• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.
DATJF9vXcAABUdy.jpg

Oh man, this list. This has to be a joke, right?

I don't even know anymore.

So I was looking through the fox news comments on their story about the white supremacist University of Maryland student who stabbed the black military officer visiting campus. Most of the comments blamed his behavior on "liberal brainwashing" and of course fox's article never mentioned his participation in the alt-reich group. You have to be pretty far out there to think people become white supremacists because of dirty liberal college professors or whatever. Like, the cognitive dissonance required to believe that Trump supporters and alt-right folks are only ever victims and never the perpetrators is incredible. Bubbles can be popped, these people live in a concrete fortress.

kirblar

So I was looking through the fox news comments on their story about the white supremacist University of Maryland student who stabbed the black military officer visiting campus. Most of the comments blamed his behavior on "liberal brainwashing" and of course fox's article never mentioned his participation in the alt-reich group. You have to be pretty far out there to think people become white supremacists because of dirty liberal college professors or whatever. Like, the cognitive dissonance required to believe that Trump supporters and alt-right folks are only ever victims and never the perpetrators is incredible. Bubbles can be popped, these people live in a concrete fortress.
Well of course they blame minorities for white supremacy!

Easier to blame your opponents than your team for these people.

Reddit is quite the frustrating hellscape of political discussion.

Me: "Modern Conservatives vote straight Republican."

Other Person: "Oh, so you know how all Conservatives vote now???"

Me: "Here's Exit Poll data from 1976 through 2016, Conservatives have voted for Republicans 3:1 or more every Election since Reagan, so Yes I do."

Apparently now we're reduced to arguing whether or not Conservatives vote for the Conservative Party that brags about how Conservative it's candidates are...

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Just looking at some old news for some reason and man, Democrats need to do better at messaging. Like the military, you'd have people swear up and down that libruls hate the veterans and shit and then I read this headline from an old article on military.com

http://www.military.com/veteran-jobs/search/government-jobs/federal-hiring-of-veterans-new-high.html

Federal Hiring of Veterans Reaches 20-Year High

Nearly 29 percent of federal government hires in fiscal 2011 went to military veterans, marking a 20-year high, U.S. Office of Personnel Management Director John Berry said today.

Berry released what he called preliminary numbers from fiscal 2011 following a meeting of the President's Council on Veterans Employment, an Obama administration initiative he credited with the increases in veteran hiring.

"President Obama created the Veterans Employment Initiative to help employ our veterans, transitioning service members and military spouses as an integral part of keeping our sacred promise to America's veterans. It's working," Berry said.

I'm more engaged in politics than most and this is the first I've heard of it? Why?

Ecotic

Ossoff's commercials are so good. The talent and instincts are there. I'm just outside of his district but I'm so involved in his race now. I don't want to lose an opportunity for this guy to rise, there's just not any other viable opportunities for democrats in Georgia for national exposure outside of a House seat.

Jon Oliver mentioned it tonight but I've noticed it as well over the past few weeks. The Trump black hole is so large that it's literally taken over the entire news media. This has let a lot of stuff slip through the cracks even though there are actually horrific things being considered and implemented.

teiresias

Just looking at some old news for some reason and man, Democrats need to do better at messaging. Like the military, you'd have people swear up and down that libruls hate the veterans and shit and then I read this headline from an old article on military.com

http://www.military.com/veteran-jobs/search/government-jobs/federal-hiring-of-veterans-new-high.html

I'm more engaged in politics than most and this is the first I've heard of it? Why?

I mean, you answered your own question. Democrats and the Obama administration in particular are/were horribly at taking credit and playing up work that is easy to play up as wins. I don't know if Obama felt it was below the dignity of the Presidential office or not, but it was really damn stupid.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Jon Oliver mentioned it tonight but I've noticed it as well over the past few weeks. The Trump black hole is so large that it's literally taken over the entire news media. This has let a lot of stuff slip through the cracks even though there are actually horrific things being considered and implemented.

I know, I need a not trump podcast at this point to keep up.

The main thing I can think of in the last couple weeks is the Erdogan protesters being beat up, which got some coverage but would be a gigantic thing in any other presidency, and the ISP reclassification getting passed 2-1 into the final phase for the final vote, because tech news is covering it.

I don't know what else is going on, but I'm sure there's a ton.

Loxley

One of the things that annoys me the most about the Democratic party right now is how the Dems have essentially allowed the Republicans to get away with claiming ownership of the military and veterans. It's a disgusting thing, to insinuate that Democrats hate the military and don't care about veterans, so why the hell Dems haven't made more of a stink about it is beyond me.

I'm seriously waiting for some elected Dem to genuinely get pissed the next time a Republican spews that shit and just goes off about how sick it is for Republicans to act like liberals don't care about veterans.

One of the things that annoys me the most about the Democratic party right now is how the Dems have essentially allowed the Republicans to get away with claiming ownership of the military and veterans. It's a disgusting thing, to insinuate that Democrats hate the military and don't care about veterans, so why the hell Dems haven't made more of a stink about it is beyond me.

I'm seriously waiting for some elected Dem to genuinely get pissed the next time a Republican spews that shit and just goes off about how sick it is for Republicans to act like liberals don't care about veterans.

"If they go, low we go high."

Good words to live by, but it doesn't work when dealing with someone that doesn't play by your rules. Dems are so worried about appearing the good guys that they forgot to defend themselves and more aggressively go after Republicans( I think some do actually).

Ernest

Banned
Trump 'exhausted' three days into first trip abroad as president

A White House official told reporters that President Trump is "exhausted" just three days into his first trip abroad as president.

Trump was expected to say "Islamist extremism" during his speech to Muslim leaders in Saudi Arabia, but instead said "Islamic extremism."

When asked why Trump deviated from the prepared text of his speech, an administration official said Trump is "just an exhausted guy."

Low energy. Sad.

And he still has to visit Israel, France, Italy, the United Kingdom, and Belgium.

Chumly

The dude's used to going to his resorts every weekend, and there's been reports of him not looking forward to this trip. It's not surprising.
And he's a tub of lard who doesn't work out. Its not really surprising that he doesn't have the stamina to do something like this.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder how Trump's going to make it through his first term without dieing of a heart attack.

Honestly, we should remove him from office for his own good.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
President of Zimbabwe still at it past 90. He looks really good for 70. Not even a cane.

Does the president of Zimbabwe have no idea what he's doing in a job that requires way more work than he's used to, and deeply cares about what other people, particularly hollywood and cable news, think of him, while dealing with some of the biggest scandals and lowest approval ratings in presidential history?

Sure, if you like Trump being president.
I mean I'm already ready to support Brown, Klobuchar, Franken, Murphy, or even Gillibrand if they run and are serious candidates. If the choice is between Chafee and someone more terrible I'd probably vote for Chafee since my vote won't matter anyways.

Chafee won't run lol

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I mean I'm already ready to support Brown, Klobuchar, Franken, Murphy, or even Gillibrand if they run and are serious candidates. If the choice is between Chafee and someone more terrible I'd probably vote for Chafee since my vote won't matter anyways.

Chafee won't run lol

I guess if the choice is something like Jeb or Chafee, I might go with Chafee too.

EDIT: I don't mean that there's no one worse than Chaffee in the party that might run, but it'd be depressing to the point of giving up if democrats can't do better than that.

Without even searching, I'm going to assume that list is from @RoguePOTUSStaff. So yes, it's bullshit. However, like that account started with some degree of credibility, they went too far with it so it's easy to ID as bullshit. It would be completely possible to create an insane list that was still believable but they stopped putting in any effort. Like, other than the non-food sundries, that's not entirely preposterous. In fact it's just the non-food items that are silly. It doesn't look terribly out of place from what any random eccentric VIP might demand. Adding "ice cream, 2 scoops" would have been a nice touch.

Oh, right, and he drinks diet coke. Duh. C'mon fake twitter account, at least read over your lists before posting them! It's not funny if we know it's fake from the very top! Really would not be hard to come up with a fake memo that would look Trump-level realistic/crazy, sadly.

I guess if the choice is something like Jeb or Chafee, I might go with Chafee too.

EDIT: I don't mean that there's no one worse than Chaffee in the party that might run, but it'd be depressing to the point of giving up if democrats can't do better than that.
I just like Chafee because he's a weird dinosaur from sixty years ago in the wrong period of time. We'd be totally fucked if he was the best candidate though.

sazzy

First Priebus left and returned to WH...

Now CNN is reporting that Banon has also left to be at the WH by Monday morning...

is this benign or is something up?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member

Now CNN is reporting that Banon has also left to be at the WH by Monday morning...

Banon got legit shook seeing the foreign hordes in person. Coming home to board up the White House windows.

They were all so polite! It was strange, as if they were just people.

There is no way this trip doesn't get cancelled halfway through.
Heh not a chance. They will just curtail or cancel lesser events on the schedule.

Canceling the trip outright would be a PR disaster.

Can't blame Trump, whenever I go somewhere on vacation I'd rather sleep in until noon everyday than cram my day full of events.

Oh wait, yes I can because Trump is the fucking president and doing official business, not some dumb tourist gawking at the local sights.

Wait, so Iran's reform party basically controls the entire parliament? Hmmm... if only US Politicians would stop treating them like evil incarnate while sucking up to the hyper oppressive Saudi Government...

kirblar

The problem goes back to Vietnam and the incredibly shitty way vets were treated by our far flank. People commented Clinton's last two days felt like an '80s GOP convention in many ways - this was a good thing! Taking that language/ownership away from them is what we should be doing.

Pixieking

Banned
Wait, so Iran's reform party basically controls the entire parliament? Hmmm... if only US Politicians would stop treating them like evil incarnate while sucking up to the hyper oppressive Saudi Government...

Their actions are just going to isolate the US, and push any potential business deals towards Europe. If Trump and the GOP weren't so ignorant, this could've been US diplomats and US companies instead of European ones. I mean, Italian steel? No doubt there's a lot of factors in a deal like this, but US business leaders should be pushing back against the antagonistic talk of politicians.

Trump, and what he's bound to say after meetings in Israel today: "Who would have thought peace in the middle east was so complicated? It's like they've been fighting for thousands of years or something."

Edit: Hah, his suit is buttoned closed so his tie isn't flailing around in the breeze. The same cannot be said of his hair. You'd think they'd plaster that down for times he's outdoors.
Fake extra edit: Was short lived. The suit is open, though the tie may be taped on? We can only imagine. And someone get some lip reading experts on this video. If it's interesting enough to whisper to one another aside from their wives, it's probably amusing and/or critical to national security.
More fake extra edit: They brought Marine One all this way? Woah.
98% chance it's nothing. Maybe they just want some rest before having go to Europe for the conferences they actually think are important, particularly G7. Maybe they want to meet with Republicans and strategize how to reassemble the ship in a bottle in the oval office Trump smashed 2 weeks ago. However, I'm not sure if there are enough remaining babysitters for Trump to keep him 100% behaved while he's in such ludicrous complex foreign policy situations, and this might be dangerous.

1% chance they're briefing Pence for a coup, which would be hilarious. Finally, a 1% chance they're meeting with investigators and/or lawyers of one form or another, and they think this is a good time to do it while Trump wouldn't be able to track all their movements in DC. You KNOW Trump demands to know where they all are at all times, paranoid of the leaks and whatnot.

We got enough gifs out of Bannon

Trump budget to slash entitlements by $1.7 trillion

President Trump's 2018 budget proposal on Tuesday won't reform Social Security or Medicare — in line with his campaign promise — but it will make serious cuts to other entitlement programs. A source with direct knowledge tells me the Trump budget will save $1.7 trillion on the mandatory side over the next ten years.

Expected reaction: In the past couple days I've spoken to a number of White House officials about the budget proposal. The best summary, from one White House source: "Conservatives will love it; moderates will probably hate it." These mandatory cuts — especially to politically-sensitive programs like food stamps — will make some moderate Republicans as nervous as the recent healthcare bill did.

Balanced budget: I am told Trump's budget will balance over ten years. To get there, it will propose tough cuts on both the mandatory and discretionary sides — e.g. to the EPA and State Department — and will assume that the U.S economy will grow at 3 percent instead of the 1.6 percent rate it grew in 2016. The 3 percent growth rate will be reached after a few years, not immediately.
Where the entitlement cuts are made: From programs including SNAP (food stamps), CHIP (Children's Health Insurance Program), and SSDI (Disability Insurance). The budget proposal will also assume that Trump can sign into law the American Health Care Act — the Obamacare repeal and replace bill that passed the House and is now being considered by the Senate. That bill makes substantial cuts to Medicaid.
How the entitlement money will be saved: The source tells me there'll be an "emphasis on work requirements for able-bodied people" to save money on these social welfare programs.

"Good news" budget items the administration will tout:

Student loans: As the Washington Post previewed: "students currently can have the balance of their loan forgiven after paying 10 percent of their income for 20 years. Trump's proposal — which makes good on a campaign promise — would raise the maximum payment to 12.5 percent of income, but shorten the payment period to 15 years."

Pell grants: As the Post previewed: "The spending plan supports year-round Pell Grants, which allow low-income students to use the money for three semesters of college, instead of two. That way, students can take a full load of courses year-round and earn a degree faster."
Dems need to hammer this home!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom