• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT2| Worth 77% of OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diablos

Obamacare's full implementation is getting closer and closer to becoming reality. Once it does, that's it. There will be no way the GOP can get rid of it. That's why they tried so hard to kill it before 2014, going as far as going to the SC. They know it, and that's why you're seeing their freak out about it growing more severe and outlandish.

This is why I can only imagine the attacks and silly antics to delay/sabatoge Obamacare will only grow over the next several months.
Eh. It won't stop even now. The next time we have a GOP Pres and Congress Obamacare might end up living a short life. Or, at least, it'll be gutted as I know it's hard to dismantle fully once implemented.

Eh. It won't stop even now. The next time we have a GOP Pres and Congress Obamacare might end up living a short life. Or, at least, it'll be gutted as I know it's hard to dismantle fully once implemented.

If Obamacare succeeds to get 6-7 million new people in the first enrollment period, it's over.

No way the GOP will pass a bill that takes people off health insurance. It's political suicide.

T'Zariah

Banned
Sarah Palin said:
“I was not allowed to talk about things like that because those ‘elitists,’ those who are the brainiacs in the GOP machine, running John McCain’s campaign at the time said that the media would eat us alive if we brought up these things.”

“What that got us, this kind of complacency and self-censoring of a campaign where we weren’t allowed to tell the truth about who this candidate was – Barack Obama – what it got us was a list of these scandals,”.

....I have no words.

Diablos

If Obamacare succeeds to get 6-7 million new people in the first enrollment period, it's over.

No way the GOP will pass a bill that takes people off health insurance. It's political suicide.
They don't give a flying fuck about the people that it helps so I sincerely doubt it.

They don't give a flying fuck about the people that it helps so I sincerely doubt it.

No matter how much they try to change medicare and SS it never happens. Remember when they had Bush, the Senate, and the House? What happened to Bush trying to privatize a part of SS?

They won't have a chance once Obamacare is part of the norm. They'll float the idea, get massive negative feedback from their own constituents, then not do it. Like fucking always. You have to understand how the politics of this work. The crazy conservatives are still the minority in their party. They won't cut people's insurances, ever. It's just political suicide. The majority of the GOP politicians want to keep their job. In fact, the only reason they've been so hard-lines is because they're afraid of losing their job to crazy people. They're kind of fucked in that way, but going full crazy will just kill the party forever. They won't do it.

Hey Dax, North Carolina is having a tough go but hey, at least you ain't North Dakota!

Its got to be absolutely exhausting to be a Fox News conservative. Nobody sees how the world really works but you and your fellow Fox Newsians.

v1d2DyQ.png

No matter how much they try to change medicare and SS it never happens. Remember when they had Bush, the Senate, and the House? What happened to Bush trying to privatize a part of SS?

The ironic part is they probably could have made dents in Medicare and SS if they had gone along with Obama's Grand Bargain. But their stubbornness to raise taxes ONE CENT prevented anything from happening on that front, and now they will probably have to wait another generation. It's kind of funny actually... it's possible Grover Norquist is partly responsible for maintaining the status quo on the bane of conservatives' existence (entitlements)

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I think I need to re-post what this bill does:
  • shortens early voting by 1 week
  • eliminates same day registration and provisional voting if at wrong precinct
  • prevents counties from offering voting on last Saturday before the election beyond 1 pm
  • prevents counties from extending poll hours by one hour on election day in extraordinary circumstances (like lengthy lines)
  • eliminates state supported voter registration drives and preregistration for 16/17 year olds
  • repeals voter owned judicial elections and straight party voting
  • increases number of people who can challenge voters inside the precinct, and
  • purges voter rolls more often
All of this to combat this much voter fraud:

It's a bad bill. There's really no other way to say otherwise, and yes, it is quite offensive given the startling amount of one case of voter fraud.

How does no one in the news call them out on this shit?

Fuchsdh

I think I need to re-post what this bill does:
It's a bad bill. There's really no other way to say otherwise, and yes, it is quite offensive given the startling amount of one case of voter fraud.

Yeah as someone who's definitely on the side of "let's not add random crap on top of what the government can barely do", the voting laws seems like a lot more unnecessary waste for absolutely no gain and fail the sniff test in that respect.

Opiate

A question about the VRA:

How come under Republican administrations the Justice department didn't act, let's say, more flexibly in allowing states covered by the VRA to institute changes to voting practices?

As much as Ginsberg has been great on recent rulings, I hope she would consider stepping down before the next election.

dewb1O3.gif

Did you guys see this?!

130725_FT_Drones_Gender.jpg

So, within the past week we've had men that can't control their penises and men signaling an overall approve of drone strikes more than women. I will now issue a stern "Tsk, Tsk" to the entire male gender:

Tsk, Tsk

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I think he could be a good mayor even if he's a shitty person, but at the same time I wonder if he needs to spend more time working on himself and his family. He clearly has a problem. And his wife...sigh. I was hoping she would rip of the script and slam him during the press conference.

The dude would be a horrible mayor!! Any good that he could do would be kicked to the said by scandals that he'd create on his own. It's not enough to be smart, but you also have to conduct yourself like a professional too.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The dude would be a horrible mayor!! Any good that he could do would be kicked to the said by scandals that he'd create on his own. It's not enough to be smart, but you also have to conduct yourself like a professional too.

That's sort of what he's saying though. That he could be a good mayor if he would just take the time to get his shit together and get the help that he so obviously needs.

EDIT: I'd also like to say I tried the city-bike thing the other day while I was in Manhattan (the subway was like death and I didn't want to deal with it) and it is really really nice. It's cheaper than a cab and not as oppressive as the subway in the summer, there's just something about the wind in your hair that feels nice. I really hope it gets expanded, it's really a great way to get around the city weather permitting.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
So what's the deal about this call center in California that's main job is to explain and imform people about Obamacare, not having any of their employees on any healthcare?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
So what's the deal about this call center in California that's main job is to explain and imform people about Obamacare, not having any of their employees on any healthcare?
Lame if so. But just another piece of evidence that health insurance should be decoupled from employment if it cannot be effectively delivered to low wage or low margin employees.

Edit: I only see right wing sources so far, seems they are all part time jobs. Again the absolute best thing would be to get rid of the tax incentive to proved employee based care, deliver that cash as wages instead, then use the proceeds from the taxes on income/employment to provide subsidies for insurance. .

Karakand

Did you guys see this?!

130725_FT_Drones_Gender.jpg

So, within the past week we've had men that can't control their penises and men signaling an overall approve of drone strikes more than women. I will now issue a stern "Tsk, Tsk" to the entire male gender:

Tsk, Tsk

Spain gets a lot of shit lately, but good job on this one*.
7YiUnEv.gif

Apparently the Americans who answered "Yes" to this survey question added, "We pledge these skulls to Khorne!" Fucked up but true.

*It's kind of sad that recognizing wantonly raining death from the sky as bad is something noteworthy, but such is the mentality of our times.

Good point, and why I dislike requiring drivers licenses. But I actually like NC's requirement more than most states, because they don't have to pay for the ID. And if it can be distributed through mail it would fix one of the more disgusting abuses we've seen lately: the closing of DMV offices in urban areas.

Yup, look at a map of DMV locations in Charlotte.

http://goo.gl/maps/JC7KG

Theres a giant gap in the urban core.

Let me guess, thats where the minorities ive?

Hm? The call centers havent been staffed yet. I have friends checking for the openings every day.

kehs

Banned
Wasn't sure where to post this, but it's about a school switching from having metal detectors and bars on windows to having better relations with students.

Last year when American Paradigm Schools took over Philadelphia's infamous, failing John Paul Jones Middle School, they did something a lot of people would find inconceivable. The school was known as "Jones Jail" for its reputation of violence and disorder, and because the building physically resembled a youth correctional facility. Situated in the Kensington section of the city, it drew students from the heart of a desperately poor hub of injection drug users and street level prostitution where gun violence rates are off the charts. But rather than beef up the already heavy security to ensure safety and restore order, American Paradigm stripped it away. During renovations, they removed the metal detectors and barred windows.

Carolyn Schodt, a registered nurse at Alternatives to Violence who also runs AVP inside Graterford State Prison, says, "We did this with the same students, same parents, same poverty. In one school year serious incidents - drug sales, weapons, assaults, rapes - went from 138 to 15.

"Every day ," says CEO of American Paradigm Schools Stacey Cruise, "they would set up a perimeter of police officers on the blocks around the school, and those police were there to protect neighbors from the children, not to protect the children from the neighborhood." Before school let out the block would clear, neighbors coming in off their porches and fearfully shutting their doors. Nearby bodegas would temporarily close shop. When the bell rung, 800 rambunctious children would stream out the building's front doors, climbing over vehicles parked in front of the school in the rush to get awa

Allowed to respond anonymously to questionnaires, 73% of students said they now felt safe at school, 100% said they feel there's an adult at school who cares about them and 95% said they hope to graduate from college one day.

http://www.theatlantic.com/national...elphia-schools-big-bet-on-nonviolence/277893/

WTF... I just came across this: Link

People dismissed Summers’s chances a month or two ago, but he’s increasingly viewed as the leading candidate today — and opinions on this, for reasons I don’t fully understand (though I suspect have to do with a bunch of elite trial balloons going up at the same time), have really hardened in the last 72 hours. So after conversations with plugged-in sources both inside and outside the process, here’s what’s behind the changing odds:

WTF... WHY????? PLEASE DO NOT PUT SUMMERS TO HEAD FEDERAL RESERVE!

Obama is backing Summers???? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Wasn't sure where to post this, but it's about a school switching from having metal detectors and bars on windows to having better relations with students.

http://www.theatlantic.com/national...elphia-schools-big-bet-on-nonviolence/277893/

Treating human beings like human beings makes them act like human beings. Treating human beings like animals makes them act like animals. It's a pretty simple concept really.

Like I said, in any scenario where it seems like a toss up, expect the worst, because the worst is bound to happen.

It's been a long time since I've been pleasantly surprised by something at the federal level. The end of insider trading by congress is about the only thing I remember being pleasantly surprised about, and that just got reversed a year later after the media stopped caring about it.

I imagine those on the right are going to regret calling the Affordable Care Act "Obamacare" when things actually turn out to be pretty good.
I'm still upset that the bill was really a stripped down version of what it really was.

But I think we are up to attempt number 40 now on repeal attempts on this thing. Why is that? Is it earning them points with voters? Or are they just purposefully wasting time?

Who is this guy? The article mentions

-being difficult to work with
-financial deregulation

Are those the big things? Or are there more reasons I do not understand?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Treating people like people makes them act like people. I could have told you this would work, it's what my high school did. Admittedly we did have a couple of bomb threats at one point but those were freshman out to get out of a test.

This is the first time I've ever read a story in which a charter school worked.

Like all things it depends on who is running the school and the caliber of teachers.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Who is this guy? The article mentions

-being difficult to work with
-financial deregulation

Are those the big things? Or are there more reasons I do not understand?

The first thing is mainly about him being a dick to women, and the second thing was one of the major reasons we had the financial crash.

In Summers defense, he's reversed course on the deregulation stuff.

He's also a huge supported of additional stimulus spending.

Diablos

Meh, not really worried about Summers. As stated he's changed positions on some of the things that make people hate him, and I don't even want to know who Romney would be thinking about right now

You mean this last time?

electoral-map-1996-clinton-vs-dole-picture.jpg

Okay, if you insist.

He's also flat out lying about the results. Republicans gained 2 senate seats in 1996, not 6. And they lost 8 House seats.

House republicans aren't going to win a shut down battle with Obama, it doesn't take a genius to figure that out.

bonercop

He's also a huge supported of additional stimulus spending.

Summers was the one responsible for the watered down stimulus package, btw, just one of the many innumerable fuck-ups in his career.

Seriously, look up this guy's track record. He's a colossal fuck-up in every sense of the word, and yet he keeps getting powerful positions in government over and over again. Regardless whether he "changed his ways" or not(which I don't buy for a second): shouldn't he face the consequences for all the mistakes he has already made? Why does he deserve a 9th chance to fuck things up? what happened with accountability?

If he posted a picture of his dick to some girl on the internet, his career would be over. Being one of the assholes responsible for the '08 crash, though? ah, whatever, people change

Fuchsdh

Speaking of Rush, what the hell happened to Glenn Beck? I feel like he's disappeared from the face of the earth (though that would be too good to be true.)

Summers was the one responsible for the watered down stimulus package, btw, just one of the many innumerable fuck-ups in his career.

Seriously, look up this guy's track record. He's a colossal fuck-up in every sense of the word, and yet he keeps getting powerful positions in government over and over again. Regardless whether he "changed his ways" or not(which I don't buy for a second): shouldn't he face the consequences for all the mistakes he has already made? Why does he deserve a 9th chance to fuck things up? what happened with accountability?

If he posted a picture of his dick to some girl on the internet, his career would be over. Being one of the assholes responsible for the '08 crash, though? ah, whatever, people change
I hate this slimeball with a passion. He was the chief architect of removing Glass-Steagall.

Democrats in California lost their super-majority in the state senate in a special race. The person who held the seat went to take a job with Chevron.

22% registered republicans, and the democrat lost.

2014 anyone?

Fuchsdh

Glenn Beck is proof that there's a sucker born every minute.

I've done some graphics for a conservative news agency that seems to have a side gig in scams, including this "God wants you to make tons of money, here's how"-type guy who is supposed to give you investment tips. They also sell a book on surviving Obamacare. There's certainly a market out there.

I've done some graphics for a conservative news agency that seems to have a side gig in scams, including this "God wants you to make tons of money, here's how"-type guy who is supposed to give you investment tips. They also sell a book on surviving Obamacare. There's certainly a market out there.

They're about 60% of the people who click "free iPhone" ads and believe it's going to work. That's a lot of fucking people.

The funniest thing about Erick Erickson is that he has called out the scam nature of consultants who bleed money from GOP campaigns...while he personally participates in scams that bleed money from conservative readers. Obamacare alone has probably raised hundreds of millions of dollars for these people, off false hopes that repeal is just around the corner. Just give me $5 to end Obamacare! Find out the truth about Benghazi, give me $10! National success is irrelevant when you have a solid 20% of the country who will believe anything you say and buy just about anything you throw out.

Then there's the various gold buying and survival kit bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom