbelief that they're fighting back against Obamacare again. I mean, wow. I honestly couldn't predict that there'd be another tantrum over it and that could split the GOP. I really hope it does.

Obamacare's full implementation is getting closer and closer to becoming reality. Once it does, that's it. There will be no way the GOP can get rid of it. That's why they tried so hard to kill it before 2014, going as far as going to the SC. They know it, and that's why you're seeing their freak out about it growing more severe and outlandish.

This is why I can only imagine the attacks and silly antics to delay/sabatoge Obamacare will only grow over the next several months.

I think Erickson knows this is a lost cause, he's just trying to determine who gets blamed. If republicans lose the House in 2014 (a pretty big if), he'll blame RINOs and establishment republicans for it, whereas everyone else will blame the far right. The same applies if republicans keep the House but lose some seats, which seems likely. He's not the supreme dumbass he comes off as: he knows the radical right's end is nigh (as a national party), all he's doing is stalling for time.

I think Erickson knows this is a lost cause, he's just trying to determine who gets blamed. If republicans lose the House in 2014 (a pretty big if), he'll blame RINOs and establishment republicans for it, whereas everyone else will blame the far right. The same applies if republicans keep the House but lose some seats, which seems likely. He's not the supreme dumbass he comes off as: he knows the radical right's end is nigh (as a national party), all he's doing is stalling for time.

I don't know I met Erickson this past spring. He's a true believer, I wouldn't put him in the same category of say rush or hanity who are purely trying to make bank

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
By the way, Erickson has no right to speak about principles. I used to think that he was one of the true believers, but just a few days ago we found out he was plagiarizing fundraising letters by Ann Coulter. Dude's just as much of a grifter as the people he's attacking.

As long as there is free access to free ID's, I don't have a problem. I just don't. People should have ID's. I'm open to learning why requiring an ID is unconstitutional or immoral but atm I just don't see it.

I don't see why anyone's personal idea of "should" needs to be mandated when it comes to voting restrictions, especially absent any supporting evidence whatsoever.

By the way, Erickson has no right to speak about principles. I used to think that he was one of the true believers, but just a few days ago we found out he was plagiarizing fundraising letters by Ann Coulter. Dude's just as much of a grifter as the people he's attacking.

They were less fundraising and more investment scheme spam, right?

I don't know I met Erickson this past spring. He's a true believer, I wouldn't put him in the same category of say rush or hanity who are purely trying to make bank

Oh I believe he's a true believer, but I also believe he's smart enough to realize that the far right is dying, nationally; whereas I think someone like Michelle Bachman truly believes she could have defeated Obama if given the chance.

The main reason we're seeing far right policies blossom on the state level is because the economy sucked in 2010. We'd be living in a very different time if not for that, and I think it highlights the GOP's strategy. The more they sabotage and delay recovery, the more chances they have at another 2010 type election. The economy is going to crash again sooner or later (housing market bubble is returning, among other things), and whoever is in power will get the blame. So while the national GOP may be fucked by demographics, they can easily be saved by another recession if a democrat is in office. Hence the House's behavior over the last 3 years.

I think I need to re-post what this bill does:
  • shortens early voting by 1 week
  • eliminates same day registration and provisional voting if at wrong precinct
  • prevents counties from offering voting on last Saturday before the election beyond 1 pm
  • prevents counties from extending poll hours by one hour on election day in extraordinary circumstances (like lengthy lines)
  • eliminates state supported voter registration drives and preregistration for 16/17 year olds
  • repeals voter owned judicial elections and straight party voting
  • increases number of people who can challenge voters inside the precinct, and
  • purges voter rolls more often
All of this to combat this much voter fraud:
21 million &#8211; estimated numbers of votes cast in North Carolina elections in the last twelve years

1 &#8211; number of cases of voter impersonation fraud that occurred in North Carolina in the last 12 years according to the State Board of Elections

It's a bad bill. There's really no other way to say otherwise, and yes, it is quite offensive given the startling amount of one case of voter fraud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom